[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

17 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I have no open issue regarding the Ranger docking port of the Ranger on gitHub.
I did remove the "control from here" on the docking port, fogot to put it in the change log (updated it now). There is no way to have two on one part. And if I make the Ranger docking port a separate part (as it used to be) then the EVA hatch becomes blocked due to the way KSP 1.1 operates.

That was indeed the issue i meant. I'll test your new release, see if it helped. otherwise,... maybe easier after all to have the ranger docking port as a separate part? 

1 minute ago, Denko666 said:

That was indeed the issue i meant. I'll test your new release, see if it helped. otherwise,... maybe easier after all to have the ranger docking port as a separate part? 

Um, as I mentioned, then the hatch does not work if you put the docking port over it as you could before. I'll put it on my list for next time to investigate further if there is any way around that.

8 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Um, as I mentioned, then the hatch does not work if you put the docking port over it as you could before. I'll put it on my list for next time to investigate further if there is any way around that.

Riiight,... i knew there was probably a good reason why it was built-in :)

3 hours ago, themaster401 said:

Also, the Lander pitches down dramatically when the throttle is pushed to maximum. The Ranger loses electric charge quickly, even with the generator on, in atmosphere.

If you are using FAR, make sure you also have MM installed.

10 hours ago, themaster401 said:

Hi, my biggest botheration with this mod is that I have to set almost every docking port to a custom action group. Is it possible that a button to detach could be added to the endurance docking port and ranger's menu? 

I'm not sure what you are asking for. The docking ports already have undock buttons in their part right click menu.

10 hours ago, themaster401 said:

<snip picture>

This happens when I detach either a Ranger or Lander...

<snip picture>

Camera is shaking and not in orbit view anymore, even though it still seems to be orbiting.

nice pictures.
EDIT: On further perusal are you asking for some support? or have a bug to report?
If so, Please follow the instructions in the OP. Require logs at a minimum.

Edited by JPLRepo

4 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

@JPLRepo Just a quick question, would it be a big hassle to reorganise the folder structure a bit ?

I mean moving the model/texture files into the Parts/Partname folder instead of the Assets folder ?

Yep.
Nope.
It is much more efficient to have them in one folder so they can share textures.

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Yep.
Nope.
It is much more efficient to have them in one folder so they can share textures.

Got it, any chance that you can easily see from your side, which files are needed for the ranger and lander only (including their docking ports and external offset docking nodes) , without all the rest ?

I tried to make a copy where i use only Ranger+Lander but i cant really figure out which files to keep, which ones to delete - trying to reduce my installs memory footprint by removing parts i don't use :D

5 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Got it, any chance that you can easily see from your side, which files are needed for the ranger and lander only (including their docking ports and external offset docking nodes) , without all the rest ?

I tried to make a copy where i use only Ranger+Lander but i cant really figure out which files to keep, which ones to delete - trying to reduce my installs memory footprint by removing parts i don't use :D

Yes just go into the config files for the parts you want to keep and take note of the textures they use in the MODEL nodes in their internal configs.
EG: for the Ranger you would want the Ranger.cfg, rangerEngine.cfg, Rangerinternal.cfg:

Spoiler

MODEL
    {
        model = Endurance/Assets/ranger_body        
        texture = rangerbody, Endurance/Assets/rangerbody
        texture = rangerwing, Endurance/Assets/rangerwing
        //scale = 1, 1, 1
    }
MODEL
    {
        model = Endurance/Assets/rangerEngine
        texture = rangerwing, Endurance/Assets/rangerwing
    }

MODEL
    {
        model = Endurance/Assets/ranger_internals
        texture = ranger_IVA_1, Endurance/Assets/ranger_IVA_1
        texture = ranger_IVA_2, Endurance/Assets/ranger_IVA_2
        texture = grey_1, Endurance/Assets/grey_1
        texture = black_1, Endurance/Assets/black_1
        texture = orange_1, Endurance/Assets/orange_1
    }

You need to keep all the files as per the model= and internal= parameters for the Ranger, and so on.

10 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Aah, right, missed it somehow

There are a lot of shared files, so you won't save a lot. Easiest approach is to just delete the config files for the parts you don't want and leave the assets folder there.

Just now, Jasseji said:

Hm, i dont really know how KSP is handling part loading, i always thought the assets are loaded into memory regardless if they have cfg's

yes they are... What I was saying is you won't really trim that much, removing the config files for the parts though means they won't appear in game.
Are you still playing 32 bit? otherwise, it won't save you a lot. but will save you the hassle of missing a file, etc.
Totally up to you.

