Kerbal Space Program 1.1 Hype Train Thread.

Whirligig Girl

1 hour ago, federicoaa said:

There was a bit of a hiccup when staging some big rockets, but maybe it was because he was playing in a laptop.

No, that issue has most likely to do with the multicore support. While every ship can only run on a single core, multiple ships can use one core each. So the lag's cause was probably the decoupled parts being shifted to another core. Might be lowered, but I don't expect it to fully go away. Small price in my opinion. I wonder if ship collisions will be less precise because of it?

That Laptop was highend btw, so it's definitely on the level of mid-, maybe even low highend desktop CPU.

The thing that struck me most wasn't general performance or anything, tho, but just how much better performance scaled with ship size. For me, 100 part ships run super smooth. A 214 part vessel runs for at 40fps (static at pad), and was afair around 60 in the stream. But at 318 parts my PC already went down to 9fps, while bigger ships in the stream scaled much more linearly, and even a 450 part ship didn't crush the framerate.

While it my take a while, that's gonna be especially awesome for Realism Overhaul! Not to mention RSS high, but that's another thing.

Edited by Temeter

35 minutes ago, Temeter said:

No, that issue has most likely to do with the multicore support. While every ship can only run on a single core, multiple ships can use one core each. So the lag's cause was probably the decoupled parts being shifted to another core. Might be lowered, but I don't expect it to fully go away. Small price in my opinion. I wonder if ship collisions will be less precise because of it?

That Laptop was highend btw, so it's definitely on the level of mid-, maybe even low highend desktop CPU.

The thing that struck me most wasn't general performance or anything, tho, but just how much better performance scaled with ship size. For me, 100 part ships run super smooth. A 214 part vessel runs for at 40fps (static at pad), and was afair around 60 in the stream. But at 318 parts my PC already went down to 9fps, while bigger ships in the stream scaled much more linearly, and even a 450 part ship didn't crush the framerate.

While it my take a while, that's gonna be especially awesome for Realism Overhaul! Not to mention RSS high, but that's another thing.

Wait, so that means I can fly 4 planes in formation without lag? :D

Just watched it via the link.

The performance increase looks very encouraging, it's good to actually see it rather than just hearing that it's 'a lot better'.  I know all machines will be different and the laptop used seemed to have a pretty good spec, but based on that it looks like we should all notice a very worthwhile improvement.  Good stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the tweaks and changes as we approach full release playtime.

(Adds another shovel of hype coal to the firebox)

My only worry about 1.1 so far is how it's going to affect planes with the current landing gear setup. With many Mk3 planes, one will see either tons of them with front landing gear with four wheels (ew) or landing gear that's too short. I hope the prerelease will change things.

But aside from that, it looks really good so far. I'm excited hyped!

27 minutes ago, Columbia said:

My only worry about 1.1 so far is how it's going to affect planes with the current landing gear setup. With many Mk3 planes, one will see either tons of them with front landing gear with four wheels (ew) or landing gear that's too short. I hope the prerelease will change things.

But aside from that, it looks really good so far. I'm excited hyped!

We got 4 sets of landing gear, should work out. You're right in that the largest 2 wheel steering landing gear has gotten a bit smaller tho. Otoh, the 3/4 size landing gear was to big for many MK3 planes anyway.

Edited by Temeter

1 minute ago, vagabond77 said:

Hi!

So, if I understand correctly, the beta is canceled and the official 1.1 should arrive in a couple of weeks?

No. Where did you get that info from?

The current 1.1 beta is available to streamers to use this weekend. I expect the public beta will be shortly after if not at the same time.

2 weeks or so of open beta, then official release.

That's the plan as I understand it.

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

We got 4 sets of landing gear, should work out. You're right in that the largest 2 wheel steering landing gear has gotten a bit smaller tho. Otoh, the 3/4 size landing gear was to big for many MK3 planes anyway.

