[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

The bigger question is, how do I assemble this.....

Assembled it, found a problem in the Japanese module.

The depression in the IVA to go into the top node is on the opposite side of where it should be.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

@benjee10 Awesome man, awesome.

I recently broke this image out for someone else, but it might be of some inspiration:

Option%20A%20Laboratory%20Node%20Layout.

This was proposed as a part of Option A (both A-1 and A-2) in the 1993 Space Station redesign Study. Your existing nodes look very close to it, but it might help with the eventual IVA.

11 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

The bigger question is, how do I assemble this.....

Assembled it, found a problem in the Japanese module.

The depression in the IVA to go into the top node is on the opposite side of where it should be.

Cheers for the report, will get that fixed ;) 

1 hour ago, TimothyC said:

@benjee10 Awesome man, awesome.

I recently broke this image out for someone else, but it might be of some inspiration:

Option%20A%20Laboratory%20Node%20Layout.

This was proposed as a part of Option A (both A-1 and A-2) in the 1993 Space Station redesign Study. Your existing nodes look very close to it, but it might help with the eventual IVA.

Nice diagram, thanks!

Did someone say dual-axis solar array?

7YBaJxv.png

Still needs a specular pass to make it look like an actual solar panel and not just some corrugated iron, plus some work on placement of colliders/suncatchers since at the moment it stops sun tracking if there are any shadows on the central truss. The trusses that hold up each solar panel also don't track the sun because of the way the animation is set up which would require s complete redo to work around unfortunately. Pleased with the way the dual-axis tracking works, though. I was going to give it a built-in radiator but frankly it's far too much effort to go to to be worth it. Must have spent at least five hours purely trying to work through all the bugs and errors caused by trying to put an animated thing on a tracking thing on another tracking thing. Unity does not like that. 

I think I've heard it said that unity does not like the entire everything that KSP does/needs, so an animation hiccup here or there shouldn't be too worried about. Looks good!, aside from the corrugated iron part, yeah ;) 

Do want that solar panel! Is there any chance for an alternate, stockalike texture though?

Are the hexagonal segments meant to have same cross-section as Z1 truss, or is an adapter planned?

Edited by Gryphorim

17 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Do want that solar panel! Is there any chance for an alternate, stockalike texture though?

Are the hexagonal segments meant to have same cross-section as Z1 truss, or is an adapter planned?

Alt texture is planned yes! Z1 has a slightly different cross-section to the rest of the truss, potentially will make an adapter at some point but it's kind of meant to be it's own standalone module (the solar array truss was only stowed on Z1 temporarily)

7 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Are you going to make the inflateable hab that they are sending to the ISS soon?

Maybe.

7 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

Hi, are you going to add the Cupola shutters? And it would be nice to have handrails to traverse across the outside of the station.

Cupola shutters definitely planned, handrails I will look into as it can be difficult getting them to work around the edges of modules. 

Update 0.1.5 - Solar Arrays!

They're still a little buggy (colliders on the panels themselves have gone AWOL) and truss itself sun-tracks permanently - that means you have to be careful deploying them from cargo bays because if they're aligned in the wrong orientation they'll clip and destroy themselves. Quick save a lot. 

Spent some time doing some test building of a space station in LKO using a shuttle, works pretty nicely but I encountered a strange bug where undocking would spontaneously shoot the space shuttle off at hundreds of meters per second. I fixed it in the save file (the game was setting a structural adapter as the shuttle's root and that was messing everything up) and I think it's a one-time thing but be on the lookout when using the APAS port in case it's a problem intrinsic to that part. 

Here's the fruits of my efforts:

BM5nDFz.png

On 01.04.2016 at 10:57 PM, benjee10 said:

Turns out the Kerbal model I was using for size estimates was scaled wrong! Kerbals fit snugly inside a 1.25m Cupola:

lgio6S8.png

Hopefully I can have basic IVAs for all parts by next update, just so using cross-section view doesn't look ugly as sin with all the black boxes from the placeholder IVA. 

This is wonderful! :)

But I have a suggestion. Could you make a cupola with horizontal sitting position? If so, we could use such piece as another type of rover cockpit or as observation spot to look not into space but at our own vehicle surface. And so on, etc., etc. - possibilities are endless! :D

I'm so excited to see someone who seems to be trying to make a good ISS parts pack. I know that the modmaker(s) have real lives and all that jazz, but I'm hopeful that this can continue on to become a really great companion to Tanteres when it comes to making stock-alike historical spacecraft. This mod could cover the American side of the ISS, while Tanteres remains the best for Russian-esque modules. Just my rambling thoughts. Thanks for all the hard work! 

If I might make a pair of requests on the trusses. The first is that I would please like to see a small truss segment that would fit between a pair of solar wings, and the second is that I would be most appreciative if you could provide a node/shroud to allow for either a double truss center section or a single truss center section while  above a station that has 2 wide node structures. I can provide a screenshot to help explain if you wish.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Are Unity, Tranquility, and Harmony basically the same? I don't want to get hit with a  "Oh hey, they are different, now go dis-assemble your model of the ISS until you get it right"

"Harmony (formerly known as Node 2) and Tranquility (formerly known as Node 3) are slightly longer than Unity, measuring almost 6.4 meters (21 feet) long in total "

Thanks wikipedia

7 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

This is wonderful! :)

But I have a suggestion. Could you make a cupola with horizontal sitting position? If so, we could use such piece as another type of rover cockpit or as observation spot to look not into space but at our own vehicle surface. And so on, etc., etc. - possibilities are endless! :D

Not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean with the kerbal sat so its head is going 'up' into the cupola?

7 hours ago, TimothyC said:

If I might make a pair of requests on the trusses. The first is that I would please like to see a small truss segment that would fit between a pair of solar wings, and the second is that I would be most appreciative if you could provide a node/shroud to allow for either a double truss center section or a single truss center section while  above a station that has 2 wide node structures. I can provide a screenshot to help explain if you wish.

Small truss is a definite yes! As for the second part some screenshots might help, I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting ;) 

6 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Are Unity, Tranquility, and Harmony basically the same? I don't want to get hit with a  "Oh hey, they are different, now go dis-assemble your model of the ISS until you get it right"

There are subtle differences in real life I believe but for the purposes of this mode they are the same. 

4 hours ago, Lexx Thai said:

Version 0.1.5 not exist? SpaceDock latest download link shows 404 :(

Seems to be working fine for me at the time of writing. I will look into making a GitHub mirror or something similar in case of similar things in the future. 

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

14 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean with the kerbal sat so its head is going 'up' into the cupola?

Yes, I meant seat position and direction of sight like this:

o6ciaId.png

This way you can observe vehicle hull in EVA right away, without switching to one of the window view.

2 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Yes, I meant seat position and direction of sight like this:

o6ciaId.png

This way you can observe vehicle hull in EVA right away, without switching to one of the window view.

How about placing camera's in the 7 possible directions?

This way you can look through each window.