[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, CollectingSP said:

In this tweet from @Zarbon44, a rassvet module is shown attached to his ISS. There is also one of the new Russian science modules attached to nauka. Does anybody know from which mods these parts are from?

So the "SPP" analog looks like it is a kitbash of Tantares and SSTU parts.   SSTU follows 1.25m sizing unfortunately or the SSTU DOS series of parts would make the Russian segment SIMPLE to make vs Tantares.      The Solar wing on the end decidedly looks like SSTU's power module solar array.  

The rest of the "stand out" parts all look like they are from the Kissler mod (which I have not downloaded or played with.)  

1 hour ago, Starslinger999 said:

Anyone else having an issue where placing a docking port from this mod makes it invisible and causes nodes to be removed when you try and attach more parts?

you know, I have that same issue with Planetside Explorations

On 7/9/2021 at 9:54 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

you know, I have that same issue with Planetside Explorations

I also have that mod but it seems to involve only the Habtech docking ports

On 7/9/2021 at 10:04 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Do you have the right version of Shared Assets?

Shared Assets? I just got it from the zip file. Is there something else I need to get @Spaceman.Spiff? And there seems to be two versions of the shared assets mod one with just parts and one with alot of stuff (from redirect)

Edited by Starslinger999

This looks outstanding! One question though, is there a date or a roadmap or something that adds IVA's to well... the modules?

(EDIT) Same thing for Orion in ReDirect?

Edited by funnelton
didn't wanna clog up redirect thread with the same question

1 hour ago, funnelton said:

This looks outstanding! One question though, is there a date or a roadmap or something that adds IVA's to well... the modules?

(EDIT) Same thing for Orion in ReDirect?

For reDIRECT you can go by with Kertimis Program. 

Amazing mod! I do have an issue though where when trying to use the unity-equivalent part, it does what I can only describe as bend Kerbin in half. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Edit: Had to go a few pages back, and found a post relating to the incompatibility of this mod and KJR. Turns out this was the source of the issue

Edited by ggman250
New Information

First, KSP 1.12.1 broke the full up ISS I was building.   The whole "can't strut across a docking port...."   Ugh...    I already posted this in Tantares, I am posting here and amplfiying what I did differently with the Habtech2 parts... Esp since there seems to be no Habitation module... that never launched to the ISS...

V4sdatg.jpg

As you can see, I made the missing Habitation module out of Benjee10's new Planetside base mod:

My next mission is to launch a bunch of Pteron Micro shuttles as escape boats.  I figured out that a SOCK + Energya would launch 2 per launch and have a safety factor on the off chance something happens... where a rocket launch would be cheaper, the pilot is strapped into the Pteron....    And Since Energya has payload capacity to spare, I could make it mostly recoverable.   I recovered one of the two RD-0120s and both of the RD-0122s I flew on my test flight.   Mixing the two engines gave more control-ability during post booster flight.   I try to run a 100% recoverable space program.   Including Deorbit function for all satellites in Kerbin orbit.   I do this because years ago I lost a spacestation to orbital debris from a launch that happend 3 in game years prior.

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Are there still plans for canceled ISS hardware, habitation module, centrifuge accommodation module? Space station freedom modules? ETS?

From what I understand the Centrifuge is taken care of with Nertea.

However, I think @benjee10 is busy with other stuff. 

Not that kind of centrifuge, I am talking about a canceled JAXA module, the "Centrifuge Accommodation Module", it looked like Destiny with a single docking port and housed a centrifuge experiment.

9 hours ago, davidy12 said:

From what I understand the Centrifuge is taken care of with Nertea.

However, I think @benjee10 is busy with other stuff. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, Entr8899 said:

Are there still plans for canceled ISS hardware, habitation module, centrifuge accommodation module? Space station freedom modules? ETS?

Right now my priority is filling in gaps from the ISS as it is now, including revamping the solar arrays/truss structure to finally eliminate some long-standing issues. Can't say what my plans are long term as it depends on IRL stuff and when KSP2 will be coming out, but hab/CAM are probably more likely than any ETS stuff. 

