No Man's Sky

Xannari Ferrows

Just search "No Man's Sky update" and you'll find plenty of You Tubors (spelling intentional) hyping it up.  I went to the No Man's Sky website and read about the update there.  It does contain spoilers, but I found much to enjoy there.

I'm looking forward to it.

4 more days... (Hopefully if nothing changes). :)  or 5ish? 4 and half?  Lol. 

im eagerly awaiting this. And very hyped. 

But I urge people to not buy into the over hype of this game. If you do you're bound to be disappointed. I like the gameplay footage I've seen, and the descriptions of what can be done. Overall I'm approaching for what I see, not the marketing of it. That may not make sense, but I'm hugely drawn to the whole just pick a star and go there and see what you find aspect. The discovery and chance to be first there etc. that is what's drawing me in.

also the survival aspects and resource gathering, while somewhat naggy like, seems like it will add a bit of idk, immersion? To the game. The gameplay footage I've seen seems like something I will enjoy. 

its bound to be repeating in some way, and yes some of the original names generated are just, well unpronounceable, but the bigger issue will be the stupid names and memes that people will no doubt use. Like kotaku naming a planet and a species found harambe. Internet meme crap is what's going to really ruin things. People will try to be clever and circumvent naming limits and put some really foul inappropriate stuff no doubt.  The naming feature will be abused a lot, I hope the have something in place for some of the more severe offenders. 

I can't wait for this game and will for sure be spending a lot of time in this game for awhile. First game I've preordered and paid full price for in awhile on steam. 

Maybe after a few days some of us can try to meet up in space somewhere, if we can find eachother.  There are supposed to be hostile aliens out there, as well as the sentinels, not sure if players can do much to eachother. But battles are part of it, so it may be good to have some people around. 

Once I see how it goes maybe some of the other steam users here wanting to add friends and we can see what's out there. Any PC player really, but it may be easier for steam friends to know others are there. Not sure how game communication works, or if ther is any.  If I remember right I think all platforms will be independent which is sad. If I'm wrong them I'm open to possibly meeting up with anyone regardless of what platform they play on. I'm not a PC elitist, I just think it's PC in their own universe, which if any game would benefit from cross platform servers it's this game.

Hope you all enjoy the game though. Godspeed and safe travels my fellow space bound explorers. :) 

Edited by Hevak

After I commit to buy the game (and the platform), my brother and I and a few nephews plan on getting together weekly and play the game while on a voice chat app.  Our intention is to play the game normally (?) and head for the galactic center; eventually to meet up on an agreed upon space station, followed by planetside fun.

1 hour ago, Dispatcher said:

After I commit to buy the game (and the platform), my brother and I and a few nephews plan on getting together weekly and play the game while on a voice chat app.  Our intention is to play the game normally (?) and head for the galactic center; eventually to meet up on an agreed upon space station, followed by planetside fun.

Have you seen Elite: Dangerous? Its a bucket of fun and released already. Planet names aren't allowed to be player-made though.

1 hour ago, Alphasus said:

Have you seen Elite: Dangerous? Its a bucket of fun and released already. Planet names aren't allowed to be player-made though.

Yes.  Looks and sounds really good.  My brother isn't much into space combat (and I'm not too good at it [but I was a good pilot and driver in Halo multiplayer]).  I'm interested more in exploring places where its likely that nobody else will go (much less find).  We used to make 3rd party maps/ levels for a variety of games (Marathon Infinity, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, some open source games like Sauerbraten, etc.) and I've been known to play games in Wuss mode so I wouldn't be bothered by the bad critters; all so I could explore the levels and see how they were designed.

Who knows; maybe NMS will spark an interest in other games, Elite being one of them.

1 minute ago, Dispatcher said:

Yes.  Looks and sounds really good.  My brother isn't much into space combat (and I'm not too good at it [but I was a good pilot and driver in Halo multiplayer]).  I'm interested more in exploring places where its likely that nobody else will go (much less find).  We used to make 3rd party maps/ levels for a variety of games (Marathon Infinity, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, some open source games like Sauerbraten, etc.) and I've been known to play games in Wuss mode so I wouldn't be bothered by the bad critters; all so I could explore the levels and see how they were designed.

Who knows; maybe NMS will spark an interest in other games, Elite being one of them.

Ahh, so you prefer exploration in general. Personally I do prefer combat. To each their own. I think that Elite will get a new following after the people who quit it realize that NMS is not similar to it in combat at all(they quit because not enough people fought in PvP mode).

35 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Ahh, so you prefer exploration in general. Personally I do prefer combat. To each their own. I think that Elite will get a new following after the people who quit it realize that NMS is not similar to it in combat at all(they quit because not enough people fought in PvP mode).

Yeah, I think NMS space combats will be more arcade style fighting than Elite and that kind of game; but that's just a guess on my part.  I also like the more sandbox structure rather than a more story driven or mission driven, structured gameplay that some games require.  Elite looks more structured than NMS.

A dogfight sim game I enjoyed a lot years ago (and not at all realistic) was Crimson Skies, but it was fun.  I spent half my time just designing and painting planes.

7 hours ago, Dispatcher said:

Yeah, I think NMS space combats will be more arcade style fighting than Elite and that kind of game; but that's just a guess on my part.  I also like the more sandbox structure rather than a more story driven or mission driven, structured gameplay that some games require.  Elite looks more structured than NMS.

A dogfight sim game I enjoyed a lot years ago (and not at all realistic) was Crimson Skies, but it was fun.  I spent half my time just designing and painting planes.

