[1.3.x] Kerbin Side GAP

Keniamin

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 8:52 PM, Daniel Prates said:

@Keniamin sorry for prolonging this issue.... indeed I checked and now I am running current GAP. However... the actual "konstructs: kerbin side" available in CKAN is unappealably 1.1.3. 

I am guessing this doesn't do any harm though. Or the current GAP demands higher (if there is one)?

Yes, at the moment Kerbin Side is not available from CKAN. There you can get Kerbal Konstruct (0.9.8.9 latest), Contract Configurator (1.22.2 latest) and Kerbin Side GAP itself. To get latest version of Kerbin Side please see http://spacedock.info/mod/150/Kerbin-Side Complete (or http://spacedock.info/mod/374/Kerbin-Side Skyways for Skyways pack). Other useful links are listed in README file of the Kerbin Side GAP archive (if you downloaded it via CKAN you'll find this archive in <GameRoot>\CKAN\downloads).

Would it be feasible (and not too much of a hassle) to tweak the contracts such that no loading/unloading of Kerbals need take place? Putting lots of Kerbals on EVA/loading in lots of EVA Kerbals tends to crash my modded saves and kill my performance to unplayable levels. It is also a bit tedious on larger aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 1:05 AM, Nixod321 said:

Would it be feasible (and not too much of a hassle) to tweak the contracts such that no loading/unloading of Kerbals need take place? Putting lots of Kerbals on EVA/loading in lots of EVA Kerbals tends to crash my modded saves and kill my performance to unplayable levels. It is also a bit tedious on larger aircraft.

I was wondering this too. Like if it where made similar to the KerbinSide contracts where you get a menu to load everyone in with one button.

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 0:05 PM, Nixod321 said:

Sorry for extremely long time before my answer.

No, such tweak isn't very difficult, but actually I don't want to do it. In business flights picking up the kerbal and transferring him to the plane is a significant part of the contract. In service flights it is not a necessary part, but it makes my contracts various. Without EVA all Kerbin Side GAP contracts would be very similar and so would not be very interesting. It is a curious challenge to make loading easier, isn't it? Drive your plane closer to the kerbals, or make a separate vessel to transport them to the plane all together, or invent another solution, be creative!

It's very sad if you can't do it because of unplayable performance. But it also sounds strange for me, because maximal number of EVA kerbals in one contract is four (and for business flights it is always exactly one). Your hardware really can not process 4 kerbals? My apologies if so, but it is something extremely unexpected.

What about crashed saves: you can send me one and I'll try to look what the reason is and what can be done here. Though there are bad chances for success, I suppose it depends strongly on the installed mods, so the crash may be not reproducible for me.

After all, if you don't like contracts with EVA kerbals for any reason, you can simply ignore them and accept only other types of flights. May be you even can exclude these types to release some slots for the flights of the other types (not sure if Contract Configurator allows you to turn off specified subgroup, I think @nightingale can clarify this point).

On ‎31‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 0:25 PM, the_machemer said:

I was wondering this too. Like if it where made similar to the KerbinSide contracts where you get a menu to load everyone in with one button.

I'm not sure I understand what button do you mean, but anyway Kerbin Side GAP does not provide any interfaces (i.e. GUI). All buttons and other such things are from Contract Configurator. If they work for the KerbinSide contract they must, I think, work for my mod too. But, of course, may be I'm wrong. If you give any further information about this button (screenshot with example?) I can take a look.

On ‎02‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Spran said:

It would be cool if you could make flightplans for Kramax's Autopilot mod! :)

I tried it out and it looks interesting. I am thinking about what can be done here. I suppose I'll have some results after a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned :wink:

4 hours ago, Keniamin said:

After all, if you don't like contracts with EVA kerbals for any reason, you can simply ignore them and accept only other types of flights. May be you even can exclude these types to release some slots for the flights of the other types (not sure if Contract Configurator allows you to turn off specified subgroup, I think @nightingale can clarify this point).

You should be able to enable/disable specific contract groups in the difficulty settings (it should be available in an existing save, and not just on start of a new game).

