[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

Probably not what it was designed for, but when I made a 250km/s burn with a fully constructed Endurance the whole thing began heating up alarmingly to the extent that some attached parts were a few degrees from exploding; maybe radiators on the engine modules to cool the reactors would help? The same thing also happened to a Lander I tried to fly into orbit while carrying a freight module underneath, which had massive drag issues and barely broke the sound barrier before its core heat went too high; 1500K core but 3300K skin is a bit odd.

Re. launching the Rangers on a rocket, it might be possible to do so using a Making History (or Restock+) engine plate plus the separate Ranger mounts. It’s easier to just stick them all together and launch it in one go though, even in an upscaled system (Beyond Home but at JNSQ scale) I put the entire Endurance ring plus Rangers and Landers in orbit as a single unit, using the most inefficient right angled gravity ‘turn’ you’ll ever see to fight the monstrous drag- not even the NFLV 7.5m fairing can fit around it.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

26 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Probably not what it was designed for, but when I made a 250km/s burn with a fully constructed Endurance the whole thing began heating up alarmingly to the extent that some attached parts were a few degrees from exploding; maybe radiators on the engine modules to cool the reactors would help? The same thing also happened to a Lander I tried to fly into orbit while carrying a freight module underneath, which had massive drag issues and barely broke the sound barrier before its core heat went too high; 1500K core but 3300K skin is a bit odd.

Re. launching the Rangers on a rocket, it might be possible to do so using a Making History (or Restock+) engine plate plus the separate Ranger mounts. It’s easier to just stick them all together and launch it in one go though, even in an upscaled system (Beyond Home but at JNSQ scale) I put the entire Endurance ring plus Rangers and Landers in orbit as a single unit, using the most inefficient right angled gravity ‘turn’ you’ll ever see to fight the monstrous drag- not even the NFLV 7.5m fairing can fit around it.

Yeah I can't keep the reactor in the ranger from overheating when I added my own fusion pellets to start it up.

I think the reason that the Ranger VTOL engine doesn't work is because there's no storage for IntakeAtm- I haven't yet tried adding that to the config but I suspect that will cure that particular issue. The Ranger landing gear is broken in any case, the front legs just fall through the ground when fully deployed.

I also tried sticking some radiators into the engine module config but they seem to make very little difference- radiators running over 200% but the whole thing still heated up considerably.

But let's face it: flying the Endurance on an interstellar voyage with the music from Interstellar playing in-game (Astronomer's Music Pack has some in it) is going to take some beating!

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mod work with Interstellar Extended? These engines require ridiculous amounts of electricity where they just run out in a second for a ranger for example. Or am I doing something wrong? Also the aerodynamics are kinda funky with the ranger as well.

Edited by Kerbl101

On 12/11/2020 at 6:14 AM, Kerbl101 said:

Does this mod work with Interstellar Extended? These engines require ridiculous amounts of electricity where they just run out in a second for a ranger for example. Or am I doing something wrong? Also the aerodynamics are kinda funky with the ranger as well.

There seems to be a bug with B9 part switch that deletes the fusion pellets from the Ranger and Lander, so their reactors can’t produce the power needed to run the engines. One solution is to create a hacky patch to add an RRG-style always on generator to produce that power, and it’s what I did recently when using Endurance as an interstellar ship in the Beyond Home Space Race.

I can’t say anything about KSPIE compatibility though, I suspect that as Endurance is a standalone thing it won’t interfere too much with KSPIE or vice versa as they’re both adding discrete parts/systems/resources/etc.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
Stupid typo

12 hours ago, Kerbl101 said:

Concerning insane EC demand, I assume that you're using Kerbalism and WBI Classic Stock together. This is an unsavory combination and I highly discourage it. I have a report about this, and a solution, in the link below. As for why FusionPellets get removed (and not from all parts that hold them) see the quote and see the spoiler at the bottom of the linked post:

// Evidently, crewed parts get all resources other than ElectricCharge removed from them by the Kerbalism life support module switcher. This applies to anything provided by RESOURCE{}.

Endurance should work fine with KSPI (that is: they shouldn't interact and so shouldn't conflict with each other). Ranger's aerodynamics should be fine imo. There is a tiny change I could make to help it but it should be of no real consequence. Details are welcome.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Concerning insane EC demand, I assume that you're using Kerbalism and WBI Classic Stock together. This is an unsavory combination and I highly discourage it. I have a report about this, and a solution, in the link below. As for why FusionPellets get removed (and not from all parts that hold them) see the quote and see the spoiler at the bottom of the linked post:

Endurance should work fine with KSPI (that is: they shouldn't interact and so shouldn't conflict with each other). Ranger's aerodynamics should be fine imo. There is a tiny change I could make to help it but it should be of no real consequence. Details are welcome.

