[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

1 hour ago, simcool2 said:

I built the lander exactly like im supposed to, but when I use only the vtol engines, the lander flips over while flying. Is it a glitch?

its really hard to balance these kind of craft. its gonna be empty or loaded to where you can barely get off the ground and in varying degrees of gravity etc... you could mess around with the thrust limiters on each of the engines if you want. 

so instead of trying to chase your tail go in the cfg file and up the sas reaction wheel and rcs thruster power till it holds it by itself.  that way it just works no matter what. 

action group the vtol motors so you can switch those off once you get some altitude. 

remember to put a small probe core on and action group it to control from here. that way the nav ball is oriented correctly for the vtol engines. so its on right if you control from here and the north pole on the navball is showing. 

Hi. I found a typo in one of your configurations file.

In GameData/Endurance/MiniAVC.xml , there's a value with "True", instead of "true", and this is raising exceptions on KSP.log:

[LOG 14:59:17.966] MiniAVC -> System.FormatException: True is not a valid boolean value
  at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToBoolean (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlCustomFormatter.FromXmlString (System.Xml.Serialization.TypeData type, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.GetValueFromXmlString (System.String value, System.Xml.Serialization.TypeData typeData, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadPrimitiveValue (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapElementInfo elem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadObjectElement (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapElementInfo elem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadMembers (System.Xml.Serialization.ClassMap map, System.Object ob, Boolean isValueList, Boolean readByOrder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadClassInstanceMembers (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, System.Object ob) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadClassInstance (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadObject (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadRoot (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping rootMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadRoot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 14:59:17.967] MiniAVC -> Executing: MiniAVC - 1.0.3.3
[LOG 14:59:17.967] MiniAVC -> Assembly: /Users/lisias/Applications/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Endurance/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 14:59:17.967] MiniAVC -> Starter was created.
[LOG 14:59:17.967] MiniAVC -> System.FormatException: True is not a valid boolean value
  at System.Xml.XmlConvert.ToBoolean (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlCustomFormatter.FromXmlString (System.Xml.Serialization.TypeData type, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.GetValueFromXmlString (System.String value, System.Xml.Serialization.TypeData typeData, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadPrimitiveValue (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapElementInfo elem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadObjectElement (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapElementInfo elem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadMembers (System.Xml.Serialization.ClassMap map, System.Object ob, Boolean isValueList, Boolean readByOrder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadClassInstanceMembers (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, System.Object ob) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadClassInstance (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadObject (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping typeMap, Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadRoot (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeMapping rootMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReaderInterpreter.ReadRoot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize (System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

On a side note, MiniAVC has a bug: a faulty configuration file on some Mod breaks the chain, and prevents the MiniAVC from working for the remaining ones!

As a workaround, I edited my local file but I would advise to fix it on the code repository.

Thanks.

Edited by Lisias

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also found some sort of conflict with CryoTanks. Whenever I use it alongside the mod, the Ranger aerospike engines and the Viper's integrated engines all somehow switch to using Liquid Hydrogen as their fuel. However, the Lander's engines remain the same. 

I tried editing the part files for the Ranger and Viper to switch their fuel to the Hydrogen, but now I get VERY little Delta-V.

• 1 month later...

@JPLRepoHello, I recently downloaded your mod, but I'm having troubles with loading it into the game, it looks like that KSP only loads the Lander, Ranger, Viper and all engines (including Endurance engines) but not the other Endurance parts, I tried to download the mod from various sites, didn't work. I'm using KSP v1.4.4 w/Making History. I've seen other people having trouble with this, but no answers nor help. Thank you in advance.

30 minutes ago, FatCatinTheHat said:

@JPLRepoHello, I recently downloaded your mod, but I'm having troubles with loading it into the game, it looks like that KSP only loads the Lander, Ranger, Viper and all engines (including Endurance engines) but not the other Endurance parts, I tried to download the mod from various sites, didn't work. I'm using KSP v1.4.4 w/Making History. I've seen other people having trouble with this, but no answers nor help. Thank you in advance.

Not all parts show up on the main parts tab. Try searching for it in the search bar.

59 minutes ago, FatCatinTheHat said:

I always find that using Filter Extensions is a must in such cases - it reads the part by folder and sorts it in "Manufacturers" filter.

Also, i remember that one time there were problems in Career, might try it in Sandbox first to see if they load

2 hours ago, Jasseji said:

I always find that using Filter Extensions is a must in such cases - it reads the part by folder and sorts it in "Manufacturers" filter.

Also, i remember that one time there were problems in Career, might try it in Sandbox first to see if they load

My mistake, I forgot I was playing on science save and didn't research the structural ring yet, thank you for reminding me of it! Best regards.

