[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

I just discovered this mod two days ago when screening mods for the 1.1 and it's lovely and incredibly well done :blush: And these IVA :)

Interesting optimization of the textures by the way, and absolutely perfect for my project of Deep Space Habitat.

Are the docking ports compatible with the stock ones?

Edited by ndiver

I'm currently watching @TheReadPanda's stream, and he's pointed out that on your Z1 truss, you have the faces the other way around - the reaction wheels should be on the wide side, and the docking port should be on the narrow side. 

If you check out his stream on KSPTV from around the 49 minute mark, you can see him g it. Here is a shot from the stream showing yours compared to the actual one:

3kZfvVt.png?1

If you're just taking artistic license then that's cool, otherwise, just so you know :)

On 27 April 2016 at 1:10 AM, Likasombodee said:

Do the labs actually operate as labs, or are they habitats?

They do operate as labs and there is additional functionality planned there too for additional science experiments. 

On 27 April 2016 at 2:19 AM, dlrk said:

Are the storage module supposed to contain TAC-LS supplies, or is that planned for a future version?

Currently only USI-LS is supported, TAC will come in future. 

On 27 April 2016 at 4:50 AM, Gryphorim said:

Are the Logistics modules supposed to have KIS storage parameters? Mine do not.

Sorry, I've basically asked the same as dlrk.

Again KIS is planned for future, KIS only recently got updated to 1.1 so I've only just started adding patches for it. Should be ready for next version though. 

15 hours ago, ragusila said:

I cant seem to use your pretty cupola for the contracts that require cupolas on ships/bases. Any way I can modify the part or the contracts to allow for that? It is by far the best looking cupola part i found, so i would like to use it. 

cheers

I will look into it and see if there's some special parameter you need to add for that to work. 

13 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Will the cupola be getting interior lights?

Yeah I'll add some more stuff to the Cupola IVA and give it the 'lights on' option the stock spaceplane parts have. 

4 hours ago, ndiver said:

I just discovered this mod two days ago when screening mods for the 1.1 and it's lovely and incredibly well done :blush: And these IVA :)

Interesting optimization of the textures by the way, and absolutely perfect for my project of Deep Space Habitat.

Are the docking ports compatible with the stock ones?

Cheers! The APAS and CBM ports are compatible with stock but the truss ports are only compatible with each other.

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I'm currently watching @TheReadPanda's stream, and he's pointed out that on your Z1 truss, you have the faces the other way around - the reaction wheels should be on the wide side, and the docking port should be on the narrow side. 

If you check out his stream on KSPTV from around the 49 minute mark, you can see him g it. Here is a shot from the stream showing yours compared to the actual one:

3kZfvVt.png?1

If you're just taking artistic license then that's cool, otherwise, just so you know :)

Will try to fix that in a way which doesn't break any saves!

5 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Will try to fix that in a way which doesn't break any saves!

It was suggested that you take the triangular parts and rotate them 180 degrees, which would make it look like the part has been rotated without changing any nodes :) 

2 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

It was suggested that you take the triangular parts and rotate them 180 degrees, which would make it look like the part has been rotated without changing any nodes :) 

That's probably the best way of going about it yeah, it'll need some retexturing work though to get rid of any seams that come up.

Not sure when I'll be able to get that done; I'm not able to really do much more than .cfg editing right now because I'm in the middle of exam revision and planning a film shoot (practical degree programs are the best)

Just now, benjee10 said:

That's probably the best way of going about it yeah, it'll need some retexturing work though to get rid of any seams that come up.

Not sure when I'll be able to get that done; I'm not able to really do much more than .cfg editing right now because I'm in the middle of exam revision and planning a film shoot (practical degree programs are the best)

No worries or hurries :) I understand the feeling, with AS exams 2 weeks away...probably not as much as you've got to do, but all the same. Good luck!

This mod rocks and I use it extensively in my KSPTV stream in recreating the ISS launch for launch each Thursday Morning.

I just wanted to thank the wonderful mod author for all his hard work! And also for visiting the stream today. Very much appreciated!!!

On 4/26/2016 at 3:40 PM, benjee10 said:

With KIS & KAS now updated for 1.1 it should be reasonably easy to replicate the destiny attachment point using existing docking ports and KAS pipes & struts.

