[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

These new parts are amazing! The detail is very impressive!

I have a wee little wishlist* : Habtech2 bulkhead endcaps. These could be used to cap off non-Habtech parts when they are inserted into station assemblies, to make a better visual fit. One of the Rockomax parts (IIRC) does the job physically, and when the metallic variant is used it doesn't look dreadful:- but it could be much better. I guess this would almost be a cut-n-paste job for you, though even that can be an irritating job when it comes to high-detail modelling.

I would also like some structural tubes that match the Habtech style.

*NB: My wishlist is in no way your command! :sticktongue: I am very well aware that you have a long list of priorities, especially getting those mulish solar array truss elements working!

Thanks for all the amazing work you do. There are other station part mods to be found, but none look so convincing.

14 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Currently on the solar truss revamp. This was and still is the most complex part in HabTech so it will likely take a fair while. 

[snip]

Here are some other bits in various states of development.

[snip]

Various antennas/greebly bits:

[snip]

New solars in game:

[snip]

External Stowage Platform:

[snip]

Z1 truss revamp + SGANT antennas:

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_21.25.20.png

Just had one thought to the Z1: As I understood you are using the inventory upgrade thing for the IROSA, would that be something for the SGANT antennas as well? Z1 in the beginning didn't ave these and was carrying the solar truss, hence flexible upgrade would be great here for the ones that play the historic missions of the ISS.

14 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Currently on the solar truss revamp. This was and still is the most complex part in HabTech so it will likely take a fair while. 

Screen_Shot_2021-07-11_at_14.45.21.png

Screen_Shot_2021-06-29_at_19.03.32.png

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

Screen_Shot_2021-06-27_at_10.02.55.png

Unfortunately this isn't something I'd be able to do as mesh splits add draw calls, additional polys etc which cumulatively will affect performance. I try to only split meshes where absolutely necessary (usually due to animation or use of multiple shaders/textures on a single part) as although the effect is quite small with just a few parts it can have quite a big performance impact across a huge space station for example. You would likely get bad results in many cases anyway as the transitions between materials in a texture are smooth, whereas mesh splits will produce very hard divisions that wouldn't match. The better way of doing this would be to create a B&W metallicity map texture to define what should be metallic and what should be non-metallic (white for metal, black for non-metal), although my feeling is that trying to convert a non-PBR asset into a PBR asset after the fact is something of a fruitless exercise! 

Are other parts in habtech getting revamped as well? More specifically the modules and docking adapters? I'm also digging this new art style, Its realistic but also looks kind of cyberpunk and grungy!!

Edited by SpaceFace545

19 hours ago, benjee10 said:

The parts are fantastic! The textures are absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to use these for some projects! But I did notice that you've got a ROSA variant!

19 hours ago, benjee10 said:

screenshot69.jpg

How did you decide on getting those to work? Are they a separate part, different variant, something else!? Whatever it is, these all looks awesome!

1 minute ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

The parts are fantastic! The textures are absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to use these for some projects! But I did notice that you've got a ROSA variant!

How did you decide on getting those to work? Are they a separate part, different variant, something else!? Whatever it is, these all looks awesome!

We have something special planned for that…

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Are other parts in habtech getting revamped as well? More specifically the modules and docking adapters? I'm also digging this new art style, Its realistic but also looks kind of cyberpunk and grungy!!

Modules I think still hold up well enough for now, though they will be getting some minor touch ups here and there (e.g. swapping the old handrails for the new model). CBMs, truss connectors and PMAs will be getting a revamp and I will be adding the International Docking Adapter.

4 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Just had one thought to the Z1: As I understood you are using the inventory upgrade thing for the IROSA, would that be something for the SGANT antennas as well? Z1 in the beginning didn't ave these and was carrying the solar truss, hence flexible upgrade would be great here for the ones that play the historic missions of the ISS.

The SGANT antennas are broken up into three parts; boom, pointing gimbal and the antenna dish itself. This way it is possible to launch and then assemble them using EVA construction as in real life. The primary SGANT boom is a robotics part that can swing into place from launch config.

11 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Modules I think still hold up well enough for now, though they will be getting some minor touch ups here and there (e.g. swapping the old handrails for the new model). CBMs, truss connectors and PMAs will be getting a revamp and I will be adding the International Docking Adapter.

Right on!! not trying to bother and no pressure for you to answer but how's buran going. Also is whatever this is a possibility?

unknown.png

22 hours ago, benjee10 said:

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

But, But But!  I just got my ISS fully complete!

Awe MAN!   newer better parts.  

Seriously these parts look pretty amazing.  

