[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

16 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

Doesn't seem like Habtech2 is quite fixed yet.  When I loaded up my save in both 1.9.1 and 1.10.1, the solar trusses started flying away, but I can right click them and get all of the options in the Part Action Window as if they were still attached.

This Link Should be my KSP.log

That is why it is called "un-broken (mostly)". ;-)

The floating away panels only occurred - so far - with ones out of older saves. If you remove them and attach new ones it should work.

7 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

I already did that though xD  These are fresh new solar trusses.

Aww damn... :-D At least we went from exploding to wandering around... We could label it the zombie panels, just for Halloween. :-D

Did this occur right after you replaced them or was some time in between/maybe a save and load?

4 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Aww damn... :-D At least we went from exploding to wandering around... We could label it the zombie panels, just for Halloween. :-D

Did this occur right after you replaced them or was some time in between/maybe a save and load?

It was after saving and loading back up.  Spooky action at a distance!

On 10/26/2020 at 9:20 AM, benjee10 said:

Today I've pushed an update to the GitHub - it's still a dev release, so please be patient while I iron out bugs. 

I've incorporated the drag cubes and physics significance fixes so that HabTech should now be playable. However, the 1km spawn bug is still present, and I can't guarantee that the physics significance trick (which seems to prevent immediate combustion of the vessel) won't cause any weirdness, so proceed with caution

Additionally, I've added a half-length MPLM variant, and also made it so both the half-length and full-length MPLMs can be used inline, with switchable endcaps. I intend to add more multi-purpose parts like this in the future to increase the diversity of designs you can build. 

Download

screenshot78.png?width=890&height=1577

Great News!

Does this mean I can finally load 1.10 without it hanging at start?

Can't live without this awesome mod!!!!

I have a problem with duo truss. I cant attach anything on sides, i mean some grapple fixtures therefore im not able to use this part because i was planning to get it in to the orbit on shuttle and dock it with canadarm. But sadly i cant attach anything besides docking port on the of the truss. Please help :(

1 hour ago, Ulgojax said:

I have a problem with duo truss. I cant attach anything on sides, i mean some grapple fixtures therefore im not able to use this part because i was planning to get it in to the orbit on shuttle and dock it with canadarm. But sadly i cant attach anything besides docking port on the of the truss. Please help :(

This is intended - the entire truss of the solar array rotates, so if you were able to surface attach to it, it would be left behind and float in mid air as the arrays track the sun. Consider adding a temporary part to the end of the solar array which you can attach a grapple fixture, to and then remove once the array is in place.

@chris-kerbal

@hemeac

@benjee10

Hey benjee, I know you guys have been busy. Just wanted to touch back on the 1.10.1 drag bug and report my findings. I’ve done some very limited testing on the .cfg portion of the problem (as now it is confirmed that the Triple Radiator is the offender) consisting of stripping out all of the values related to drag and even heat control, basically just leaving enough for the part to load and be placed in game.

Basically there was no  change whatsoever leading me to believe that the problem lies with the drag cubes present in the part model. Though I don’t have the software required to change those myself.

Would it be possible to push out a quick update with the drag cubes removed (provided that is indeed the problem) similar to the initial quick-fix on the solar truss. It seems that this bug affects all craft, not just SSTOs and it is simply most noticeable there. But my train of thought is that while not ideal as far as total game balance goes, just about everyone using these parts are sending them up to orbit inside your shuttle or a proper payload fairing, so having working drag models shouldn’t be necessary. 

Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, lemon cup said:

@chris-kerbal

@hemeac

@benjee10

Hey benjee, I know you guys have been busy. Just wanted to touch back on the 1.10.1 drag bug and report my findings. I’ve done some very limited testing on the .cfg portion of the problem (as now it is confirmed that the Triple Radiator is the offender) consisting of stripping out all of the values related to drag and even heat control, basically just leaving enough for the part to load and be placed in game.

Basically there was no  change whatsoever leading me to believe that the problem lies with the drag cubes present in the part model. Though I don’t have the software required to change those myself.

Would it be possible to push out a quick update with the drag cubes removed (provided that is indeed the problem) similar to the initial quick-fix on the solar truss. It seems that this bug affects all craft, not just SSTOs and it is simply most noticeable there. But my train of thought is that while not ideal as far as total game balance goes, just about everyone using these parts are sending them up to orbit inside your shuttle or a proper payload fairing, so having working drag models shouldn’t be necessary. 

Hope this helps!

Interesting. I am having a hard time understanding how the drag cube of one part should be affecting the drag of completely unrelated parts. 

Drag cubes are generated either by the game on startup, during flight (dynamically), or can be defined in the .cfg - you don't need any special software to change them. Deployable parts tend to use dynamically generated drag cubes and I think this is the case for the triple radiator. Try pasting the drag cube fix from the solar array into the radiator .cfg - it will obviously be completely wrong for the radiator, but if the problem is due to the dynamically generated drag cube, it should reveal that. Unfortunately I don't have time today to test it myself. 

@benjee10

Got it, I had no idea the drag cubes were dynamically generated... I thought they were manually placed somehow in the model. Though if the .cfg has anything to do with drag cube generation, then it might be a dead end, since like I said I removed all drag values from the cfg and still no dice. I’ll be testing that then, thank you!

8 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

@benjee10

Got it, I had no idea the drag cubes were dynamically generated... I thought they were manually placed somehow in the model. Though if the .cfg has anything to do with drag cube generation, then it might be a dead end, since like I said I removed all drag values from the cfg and still no dice. I’ll be testing that then, thank you!

