[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

On 3/29/2016 at 11:34 AM, benjee10 said:

fhVDuAV.png?1

bSsQeZM.png?1

Couple of dev shots of the Z1 truss part. This is the bit of the ISS which controls attitude using four reaction wheels in the back. In real life this module has only one crew accessible hatch (the other is purely structural) but I'm going to give it two so you can use it as a truss/crew adapter thing if you want. Will have some hefty torque but come at a price in terms of EC usage. Probably will have monoprop storage as well. Width is 2.5m.

What was its performance for was used?

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2016 at 8:25 AM, benjee10 said:

Will be taking the mod in a new direction next update, away from the straight ISS-replica and more towards a near-future sci-fi style, inspired by the modules in The Martian and the upcoming film Life. The old parts will still be available as a 'legacy' download and I will endeavour to keep them working as KSP updates but no new things will be added to them. 

No ETA yet but here's a sneak peak at the work I've done on the overhaul (HabTech Revised? HabTech 2? HabTech: Dawn of Justice?):

3ax2cXl.png

Baseline module

Z3DtL2F.pngbvQEOxj.png

Airlock module

The plan is to make each module look very distinctive but maintaining a coherent style and colour scheme. So different panel patterns and window arrangements etc. I'll be keeping a few parts on from the previous version like the Cupola (with some slight modifications) since they pretty much fit the newer art style anyway. 

Let me know what you think!

#ModsNotDed

omg that is so sexy :sticktongue: Hope they come sometime this year :wink: Cant wait to take these bad boys into deep space :) 

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

this looks cool, not having any hatches on the modules though is going to play havoc with rescue contracts.

I solve this problem with the claw. Or, more often, KAS and some docking ports. Makes for more difficult but rewarding rescues!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been six months since the author posted on the forums. Would anyone be interested in a set of community updates/fixes (aka HabTech Continued)? First step would be to compile a list of any outstanding issues, but I'm pretty sure that at a minimum we could expand/update the mod compatibility patches.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

this looks cool, not having any hatches on the modules though is going to play havoc with rescue contracts.

The solution has been posted already:

Well, I think that, first, the best could be ask @CobaltWolf if it can contact with the mod autor, since they were working on a "super secret project" when benjee10 stoped posting.

The licence of this mod is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, so a community maintenance is possible, but is always better to ask first.

Anyways, if someone decide to maintain this mod (and the author is OK with that), I could help with some MM patches for life support mods.

Edited by GonDragon

1 hour ago, GonDragon said:

Well, I think that, first, the best could be ask @CobaltWolf if it can contact with the mod autor, since they were working on a "super secret project" when benjee10 stoped posting.

The licence of this mod is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, so a community maintenance is possible, but is always better to ask first.

Anyways, if someone decide to maintain this mod (and the author is OK with that), I could help with some MM patches for life support mods.

I've pinged benjee10 and CobaltWolf in a PM. Depending on their response I will create a GitHub repo for collaboration on the continuation. I know that I'd like to add support for Snacks and possibly KerbalHealth, plus I'm pretty sure the USI-LS patch needs an update.

Looking through the existing part inventory, there's some opportunity to re-balance masses, costs, etc. to keep things proportional to stock parts. Also there are some things that were only partially implemented/balanced, like the multi-lab resource conversion chain and science experiments. Finally, if we're interested in redistributing assets instead of just patches, we could convert the textures from png to dds, and perhaps bring back a shutterless variant of the mini cupola.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It would be nice to give these parts a home in DSEV, but I don't know if @benjee10 would be up for that. It would definitely save me the trouble of making station parts for DSEV...

I'd certainly be happy for that to happen (the license allows it anyway, so long as you share it with credit & the same license type).

I've replied to @PocketBrotector regarding maintenance and my feelings on it are basically go ahead, that would be fantastic, but if possible I'd like to avoid a 'two threads' scenario and so I'd be happy to host the download link on the OP of this thread (with full credit of course). My plan is to completely overhaul the entire mod this Summer and take it in a new direction, possibly keeping the older parts around as a 'legacy' version (but I likely wouldn't have time to maintain them properly.) 

14 hours ago, GonDragon said:

Well, I think that, first, the best could be ask @CobaltWolf if it can contact with the mod autor

Is that all I am now? T.T

14 hours ago, GonDragon said:

since they were working on a "super secret project" when benjee10 stoped posting.

Which one? D:

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It would be nice to give these parts a home in DSEV, but I don't know if @benjee10 would be up for that. It would definitely save me the trouble of making station parts for DSEV...

My 2c, even if you do that I'd like to see @PocketBrotector and/or @GonDragon also maintain the normal Habtech release for people that might now want DSEV.

EDIT: Sidebar, @benjee10 do you have the assets for the Z1 Truss or any other unreleased stuff for maintainers to integrate?

Edited by CobaltWolf

I've created a repository here for "HabTech Classic," which I think is a good allusion somewhere between "HabTech Continued" and "HabTech Legacy."

Currently it is just a list of issues with proposed changes. Mostly tweaks to balance masses etc. but also some slightly more involved stuff. Feel free to take a look and make suggestions. In particular I'll be relying on others to provide PRs to support mods I'm not currently using, like USI-LS and TAC-LS.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Which one? D:

I don't know... because... it's a secret... a "super secret" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

52 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

I've created a repository here for "HabTech Classic," which I think is a good allusion somewhere between "HabTech Continued" and "HabTech Legacy."