My problem with NMS is that the ships in NMS are closer to reskins than unique designs, as they don't perform differently to a signigifcant measure at all. So, in combat terms, there is only 1 valid combat ship.

Edited by Alphasus

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:

From reviews, I've noticed that people sorta dislike the lack of proper instanced multiplayer.

I believe the creator did come out and warned that people may have unrealistic expectations of the game.

On another note, reading the reviews reminds me of this game

Not the same thing I know, but the exploration of unknown worlds with limited inventory to store items and cargo while meeting aliens whose languages can only be learned in pieces really reminds of that game.

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

From reviews, I've noticed that people sorta dislike the lack of proper instanced multiplayer.

Which I don't understand.

One thing I've not heard of through all of this? Through any of the Let's Plays I've watched?* I've not heard of one instance of lag, pauses while things sync to a server, or outages because the servers are overloaded. Even though the cause of the "you lied to us!" multiplayer bug was understandably explained by the fact that a massive amount of people were playing the game at the time and they just didn't have the server capacity to process them all.

What would you rather have, massive downtime throughout the first weeks of the game's run, plus the constant possibility that they'll some day turn off the servers and render your game unplayable, or the lack of the extremely remote chance that you'll ever meet someone else? I know what I'm rooting for, especially because that person I'd never meet anyway would probably grief me.

*I'll freely admit that I've wathced a lot of NMS LPs over the past 2 days, in lieu of buying a PS4 and the game instead of doing what I'm planning on doing which is buying it for PC this weekend.

5 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Some people refuse to accept that it simply isn't intended to be multiplayer. 

Hopefully my iMac can run it. I got Win10 from the uni I attend (I would say for free, but I probably payed some fee to get it). CPU and RAM should be fine, the 680MX GPU is what I'm worried about. 

I feel sorry for Sean Murray; he creates the game of his dreams, only to have players give planets and other things names like Planety McPlanetface. 

KSP has made me much more appreciative of post release game development, and the fact that content will continue to be added to NMS makes me more willing to buy it. 

At this point the steam countdown timer is just taunting me. :confused:  and I was hoping for a Friday midnight release on steam, but hey what's another few hours I guess. I'm glad that there haven't been many problems with the ps4 rollout. Gives me confidence the PC version will go fairly smooth as well. 

Dont think I've been this excited to get my hands on a game in awhile. I've seen a few vids of gameplay and reviews, game looks great, definitely be taking up some time for awhile.  I need a 200x time warp button to speed this up...

hope everyone enjoys it that has it and is getting it.  :cool:

1 hour ago, Robotengineer said:

Some people refuse to accept that it simply isn't intended to be multiplayer. 

Hopefully my iMac can run it. I got Win10 from the uni I attend (I would say for free, but I probably payed some fee to get it). CPU and RAM should be fine, the 680MX GPU is what I'm worried about. 

I feel sorry for Sean Murray; he creates the game of his dreams, only to have players give planets and other things names like Planety McPlanetface. 

KSP has made me much more appreciative of post release game development, and the fact that content will continue to be added to NMS makes me more willing to buy it. 

Well min specs are 8gb and an nvidia 480 or rad. 7870, not exactly high end cards I think? So if your 680 is following the normal naming trend I think you should be ok. Not sure how Mac vid cards translate to PC.   Game Looks great, but doesn't seem too intensive really. Idk, hope your setup works though. Good luck with it. 

Edited by Hevak

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

The Steam release is on Friday. It's currently Thursday, even in those places in the world where it's past midnight.

Yeah I know, meant midnight Friday. But it's 9 or 10am release here, that's what I meant by a few more hours. Yeah my post wasn't very clear lol. 

Edited by Hevak

Processor: Intel Core i3 

Memory: 8 GB RAM 

Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870 

Storage: 10 GB available space

System Requirements Minimum

@SpaceXray

That's a desktop i3. and your GPU is far too weak to run it. Also not enough RAM.

@Robotengineer You will be fine, barely. Your GPU is a bit better than minimum.

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Processor: Intel Core i3 

Memory: 8 GB RAM 

Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870 

Storage: 10 GB available space

System Requirements Minimum

@SpaceXray

That's a desktop i3. and your GPU is far too weak to run it. Also not enough RAM.

@Robotengineer You will be fine, barely. Your GPU is a bit better than minimum.

The specs are too vague, because it doesn't mention what is the frequency or generation of the i3, and modern Intel graphics are actually very powerful. Don't think RAM should be that big of a deal. Remember these specs are usually just for max settings.

35 minutes ago, SpaceXray said:

The specs are too vague, because it doesn't mention what is the frequency or generation of the i3, and modern Intel graphics are actually very powerful. Don't think RAM should be that big of a deal. Remember these specs are usually just for max settings.

Minimum specs.... a 480 is 3x as fast as an HD 520. I compared those GPUs via UserBenchmark, so I know that iGPUs got faster. They aren't as fast as a 480.

18 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Minimum specs.... a 480 is 3x as fast as an HD 520. I compared those GPUs via UserBenchmark, so I know that iGPUs got faster. They aren't as fast as a 480.

Well now I know, thanks ;D

Should probably get a console then for dedicated gaming.

I've been reading very mixed reviews. On one hand there are reviews that go absolutely through the roof. People are loving it and are blown away by the uniqueness of each and every world and creature. On the other hand there are a similar number of people who rate it incredibly low. After the first few planets things become repetitive and boring. Planets might look different but what you can/should do is the same everywhere.

So I don't know what to think of NMS yet. I'll have to give it a try myself. Be it a free demo or through other means. :wink: I am NOT spending any cash on it before I try it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.