I suspect if this *is* being caused by a drag issue (which might not be the case) it will be to do with how the drag cube is generated, rather than the drag values of the part itself. I know changes were made to how drag cubes are handled recently, and dynamic drag cubes in particular caused a lot of problems (see the solar array loading issue). 

You could also try deleting PartDatabase.cfg from your Kerbal Space Program folder - this is where generated drag cubes are stored. Deleting it will force the game to re-generate all the drag cubes when you next start it. If HabTech has somehow messed with how the drag cubes are generated, the fix may not show up until the game is forced to re-generate them. 

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

I suspect if this *is* being caused by a drag issue (which might not be the case) it will be to do with how the drag cube is generated, rather than the drag values of the part itself. I know changes were made to how drag cubes are handled recently, and dynamic drag cubes in particular caused a lot of problems (see the solar array loading issue). 

You could also try deleting PartDatabase.cfg from your Kerbal Space Program folder - this is where generated drag cubes are stored. Deleting it will force the game to re-generate all the drag cubes when you next start it. If HabTech has somehow messed with how the drag cubes are generated, the fix may not show up until the game is forced to re-generate them. 

Wow! Looks like, to me, the issue is fixed. Doing as you said and copy/pasting the drag cube block from the Solar Truss into the Triple Radiator cfg did the trick...! I tested it by booting the game up and loading my certified tail-hauling aircraft that can pull mach 1 right off the runway. It behaved just like it should have, whereas before without the patched cfg, it would refuse to hit 200m/s until it got very high. I also tested the panel to make sure it behaved properly on the ground retracted, and deployed in orbit. 

As far as WHY or HOW this even happened in the first place... that is still a mystery :o

Edited by lemon cup

5 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

Wow! Looks like, to me, the issue is fixed. Doing as you said and copy/pasting the drag cube block from the Solar Truss into the Triple Radiator cfg did the trick...! I tested it by booting the game up and loading my certified tail-hauling aircraft that can pull mach 1 right off the runway. It behaved just like it should have, whereas before without the patched cfg, it would refuse to hit 200m/s until it got very high. I also tested the panel to make sure it behaved properly on the ground retraced, and deployed in orbit. 

As far as WHY or HOW this even happened in the first place... that is still a mystery :o

That's incredibly strange but really good to know! Thanks for doing the testing. When I get chance, I'll generate an appropriate drag cube for the radiator and patch that in, and then do some testing just to verify the issue is fixed. KSP works in mysterious ways...

42 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Where do i find the patches to put in the workaround?

To what workaround do you refer?

49 minutes ago, Ulgojax said:

Isn't it possible to make rotate parts attached to dual solar truss?

Could you elaborate what you are trying to do? I do not understand what you are asking.

1 hour ago, Ulgojax said:

Isn't it possible to make rotate parts attached to dual solar truss?

The solar arrays use the solar panel tracking module so that they automatically rotate to track the sun. Unfortunately that means that attached parts won’t rotate with them, just because of how KSP works.

On 11/4/2020 at 7:18 AM, benjee10 said:

That's incredibly strange but really good to know! Thanks for doing the testing. When I get chance, I'll generate an appropriate drag cube for the radiator and patch that in, and then do some testing just to verify the issue is fixed. KSP works in mysterious ways...

Awesome!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@benjee10

I checked a few more things. First I found, that the radiator is not generating a drag cube at all. Its parts database entry is empty. Editing the parts database does not work, however as you suggested editing the part config file itself will work.

I compared your config with @Nertea config out of the heat control mod. It actually incudes a very similar part, just different in size.

I couldn't spot anything obvious, why his part is not giving these problems. However I am no modder and just started to try to understand the different things in the mods.

What struck me: He seems to use a auto-generated cube and is not having cube values in the part config file.

3 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

@benjee10

I checked a few more things. First I found, that the radiator is not generating a drag cube at all. Its parts database entry is empty. Editing the parts database does not work, however as you suggested editing the part config file itself will work.

I compared your config with @Nertea config out of the heat control mod. It actually incudes a very similar part, just different in size.

I couldn't spot anything obvious, why his part is not giving these problems. However I am no modder and just started to try to understand the different things in the mods.

What struck me: He seems to use a auto-generated cube and is not having cube values in the part config file.

The difference is probably that Nert's part has a single deploy animation, whereas mine has four - one for each radiator panel, and one to start the sun tracking. KSP is capable of auto-generating a drag cube for a part with only one animation, but with multiple it automatically switches to the dynamic drag cube system (which is computationally expensive, and seems to be the source of these errors) rather than trying to pre-generate a drag cube at launch. By defining a specific set of drag cubes in the config, you can tell the game not to use the dynamic drag cube system. It's a little unclear to me exactly how this all actually works, but it seems like I can basically tell the game that 'if any of these animations are triggered, switch to drag cube X. If not, use drag cube Y.' So the trick now it to create a version of the part with only one deploy animation in order to generate appropriate colliders, and take that from the Part Database and put it in the config. 

2 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

The difference is probably that Nert's part has a single deploy animation, whereas mine has four - one for each radiator panel, and one to start the sun tracking. KSP is capable of auto-generating a drag cube for a part with only one animation, but with multiple it automatically switches to the dynamic drag cube system (which is computationally expensive, and seems to be the source of these errors) rather than trying to pre-generate a drag cube at launch. By defining a specific set of drag cubes in the config, you can tell the game not to use the dynamic drag cube system. It's a little unclear to me exactly how this all actually works, but it seems like I can basically tell the game that 'if any of these animations are triggered, switch to drag cube X. If not, use drag cube Y.' So the trick now it to create a version of the part with only one deploy animation in order to generate appropriate colliders, and take that from the Part Database and put it in the config. 

ok, that is good to know... I guess for changing the animation you need the source material, right?