benjee10

[1.6.X] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts! | 0.2.0 - Solar Arrays, Truss, Radiators release!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

That's because it spins - anything attached to the surface wouldn't rotate with it. 

Ah yeah, that makes sense.  The normal user might not know about KIS/KAS.

Anyway screw the rules I have Module Manager.

BkDUl06.pngTp7IZEi.pngLwYUdkH.png

This was a test to see how it would fit in the orbiter.

Also WOOT new page!

Edited by Deltac

2 hours ago, Deltac said:

Ah yeah, that makes sense.  The normal user might not know about KIS/KAS.

Anyway screw the rules I have Module Manager.

BkDUl06.pngTp7IZEi.pngLwYUdkH.png

This was a test to see how it would fit in the orbiter.

Also WOOT new page!

Can you share with me the name of that shuttle mod... I know I have seen it here on the forums, just can't remember it's name. Would like to give it a try. Thanks

8 minutes ago, SouthPhilly said:

Can you share with me the name of that shuttle mod... I know I have seen it here on the forums, just can't remember it's name. Would like to give it a try. Thanks

It's called Cormorant Aeronology:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_00.30.29.png

Some mighty big radiators, now available on the GitHub repo! 

2 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_00.30.29.png

Some mighty big radiators, now available on the GitHub repo! 

These might be my new replacement for all things Radiator!

3 hours ago, Drakenex said:

@benjee10are you planning to add node covers? they give a lot of flexibility and versatility.

Possibly further down the line. 

Z1:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_16.34.30.pngScreen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_16.34.34.png

And in action:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_17.05.46.pngScreen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_17.06.06.png

4 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Possibly further down the line. 

Z1:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_16.34.30.pngScreen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_16.34.34.png

And in action:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_17.05.46.pngScreen_Shot_2019-03-17_at_17.06.06.png

Great!!! Now I'll be refreshing your GitHub page every hour!!!

Posted (edited)

I've been playing around with the trusses and it looks like they're missing a few polygons on the rotators. When you break the solar panels there's a hole straight through the model, as seen here.

USM9km1.jpg

Also, I think you could add some texturing to the top of Z1 to show where the P6 docking port is supposed to attach. Are you adding the antennae?

One more suggestion: You have some of the Shuttle bay trunnions on many of these parts, but perhaps you can add them as their own small piece for extra greeble? Or, this creates a way to solve Shuttle bay attachment: A trunnion set which actually contains an invisible radial decoupler. Seems a little cheaty, but it could be an elegant solution. Similarly, on a photo of the real ISS that @Foxxonius Augustus shared a few pages back shows astronauts removing a trunnion bipod from P/S2. Those would work excellently as a radial decoupler, whether they stay attached to the cargo bay or attached to the truss such that they can be removed optionally by KIS.

This photo for reference:

Spoiler

20151218_ISS_Truss_structure.jpg

I think it's important to keep in mind that these parts should integrate into Cormorant's shuttle system (or at least the cargo bay) as that's how most users are going to launch.

That being said, for other users who find the CRG-100 too small, the semi-defunct Shuttle Payload Technologies has a more realistically sized CRG-150 and a rescale MM patch for the rest of the Cormorant shuttle.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

19 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've been playing around with the trusses and it looks like they're missing a few polygons on the rotators. When you break the solar panels there's a hole straight through the model, as seen here.

Also, I think you could add some texturing to the top of Z1 to show where the P6 docking port is supposed to attach. Are you adding the antennae?

One more suggestion: You have some of the Shuttle bay trunnions on many of these parts, but perhaps you can add them as their own small piece for extra greeble? Or, this creates a way to solve Shuttle bay attachment: A trunnion set which actually contains an invisible radial decoupler. Seems a little cheaty, but it could be an elegant solution. Similarly, on a photo of the real ISS that @Foxxonius Augustus shared a few pages back shows astronauts removing a trunnion bipod from P/S2. Those would work excellently as a radial decoupler, whether they stay attached to the cargo bay or attached to the truss such that they can be removed optionally by KIS.

This photo for reference:

Reveal hidden contents

20151218_ISS_Truss_structure.jpg

I think it's important to keep in mind that these parts should integrate into Cormorant's shuttle system (or at least the cargo bay) as that's how most users are going to launch.

That being said, for other users who find the CRG-100 too small, the semi-defunct Shuttle Payload Technologies has a more realistically sized CRG-150 and a rescale MM patch for the rest of the Cormorant shuttle.

Thans for the feedback, will definitely be fixing the solar array hole. In the mean time just... try not to break them I guess

Trunnions as a greeble part I might consider. Not sure about as a decoupler though. 

