[1.3.x] Kerbin Side GAP

Keniamin

What's this?
Kerbin Side GAP is a mod inspired by Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) mod, which offers contracts for planes, VTOLs and helicopters on Kerbin. But GAP uses only default KSP runways – KSC and the Island. At the same time there is a great Kerbin Side mod which adds many bases with runways and helipads at different points of the Kerbin. This Kerbin Side GAP mod adds contracts to KSP concerning all these bases. Airlines all around the Kerbin!

Screenshots:

Wait, is this just a remake of Kerbin Side Jobs?
No, this is a completely new mod. Well... ok, some contracts may indeed look very similar, since both KSJ and Side GAP use formula "pick up X at A and transport them to B". However, KSJ has limited amount of routes which are generating randomly, and pays much attention to the altitude of the flight (it usually requires sub-orbital of even space flight). Kerbin Side GAP has routes between majority of bases (now only 7 bases have no incoming or outgoing routes, and the rest bases have at least one route in each direction), routes are static so they have a kind of plot. Also, Kerbin Side GAP does not limit your altitude, you can use the comfortable one or select some general rule like real-life flight levels.

Content.
At the moment these types of contract are available (totally 49 contracts):
  • Service flight. Many agencies have their staff on different bases. Sometimes they need to transport employees from one base to another, and are looking for aircraft to do it.
    Contracts with a few passengers, little reward and usually not very large distance.
  • Business flight. Some serious kerbals are doing their business. And their business requires them to travel between locations. They have money, you have transport. What's else?
    Fully post-paid contracts with one passenger and medium reward level. Include on-ground transfer of passenger from his/her location to the airport.
  • Tourists group flight. Group of tourists want to rent a craft to reach their destination.
    Flight with a small group of passengers, medium distance and reward. Usually requires VTOL (at least one of the ends of route has only helipad).
  • Charter flight. Group of kerbals moves along the same route, so they want to charter a plane by sharing a cost.
    Flight with relatively big amount of passengers and fully pre-paid reward, medium or large distance and some additional requirements to service.
  • Commercial flight. Regular flights between the biggest airports of the Kerbin.
    Flight with big amount of passengers, large distance, strict requirements about technical support and really big half pre-paid reward.

Route map (click to enlarge):
RoutesSmall.jpg

Highres (4096x2048 px, approx. 5 MB)

Map in SVG

Installation.
You may install this mod from CKAN, though there are some notes about this case (see below).
To install the mod manually you can download the latest version from the releases page on the GitHub.
Open the archive and follow instructions in the README file.

Dependencies.
  • Any of Kerbin Side packages – required, to add bases to KSP.
    • Note: there is no actual version of Kerbin Side in CKAN at the moment, so for CKAN version I left dependency only on KerbalKonstructs and let you choose and install any Kerbin Side package you want.
  • Contract Configuratorrequired, version 1.21.0 or newer, to make contracts configurable.
  • Waypoint Manager – highly recommended, because, as it is in real life, many bases have parking area not on the runway itself (imagine an airport where all planes stand straight on the runway), but somewhere more or less close to it (usually a flat concrete area which looks like good place to park aircrafts).
  • Nav Utilitiesrecommended, to make landing easier; Kerbin Side GAP includes config for Nav Utilities to add all Kerbin Side runways.
    • Note: there is no actual version of Nav Utilities in CKAN at the moment, so for CKAN version I removed this dependency. You can download and install it by yourself.
  • Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion (KAX)suggested; despite the fact that mod fully playable in stock KSP, KAX contains very useful stuff for building aircraft (especially VTOLs and helicopters) and makes some contracts much more enjoyable.

README file in release package contains additional info about packages and some links for manual download (worked at the moment of publication with KSP v1.2.2, no guarantees in future).

Integration with other mods.
  • Kramax AutoPilot – Kerbin Side GAP contains routes for the Kramax AutoPilot mod in two variants: landing patterns for every Kerbin Side runway (4-point routes with IAF, FAF, Flare and Stop points to make smooth and safe approach to the specified runway) and full flight plans for every contract, that simulates real-world scheme (airways between the beacons), including takeoff, cruise flight at appropriate altitude, approach and landing. Airways map:
    Highres (4096x2048 px, approx. 5 MB)
    Map in SVG
    Landing patterns and full routes are stored in the different files, so you can remove one that you don't need to save space in Kramax AutoPilot routes list. Files are located in <main game folder>\GameData\ContractPacks\KerbinSideGAP\Patches
    Small video teaser

Contribution.
If you find an error you can send me a personal message here on the forum, or even better open an issue in my GitHub repository.
If you want to change something – I'm open to suggestions. Pull-requests on the GitHub are welcomed too.
Edited by Keniamin

Finally got time to try this out. It's frankly awesome. The amount of detail in these contracts is impressive and not only provides more stuff to do with aircraft but successfully gives Kerbin-Side a lot more purpose too.