19 hours ago, nightingale said:

You should be able to enable/disable specific contract groups in the difficulty settings (it should be available in an existing save, and not just on start of a new game).

Yes, for groups. But seems like it doesn't work for subgroups after all.

Config:

CONTRACT_GROUP
{
	minVersion = 1.21.0
	name = KerbinSideGapContract
	displayName = Kerbin Side GAP
	agent = Kerbin Side GAP
	maxSimultaneous = 8
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapCommercialFlightContract
		displayName = Perform commercial flight
		agent = BlueSky Airways
		maxSimultaneous = 4
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapTouristGroupFlightContract
		displayName = Perform tourist group flight
		agent = Kerbal Aircraft Rent
		maxSimultaneous = 1
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapCharterFlightContract
		displayName = Perform charter flight
		agent = Kerbin Charter Jet
		maxSimultaneous = 3
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapBusinessFlightContract
		displayName = Perform business flight
		maxSimultaneous = 2
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapServiceFlightContract
		displayName = Perform service flight
		agent = Kerbin Side GAP
		maxSimultaneous = 4
	}
}

Result:

3 hours ago, Keniamin said:

Yes, for groups. But seems like it doesn't work for subgroups after all.

Config:

CONTRACT_GROUP
{
	minVersion = 1.21.0
	name = KerbinSideGapContract
	displayName = Kerbin Side GAP
	agent = Kerbin Side GAP
	maxSimultaneous = 8
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapCommercialFlightContract
		displayName = Perform commercial flight
		agent = BlueSky Airways
		maxSimultaneous = 4
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapTouristGroupFlightContract
		displayName = Perform tourist group flight
		maxSimultaneous = 1
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapCharterFlightContract
		displayName = Perform charter flight
		agent = Kerbin Charter Jet
		maxSimultaneous = 3
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapBusinessFlightContract
		displayName = Perform business flight
		maxSimultaneous = 2
	}
	CONTRACT_GROUP
	{
		minVersion = 1.21.0
		name = KerbinSideGapServiceFlightContract
		displayName = Perform service flight
		agent = Kerbin Side GAP
		maxSimultaneous = 4
	}
}

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, the intention was to only allow user enabling/disabling of the top level groups.  Not as simple, but the only option for disabling contracts for a child group would be module manager hackery (or just ignoring said contracts, as you suggested).

On ‎16‎-‎05‎-‎2017 at 11:53 PM, Keniamin said:

Sorry for extremely long time before my answer.

No, such tweak isn't very difficult, but actually I don't want to do it. In business flights picking up the kerbal and transferring him to the plane is a significant part of the contract. In service flights it is not a necessary part, but it makes my contracts various. Without EVA all Kerbin Side GAP contracts would be very similar and so would not be very interesting. It is a curious challenge to make loading easier, isn't it? Drive your plane closer to the kerbals, or make a separate vessel to transport them to the plane all together, or invent another solution, be creative!

It's very sad if you can't do it because of unplayable performance. But it also sounds strange for me, because maximal number of EVA kerbals in one contract is four (and for business flights it is always exactly one). Your hardware really can not process 4 kerbals? My apologies if so, but it is something extremely unexpected.

What about crashed saves: you can send me one and I'll try to look what the reason is and what can be done here. Though there are bad chances for success, I suppose it depends strongly on the installed mods, so the crash may be not reproducible for me.

I'm not sure I understand what button do you mean, but anyway Kerbin Side GAP does not provide any interfaces (i.e. GUI). All buttons and other such things are from Contract Configurator. If they work for the KerbinSide contract they must, I think, work for my mod too. But, of course, may be I'm wrong. If you give any further information about this button (screenshot with example?) I can take a look.

I tried it out and it looks interesting. I am thinking about what can be done here. I suppose I'll have some results after a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned :wink:

Fantastic! I can't wait! 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Spran said:

Fantastic! I can't wait! 