10 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

yes they are... What I was saying is you won't really trim that much, removing the config files for the parts though means they won't appear in game.
Are you still playing 32 bit? otherwise, it won't save you a lot. but will save you the hassle of missing a file, etc.
Totally up to you.

64 but laptop and running a lot of mods, one part here, one there :D

Anyways, you told once that you are limited in working on the initial colony module, if you need any help in modelling, i can pick up where you left on some pieces

Just a small report here, RCS on the Viper needs to be balanced. It is nearly undockable as is. The ports on the nose are way too strong, and it is impossible to translate up while maintaining a specific orientation. It actually adds downwards velocity while trying to translate up. As a workaround, I just disabled its RCS and added my own ports, it works just fine that way. An integrated docking port or a node for attaching one would be awesome too, for the time being I stuck a Jr port in between the engines. I have found some other issues but they've all been mentioned, just thought I'd add this one since I haven't seen it discussed. Great mod overall, awesome models, keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Moezso said:

Just a small report here, RCS on the Viper needs to be balanced. It is nearly undockable as is. The ports on the nose are way too strong, and it is impossible to translate up while maintaining a specific orientation. It actually adds downwards velocity while trying to translate up. As a workaround, I just disabled its RCS and added my own ports, it works just fine that way. An integrated docking port or a node for attaching one would be awesome too, for the time being I stuck a Jr port in between the engines. I have found some other issues but they've all been mentioned, just thought I'd add this one since I haven't seen it discussed. Great mod overall, awesome models, keep up the good work!

Hmmm, Never had this problem, but then never docked the Viper, It's not really designed or intended for that.
that being said. Have you tried dialing down the RCS thrust power?
Go into GameData/Endurance/Parts/Mini_Ranger/miniRanger.cfg file with a text editor, find and change the highlighted value (a lower value means less thrust power), and report back:

Spoiler
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = RCS
thrusterPower = 0.7
resourceName = MonoPropellant
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 100
}
}

Edited by JPLRepo

On 7/6/2016 at 4:38 PM, JPLRepo said:

Hmmm, Never had this problem, but then never docked the Viper, It's not really designed or intended for that.
that being said. Have you tried dialing down the RCS thrust power?
Go into GameData/Endurance/Parts/Mini_Ranger/miniRanger.cfg file with a text editor, find and change the highlighted value (a lower value means less thrust power), and report back:

Reveal hidden contents
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = RCS
thrusterPower = 0.7
resourceName = MonoPropellant
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 100
}
}

Been busy but I've tested this with several thruster settings in the config, the issue seems to be that the downward facing RCS ports in the rear (there appears to be 4 of them) aren't firing at all. Changing thrust settings doesn't help, just makes the issue (and all other movements) happen at a slower rate.

23 minutes ago, Moezso said:

Been busy but I've tested this with several thruster settings in the config, the issue seems to be that the downward facing RCS ports in the rear (there appears to be 4 of them) aren't firing at all. Changing thrust settings doesn't help, just makes the issue (and all other movements) happen at a slower rate.

Ok well thanks for that info. I'll check it out over the weekend and see what I can find.

On 6/26/2016 at 0:49 PM, thomash said:

Regarding the Ranger and Lander Flipping on load...

I have the same problem.  If you are also using TCA (Throttle Controlled Avionics) that could be the cause.  For me it was turning on the engines at load.  That action coupled with the 50% default of the throttle caused my ships to lurch forward into a tumble.  I was also having a problem with any command pod that included retro rockets.  They would also fire up on the launch pad destroying the rocket.  I uninstalled TCA and it all went away.

Thing is that it's a seriously challenging mod to use, so I've had trouble figuring out why. I'll try to find a fix over at the TCA board.  

Ranger & Lander nose diving and flipping at load

The TCA author has also encountered the problem and is working on it.  

But for now, I have a workaround.  You cannot deactivate engines in the VAB or SRB, but you can deactivate fuel-flow.  Right-click the engine, and click the little green arrow to the red symbol.  The craft loads and the engine dry-fires.  You can then deactivate the engines(s) and then safely reactivate the fuel flow.  

For all those struggling with the Ranger Docking Port/Hatch Problem, as a temporary solution i suggest Nertea's Station Parts Expansion, which has a radial-attached docking port module which can be clipped on the top of the Ranger

8 hours ago, Jasseji said:

For all those struggling with the Ranger Docking Port/Hatch Problem, as a temporary solution i suggest Nertea's Station Parts Expansion, which has a radial-attached docking port module which can be clipped on the top of the Ranger

To What problem are you referring?

On 6/27/2016 at 1:41 PM, JPLRepo said:

To this