In the meantime, release is out!

Enjoy!

jkBYQpq.pngyAedkzK.pngjd6c6FW.pngjB6Rykg.png6XmgNAR.pngnolBcav.png

Obviously much love must go to @Beale for the Russian segment, which looks great as ever! 

33 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

In the meantime, release is out!

nolBcav.png

Obviously much love must go to @Beale for the Russian segment, which looks great as ever! 

Really incredible work and attention to detail! And the cute fabric stitching never fails to entertain me.

You have definitely inspired me to up my game in the near future Zvezda / Zarya wise :) 

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

jkBYQpq.pngObviously much love must go to @Beale for the Russian segment, which looks great as ever! 

Looks fantastic Benjee! Can’t wait to get my ISS assembled. On the subject of assembly did you have any other thoughts about robotic arms?

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Really incredible work and attention to detail! And the cute fabric stitching never fails to entertain me.

You have definitely inspired me to up my game in the near future Zvezda / Zarya wise :) 

Yay! Any chance of a semi- folded state for the Zarya solar panels? Like this:

STS-128_EVA2_Russian_Orbital_Segment.jpg

33 minutes ago, TheRedTom said:

Looks fantastic Benjee! Can’t wait to get my ISS assembled. On the subject of assembly did you have any other thoughts about robotic arms?

Yay! Any chance of a semi- folded state for the Zarya solar panels? Like this:

STS-128_EVA2_Russian_Orbital_Segment.jpg

If I can figure out a nice way to do it, sure.

Just downloaded 0.2.0, and holy mackarel, the truss segments are superb! The blue variant of the SAW also works perfectly as Mir-2 solar arrays.

Yes. Thank you!

@benjee10 The new release is fantastic! You're forcing me to rebuild all my station robotics again :) I was curious. The boxes around the "Kibo" module. That would be moved by way of robotic arm. What mod are those from? I didn't recognize them.

This is amazing work @benjee10! Congrats on the release! Are you planning any more updates to this mod? If not, I think it'd be cool to see a Freedom Station version of this mod. 

9 hours ago, V8jester said:

@benjee10 The new release is fantastic! You're forcing me to rebuild all my station robotics again :) I was curious. The boxes around the "Kibo" module. That would be moved by way of robotic arm. What mod are those from? I didn't recognize them.

Thanks! Those are the revamped stock science containers from Restock.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger1 said:

This is amazing work @benjee10! Congrats on the release! Are you planning any more updates to this mod? If not, I think it'd be cool to see a Freedom Station version of this mod. 

Definitely planning on more updates! I want to expand the truss lineup and add some external science parts, as well as adding some modules from Freedom (including a square-profile truss structure). 

Thank you very much, @benjee10, this mod is GREAT! I've got a question. I just realized, the big radiators get really close to PMA-3. Is that correct or have i done something wrong?

bvT7T6V.jpg BVaQdp0.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alex-eddk said:

Thank you very much, @benjee10, this mod is GREAT! I've got a question. I just realized, the big radiators get really close to PMA-3. Is that correct or have i done something wrong?

bvT7T6V.jpg BVaQdp0.png

Cheers! 

The clearance between the radiators and PMA-3 is pretty tight IRL, but the radiators are a little more offset along the truss than it looks like you have it - there's an ammonia tank on the side of the truss closest to S0. It's a bit hard to make out, but you can kinda see it here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT575PS8tSIyd_y7jZwUNQ

Edited by benjee10

55 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Cheers! 

The clearance between the radiators and PMA-3 is pretty tight IRL, but the radiators are a little more offset along the truss than it loos like you have it - there's an ammonia tank on the side of the truss closest to S0. It's a bit hard to make out, but you can kinda see it here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT575PS8tSIyd_y7jZwUNQ

Thank you so much! :-)

Question: How do we set up the docking ports to connect the first and second sets of SAWs? Do we use the "bearing" version of the truss docking port?

42 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Question: How do we set up the docking ports to connect the first and second sets of SAWs? Do we use the "bearing" version of the truss docking port?

Yes, that's correct! Although they don't rotate with the SAWs, the circular shape is intended to make it less noticeable. 

4 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Yes, that's correct! Although they don't rotate with the SAWs, the circular shape is intended to make it less noticeable. 

Thanks. I've noticed my ISS running out of power with Kerbalism. Perhaps the EC capacity of some of the modules could be tweaked? I believe the CX trusses had a variant that had batteries. Maybe a tweak to give the SAW trusses EC storage in future updates?