Jump to content

[1.11+] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts! | 0.2.5


benjee10
 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

There is no docking adapter for this part, but it can be moved using EVA construction to attach it to the JEM. In zero G a single engineer Kerbal can move it.

45 minutes ago, davide96 said:

Thanks, i guess it's time to update to 1.11.1 then! :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, benjee10 said:

There is no docking adapter for this part, but it can be moved using EVA construction to attach it to the JEM. In zero G a single engineer Kerbal can move it.

Interesting. Do you have KJR installed perhaps? Just wondering if it could be a mod conflict. 

I will check, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Interesting. Do you have KJR installed perhaps? Just wondering if it could be a mod conflict. 

Probably be interesting, although I guess it is still something wrong with the drag cubes. Vali tried to explain it to me, that the multiple tracking thing and drag boxes not go well together. Think this and the overlord mode with the huge red  copy might be related?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Probably be interesting, although I guess it is still something wrong with the drag cubes. Vali tried to explain it to me, that the multiple tracking thing and drag boxes not go well together. Think this and the overlord mode with the huge red  copy might be related?

@benjee10 not working I've tried on a ksp 1.11.2 fresh install

it seems that the solar panels are not attached to the rest of the structure and I don't know why

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Probably be interesting, although I guess it is still something wrong with the drag cubes. Vali tried to explain it to me, that the multiple tracking thing and drag boxes not go well together. Think this and the overlord mode with the huge red  copy might be related?

I didn't understand 

I'm trying to remove mods but I'm only ruining the game, removing the mods, because are dependencies. I don't understand...and I'm really disappointed because I love this mod, it's a well made mod. It seems to be that the solar panels have a different type of physics because they gloat away and remain stucked in one point.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by davide96
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, davide96 said:

I didn't understand 

I'm trying to remove mods but I'm only ruining the game, removing the mods, because are dependencies. I don't understand...and I'm really disappointed because I love this mod, it's a well made mod. It seems to be that the solar panels have a different type of physics because they gloat away and remain stucked in one point.

HELP PLEASE!!!

If this still happens without having the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod installed, I would propose not using that part currently, until it has been fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the "full autostrut" mod, and i have tried to delete all the autostrut on the station part and works perfectly, but the station start to wobble immediately so I have tu apply manual autostrut.

So the problem seems to be solved

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, davide96 said:

I have the "full autostrut" mod, and i have tried to delete all the autostrut on the station part and works perfectly, but the station start to wobble immediately so I have tu apply manual autostrut.

So the problem seems to be solved

Interesting. I guess there is some bad interaction when autostruts are applied to the solar arrays. Will need some testing. There is a bit of a hacky physics workaround happening there to get around another more serious issue, so hopefully when I'm able to fix the root cause this will no longer be a problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Interesting. I guess there is some bad interaction when autostruts are applied to the solar arrays. Will need some testing. There is a bit of a hacky physics workaround happening there to get around another more serious issue, so hopefully when I'm able to fix the root cause this will no longer be a problem. 

I thought, it might be worth a try to cut the panel in three pieces: The box, cooling panel and solar panels. Then you would only have one tracking per part, right? Have no clue though how much work that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

I thought, it might be worth a try to cut the panel in three pieces: The box, cooling panel and solar panels. Then you would only have one tracking per part, right? Have no clue though how much work that is.

The issue with this is that it breaks dual axis tracking. All of those prices have to be the same part for that to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

The issue with this is that it breaks dual axis tracking. All of those prices have to be the same part for that to work.

Probably have to little knowledge of the tracking, but would have thought to track it independently. Box is turning so it is aiming the panels in 90° towards sun and the panels then only turn in their long axis.

Also might be an option to have a plugin to do all of that... similar to windmills tracking wind ... wonder who could know about that... ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Box is turning so it is aiming the panels in 90° towards sun

Unfortunately, KSP doesn't allow one to attach parts to animated parts - one can't attach a ladder to a lander leg and expect it to move when the lander leg moves. There is a mod to allow that, but it is severely limited in scope and wouldn't work with Benjee's solar panels.