Just released v2.2 with Kramax Autopilot integration in two variants: landing patterns for every Kerbin Side runway (4-point routes with IAF, FAF, Flare and Stop points to make smooth and safe approach to the specified runway) and full routes for every contract, that simulates real-world scheme (airways between the beacons), including takeoff, cruise flight at appropriate altitude, approach and touchdown. These types are stored in the different files, so you can remove one that you don't need to save space in Kramax AutoPilot routes list. Files are located in <main game folder>\GameData\ContractPacks\KerbinSideGAP\Patches

Will appear in the CKAN after a few hours, or you can download it directly from GitHub releases.

Small video teaser.

Edited by Keniamin

Oh wow,amazing! Are you at all familiar with the beacons included in the ASET Avionics package? If your beacons differ from those on the chart, I can add them to ASET to allow for simulated radio navigation, if you have the latitude, longitude, altitude, name, code, etc. I found some of these in the Flightplans.cfg, but I think there are a few that aren't in there. :)

Edited by theonegalen

On ‎17‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 9:59 PM, theonegalen said:

Are you at all familiar with the beacons included in the ASET Avionics package? If your beacons differ from those on the chart, I can add them to ASET to allow for simulated radio navigation, if you have the latitude, longitude, altitude, name, code, etc.

Auuu... No, unfortunately, I didn't know about this pack when I tried to make a flight plans :( So I just used all Kerbin Side locations radars (to be more precise, selected all static objects with FacilityType equals to TrackingStation or RadarStation and then throw away all but one for those bases, which have more than one). Interestingly, it is already a quite good approximation: for example, straight airway from Coaler Crater to Lake Dermal goes above the pass exactly between two tall mountains, with no need for any manual corrections :) Then I added beacons for approaching difficult mountain runways (Round Range and The Old KSC) and some beacons for too long routes (aiming to have maximal distance between neighbor beacons not more than 425 km for every route).

Here is the list of all my beacons. Coordinates are exact, altitudes is more or less higher than the surface to guarantee safe passes above terrain obstacles and static objects for the autopilot. Of course, you are free to add any of them to any kind of information system. Names are given (though I have quite poor fantasy, so if you have ideas about naming – you're welcome), code and radio frequency are up to you.

But, honestly, I think it would be better if I reviewed my routes and replaced beacons (at least manually added ones) with some already created before me. Just to not reinvent the wheel :)

8 hours ago, Keniamin said:

But, honestly, I think it would be better if I reviewed my routes and replaced beacons (at least manually added ones) with some already created before me. Just to not reinvent the wheel :)

If the ASET beacons work for that, I think you're right. There are a lot of your beacons close to @alexustas's beacons, although not in identical locations, aside from KSC and the old island. I made an overlay of the two different beacon maps, but its on my computer at home and I'm on the job for the next few hours. I'll upload it tonight when I get home. If you don't see it by tomorrow, just remind me. :)

EDIT: Here you go.

There are a lot of places that are very close, but in general, the ASET beacons are more arbitrarily placed, because they weren't meant to be used with KerbinSide, and were placed more to make sure there was 100% coverage across the planet at high altitudes rather than inspired b geography. I actually do like some of your custom NDBs more than I like the existing ASET VORs and NDBs.

Edited by theonegalen

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this has to be a bug... I picked up a contract to fly four people from Black Crags to KSC. I choose the launch location in the menu, hit launch.. And POOF, contract failed. Apparently, all four of my passengers immediately died from impact. My aircraft stood perfectly still on the runway at Black Crags.

This was in the log along with more people:
8o9azqE.png

Last bit of the log is here: https://gist.github.com/8dcf60962345d451c658790a55db98a8

Something really did not like them... And god, I killed Elon :( So, thoughts on this? I can revert to the SPH and the contract should still be there.

2 hours ago, Tivec said:

Ok, this has to be a bug... I picked up a contract to fly four people from Black Crags to KSC. I choose the launch location in the menu, hit launch.. And POOF, contract failed. Apparently, all four of my passengers immediately died from impact. My aircraft stood perfectly still on the runway at Black Crags.

This was in the log along with more people:
8o9azqE.png

Last bit of the log is here: https://gist.github.com/8dcf60962345d451c658790a55db98a8

Something really did not like them... And god, I killed Elon :( So, thoughts on this? I can revert to the SPH and the contract should still be there.