I'm looking forward to the new gear options, and I plan to review the gear on all my planes anyway.  I don't have anything in flight that could have a problem landing by a sudden change in gear, just a few unscrewed test flights in my R&D save that I just haven't deorbited yet.  I may just leave them and see what happens 'for science,'

10 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

BUT BUT BUT BUT....... BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT.............BUTT BUTT.......

I thought the Hype train was going to stop at every capital city to pick up passengers.... :( My bag is packed, I'm ready to go...

and you left without ........me? :(

(sniff) its OK..... don't worry about me..... I'll ...be.... (sob!) fine.....

I'll wait for the next NASA launch and stow away..... :(

Don't worry! Since we're in metaspace, all of the stations are one station. You can still get on, don't worry!

20 minutes ago, pandaman said:

I'm looking forward to the new gear options, and I plan to review the gear on all my planes anyway.  I don't have anything in flight that could have a problem landing by a sudden change in gear, just a few unscrewed test flights in my R&D save that I just haven't deorbited yet.  I may just leave them and see what happens 'for science,'

Ye. And landing Gear is easy to replace anyway. Stuff lioke wings would screw up some designs, gear can well be an afterthought.

Crazy. I get sick, like, once a year. Last time I was sick was the weekend that they did the prerelease Twitch party for 1.0. This weekend (actually most of this week, and it shows no signs of stopping before the weekend is through) I'm sick again.

Hopefully this isn't an omen that the streams are going to suck.

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Crazy. I get sick, like, once a year. Last time I was sick was the weekend that they did the prerelease Twitch party for 1.0. This weekend (actually most of this week, and it shows no signs of stopping before the weekend is through) I'm sick again.

Hopefully this isn't an omen that the streams are going to suck.

I'm sick too, mate. Sometimes you just got bad luck. Otoh, you got an excuse for sitting in front of you PC all day. Get well for every other symptom. ;)

Don't think the streams are going to be super phenomenal, most of the changes are under the hood - but what changes they are! Gonna be fun to watch large things do stuff without slow motion tho.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Looking good.  Media group pre-release this weekend.

Public pre-release seems like it must be right around the corner bend.

Happy landings!

Good news !

Will 1.1 finally fix the encounter plotting bugs?

I don't mean when you barely have an encounter and your craft's rotation or floating point precision makes it go back and forth.

I mean when I have a 100km periapsis on a Duna encounter and it's flickering between that and a complete miss for no reason.  Or when I'm bringing the periapsis in closer, and the encounter just disappears even if I'm actually going to slam straight into the planet.

8 minutes ago, zarakon said:

I don't mean when you barely have an encounter and your craft's rotation or floating point precision makes it go back and forth.

I mean when I have a 100km periapsis on a Duna encounter and it's flickering between that and a complete miss for no reason.  Or when I'm bringing the periapsis in closer, and the encounter just disappears even if I'm actually going to slam straight into the planet.

The second aspect you mention there is more important than the first.  The rotation induced inaccuracy is unavoidable given KSP's data model, but I'm pretty sure that the slam-into-the-planet-not-showing-an-encounter issue is some special case that isn't being handled correctly that COULD be fixed...

12 minutes ago, zarakon said:

I don't have a link or anything but I distinctly recall that being asked and answered: Yes. Your near approaches to Duna won't suddenly vanish just as you get them down near the atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't have a link or anything but I distinctly recall that being asked and answered: Yes. Your near approaches to Duna won't suddenly vanish just as you get them down near the atmosphere.

I think so, was afair in a devnote about the redone map view.

Small flickering caused by the CoM of a ship shifting probably can't be fixed. That one isn't as much of an issue tho.

5 minutes ago, oLinx said:

What is the approximate size of the fairings ?

What fairings?

Edited by Temeter

18 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Yay!  /hype!

Dang, missed it, at least I can watch VoD

Also, HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY HYPEITY

edit: *also grabs a ticket for teh hypetrain and hops on*

Edited by smjjames