And I thought the Old Solar Wings looked amazing....   I am almost stupefied by the work you have done in IMPROVING them and the Z Truss.

Not sure how this is working in RSS/RO--although I might be having some versioning issues.  
I see there are pull requests that suggest this works, but once I add that patch, the program hangs when loading.

What versions do I need to be using to have this 'go' in RSS/RO with the SpaceShuttleSystem?
Is there a specific version of PartSwitch I need?  
I'm not using either TAC or Kerbalism.

Edited by slaintemaith

1 hour ago, TonyC said:

Does HabTech 2 come with Kerbalism support out of the box, or has someone done a patch for it ?

If neither, I could learn a bit of ModuleManager and try to make one :)

KerbalismConfig has a support profile.  Can't remember if i put one in for KerbalismSimplex. 

Peace.

Is the APAS port completely removed from this current release? I'm not able to find it. The BDB one functions but it doesn't quite jive with the look of the Habtech stuff to my tastes, like the original one did. (Plus it's broken a fair few of my kitbash stuff like ferry-tankers/rescue craft)

10 hours ago, Hachiro said:

Is the APAS port completely removed from this current release? I'm not able to find it. The BDB one functions but it doesn't quite jive with the look of the Habtech stuff to my tastes, like the original one did. (Plus it's broken a fair few of my kitbash stuff like ferry-tankers/rescue craft)

There is a new version in the shared_Assets of Benjee (which is a dependency of Habtech2): https://github.com/benjee10/Benjee10_sharedAssets

I think the old one is in there as well, but probably you need to activate the config

11 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

There is a new version in the shared_Assets of Benjee (which is a dependency of Habtech2): https://github.com/benjee10/Benjee10_sharedAssets

I think the old one is in there as well, but probably you need to activate the config

Ayyy many thanks for that. It's not coming up on CKAN it seems so I'll nab that from the github.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, benjee10 said:

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

Unfortunately this isn't something I'd be able to do as mesh splits add draw calls, additional polys etc which cumulatively will affect performance. I try to only split meshes where absolutely necessary (usually due to animation or use of multiple shaders/textures on a single part) as although the effect is quite small with just a few parts it can have quite a big performance impact across a huge space station for example. You would likely get bad results in many cases anyway as the transitions between materials in a texture are smooth, whereas mesh splits will produce very hard divisions that wouldn't match. The better way of doing this would be to create a B&W metallicity map texture to define what should be metallic and what should be non-metallic (white for metal, black for non-metal), although my feeling is that trying to convert a non-PBR asset into a PBR asset after the fact is something of a fruitless exercise! 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, benjee10 said:

New solars in game:

screenshot56.png

screenshot69.jpg

Looks Amazing i don't think I've ever science such a good looking Z1 or ISS solar Panels!! Looking forward to sometime in the future when we get Station Freedom Parts.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:51 PM, benjee10 said:

The SGANT antennas are broken up into three parts; boom, pointing gimbal and the antenna dish itself. This way it is possible to launch and then assemble them using EVA construction as in real life. The primary SGANT boom is a robotics part that can swing into place from launch config.

Tested the SGANT boom with the robotics. Even when locking it, it will always swing around and change position (pretty normal for robotics parts). Maybe it would be better to just have it as a regular animation without robotics?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, softweir said:

These new parts are amazing! The detail is very impressive!

I have a wee little wishlist* : Habtech2 bulkhead endcaps. These could be used to cap off non-Habtech parts when they are inserted into station assemblies, to make a better visual fit. One of the Rockomax parts (IIRC) does the job physically, and when the metallic variant is used it doesn't look dreadful:- but it could be much better. I guess this would almost be a cut-n-paste job for you, though even that can be an irritating job when it comes to high-detail modelling.

I would also like some structural tubes that match the Habtech style.

*NB: My wishlist is in no way your command! :sticktongue: I am very well aware that you have a long list of priorities, especially getting those mulish solar array truss elements working!

Thanks for all the amazing work you do. There are other station part mods to be found, but none look so convincing.

Id like to weigh in and also say something that I think could be interesting: a stripped down union module that we can put between something like 2 hitchhikers so we can have some better looking connections between modules.

4 hours ago, funnelton said:

Hi again, I just wanna know, does anyone have a snacks patch for the logistic modules? thanks.

Just edit the config, put something like this in it:

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Snacks
        amount = Your amount
        maxAmount = Your amount
    }   

Olá, tenho problemas com os interiores de módulos, alguém tem uma solução

[Moderator added translation]
Hello, I have problems with the interior of the modules, some of the solutions

Edited by James Kerman
Added Translation