I suppose it might be possible for somebody to produce a mod that controlled a stock motor in such a way that it moved to orient attached parts with Kerbol? If so, Benjee could make a re-skinned motor to look like the ISS's solar alpha rotary joint, and simplify the truss sections so they were mere boxes that could have single-animation solar panels attached.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, davide96 said:

Hi all  guys can someone explain why my solar panels float away from the station??  I really don't know why and I can't autostrut them. 

can someone help me please? @benjee10t4vaveO.jpg

What game version are you on? might help to post a log file and a pic of your gamedata folder. Mine is fine in 1.11.1 with KJR installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, softweir said:

Unfortunately, KSP doesn't allow one to attach parts to animated parts - one can't attach a ladder to a lander leg and expect it to move when the lander leg moves. There is a mod to allow that, but it is severely limited in scope and wouldn't work with Benjee's solar panels.

I suppose it might be possible for somebody to produce a mod that controlled a stock motor in such a way that it moved to orient attached parts with Kerbol? If so, Benjee could make a re-skinned motor to look like the ISS's solar alpha rotary joint, and simplify the truss sections so they were mere boxes that could have single-animation solar panels attached.

Ok, forgot that "not attaching to moving parts" in stock.

@ValiZockt was creating the tracking of his simulated wind and orienting the windmills towards that in Planetside. Maybe that could be reused to orient towards Kerbol? Then relying on stock mechanisms would not be needed. However don't know if it improves drag cubes issues.

Sorry Vali for tagging you here, but do not want to speculate :-D

Benjee mentioned, that creating the solar panels was quite some work, so not sure if he has appetite to work over them again. Might be something to consider if there is interest and work for the new iROSA panels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, si2504 said:

What game version are you on? might help to post a log file and a pic of your gamedata folder. Mine is fine in 1.11.1 with KJR installed.

Hi I'm playing in 1.11.2 without KJR. It was an autostrut problem, I'm using a mod "full autostrut". And the panel remain in their position only with autostrut at the root part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

@ValiZockt was creating the tracking of his simulated wind and orienting the windmills towards that in Planetside. Maybe that could be reused to orient towards Kerbol? Then relying on stock mechanisms would not be needed. However don't know if it improves drag cubes issues.

Sorry Vali for tagging you here, but do not want to speculate :-D

Benjee mentioned, that creating the solar panels was quite some work, so not sure if he has appetite to work over them again. Might be something to consider if there is interest and work for the new iROSA panels.

To be honest, I'm just guessing at this point as DragCubes are a science on their own, but using multiple PartModules (that also include multiple drag cubes per module) always have been a bit problematic. Pre 1.10, it was not even possible do define multiple drag cubes like that. Since 1.10 they changed some part of that, see following (taken from the 1.10 modder notes):

Quote

Any combination of PartModules implementing IMultipleDragCubes on the same part outside of the two modules mentioned will fall back to using Procedural drag cubes, IF more than one of the PartModules has useMultipleDragCubes set to true. 

Which means that no matter what you do currently, the solar panel will always refer to procedural drag cube generation (As it includes four PartModules all implementing IMultipleDragCube).  So I guess the only viable solution (to my knowledge, please if anyone knows more that me, I would be happy to be proven wrong) is to separate the functionality into it's own part, so that there aren't multiple PartModules that include IMultipleDragCube per part. If @benjee10 really has the time and motivation to even work on this (I guess he has a long enough list of things to work on),  I'm happy to look into such PartModule, that can indepenently track to the sun (with respect to their child parts). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Then relying on stock mechanisms would not be needed.

The advantage of such a mod is that it would be a highly general solution which could be used with purely stock parts - not just habtech2!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I have been slowly (mostly due to my issues with the various mods that introduce Canadarms) building a "full Proposed+"   ISS.   I am using HABtech2, Tantares, BDB and a couple other station part mods, and mostly Kerbolrise for an alternative shuttle alongside SOCKS.   Aside from the fact that no one has made either the RM1/RM2 research modules (should be easyish to kitbash) or the SPPP (much harder to kitbash) the station is now going along swimmingly once I ditched both SOCKS and Kerbolrise shuttles.  (No offense Benjee10, just can't use the dang robot arms to save my life!)  

I thought I would share my current progress on this forum since most of the parts are from Habtech2 :D

 

Spoiler

c89g4XZ.jpg

Current status

Earlier view showing parts that are hidden in the picture above (with the exception of rotating Transtage tugs in and out all the parts are there still!

63xR3OE.jpg

A few things that someone might want to point out.  

1) Transtages?   yep I am almost exclusively using a CH4 fueled Titan LDC stage from BDB and using the Transtage as the final "tug" given storable fuel.

2) Unity Node is backwards.     this was intentional...   (you all believe me right!?)