But... b-but... okaaaaaayy....

It just lacks the feel of being a real attachment, rather than just being thrown on there; but I guess that's sorta what it was. Is there a way that I can get it at an exact 90-degree angle with KIS?

I have a problem. The Big solar part, it rotates even when 'off' so that when in the stock mk3 shuttle bay it rotates and clips and dies horribly.... I need it to fit in the shuttle bay. So either I need a way to turn off the tracking function or it needs to be a wee bit smaller or both. :) Any chance of this? Cause right now in the bay, I launch (go to the launch pad) and it rotates in the bay and suddenly all I have are parts in my poor bay!

On 4/26/2016 at 8:32 PM, VenomousRequiem said:

@benjee10 Care to add some parts from ETS when you're done with your current plans?

On 4/26/2016 at 5:40 PM, benjee10 said:

I plan on adding some parts similar to that to DIRECT since giant 3.75m hab parts and such seem more appropriate there!

Dittos on this!

"Eyes Turned Skyward" & Skylab B

"Eyes Turned Skyward" features a second Skylab (Skylab B, later Spacelab) that was created to be more expandable and upgrade-able.

NASA's Skylab Reuse plans

NASA did have plans to re-purpose the RealLife® Skylab for use with the Shuttle program:

ISS-based station with reused Skylab

I decided on making an ISS-based station layout using a "legacy" Skylab as a replacement for the Russian components. I realize that more realistic models for this exist for use with RSS, but I'm thinking of a stock scale, stock-a-like solution that will fit in with the HabTech parts.

(I have messed with Blender briefly, but have no experience or luck so far with textures or UV-mapping, otherwise I'd start working on this myself. If anyone would like to help, I might give it a whirl though.)

(@benjee10 if you keep my ideas in mind while working on your DIRECT 3.75 parts, I'd be grateful!)

I've made a placeholder stock-a-like Skylab using the following:

• Procedural Parts (structural parts)
  • SpaceY (some RCS, the Saturn's Instrumentation Unit)
  • HabTech (docking ports)
  • Infernal Robotics (to deploy the Apollo Telescope Mount)
  • stock parts

Edited by Teslamax
image edit and formatting change (perfectionism bug bites again)

I am loving this mod, especially those gloriously huge solar panels.

I do have one small problem though, just a case of inconvenience/aesthetics, which is that the two axes of rotation on the solar panels make it very hard to build them in such a way that in tracking the sun, they don't end up clipping into other parts. As you can see below, the rotation along the truss axis causes the panels to clip into both the fuel tanks attached to the main station core and into the radiators that are mounted onto Habtech truss sections between the inner and outer solar sections...

G52ilvQ.jpg

Ideally the solar panels should have stayed aligned on a plane with the station's mobile labs, that's the way it worked in the VAB, where that second axis of rotation wasn't obvious. It's can be corrected by rotating the station each time you jump to it but it's inconvenient and it looks unrealistic. For now I will try rotating the whole truss structure, but that won't fix the clipping into the radiators, just into the tanks, but if we could disable that axis of rotation it would give us more freedom in our station layouts.

Is there any chance you could gives us a button to disable that rotation axis? But if not, I love these panels so much I'll live with it. Thanks for a really great mod!!

On 4/28/2016 at 3:48 PM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

RIP me making videos on how to make the ISS step by step.

Please don't think that just cause I'm doing something. You can't do it, or do it better. @Sgt.Shutesie I hope you do make the videos and have great fun doing it. Everyone does things differently. 

19 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

Is there a way to properly dock z1? Because, using 2 CBMs to attach it to Unity makes the s0 truss (mounted with the 2 specific docking ports provided) clip into Destiny

Are you putting the truss on the node on Z1? The truss isn't attatched to Z1 in the final ISS, it only goes on the top node until Destiny gets attatched I think. Then the truss gets mounted on Destiny horrizontally. So, z1 and the truss do not go together after Destiny gets added.