I totally endorse this mod. If you like Kerbin-Side, get this.

Thank you very much! Such response from the author of the original mod means a lot for me. Hope you are not very offended that I allowed myself to interpret original description of some bases rather loosely to make some contracts more interesting :)

1 hour ago, Keniamin said:

Thank you very much! Such response from the author of the original mod means a lot for me. Hope you are not very offended that I allowed myself to interpret original description of some bases rather loosely to make some contracts more interesting :)

I am not remotely offended. I like how you've expanded on the very bare bones descriptions the bases have. Your contracts pack does a fine job of making the bases more characterful just by what different contracts involve them.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 3:33 AM, theonegalen said:

Does this work with just Kerbin-Side Skyways installed rather than Kerbin-Side complete?

I don't know what exactly Skyways pack includes, but at first sight it seems that majority of contracts would work as expected. You may have some problems with, for example, contracts concerning the Old KSC (aka KSC2), because, as I can see, upgrades for it are in the separate pack. But, in general, the only requirement from Kerbin Side is the bases themselves. If you have both departure and arrival bases (mean static objects on the ground of Kerbin) in most cases it would be enough for you to perform a requested flight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, trying this out.

So I'm supposed to pick up this Kerbal.  I got my plane to the pickup station, landed, but how the hell am I supposed to get him on the plane?  I can't control him at all, can't activate him in the tracking station.  He just sits there at the terminal and doesn't do anything even though his flight is waiting on the runway.  I even ran another Kerbal out there to try and climb on his helmet, but I still can't activate him.

Does he need to go through security first?

Cheers,

-BS

Well, it works if I hack the save file to make Raytop selectable.  I'll have to see if I can actually complete the contract now.

I put another Kerbal on EVA and looked for differences in the save file that might make Raytop unavailable to control.  I was looking at the VESSEL section which represents the Kerbal.  Note I don't recommend this procedure without backing up your save files.  I think it was probably editing the DISCOVERY section that did it.

Cheers,

-BS

From

flag = 

PlantFlag
						{
							active = False
							guiActive = True
							guiActiveUncommand = False
							guiIcon = Plant Flag [1]
							guiName = Plant Flag [1]
							category = Plant Flag [1]
							guiActiveUnfocused = False
							unfocusedRange = 2
							externalToEVAOnly = True
						}

DISCOVERY
			{
				state = 29
				lastObservedTime = 10931.6679956825
				lifetime = 64800
				refTime = 64800
				size = 0
			}
			FLIGHTPLAN

To

flag = Squad/Flags/bullseye

PlantFlag
						{
							active = True
							guiActive = True
							guiActiveUncommand = False
							guiIcon = Plant Flag [1]
							guiName = Plant Flag [1]
							category = Plant Flag [1]
							guiActiveUnfocused = False
							unfocusedRange = 2
							externalToEVAOnly = True
						}

DISCOVERY
			{
				state = -1
				lastObservedTime = 0
				lifetime = Infinity
				refTime = Infinity
				size = 2
			}

15 hours ago, barfing_skull said:

I can't control him at all, can't activate him in the tracking station.

You need no operations in the tracking station. Normally when the kerbal enters vessel selection range (approx. 2 km) of your active vessel, you would be able to switch control to him using "previous/next vessel" buttons ("[" and "]" by default). Absolutely the same as in case of "rescue kerbal" missions, where you have to switch vessel to the one in which kerbal waits, once you have approached close enough to it. If it not works, it is probably a bug.

6 hours ago, Keniamin said:

You need no operations in the tracking station. Normally when the kerbal enters vessel selection range (approx. 2 km) of your active vessel, you would be able to switch control to him using "previous/next vessel" buttons ("[" and "]" by default). Absolutely the same as in case of "rescue kerbal" missions, where you have to switch vessel to the one in which kerbal waits, once you have approached close enough to it. If it not works, it is probably a bug.

