jfjohnny5

1.1 bringing 64-bit support?

Recommended Posts

I remember seeing dev talk of this when 1.1 was first announced, and admittedly I haven't read every DevNote Tuesday since then, but I can't say I've seen mention of 64-bit support in recent posts. I understand Unity 5 has better 64-bit support, but it would still be up to Squad to implement it. I'm hoping I can use more mods with 1.1 - especially with the performance increases that have been hinted at. Has there been any confirmation that 64-bit support is coming with 1.1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game already has 64-bit support, I've been playing it since like, 0.23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, regex said:

The game already has 64-bit support, I've been playing it since like, 0.23.

Linux?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, regex said:

The game already has 64-bit support, I've been playing it since like, 0.23.

1.1 bring official working 64-bit support to windows without the need for a hack to make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShawnPhillips said:

1.1 bring official working 64-bit support to windows without the need for a hack to make it work.

That's what I meant - "official" 64-bit support. Thanks for confirming! Super excited!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Yep. 64 bit is confirmed all the way.

Ive yet to see Squad mention a single thing about the 64bit client that wasn't posted six months ago. They've been awfully quiet on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Ive yet to see Squad mention a single thing about the 64bit client that wasn't posted six months ago. They've been awfully quiet on that.

Everyone has been getting hyped and screaming "64 BIT!!" for months now.

I'm pretty sure Squad would have stopped them if it weren't true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Ive yet to see Squad mention a single thing about the 64bit client that wasn't posted six months ago. They've been awfully quiet on that.

They also didn't mention that the game is still about rockets, but that doesn't mean you should assume it's a farm simulator now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squad has known of the player demand for the 64bit client for three years now I believe. All im saying is to tread lightly. Squad has come out with NOTHING regarding the 64bit client in what id say is about six months. So who knows.. are they having problems with it? Is it as stable as it needs to be? Still cant right click parts? (:P) Lol so just don't get your hopes up until we get official word. And IMO saying "64bit is confirmed all the way." is asking for disappointment.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

They also didn't mention that the game is still about rockets, but that doesn't mean you should assume it's a farm simulator now.

... That doesn't make very much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

... That doesn't make very much sense.

Nor does questioning if “64 bit” is still under development. The 1.1. upgrade is all about Unity 5. This is mentioned in about every Devnote. Unity 5 supports 64 bits. It's not rocket science. And if it were... Well, we are where we are, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

They also didn't mention that the game is still about rockets, but that doesn't mean you should assume it's a farm simulator now.

Security!  SECURITY!  We have a breach!!

How did you find out about the plan to convert KSP to a farming simulator??

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Nor does questioning if “64 bit” is still under development. The 1.1. upgrade is all about Unity 5. This is mentioned in about every Devnote. Unity 5 supports 64 bits. It's not rocket science. And if it were... Well, we are where we are, right?

You truly believe its wise to assume a feature is going to be fully implanted without hearing of it from the devs? One of the most sought after features is that 64bit client and we've had nothing but silence from Squad. So you assume that its perfectly fine? I'm sure it will be, but again all I'm saying is until we here it from SQUAD ( I don't care what Unity says ) that the 64bit client is a full go I will remain skeptical.

Your asking for disappointment when assuming things by setting unrealistic expectations.

We must wait on Squads word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

You truly believe its wise to assume a feature is going to be fully implanted without hearing of it from the devs? One of the most sought after features is that 64bit client and we've had nothing but silence from Squad. So you assume that its perfectly fine? I'm sure it will be, but again all I'm saying is until we here it from SQUAD ( I don't care what Unity says ) that the 64bit client is a full go I will remain skeptical.

Your asking for disappointment when assuming things by setting unrealistic expectations.

We must wait on Squads word.

Yes, waiting is the best. In fact, waiting will give us the answer IF there will be a version 1.1. Because we can't be sure of that either until it is actually published, no? In that respect your question, that assumes there will be a version 1.1 is very optimistic and you are setting yourself up for disappointment... Best to just wait and not ask unrealistic (assuming the publication of 1.1) questions in the first place!

On a less drolling note; the Unity 5 client exists. It is not something that we need to depend on Squad to develop. The Unity 5 client has a stable 64 bit version. Again, it doesn't require Squad to develop this. All that is required for a stable 64 bit windows version (well, as "stable" as the 32 bit windows version is...), is for Squad to develop a KSP version that uses the Unity 5 client. And that is exactly what Squad is doing, and what Squad is telling us every week. So what exactly is so uncertain about 1.1 being 64 bit? That Squad secretly has continued to work on the Unity 4 client, while telling us that they are working on the Unity 5 client? Why believe anything Squad says in that case? A weekly claim that they are still working on the 64 bit version would be just as empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Yes, waiting is the best. In fact, waiting will give us the answer IF there will be a version 1.1. Because we can't be sure of that either until it is actually published, no? In that respect your question, that assumes there will be a version 1.1 is very optimistic and you are setting yourself up for disappointment... Best to just wait and not ask unrealistic (assuming the publication of 1.1) questions in the first place!

On a less drolling note; the Unity 5 client exists. It is not something that we need to depend on Squad to develop. The Unity 5 client has a stable 64 bit version. Again, it doesn't require Squad to develop this. All that is required for a stable 64 bit windows version (well, as "stable" as the 32 bit windows version is...), is for Squad to develop a KSP version that uses the Unity 5 client. And that is exactly what Squad is doing, and what Squad is telling us every week. So what exactly is so uncertain about 1.1 being 64 bit? That Squad secretly has continued to work on the Unity 4 client, while telling us that they are working on the Unity 5 client? Why believe anything Squad says in that case? A weekly claim that they are still working on the 64 bit version would be just as empty.

Okay. Nevermind. You've blown this WAY to out of proportion and your wondering into serious straw-man territory. Forget I ever said anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

64 bit CPUs have been on the desktop since 2003 so I'm actually surprised that people are still writing 32 bit software. In fact, as someone with a 64bit PC it's highly irritating - especially in games when I find that the game can't even use the full power that's available to it. It used to be that games were limited by the hardware - now they're limited by the short-sightedness of the developers.

/rant

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.