[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

That is great to hear. Thanks a lot!

I was asking around in the forums to find information and other people that encountered the 1km bug. I am trying to gather this in a dev thread. It is only the bits and pieces I can get from other developers. Without any modding experience on my own, it is hard to see what is valuable and what not.

For players the best workaround right now seems to be World Stabilizer.

This is the thread I am gathering the bits and pieces.

13 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

That is great to hear. Thanks a lot!

I was asking around in the forums to find information and other people that encountered the 1km bug. I am trying to gather this in a dev thread. It is only the bits and pieces I can get from other developers. Without any modding experience on my own, it is hard to see what is valuable and what not.

For players the best workaround right now seems to be World Stabilizer.

This is the thread I am gathering the bits and pieces.

Thanks for your help on this, it's definitely helped to pin down the issue. 

I've done some more testing today and it seems that the problem is localised in the central truss element of the solar arrays, i.e. it's a problem with the little animation that plays to signify dual axis tracking is starting. That's a major, major relief, as it's by far the least complex element of the part. Which means that I may well be able to get a fix done relatively quickly. 

OK - HabTech2 is officially un-broken (mostly)!

I still have one more issue to fix, which is the solar arrays spontaneously combusting if they're not the root part - but for now I've applied a workaround which makes the solar arrays themselves physics-less, transferring their mass/drag to whatever part they are attached to (as the stock RCS & antennas do). This might result in the CoM being off slightly in your craft, but the upside is that everything is now stable

You can pick up the new release either through SpaceDock or GitHub. 

habtech0-2-3.jpg

So i did all sorts of tests and could not get anything to spawn in 1km height. Also no explosions. Awesome job, thank you!

HOWEVER

The SSTO bug is still there. When the mod is installed, my SSTOs won't accelerate above 315m/s (using rapiers). Even worse, after deleting the mod, the issue persisted and I needed to reinstall the game and create a new save. Normally it was enough to delete the mod for it to work again. O_o

7 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

So i did all sorts of tests and could not get anything to spawn in 1km height. Also no explosions. Awesome job, thank you!

HOWEVER

The SSTO bug is still there. When the mod is installed, my SSTOs won't accelerate above 315m/s (using rapiers). Even worse, after deleting the mod, the issue persisted and I needed to reinstall the game and create a new save. Normally it was enough to delete the mod for it to work again. O_o

I also have this bug in 1.10.1 (though deleting the mod was enough to fix it in my case). It is a very strange bug... I don’t quite understand how HabTech2 can affect the aerodynamics of other parts when HabTech2 does not have any MM patches and all of the parts have their own drag models...

I don’t have any pictures but I’ve flown the same vessel with/without the mod with aero highlights turned on, somehow the drag forces on parts with lifting surfaces become comically massive and the vessel will refuse to pass through Mach 1 even with a TWR of over 6!

4 hours ago, lemon cup said:

I also have this bug in 1.10.1 (though deleting the mod was enough to fix it in my case). It is a very strange bug... I don’t quite understand how HabTech2 can affect the aerodynamics of other parts when HabTech2 does not have any MM patches and all of the parts have their own drag models...

I don’t have any pictures but I’ve flown the same vessel with/without the mod with aero highlights turned on, somehow the drag forces on parts with lifting surfaces become comically massive and the vessel will refuse to pass through Mach 1 even with a TWR of over 6!

There are screenshots and some tests in my previous thread when I encountered the issue. As you said it is very weird, as no habtech2 parts were used in my tests. At that time I thought it is just an incompatibility with 1.10.x/1.9.x which habtech2 hasn't been designed for. But it seems that something else is going wrong. Maybe some part config is accidentality overwriting a stock part config?

Is there a debug way to see how part configs are read and used?

37 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

There are screenshots and some tests in my previous thread when I encountered the issue. As you said it is very weird, as no habtech2 parts were used in my tests. At that time I thought it is just an incompatibility with 1.10.x/1.9.x which habtech2 hasn't been designed for. But it seems that something else is going wrong. Maybe some part config is accidentality overwriting a stock part config?

Is there a debug way to see how part configs are read and used?

This is very strange - I’m wondering if it is something to do with either Community Resource Pack or B9PartSwitch, because I can’t think of any way HabTech itself would be interfering with other parts. If you remove these two along with HabTech, does the issue persist?

7 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

This is very strange - I’m wondering if it is something to do with either Community Resource Pack or B9PartSwitch, because I can’t think of any way HabTech itself would be interfering with other parts. If you remove these two along with HabTech, does the issue persist?

I agree with the very strange, especially as the craft is not using habtech2 parts. :oIn my recent tests I used a fresh install and only added/removed habtech2 + dependencies in one run.

Within the other thread, I tried each mod and could reproduce it by only removing the habtech2 folders and not the dependencies. @hemeac had similar experiences.
Also I have a game running with B9PartSwitcher and Community Resource Pack, that works fine.

It might be something of B9PS + CRP + habtech2, but seems not to be B9PS or CRP alone.

This btw is the test aircraft being used: https://pastebin.com/WDympGyR

If I can do anything to help, let me know.

8 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

I agree with the very strange, especially as the craft is not using habtech2 parts. :oIn my recent tests I used a fresh install and only added/removed habtech2 + dependencies in one run.

Within the other thread, I tried each mod and could reproduce it by only removing the habtech2 folders and not the dependencies. @hemeac had similar experiences.
Also I have a game running with B9PartSwitcher and Community Resource Pack, that works fine.

It might be something of B9PS + CRP + habtech2, but seems not to be B9PS or CRP alone.