RE: Watch this 

My movement order was wrong, but this shows it better.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

11 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Are you putting the truss on the node on Z1? The truss isn't attatched to Z1 in the final ISS, it only goes on the top node until Destiny gets attatched I think. Then the truss gets mounted on Destiny horrizontally. So, z1 and the truss do not go together after Destiny gets added.

RE: Watch this 

My movement order was wrong, but this shows it better.

Yeah, I know perfectly ISS assembly, but there is no way to attach it to Destiny (without using KAS) and I only wanted to know if I had to add something to z1
@benjee10 maybe you could add some kind of umbilicals mount to connect z1 to Destiny... something like this (just check the center of the image or the details on the lower right, it's very well shown how z1, s0, Destiny and Unity area is set up) Truss_breakdown.png

Edited by trooperMNG

5 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

Yeah, I know perfectly ISS assembly, but there is no way to attach it to Destiny (without using KAS) and I only wanted to know if I had to add something to z1
@benjee10 maybe you could add some kind of umbilicals mount to connect z1 to Destiny... something like this (just check the center of the image or the details on the lower right, it's very well shown how z1, s0, Destiny and Unity area is set up) 

[beautiful ISS truss diagram snipped]

Although this isn't the only way to do it, this is how my assembled ISS looks in the VAB:

9gQjjYc.png

Besides some non-structural umbilicals to S0, Z1 had no connection at any time to Destiny. If I remember correctly, Z1 to this day sits on the zenith port of Unity rather alone...

If you wanted to add some cosmetic umbilicals you could add those with KAS and connect them when S0 is installed on Destiny.

I plan on using KAS struts to stabilize S0's connection to Destiny. I assume using docking ports alone will give quite a wobble. Besides, IRL S0 was bolted to Destiny and has several supporting struts.

If I'm misunderstanding what your issue is please elaborate @trooperMNG.

Edited by Teslamax
reference to current state of Z1

1 hour ago, Teslamax said:

Although this isn't the only way to do it, this is how my assembled ISS looks in the VAB:

Besides some non-structural umbilicals to S0, Z1 had no connection at any time to Destiny. If I remember correctly, Z1 to this day sits on the zenith port of Unity rather alone...

If you wanted to add some cosmetic umbilicals you could add those with KAS and connect them when S0 is installed on Destiny.

I plan on using KAS struts to stabilize S0's connection to Destiny. I assume using docking ports alone will give quite a wobble. Besides, IRL S0 was bolted to Destiny and has several supporting struts.

If I'm misunderstanding what your issue is please elaborate @trooperMNG.

you are right and very clear. It was my typo, I wrote z1 instead of s0. It's late and I'm studying economics, my fault :) Anyway, yeah for now KAS is the only solution, but I would strongly suggest some kind of mount. This was accomplished by @Mike-NZ for his now defunct ISS resurrection:

here is a nice picture of the mount

7e21200b0ea0.jpg

On 4/30/2016 at 11:37 AM, Teslamax said:

Dittos on this!

"Eyes Turned Skyward" & Skylab B

"Eyes Turned Skyward" features a second Skylab (Skylab B, later Spacelab) that was created to be more expandable and upgrade-able.

So looking at this I like what I'm seeing but the trick to skylab (and this was found to be rather impractical at the time but I think they gave up too early) was they planned to basically fly up fuel tanks that would burn the fuel out on the way up, then attach them and retrofit them to be hab area. It was a very good idea. Basically take a fuel tank shell, once empty, do some refurbishment and poof, you have added significant hab space to then fill up with living space or experiments etc.

If you could figure out a way to make a fuel tank that can be altered to science or hab by an engineer POST connection... You'd basically need to put docking ports on either end of the tank (probably 2.5 SR connections) and put the engine past one of the docking ports, dock it then ditch the engine I suppose....

As for the use of infernal robotics, be careful. I tried to make the Canadarm work and while I could move things (Barely) the system is not ideal and grabbing something with one dock and moving it to another is nearly impossible. This means that at least in my case I will end up using tugs despite how it was done in reality. That said... wow, good ideas in this thread!

Also @benjee10 did you see my post about the solar truss and how it rotates in mid flight in the mk3 cargo bay and breaks apart? :) Any chance of a fix to that before my KSPTV stream on Thursday morning? (hope hope but not bugging you about it, honest!!!)