I suspect this is related to a known issue.  Let me take a look at the other issue you raised and I'll get a new release of Contract Configurator out soon(ish).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎-‎06‎-‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Keniamin said:

Just released v2.2 with Kramax Autopilot integration in two variants: landing patterns for every Kerbin Side runway (4-point routes with IAF, FAF, Flare and Stop points to make smooth and safe approach to the specified runway) and full routes for every contract, that simulates real-world scheme (airways between the beacons), including takeoff, cruise flight at appropriate altitude, approach and touchdown. These types are stored in the different files, so you can remove one that you don't need to save space in Kramax AutoPilot routes list. Files are located in <main game folder>\GameData\ContractPacks\KerbinSideGAP\Patches

Will appear in the CKAN after a few hours, or you can download it directly from GitHub releases.

Small video teaser.

Wow! Thank you so much, I have been waiting for this! :)

I am experiencing a glitch with a contract.  When i accept the "Barnstorm Jebs toolshed" contract it automatically fails.... Any ideas? I have many mods downloaded and I use CKAN.  I've tried to reinstall and start a new career, no change.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:28 PM, Wild_Rover said:

I am experiencing a glitch with a contract.  When i accept the "Barnstorm Jebs toolshed" contract it automatically fails.... Any ideas? I have many mods downloaded and I use CKAN.  I've tried to reinstall and start a new career, no change.

I've found another one, the contract for Island airfield preparation will not register that you have landed on the airfield island, and therefor you cannot complete the mission.  

On ‎18‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Wild_Rover said:

accept the "Barnstorm Jebs toolshed" contract

On ‎20‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 11:12 PM, Wild_Rover said:

the contract for Island airfield preparation

Are you sure it is for me? This topic is about Kerbin Side GAP mode, a set of contracts around Kerbin Side bases. It provides no contract about Island airfield and absolutely doesn't know what is "Barnstorm Jebs toolshed" :)

May be you need the original GAP topic?

• 1 month later...
On ‎02‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 0:53 PM, the_machemer said:

Pardon the noob question but how exactly do you add the runways in the included file to NavUtilites? dropping it straight in the runways folder does nothing for me. 

Sounds strange because it is really worked in a such manner. I just put the file into <GameData>\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\Runways and all became ok.

Make sure your file does not consist duplicating names (not only within your file, but also with other runways defined in all other files in this folder) and runway definition is correct. For example my definitions look like this (all fields are required, except "identOfOpposite"):

Runway
{
	body = Kerbin
	ident = Black Krags 01
	shortID = BK01
	hdg = 7.18
	altMSL = 326
	gsLatitude = 11.258509
	gsLongitude = 272.304277
	locLatitude = 11.32039
	locLongitude = 272.312225
	outerMarkerDist = 10000
	middleMarkerDist = 2200
	innerMarkerDist = 200
	identOfOpposite = Black Krags 19
}

On 9/5/2017 at 5:49 AM, Keniamin said:

Sounds strange because it is really worked in a such manner. I just put the file into <GameData>\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\Runways and all became ok.

Make sure your file does not consist duplicating names (not only within your file, but also with other runways defined in all other files in this folder) and runway definition is correct. For example my definitions look like this (all fields are required, except "identOfOpposite"):

Yeah same as what I did, guess it wasn't a noob question after all.  Oh well, I just entered them all manually into the custom runway file so I'll be fine. 

Edited by the_machemer

Hi, I am having trouble to complete contracts with this mod.

I have the contract - Flight: Kerbin's Bottom -->The Shelf.

I can't check the paramater "Has All Passengers Aboard", even though I have an aircraft commander aboard. Gus and Virmund Kerman are green checked, but I can't load then into the aircraft, even though I have crew spots available. They wont show on  the IVA windows at the bottom.

I am guessing they cant use crew spots, but I can't find what kind of cockipt they use. I do use Unmanned Before Manned, so that may be changing my parts available on tech tree. Anyway I can't figure out how, or to find a tutorial for this mod.

Thank you for any help.

Edited by Aspira

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.