Yeah, I practically had another kerbal climb on top of him, still couldn't get him to budge.  I've noticed the in-physics-range thing usually works, didn't do it this time.  I didn't try the previous/next vessel, if I encounter this again I'll give it a try, though I'd be surprised if that worked.

Editing the save file was the only way I could actually wake him up.

Once I coaxed him on my plane, the rest of the mission worked as planned.

Cheers,

-BS

9 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Not to mention that all the bases except KSC are closed.

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately there is no realistic ways to check if the player have already opened the base. Though, for service and business flights this does not matter. You can send the plane from KSC, pick up your passengers and transport them to the destination point – no need to open neither first nor second base. Of course it is more complicated, but possible.

@Keniamin I'm busy extending Contract Configurator so that it can more directly operate with Kerbal Konstructs. The CC extensions will let you have requirements such as whether a base is open and closed and provide behaviours such as locking a base (so it can be neither opened or closed), opening and closing a base. This can make for interesting rewards.

It's not ready yet but when it is I think you'll find it useful.

May I suggest increasing the fund rewards for Kerbin Side Gap Contracts?
I find the rewards of these contracts to be rather small. Sure the rewards are enough to pay for the fuel I use. But it is not enough to reward me for my time flying these long routes.

Edited by JedTech

Could it be compatible with only Skyways part of kerbinside? Rest of the kerbinside kills my FPS badly, but only skyways are just fine...Are other bases also needed for correct function of this contract pack? Thanks for answers.

On ‎26‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 0:10 AM, JedTech said:

May I suggest increasing the fund rewards for Kerbin Side Gap Contracts?
I find the rewards of these contracts to be rather small. Sure the rewards are enough to pay for the fuel I use. But it is not enough to reward me for my time flying these long routes.

Yes, I thought about it too. But, from the other point of view, the largest reward for Side GAP now is 165k (longest commercial flight with maximal amount of passengers). And, real example from my current game, building of the space station around Kerbin with research lab aboard brings only 138k. I think it is strange that just a flight in the atmosphere is paid more than the space-launch operation. So I choose some compromise variant. May be it would be right decisions to "rescale" the rewards, that is to pay more for simple contracts like service flights (since they are really quite long and not so simple after all), keeping at the same time current maximum (or even make it a bit lower). I'll think about this possibility.

Edited by Keniamin

7 minutes ago, Keniamin said:

Yes, I thought about it too. But, from the other point of view, the largest reward for Side GAP now is 165k (longest commercial flight with maximal amount of passengers). And, real example from my current game, building of the space station around Kerbin with research lab aboard brings only 138k. I think it is strange that just a flight in the atmosphere is paid more than the space-launch operation. So I choose some compromise variant. May be it would be right decisions to "rescale" the rewards, that is to pay more for simple contracts like service flights (since they are really quite long and not so simple after all), keeping at the same time current maximum (or even make it a bit lower). I'll think about this possibility.

Sounds like a good idea. I am early in my career and only interested in the single passenger contracts. But they just don't pay well compared to other contracts in early career.

Edited by JedTech

13 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Could it be compatible with only Skyways part of kerbinside? Rest of the kerbinside kills my FPS badly, but only skyways are just fine...Are other bases also needed for correct function of this contract pack? Thanks for answers.

I answered about Skyways pack some posts above:

On ‎22‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 7:47 PM, Keniamin said:

I don't know what exactly Skyways pack includes, but at first sight it seems that majority of contracts would work as expected. You may have some problems with, for example, contracts concerning the Old KSC (aka KSC2), because, as I can see, upgrades for it are in the separate pack. But, in general, the only requirement from Kerbin Side is the bases themselves. If you have both departure and arrival bases (mean static objects on the ground of Kerbin) in most cases it would be enough for you to perform a requested flight.

If you have Skyways and Side GAP both installed and experiencing some difficulties, you can describe the details of your problems and I'll have a look whether I can do something to fix them.

48 minutes ago, Keniamin said:

I answered about Skyways pack some posts above:

Oh, my apologies, I didn´t notice this.
Alright, I will test it myself and report later about my findings. Of course, it´s not a problem for me install those mods manually, but I really love CKAN management because I have several installs on separate machines, sending my save files around via clouds so I can continue playing where I left off, but because of this any mod update management would be a horror to do manually, this keeps my games compatible with saves. Do you think that you would consider making the mod dependancy to kerbinside complete OR skyways in CKAN library if I´ll find no problems? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.