Tesla (Renamed)(Tesla semi/Roadster)

Spaceception

Would you buy a Tesla Model 3?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Tesla Model 3?

• YES!!! I've been waiting so long!
    • No, I'm waiting for the Model Y/Return of the Roadster, or maybe for the Model S/X to get cheaper
    • No, EVs aren't on my radar, the range is too low
    • No, I already have one
    • I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure
    • I'd kill for one, but I can't afford it
  2. 2. Would you rather

• Buy a Bolt
    • Buy a Model 3

Aside from the 1.1 HYPE for KSP, There's also the HYPE for Tesla motor's Model 3, debuting March 31st. So far this is all we know

• The Model 3 will be 35,000 USD, which is about half the price of the Model S
  • It will be 20% Smaller than the Model S, making me think it'll be a Coupe (If it is, that will be so cool!)
  • It will have a 200 mile range (321 km/Minimum)
  • Pre-orders start this year, but production doesn't start 'til 2017
  • There's a Model S, a Model 3 (Which was supposed to be E, but Ford had that), a Model X, and a Model Y, is Tesla trying to tell us something? :)

So would you buy a Model 3, or wait for the Model Y (Or wait for the Model S/X to get cheaper), or wait for the Roadster to come back?

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

(This is just a fan rendering, we have no idea what it'll look like)

EDIT: Here's what it looks like :D

gallery-1459487318-model-3-unveil.jpg

Edited by Spaceception

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still wondering whether or not to buy one in the coming years. On one hand, it's obviously going to be a very interesting car, especially with the autonomous driving features expected to be unlocked towards the end of the decade (I loathe commuting five days a week).

On the other hand, it's a very large car for me... I mean, I drive a hatchback and don't even utilize that fully. And it'll cost five times of what I paid for my current car. The difference in insurance alone will probably be higher than the amount I save on fuel... without factoring in the cost of electricity itself.

All in all, this is not a mass market car (regardless of what Tesla would like to call it), but rather an upper class sedan like a Mercedes S-class (with which it will in fact directly compete as far as pricing goes). And I definitely would never even begin to think that an S-class would be right for me. Gonna have to think really hard about this one.

Edited by Streetwind

Just now, Streetwind said:

All in all, this is not a mass market car (regardless of what Tesla would like to call it), but rather an upper class sedan like a Mercedes S-class (with which it will in fact directly compete as far as pricing goes). And I definitely would never even begin to think that an S-class would be right for me. Gonna have to think really hard about this one.

Well, it's at least close to a mass market car, $35,000 is pretty good.

It's a US price, so it's without taxes. The true cost is gonna be higher. In fact, I'll eat my hat if there was any variant at all that starts with a 3 in front in Europe, where the prices are always given with taxes included. It's all going to be €40,000+, mark my words! ;)

(For example, the Model S starts at €83,500 here, not $70,000... if the Model 3 is supposed to be half that price, it'll start at €42,000.)

Edited by Streetwind

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Well, it's at least close to a mass market car, $35,000 is pretty good.

Before subs. Depending on which state you live in, I;ve read that you can get subs around 10k.

42 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Looks like they are anticipating server overload when the online orders open. They should have used Curse.

Or Steam, 'cause Tesla can't afford servers. Kinda like Squad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.