Currently it is just a list of issues with proposed changes. Mostly tweaks to balance masses etc. but also some slightly more involved stuff. Feel free to take a look and make suggestions. In particular I'll be relying on others to provide PRs to support mods I'm not currently using, like USI-LS and TAC-LS.

Perfect! Tomorrow I will take a look. I'm very familiarized with USI-LS, but for 1.3 I also wanted to test TAC-LS, so I think I can help with those.

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

somebody needs to make this compatible with 1.3

As what I test, this mod it's compatible with 1.3

Now, with @PocketBrotector we are doing some rebalance in the stat's of the parts, and extending the support for other mods trough MM patches. Everyone is invited to help us trough the Issues Tab in the GitHub, or via a PR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1 June 2017 at 6:27 PM, GonDragon said:

As what I test, this mod it's compatible with 1.3

Now, with @PocketBrotector we are doing some rebalance in the stat's of the parts, and extending the support for other mods trough MM patches. Everyone is invited to help us trough the Issues Tab in the GitHub, or via a PR.

What about 1.2.2?

• 1 month later...

It seems that the CBM is extremely finicky to dock. The Magnetic force seems nonexistent. I still haven't been able to successfully dock two modules using the docking ports in a real setting yet. So I decided to conduct some tests

I first assembled a craft using the stock docking docks, two probe cores, some RCS tanks, RCS ports, placed two connected docking ports between the probe cores, and supported the probe core without RCS tanks with two launch clamps. I did the same with teh CBM docking ports, and the AAM ports. I then flipped each of these and tried to dock fighting against the hacked tiny .01 gravity.

I tested it on the launchpad, and used the hacked gravity and  dropped straight down onto the other port and it did dock. Now I'm messing around changing some stats seeing if it makes it work a bit better. To make the disparity more apparent, I flipped my craft, so i would have to thrust upwards. The KSP cheat menu only allows gravity to be set at .01, but even so there should be in theory an increase in velocity as we approach the port. This was the case for the stock clamp-o-tron, but not for the CBMs or the AAMs. Though I was able to dock with the CBMS, these where under ideal conditions. Secondly, there was no noticeable change in velocity, not even a .1 m/s increase, in contrast with the stock docking ports. I was unable to dock the smaller AAM ports even simply traveling straight up. Going straight down worked however. 

I then started fiddling with the config files. Now, I'm going to sya right now, I'm not a modder and I have no idea how these things work, and I'm confused as to why teh stock docking port and the AAM ports have no acquiretorque lines, yet the stock ports have a noticeable magnetic force, and the AAM ones do not, as well as why the CBM with these lines  seem to not work. So I copied over the acquire torque and acquire force liens to the AAM ports, and set it to 1 instead of 0.5 for both. Retesting these, the magnetic force was enough to slightly overcome the hacked .01 gravity, much like the stock docking ports. If anyone would like to take a look at this, I'll upload my craft file and modified configs

For the craft file, the ports on it are the CBM ports, simply detach the RCS probe and replace the docking ports with either the AAM or stock clamp o tron ports, and flip the orientation to test that way.

I also took the liberty of changing the category on the docking ports to coupling from utility.

Dropbox folder containing the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjhmyaqpx7o2tmm/AACgo5yLW6_-pGKEn5BaN8Wwa?dl=0

It would eb great if someone who knew what they were doing took a look at this. I might go and learn how to use ModuleManager to make a patch for this if its not just me experiencing this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple MM patches I've been messing around with to enhance my enjoyment of Habtech. The first adds a simple RPM MFD to the Cupola IVA. The second one (which I suppose really ought to be sorted out in the base mod config files itself, but here it is in the mean time) works around a duplicate internal name and title in the two Cupola parts (with shutters and without).

// Habtech v0.1.7 Cupola RPM Internal
// Dependencies: ModuleManager, RPM, ASET Props
// Abstract: If RPM is installed, adds a single small RPM MFD to the IVA

// Add custom IVA
+INTERNAL[habtech_cupolaInternal]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]:FIRST
{
	@name = habtech_cupolaInternal_RPM
	// RPM Basic MFD
	PROP
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD
		scale = 0.4, 0.4, 0.4
		position = 0, 0.26, -0.47
		rotation = 0.15, 0, 0, 1
	}
	// ASET Props blank panel (used as backing for the MFD)
	PROP
	{
		name = SwitchFlatPanelShortClear
		scale = 0.7, 1.9, 4.0
		position = 0, 0.26, -0.47
		rotation = -6, 0, 0, 1
	}
}
// Patch any parts using the Habtech Cupola IVA
@PART[*]:HAS[@INTERNAL[habtech_cupolaInternal]]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]:FINAL
{
	MODULE 
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
	}
	@INTERNAL
	{
		@name = habtech_cupolaInternal_RPM
	}
}

// Habtech v0.1.7 Cupola De-Dupe
// Dependencies: ModuleManager
// Abstract: Since the referenced version of Habtech has two Cupola variants (but they are both named the same), de-dupe by creating a second part with different name and title

// Whichever part we ended up with, make sure it has the attributes of the shuttered variant
@PART[habtech_cupola]:FIRST
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = HabTech/Parts/ISS/cupola
	}
	%MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%animationName = Open
		%isOneShot = false
		%startEventGUIName = Open Shutters
		%endEventGUIName = Close Shutters