[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

Just now, davidy12 said:

HOLY F*$K!!!

Those IVAs ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!

May I ask, after this, what's next? Are you going to work on DIRECT again. Because after seeing this, I want to see some more vehicles (IE: A new "modern" lander would be AMAZING).

Cheers man :)

Yeah, DIRECT needs some love, after the next release of this I plan to go back to it and give it a bit of an overhaul. The textures (particularly on the SRBs) are looking a bit old now and I still need to release the capsule! Might do some lander parts as well, nice idea. 

7 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Cheers man :)

Yeah, DIRECT needs some love, after the next release of this I plan to go back to it and give it a bit of an overhaul. The textures (particularly on the SRBs) are looking a bit old now and I still need to release the capsule! Might do some lander parts as well, nice idea. 

Do I sense a stockalike Altair :D 

On 4/7/2016 at 11:50 AM, benjee10 said:

I don't believe anything but the P6 assembly was ever docked to the top of Z1, and that has a square profile which doesn't match up with Z1, so they're not really meant to line up uniformly. In real life the Z1 truss doesn't match with the form factor of the rest of the truss anyway.

I looked into this, and, yeah, the geometry is really not that uniform. Hopefully you'll design your P6 to work in this fashion as well.

Pics!

Spoiler

issconfig3.jpg

ISS_on_20_August_2001.jpg

As you can see, it was sorta just stuck on there. So while I would like a proper attachment, asking for yet another docking part is starting to create too much part inflation. Perhaps I'll just have to work this one out for myself, because odds are not many people are going to be doing it too. However, it's something worth knowing about.

As far as the science labs, making them draw a lot of power makes sense, and as for the experiments, are you writing custom science, uh, experiment text or whatever it's called?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

As a disclaimer, I'd like to say that this pack is super sick. My only complaint:

bPiqvbZ.png

Why 12 sides? My OCD kills me looking at this thing. I can see how if it stays 12 faces, the pedals are easy to model, but you'd get the same effect if you bumped it up to the standard 24 sides! 

Cheers, dude. Good job on all of this. I'm not trying to sound r00d or anything. :P

6 hours ago, FlyMeToTheMinmus said:

Just so you know Drakenex, you've got Unity and Harmony the wrong way round, and the PMA connecting Unity to Zarya is upside down, but the rest is great :). Did you use the kibo style part to get the attach point for the truss?

ohh great! I'll fix that, thanks a lot, for the anchoring point I've used the "BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point" on top of Destiny, later I'll add the kosmos strut from CMES for visual appeal

Fixed!

X2CxX3T.png

Truss attach point

I77mlIW.png

aaaand here it is!! my super simple, low detail and stockalike ISS, running at a solid 40 FPS. Thanks and congratulations Benjee10, awesomely efficient and good looking ISS parts!

Edited by Drakenex
added Album

Will you be making caps that can go over where the docking ports would go? I was making something that isn't the ISS and having those areas open because they didn't need to dock or anything just didn't feel right. 

Small bug report: I don't have pictures atm, but the back of the kerbals stick through the IVA of the cupola module and into the IVA of where it is mounted.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, benjee10 said:

Columbus - Bioscience Lab
Columbus will be a biological laboratory. Its experiments will be stuff like physiology checks and cell growth. It will also feature a greenhouse when paired with USI LS or TAC, which will take up a fair bit of power. 

Destiny - Thermal Lab
The Destiny experiments revolve around a combustion chamber and a deep-freezer. 

Kibo - Materials Lab
Kobo deals with materials so experiments like crystal growth and nanotechnology observations. I'm also hoping to give Kibo a special resource converter which will take a new resource called 'Samples' (which has zero value) and slowly convert it into a highly valuable resource called 'Processed Samples' or something similar. This process will take a huge amount of power and generate a lot of heat but the resulting resource would be extremely valuable. This gives stations an end-game function as a way of generating a steady cash flow without contract grinding.

Another potential idea is to have Destiny be the Sample processor, with the resulting resource then being able to be processed further in either Kibo or Columbus, giving a different resource for each lab. 

There would also be additional science parts such as the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer and Exposed Facilities for the JEM and Columbus. 