Sounds like potentially some of the part categories aren't quite right if you aren't seeing all the parts. They should appear in their appropriate categories.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:31 AM, space_powder said:

I think I found a bug, the Lander textures are way darker than shown in the imgur album, instead of being white, it's almost black-ish
On a side note, 1.4.5?

Not following.... they look fine to me in 1.4.5.
Which btw - this mod works fine in 1.4.5

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is concerning the Ranger's thrusters : VTOL mode, while working fine with just the ranger fuselage, is not achievable when equipping the Cooper engines. It moves the center of mass to the rear and makes the craft do a backflip when trying a VTOL takeoff or landing with full throttle. Even with maximum pitch to balance and RCS, it just can't be done. It clearly isn't supposed to act like that. I understand it is difficult to balance these crafts, but here you just can't takeoff, with minimum thrust, the instant you're off the ground, even full SAS and RCS can't save you. The problem is fixed by either in an editor, angling better the VTOL thrust, setting the engines mass to near 0 or moving the center of mass and lift further front.

Another bug I found, is that the landing gears of the Ranger have a weird behavior. While in the air or even on the ground, if you deploy the landing gears, the craft will start to spin like there is no tomorrow. Actually, the landing gears clearly are applying an external force : if you're on the ground with the craft upside down, deploy the gears and you'll start moving forward at around 10 m/s, creating the cleanest ground travel method. You're kept on the ground because the force isn't parallel to the craft but angled with the craft's axis.

I also found out that the Ranger's engines keep flaming out as others have already told you but not because of an intake air issue, but because they consume too much electric charge. It's a behavior I have never seen, but the Cooper engines consume more electricity the more thrust they produce, to the point when electricty generated by the craft (around 170Ec/s) is overcome by the consumption. When electric charge is then depleted, the right engine shutdowns (for some reason, it's always the right one) and the craft starts spinning as the other one still functions. Sometimes, both engines will keep working but you'll lose all SAS control and a lot of stability as all Ec is used by the engines working slower.

Hope it helps, I looove the Ranger. ^^

Edited by Quantum Jump

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @JPLRepo i was looking at the Contares mods and found something interesting in regards to the ranger docking port:

@hraban created docking ports which have an invisible animation, which allows the collider to disappear and makes a crew hatch located under the dock port to work:

The invisible collision body is deformed by means of animation and thus the "exit" through the hatch is made possible. So there is, as correctly observed, no visible animation.
Later created docking ports have a ring-shaped collision body consisting of 8 or even 12 parts.

maybe this would be possible for the Ranger Docking port ?

On 12/29/2018 at 5:51 PM, Quantum Jump said:

This is concerning the Ranger's thrusters : VTOL mode, while working fine with just the ranger fuselage, is not achievable when equipping the Cooper engines. It moves the center of mass to the rear and makes the craft do a backflip when trying a VTOL takeoff or landing with full throttle. Even with maximum pitch to balance and RCS, it just can't be done. It clearly isn't supposed to act like that. I understand it is difficult to balance these crafts, but here you just can't takeoff, with minimum thrust, the instant you're off the ground, even full SAS and RCS can't save you. The problem is fixed by either in an editor, angling better the VTOL thrust, setting the engines mass to near 0 or moving the center of mass and lift further front.

Another bug I found, is that the landing gears of the Ranger have a weird behavior. While in the air or even on the ground, if you deploy the landing gears, the craft will start to spin like there is no tomorrow. Actually, the landing gears clearly are applying an external force : if you're on the ground with the craft upside down, deploy the gears and you'll start moving forward at around 10 m/s, creating the cleanest ground travel method. You're kept on the ground because the force isn't parallel to the craft but angled with the craft's axis.

I also found out that the Ranger's engines keep flaming out as others have already told you but not because of an intake air issue, but because they consume too much electric charge. It's a behavior I have never seen, but the Cooper engines consume more electricity the more thrust they produce, to the point when electricty generated by the craft (around 170Ec/s) is overcome by the consumption. When electric charge is then depleted, the right engine shutdowns (for some reason, it's always the right one) and the craft starts spinning as the other one still functions. Sometimes, both engines will keep working but you'll lose all SAS control and a lot of stability as all Ec is used by the engines working slower.

i have added a tweak to the cfg itself:

CoLOffset = 0.0, -0.4, 0.0
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.4, 0.0

This helps with the VTOL

Edited by Jasseji

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, Quantum Jump said:

For the flame out problem, what i do is i put action groups to change the mode from air breathing to closed cycle right before the electricity goes out. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

something in the lsconfigs.cfg is crashing module manager. 

if i take that out everything runs fine. i'll have to put it back in to generate some logs for you. but there isnt really anything in the logs past telling you there are errors in the lsconfigs.cfg

you also get the popup saying module manager has crashed.