Update 1.1 enters experimental testing

KasperVld

2 minutes ago, micr0wave said:

When you want to really bughunt in alpha/beta builds it should be seen as it's intended, it's not some sort of 'early access' like some might see it. I've been in enough closed betas to know that, when you take it seriously, it isn't playing, more some sort of work.

Experimentals is closed Beta, pre-release is open beta, after the closed Beta.   Per KasperVId not going to discuss further in this thread.

2 hours ago, Captain Sierra said:

If the KSP store doesn't crash on release day I might just be willing to forgive betraying the faith and confidence of 50% of your players.

The Store was actually fairly good for .. er.. 1.0.5, I think it was. Possibly the earlier versions of 1.x too.  It pretty much died on "0.90", but they seemed to fix it up sometime past then.  Or multiplay.co.uk or whoever did, anyhow.  Prior to the change, I had to wait two or three days before I could download the Store version (I own both, but I prefer the Store version when possible).

I'm expecting the full release of 1.1 to carry on the tradition of being able to download on day 0.

Normally I'd like to be cracking the whip (Y'know, Harv, monopropellant is only 20kg for 5 units, not 2t, yes?), but they actually did well in recent releases for the Store version.

Mind you, I'm not going to be enjoying ANY new version at this rate, as I had to change from the incumbent DSL provider (who can't be counted on keeping a connection running for a whole month) to the incumbent cable provider (who can't be counted on keeping a connection running for a whole hour at anything higher than about 50 bits/sec)... so maybe I should post an angry post about KSP leaving out non-internet customers, and demand that they mail me hourly update CDs for the 1.1 open beta. :P  Internet-less Squadgate!  Burn everything down!  BURN IT ALL!! ;adsjfa;skldjfsd

4 minutes ago, zarakon said:

If you bought it at the KSP store, can't you do a transfer to Steam if you really want?  Or was that a limited time offer?

I believe that was a limited time offer and happened right around the time that KSP was made available on STEAM (so like .20-.21 range IIRC).

E:  Also, congrats on the move to experimentals SQUAD!  Good luck squashing them bugs!

Edited by Ignath

Now if we only had some kind of Updater that allows to apply incremental updates to an existing installation. Then a whole lot of drama would not exist at this moment...

1 hour ago, cfds said:

Now if we only had some kind of Updater that allows to apply incremental updates to an existing installation. Then a whole lot of drama would not exist at this moment...

Except that we're talking about an engine update here were pretty much of the whole old system has to be replaced.

5 minutes ago, Mat2ch said:

Except that we're talking about an engine update here were pretty much of the whole old system has to be replaced.

Well, you could download the U5 game one time, and then only go for updates afterwards. Issue here is ofc that you need a much bigger infrastructure over a longer timeframe than usual, ergo costing personal hours and money.

13 hours ago, Ignath said:

I believe that was a limited time offer and happened right around the time that KSP was made available on STEAM (so like .20-.21 range IIRC).

E:  Also, congrats on the move to experimentals SQUAD!  Good luck squashing them bugs!

It was only available to those who bought KSP before March 2013.

5 hours ago, cfds said:

Like the Patcher, mayhaps? I don't think I ever heard that it was fixed.

Well, I am lucky, I bought KSP twice. First on steam, the second time after it went to 1.0 to show my appreciation for the dev team. Just hoping the modding world doesn't have to big problems adapting to 1.1... :mellow: I fear the worst for "legacy" mods such as KW, since they are kindof essential...... at least to me. Haven't yet found a worth replacement. :(

Congrats on entering Experimentals! @KasperVld out of curiosity, how does somebody apply to participate in Experimentals? I've been modding in KSP for over a year now and have created just about every part type, and made some pretty complicated stuff like PartModule/resource switching at runtime. I'm even in the process of making a paraglider for KSP (I haven't seen that one before). I also have professional experience as a software engineer, including engineering level tech support and feature development for an iOS product. My experience might be helpful for Experimentals testing. :)

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Congrats on entering Experimentals! @KasperVld out of curiosity, how does somebody apply to participate in Experimentals? I've been modding in KSP for over a year now and have created just about every part type, and made some pretty complicated stuff like PartModule/resource switching at runtime. I'm even in the process of making a paraglider for KSP (I haven't seen that one before). I also have professional experience as a software engineer, including engineering level tech support and feature development for an iOS product. My experience might be helpful for Experimentals testing. :)

There was an application process a couple/few months ago.

On 3/5/2016 at 4:24 PM, Renegrade said:

The Store was actually fairly good for .. er.. 1.0.5, I think it was. Possibly the earlier versions of 1.x too.  It pretty much died on "0.90", but they seemed to fix it up sometime past then.  Or multiplay.co.uk or whoever did, anyhow.  Prior to the change, I had to wait two or three days before I could download the Store version (I own both, but I prefer the Store version when possible).

I'm expecting the full release of 1.1 to carry on the tradition of being able to download on day 0.

Normally I'd like to be cracking the whip (Y'know, Harv, monopropellant is only 20kg for 5 units, not 2t, yes?), but they actually did well in recent releases for the Store version.

Mind you, I'm not going to be enjoying ANY new version at this rate, as I had to change from the incumbent DSL provider (who can't be counted on keeping a connection running for a whole month) to the incumbent cable provider (who can't be counted on keeping a connection running for a whole hour at anything higher than about 50 bits/sec)... so maybe I should post an angry post about KSP leaving out non-internet customers, and demand that they mail me hourly update CDs for the 1.1 open beta. :P  Internet-less Squadgate!  Burn everything down!  BURN IT ALL!! ;adsjfa;skldjfsd

using SneakerNet might help. i'd send a pm to the devs

Edited by piratecheese

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

36 minutes ago, John FX said:

I see experimentals as not playing the game. You play the game to have fun, you test experimentals to find bugs and you do things differently when you are looking for bugs.

I see there is still some confusion between being an experimental tester and a Steam Opt-in Pre Release post experimental "tester".    If you are a steam user you have the option after experimentals are over of opting in to play *cough* I mean "test"  the new 1.1 for a couple weeks before official release and theoretically report bugs if you find any, so they can be fixed, though there is no obligation to do so.   

17 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

I see there is still some confusion between being an experimental tester and a Steam Opt-in Pre Release post experimental "tester".    If you are a steam user you have the option after experimentals are over of opting in to play *cough* I mean "test"  the new 1.1 for a couple weeks before official release and theoretically report bugs if you find any, so they can be fixed, though there is no obligation to do so.   

Thanks, I do know the difference between Experimentals and the pre-release. I was curious about Experimentals. :)