Let me know what you guys think!

I really like these ideas! Allowing LKO operations to be end-game is pretty nice--I don't like having to fly to Jool to get the science/funds I need to do a crewed Duna mission ;-)

Yay space-stations!

On 4/8/2016 at 4:26 PM, Drakenex said:

ohh great! I'll fix that, thanks a lot, for the anchoring point I've used the "BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point" on top of Destiny, later I'll add the kosmos strut from CMES for visual appeal

Fixed!

X2CxX3T.png

Truss attach point

I77mlIW.png

aaaand here it is!! my super simple, low detail and stockalike ISS, running at a solid 40 FPS. Thanks and congratulations Benjee10, awesomely efficient and good looking ISS parts!

Think you could post the .craft file?

On 7 April 2016 at 10:22 PM, SpaceMouse said:

Ooooooooo. Very much like the IVA's. Glad you didn't use the stock seats. Kerbals playing KSP. Kerbalception?

Cheers! They are in fact stock seats, just Porkjet's stock seats from the spaceplane parts so we have him to thank for that!

And what else would Kerbals play? ;) 

On 8 April 2016 at 5:45 AM, VenomousRequiem said:

As a disclaimer, I'd like to say that this pack is super sick. My only complaint:

bPiqvbZ.png

Why 12 sides? My OCD kills me looking at this thing. I can see how if it stays 12 faces, the pedals are easy to model, but you'd get the same effect if you bumped it up to the standard 24 sides! 

Cheers, dude. Good job on all of this. I'm not trying to sound r00d or anything. :P

Yeah it's been bugging the hell out of me too, I accidentally set the poly count to 12 instead of 24 in Blender and by the time I realised that wasn't right I'd already textured the thing and wasn't in the mood to redo it. I'll revisit it at some point, looks will remain the same just... smoother.

On 8 April 2016 at 9:26 PM, Drakenex said:

X2CxX3T.png

Truss attach point

I77mlIW.png

Nice work!

On 10 April 2016 at 5:06 AM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Will you be making caps that can go over where the docking ports would go? I was making something that isn't the ISS and having those areas open because they didn't need to dock or anything just didn't feel right. 

Small bug report: I don't have pictures atm, but the back of the kerbals stick through the IVA of the cupola module and into the IVA of where it is mounted.

I'm not planning making anything like that - the ISS does fine by just leaving them open and it would mess with the IVAs to have a hatch sticking into an area which is covered up by hull. 

Kerbal positions will be fixed in the next update!

I've been away a couple of days so not had chance to work on much, but all crewed parts now have a redone IVA except for the cupola and I've added some reasonably simple truss connector parts. They have their own docking port type so can only dock with other truss sections. 

In terms of the IVA overlay view, would people prefer them to be like they are now (the whole internal model is overlaid onto the external view) or like the stock parts with a sort of cutaway look to them? Cupola will stay as-is with window cutouts. 

4 hours ago, benjee10 said:
1 minute ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Do you mean they are just blank with no texture or they aren't showing up at all?

Cheers! They are in fact stock seats, just Porkjet's stock seats from the spaceplane parts so we have him to thank for that!

And what else would Kerbals play? ;) 

Yeah it's been bugging the hell out of me too, I accidentally set the poly count to 12 instead of 24 in Blender and by the time I realised that wasn't right I'd already textured the thing and wasn't in the mood to redo it. I'll revisit it at some point, looks will remain the same just... smoother.

Nice work!

I'm not planning making anything like that - the ISS does fine by just leaving them open and it would mess with the IVAs to have a hatch sticking into an area which is covered up by hull. 

Kerbal positions will be fixed in the next update!

I've been away a couple of days so not had chance to work on much, but all crewed parts now have a redone IVA except for the cupola and I've added some reasonably simple truss connector parts. They have their own docking port type so can only dock with other truss sections. 

In terms of the IVA overlay view, would people prefer them to be like they are now (the whole internal model is overlaid onto the external view) or like the stock parts with a sort of cutaway look to them? Cupola will stay as-is with window cutouts. 

Its just blank, I thought it had IVA's