9 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Right now my priority is filling in gaps from the ISS as it is now, including revamping the solar arrays/truss structure to finally eliminate some long-standing issues. Can't say what my plans are long term as it depends on IRL stuff and when KSP2 will be coming out, but hab/CAM are probably more likely than any ETS stuff. 

Thank you for the reply, may I ask what you are working on currently?

36 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Awesome work for sure! Happy to see some new parts. One thing I noticed when playing with textures unlimited and the old version. Apparently some material differences (e.g., thermal stuff on trusses backside, quest airlock... ) you did with textures not on their own mesh. Hence hard to exclude them from textures unlimited. So just a kind request - if it is not too troubling - to look out for that. ;-)

2 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Thank you for the reply, may I ask what you are working on currently?

Currently on the solar truss revamp. This was and still is the most complex part in HabTech so it will likely take a fair while. 

Screen_Shot_2021-07-11_at_14.45.21.png

Here are some other bits in various states of development.

Various antennas/greebly bits:

Screen_Shot_2021-06-29_at_19.03.32.png

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

External Stowage Platform:

Screen_Shot_2021-06-27_at_10.02.55.png

Z1 truss revamp + SGANT antennas:

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_21.25.20.png

2 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Awesome work for sure! Happy to see some new parts. One thing I noticed when playing with textures unlimited and the old version. Apparently some material differences (e.g., thermal stuff on trusses backside, quest airlock... ) you did with textures not on their own mesh. Hence hard to exclude them from textures unlimited. So just a kind request - if it is not too troubling - to look out for that. ;-)

Unfortunately this isn't something I'd be able to do as mesh splits add draw calls, additional polys etc which cumulatively will affect performance. I try to only split meshes where absolutely necessary (usually due to animation or use of multiple shaders/textures on a single part) as although the effect is quite small with just a few parts it can have quite a big performance impact across a huge space station for example. You would likely get bad results in many cases anyway as the transitions between materials in a texture are smooth, whereas mesh splits will produce very hard divisions that wouldn't match. The better way of doing this would be to create a B&W metallicity map texture to define what should be metallic and what should be non-metallic (white for metal, black for non-metal), although my feeling is that trying to convert a non-PBR asset into a PBR asset after the fact is something of a fruitless exercise! 

42 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Currently on the solar truss revamp. This was and still is the most complex part in HabTech so it will likely take a fair while. 

Screen_Shot_2021-07-11_at_14.45.21.png

Screen_Shot_2021-06-29_at_19.03.32.png

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

Screen_Shot_2021-06-27_at_10.02.55.png

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_21.25.20.png

Unfortunately this isn't something I'd be able to do as mesh splits add draw calls, additional polys etc which cumulatively will affect performance. I try to only split meshes where absolutely necessary (usually due to animation or use of multiple shaders/textures on a single part) as although the effect is quite small with just a few parts it can have quite a big performance impact across a huge space station for example. You would likely get bad results in many cases anyway as the transitions between materials in a texture are smooth, whereas mesh splits will produce very hard divisions that wouldn't match. The better way of doing this would be to create a B&W metallicity map texture to define what should be metallic and what should be non-metallic (white for metal, black for non-metal), although my feeling is that trying to convert a non-PBR asset into a PBR asset after the fact is something of a fruitless exercise! 

This stuff looks next level wow

Do you have any plans for Gateway parts in the future?

57 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Currently on the solar truss revamp.

These parts look downright incredible! 

Just goes to show anytime you notice Benjee hasn't been posting much, it's because he's busy being awesome...!

7 hours ago, benjee10 said:

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

New solars in game:

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Thanks for that explanation and fully makes sense. Performance is either way quite a thing with the big stations. So do not want to make it worse. :-D

Anything besides searching for the fitting meshes is probably beyond me... was my first time using blender ;-D

10 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Do you have any plans for Gateway parts in the future?

Not as it stands, the Gateway plans are a bit too nebulous at the moment to model anything with any confidence. Might be something I look at picking up for KSP2 when we have a better idea of what the IRL Gateway hardware will be.