Kerbal Space Program 1.1 Hype Train Thread.

Whirligig Girl

Seems like there should be a thread about how it's playing. It's an open beta (for people who happen to have steam, vs the rest of us), so shouldn't it be OK to show it, or at least talk about it on the forums?

I think the train's structure is still oscillating from running over a hump in the tracks (the divide caused by the open beta) and it's quite distracting.

@tater They will be allowed to post videos and the like, on the forums discussion will be contained in a dedicated board.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

1 hour ago, tater said:

Seems like there should be a thread about how it's playing. It's an open beta (for people who happen to have steam, vs the rest of us), so shouldn't it be OK to show it, or at least talk about it on the forums?

When the prerelease starts there will be a separate forum section for 1.1 discussion.

22 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

I think the train's structure is still oscillating from running over a hump in the tracks (the divide caused by the open beta) and it's quite distracting.

@tater They will be allowed to post videos and the like, on the forums discussion will be contained in a dedicated board.

Thanks, I think I was under the misunderstanding it had already started, since I am not going to be able to try it as I'm a 2d class hype train rider (non-steam) I read the initial announcement, then stopped paying attention because it doesn't do me any good.

Edited by tater

People who are upset about not being able to do the public beta because they don't have steam seem to be misunderstanding what the public beta is for. The public beta is not a gift to players, it's a gift from players. It's not going to be fun to play. It's meant for testing the inevitably buggy game on a massive scale.

On one hand, I've been so excited for this for months (I was sure they'd have it out before Christmas!) that I'm almost apathetic now. But every so often it hits me like "holy [kerbal excrement]! It's coming! The performance boost, the graphics, the 64bit, so much everything!". At the current rate 1.1 will be released right in the middle of my final exams... so I'm planning on just hiring a barista nurse to give me caffeine direct through IV. 

7 minutes ago, SgtSomeone said:

But every so often it hits me like "holy [kerbal excrement]! It's coming! The performance boost, the graphics, the 64bit, so much everything!"

Exactly.

What's happening is the hype train has been accelerating for days at a rate that is imperceptible to the people inside. By now we're well past Mach 2. Or something.

(I just noticed that this entire thread is pretty much full of roleplay. Hype doesn't care about mortals and their "rules")

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

2 hours ago, tdonovan4 said:

Good question.

For an 11 month wait, it's not exactly overflowing with new things.  A new landing gear and an inflatable heat shield.  Yeah, it's nice to have 64-bit support, nice they're on a new game engine, and nice that they're fixing and tweaking stuff, but to me that's just things that should have been done in the .9's.  I'm not hyped by 2 parts and making an actual release candidate nearly one year after being released.

2 hours ago, ArmchairGravy said:

For an 11 month wait, it's not exactly overflowing with new things.  A new landing gear and an inflatable heat shield.  Yeah, it's nice to have 64-bit support, nice they're on a new game engine, and nice that they're fixing and tweaking stuff, but to me that's just things that should have been done in the .9's.  I'm not hyped by 2 parts and making an actual release candidate nearly one year after being released.

Wow!  11 months... 

I'm reminded of the iPhone 3s release when a raging fanboy blogged, "And I shaved my B@££s for this?!"

I hope the hype is worth it. 

I expect there needs to be some maintenance on the hype train. Must be rusted after all these months languishing in station. 

7 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Exactly.

What's happening is the hype train has been accelerating for days at a rate that is imperceptible to the people inside. By now we're well past Mach 2. Or something.

(I just noticed that this entire thread is pretty much full of roleplay. Hype doesn't care about mortals and their "rules")

Actually we're just barely at orbital velocity around Earth as of this morning. Of course it doesn't mean much of anything because we're travelling in metaspace, not space normal. Speed is not the measure of Hype of a Hype Train, the same way Velocity is not the measure of power of a Rocket. Instead, acceleration is what matters, and we are barely accelerating at standard gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

14 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

People who are upset about not being able to do the public beta because they don't have steam seem to be misunderstanding what the public beta is for. The public beta is not a gift to players, it's a gift from players. It's not going to be fun to play. It's meant for testing the inevitably buggy game on a massive scale.

People aren't complaining any more, bringing it up randomly will only make the problem worse :P