This btw is the test aircraft being used: https://pastebin.com/WDympGyR

If I can do anything to help, let me know.

I haven't followed up with any further tests outside of confirming that I was able to reproduce the drag issues that chris-kerbal had found.   But in general, I recall that I tried Craft + Habtech in 1.9.1 = No Problem; Craft + No Habtech in 1.10.1 = No Problem; Craft + Habetech in 1.10.1 = Problem. (Habtech in 1.10.1 involved removing the solar truss so the game would load). Seems to be a really strange issue given that none of the parts in the craft used Habtech.  I'll try and make some time to see if there is a particular asset within Habtech that is the offender.

Edited by hemeac

To confirm: Just did a fresh install and only added ModuleManager 4.1.4, BP9PS + CRP from habtech2 zip and the craft flies as expected.

@benjee10I have some time in the afternoon to do what @hemeac suggested. Is there a way to go about it? I guess there are some dependencies between your files, e.g. shared assets before parts?
To give a little positive thing, it is not the complex solar duo, as that was already absent in the tests beginning of September. ;-)

9 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Jebediah is asking: "Launching again? Why? We always stop and reload..."

@benjee10 So I figured the culprit: When removing ht2_radiatorTriple.* from the Trusses folder, I have no troubles with my SSTO. Adding it and I get the issue again.

@hemeac If you could verify, that would be really nice!

That’s very strange, thanks for doing the testing. I’ll take a look at that part and try to figure out what’s going on.

Is it possible to replace the older habtech with the monday version without some problems? I already have Unity docked to the Zarya and im afraid of some issues.

EDIT: When loading game solar array duo.cfg again stops the loading as it was in previous version. I had to deelte the cfg to run the game

EDIT2: My apologies, I somehow replaced habtech with  the same version as it was. Now the loading has been done and new version looks like to work properly.

Edited by Ulgojax

19 minutes ago, Ulgojax said:

Is it possible to replace the older habtech with the monday version without some problems? I already have Unity docked to the Zarya and im afraid of some issues.

EDIT: When loading game solar array duo.cfg again stops the loading as it was in previous version. I had to deelte the cfg to run the game

The initial release post said, that habtech2 is different to habtech and will exist in a new folder alongside habtech. So I guess it is not upgrading parts or anything. As habtech hasn't been updated for a while, I would probably not advise to use it in new KSP versions.

Regarding the loading of the game, what versions are you using? I yesterday started 1.10.1 + github version without any loading issues

25 minutes ago, Ulgojax said:

So the only problem I've had SO FAR from upgrading Habtech2 in my install with the most recent fixed version is that 3 of the ISS solar arrays on my ISS started floating away from the rest of the station, but were still "attached".  I decided to detach them and throw them away and send up new solar panels.  So far I've only sent up one ISS Solar array and attached it successfully, so we'll have to wait and see what happens! 

I'm on 1.9.1 by the way.  I think all the mods I use are updated to 1.10.1, so I just need to take the effort installing them to my 1.10.1 game xP

25 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

So the only problem I've had SO FAR from upgrading Habtech2 in my install with the most recent fixed version is that 3 of the ISS solar arrays on my ISS started floating away from the rest of the station, but were still "attached".  I decided to detach them and throw them away and send up new solar panels.  So far I've only sent up one ISS Solar array and attached it successfully, so we'll have to wait and see what happens! 

I'm on 1.9.1 by the way.  I think all the mods I use are updated to 1.10.1, so I just need to take the effort installing them to my 1.10.1 game xP

Ye, i didn't experience that coz i have only unity and russian segments up on orbit. Im just planning and assembling the trusses and placing into the payload of shuttle. I tried duo trusses on supports on runway and it looks to work properly.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:59, Cheesecake said:

- sí, puede usar los IVA de Habtech1 en Habtech 2
- solo busque el parche de IVA en este tema y encontrará su respuesta. Necesitas una configuración.

I don't think the patch was installed properly, since a lot of things happened to me far from being able to have the IVA textures,
which even made the whole game crash (fortunately, it was in a backup copy:)); But I think I did something wrong, and that's why all this happened.
If someone can explain more fully how to transfer the textures from Hab-tech 1 to Hab-tech 2, I will be completely grateful.:D

PS: I'm new to this field of modding, and I really don't know how to install it. I apologize for those people who may be angry about what is happening to me, and for not installing a simple patch.;.;

4 hours ago, luisitoISS said:

I don't think the patch was installed properly, since a lot of things happened to me far from being able to have the IVA textures,
which even made the whole game crash (fortunately, it was in a backup copy:)); But I think I did something wrong, and that's why all this happened.
If someone can explain more fully how to transfer the textures from Hab-tech 1 to Hab-tech 2, I will be completely grateful.:D

PS: I'm new to this field of modding, and I really don't know how to install it. I apologize for those people who may be angry about what is happening to me, and for not installing a simple patch.;.;

So I had to figure this out as well and hopefully I can help you solve the issue:

Download both HabTech1 and Habtech2, and place both folders into your Game Data folder. 

Now copy and paste the patch (found in Cheescake's post on the previous page) into a blank Notepad document, and save the file as "something".cfg (name it whatever you want as long as it ends in .cfg). Place this new .cfg file anywhere in your Game Data folder, you can make a separate folder for it if you want, or leave it by itself. Mine is in a folder with other patches that I've made. 

Now most HabTech2 parts should be displaying IVAs from HabTech1 in game. To keep the old parts from showing up, you can delete everything in the HabTech1 folder besides "Internals".