Kerbal-Kon 2016- Let's Do This, For Real This Time

kenbobo

You guys were talking about big cites, we could try the MN state fair grounds. It's pretty much right in the twin cites. It looks like form the price sheet if we get the second or third floor in the 4-H building it would cost $525 a day plus and $525 for parking and about $250 for labor.

Price sheet here http://www.mnstatefair.org/pdf/16_Event_Rate_Sheet.pdf

Edited by Dfthu

Let's do one where the most people can drive to easily. From what I've seen, most KSPers live in North America and Europe. Considering the fact that most people prefer to drive, we should have two Kerbalcons. One right in the centre of North America, and one right in the centre of Europe. I nominate Sioux Falls and Berlin, because both are right in the middle of their respective continents. Any large city is less than half a continent from those cities. It could be done in a week's drive at the very most.

Are there space-related events this summer near those cities?

Edited by Findthepin1

7 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Are there space-related events this summer near those cities?

The MN science museum usually has space stuff there.

Edit: turns out the MN discovery center has a a space event for April 30 

Edited by Dfthu

12 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

The MN science museums usually has space stuff there.

Good, Minnesota is in the middle of the continent. What we need to do is get a whole bunch of people to say they're in favour of this event and get the MN science museum to support us there.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out Europe. A significant amount of the European players live in Britain and Scandinavia, so they'd have to get to the Continent by boat or plane. This is expensive. They'd rather drive. Is it better to have three KSP conventions in Europe with less people, or one convention for the whole continent, with more people, that is potentially much more expensive to get to?

Edited by Findthepin1

7 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Good, Minnesota is in the middle of the continent. What we need to do is get a whole bunch of people to say they're in favour of this event and get the MN science museum to support us there.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out Europe. A significant amount of the European players live in Britain and Scandinavia, so they'd have to get to the Continent by boat or plane. This is expensive. They'd rather drive. Is it better to have three KSP conventions in Europe with less people, or one convention with more people that is potentially much more expensive to get to?

If your thinking we can have it at the science museum that might be a problem. Because A, It might cost to much, B they won't let us have it there or C they don't have any space there. We could ask to support us at the state fairgrounds, there fairly close together.

I also found that the DNR building is cheaper ($325) then the 4-H building.

Edited by Dfthu

2 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Less chance for people to meet each other. What fun is five different Kerbalcons if only 1/5 of the KSPers attend each?

I meant more like one in North America and one in Europe. My problem with one central one is A. Maybe people can't afford a flight to Greenland, or simply don't want to fly that far for a small event, and B. The different cultural identities might cause conflict if people from all over are coming. Trust me when I say Europeans aren't fans of Americans. People from America meeting in an American Kerbalcon would most likely result in more people coming and more people getting along, rather than one centralized location.

16 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

Speak for yerself, the only people I dislike slightly more than others are who doesn't resist their preconceptions.

Well I'm not European, but with my experience on forums and websites with comments I've seen my fair share of European-American clashes. My favorite goes like this.

American:

It's soccer not football

It's chips not crips

It's mom not mum

European in response:

It's school not shooting range.

Again, I may be generalizing. Nonetheless, it still would be better for the other reason: accessibility.

Edited by bncrock

3 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

It'd be better to have it right in the middle of wherever the most KSPers live. If most live in, say, Europe and North America, host Kerbalcon in Greenland or the Azores, because they're right between the two continents. That is to cut costs for the attendees.

Yeah, for the direct costs, but I personally don't have the money for a plane ticket and then a ride in a small plane, and then equipment for the trek across tundra.  For me, if it were to be that as opposed to New York City as a smaller one, I'd only need the gas money and 3 hours of my time to get there...

59 minutes ago, bncrock said:

Trust me when I say Europeans aren't fans of Americans.

Have you ever met someone from Europe?  Likely not.

55 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yeah, for the direct costs, but I personally don't have the money for a plane ticket and then a ride in a small plane, and then equipment for the trek across tundra.  For me, if it were to be that as opposed to New York City as a smaller one, I'd only need the gas money and 3 hours of my time to get there...

I can agree with this.

55 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Have you ever met someone from Europe?  Likely not.

If you had read my other comment you would know the answer to that. It's merely an observation.

Edited by bncrock

Just now, bncrock said:

I can agree with this.

If you had read my other comment you would know the answer to that. It's merely and observation.

I understand that, and I did read it.  I was just pointing out that it's pretty generalized.  All generalizations are false...including this one.

30 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I understand that, and I did read it.  I was just pointing out that it's pretty generalized.  All generalizations are false...including this one.

Then allow me to rephrase it.

I've noticed a less than common trend that among certain individuals of European decent that occasionally those individuals show spite towards stereotypical America due to a conflict in vocabulary and culture.

"I.E. Americans are fat gun-slinging pigs"

This does not include all individuals of European decent and is meant as a representation of a small demographic.

Better bby? <3

On 9 March 2016 at 11:55 PM, worir4 said:

I hope you're not expecting a posh guy with a bowler hat.  I am from the north....

Posh accent and bowler hats only come down here in the beautiful wimpish south...

but I'd better jump out the way before my humberside girlfriend whacks me with her tough northern exterior!

Also Europe is easy to set a convention any major city really cause of the great railways, Berlin probably is best (well Berlin, Munich, or Paris) the bigger issue with Europe is getting language translations for everything! Often easier just to do one in UK, one in France and one in Germany

In reality though, how many people are going to be willing to travel for more than a few hours in order to get to a kerbal convention? Personally there is no way I would go to one if it required me going to a different country, I doubt I would go if it was more than 4 hours away. 

On the forum we have the most dedicated of kerbal players, In reality most people that play Kerbal Space Program probably wouldn't show up so each convention location might end up with no more than a few people of these forums and if lucky some local kerbal players. I think the best way to do it would be some sort of online event so that it is easy to access for everyone.

10 hours ago, worir4 said:

In reality though, how many people are going to be willing to travel for more than a few hours in order to get to a kerbal convention? Personally there is no way I would go to one if it required me going to a different country, I doubt I would go if it was more than 4 hours away. 

On the forum we have the most dedicated of kerbal players, In reality most people that play Kerbal Space Program probably wouldn't show up so each convention location might end up with no more than a few people of these forums and if lucky some local kerbal players. I think the best way to do it would be some sort of online event so that it is easy to access for everyone.

I wouldn't be in a position to travel too far either, and I think as worir4 said that would apply to the majority.

Perhaps the most practical way is to do it informally.  When there is a space related event or exhibition on somewhere spread the word and arrange to meet up there.  If enough are interested in advance then it may be possible to arrange something  with the host/venue, otherwise just talk to each other before hand and meet up there casually.

• 1 month later...

I don't imagine many would pay th large airfares required for such a convention, particularly if it could not be included in another trip---in short, the destination would need to be worth it regardless of the event. That writes off most places proposed. It needs to be someplace a tourist would actually want to visit anyway. How about June in Italy (because I'll be there on vacation, anyway :wink: )? In the US, assuming Europe needs to be close, then it needs to be East coast. The obvious choice is Orlando to Cape Canaveral area. Disney, Universal, and a short drive to KSC. There are countless flights from anywhere in the US, as well as direct flight from Europe. Next would be DC, as there is the Air and Space Museum (and annex). Ditto on many flights from everywhere. No other destination makes much sense. The trouble of course is that those destinations tend to be expensive for facilities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.