3)Skylab!   Yeah alt history bigtime...   Skylab has an C100 docking port with 2 drogue docking ports.   making Skylab the US gateway for older LV/ships

4) Big Gemini!   See 3 above! :D

What you don't see is I lost 4 whole Stations in this play-through due to Candarm causing bad collisions.    This is almost certainly a PEBKAC error... but since I can't figure the robotics out in KSP it can go hang.     I actually planned on a total of 26 Shuttle launches (16 SOCKS and 10 Keroblrise)   I like both shuttles.  Use em both to deploy satellites and retrieve Sats (And sometimes my Transtage tugs!)    But I can't use the Robot arm, which means they are nearly useless at the station.  :(

So instead I have been using the STME powered (CH4) BDB LDC Titan.   The STME is from  EStreetRockets and their Rocket Motor Menagerie.   I am possibly going to also begin using their Angara Launcher for future Russian launches.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 3:21 PM, benjee10 said:

Interesting. I guess there is some bad interaction when autostruts are applied to the solar arrays. Will need some testing. There is a bit of a hacky physics workaround happening there to get around another more serious issue, so hopefully when I'm able to fix the root cause this will no longer be a problem. 

Good evening, I have an update, I'm still having the issue, and I don't know why, when I approach the station with a vessel, the solar panels float away like in the image that I have attached in the other post. I don't understand...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I totally destroyed my first "Full" ISS build.

Had my second COVID Shot on Thursday.. Friday while attempting to fix my Backwards S0 Truss I crashed the entire station into the Atmo....    I am blaming the 102.1 fever I had when I did it   I never noticed Periapsis was below 80km...  

SO   Attempt #2.    I am hampered by the lack of suitable parts to make the SPP for the Russian/European Segment.  

The GOAL:

ZwDKd25.jpg

 

The Progress:

Spoiler

Early on.  Just Skylab (with a broken Solar Array + the core of the US Segment of ISS +Zarya:

fbvWEPU.jpg

Then adding Zvezda + the UDM via Angara A5s

This is my take on the UDM:

FVbfmC1.jpg

YES those are CASTOR 2s on an "Uprated" Angara A-5 (Core first stage stretched, 2nd stage is 191V powered:

gb90p0S.jpg

The Reason why?   Well My take on the SPP is a very BIG TKS with a single 2 axis ISS solar wing:

ete2aEL.jpg

And the Full ISS (in a better view than above):

iaeUHFd.jpg

Future plans:

Build the Port and Starbord trusses and add the two additional Solar Wings to each Truss,

Launch the ETS European Lab and dock it with the Skylab core:

Launch the DSM (likely the first thing I will do)

re-Layout the rest of the International Segment to better make room given Skylab + full Russian Segments.

Oh and PS:   I got the Truss and the Z Node correct this time (along with their attending compartments!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So I totally destroyed my first "Full" ISS build.

Had my second COVID Shot on Thursday.. Friday while attempting to fix my Backwards S0 Truss I crashed the entire station into the Atmo....    I am blaming the 102.1 fever I had when I did it   I never noticed Periapsis was below 80km...  

SO   Attempt #2.    I am hampered by the lack of suitable parts to make the SPP for the Russian/European Segment.  

The GOAL:

ZwDKd25.jpg

 

The Progress:

  Reveal hidden contents

Early on.  Just Skylab (with a broken Solar Array + the core of the US Segment of ISS +Zarya:

fbvWEPU.jpg

Then adding Zvezda + the UDM via Angara A5s

This is my take on the UDM:

FVbfmC1.jpg

YES those are CASTOR 2s on an "Uprated" Angara A-5 (Core first stage stretched, 2nd stage is 191V powered:

gb90p0S.jpg

The Reason why?   Well My take on the SPP is a very BIG TKS with a single 2 axis ISS solar wing:

ete2aEL.jpg

And the Full ISS (in a better view than above):

iaeUHFd.jpg

Future plans:

Build the Port and Starbord trusses and add the two additional Solar Wings to each Truss,

Launch the ETS European Lab and dock it with the Skylab core:

Launch the DSM (likely the first thing I will do)

re-Layout the rest of the International Segment to better make room given Skylab + full Russian Segments.

Oh and PS:   I got the Truss and the Z Node correct this time (along with their attending compartments!)

Looks good. But when I was building my ISS, it seemed to me that it was better to combine different mods.
A little bit HabTech
A little bit SSPX
A little bit MMSEV
A little bit TweakScale+Ubio.
A pinch of docking ports from USI
And of course tantares and a few more mods ......

A total of 82 parts
ODB3D9ulgiQ.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=9
vP3T77iIxU4.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...