I have Classic Stock i believe but I don't have Kerbalism. I think the other dude got the hole in one though since the Ranger and Lander don't have the fusion pellets, most likely because of B9 Part Switch

14 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There seems to be a bug with B9 part switch that deletes the fusion pellets from the Ranger and Lander, so their reactors can’t produce the power needed to run the engines. One solution is to create a hanky patch to add an RRG-style always on generator to produce that power, and it’s what I did recently when using Endurance as an interstellar ship in the Beyond Home Space Race.

I can’t say anything about KSPIE compatibility though, I suspect that as Endurance is a standalone thing it won’t interfere too much with KSPIE or vice versa as they’re both adding discrete parts/systems/resources/etc.

Do you have the patch/what file should i edit? in Power2.cfg it already says the Ranger is supposed to have 50 pellets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 1:30 AM, timbrwolf1121 said:

Uhhh, yes please? @jimmymcgoochie

2 hours ago, Kerbl101 said:

That would be great

Unfortunately I don’t have access to that particular patch right now, but you can easily create your own:

@PART[part name of Ranger/lander/viper]

{

copy and paste the ModuleGenerator section from the stock RTG config here, then change the output to match what the reactor on each vessel outputs- Ranger and Lander are 1000EC/s, Viper a bit less

}

You’ll need to add the generator module to each part separately, but the part names and reactor EC output are in the parts’ config files so it’s pretty easy to do.

Hope that helps!

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

• 1 month later...

@editor99 Be sure to check that those crafts have their "Tokamak" power generator running, that they have FusionPellets on them, and that they have a radiator attached to them to prevent any modules weakening from overheating. That should be fixed but I don't think @JPLRepo has done a release since. I question whether he's around. He seems scarce.

If you're missing the FusionPellets resource, open GameData/Endurance/Patches/B9PS.cfg and delete this section right at the end: https://github.com/JPLRepo/Endurance/blob/master/Distribution/GameData/Endurance/Patches/B9PS.cfg#L310-L313

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@editor99 Be sure to check that those crafts have their "Tokamak" power generator running, that they have FusionPellets on them, and that they have a radiator attached to them to prevent any modules weakening from overheating. That should be fixed but I don't think @JPLRepo has done a release since. I question whether he's around. He seems scarce.

If you're missing the FusionPellets resource, open GameData/Endurance/Patches/B9PS.cfg and delete this section right at the end: https://github.com/JPLRepo/Endurance/blob/master/Distribution/GameData/Endurance/Patches/B9PS.cfg#L310-L313

Do I right click and select it?

On 2/17/2021 at 3:43 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I've been through the changes. Will look to get out an update sometime in the next week.

V1.13 published.

V1.13
* Added KSP 1.11 stock inventories.
* Fixed issues with Kerbalism:
  * FusionPellets don't appear on crewed parts.
  * Ranger VTOL engine guzzles ElectricCharge (due to install with incompatible WBI Classic Stock).
* Moved storage cuboid to Cargo category.

Many thanks to @JadeOfMaar for this update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm...

I used to use this mod all of the time when Interstellar was my favorite thing ever (still love it tho) but I seemed to have forgot about it. (don't ask why :P)

But here it is, all up-and-running for the newest version of KSP! Can I have a few reasons why this mod is still worth it? :/ Not to be mean or rude, I just want to see what you guys think of the mod, and why you like it. :) 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

@SpaceX_Boi I've made several contributions to this mod in the time that you've been away, so it's very much/ more worth it now than it was before.

* A new experiment to carry

Spoiler

The MB-30. It's (a squashed down freight box with stuff welded on :sticktongue: ) an all-in-one experiment suite (holds 7 stock experiments and the 4 sensor modules related to them) with its own fuel tank, fuel cell, RCS and drone capability (so it can attach itself to a Lander while in orbit, be well able to save on part count, produce science, and endure ;) the cost of transmitting a lot of science). I've also added and fixed attach nodes in the mount areas to accommodate it. (I have not broken anything. The other large boxes will still fit perfectly.)

It has some ability to allow you to spam it in a new star system and get lots of data while potentially saving part count.

441WaWS.jpg

* Engine and RCS plumes

Spoiler

sIiLUKq.jpg

z0VZLI2.jpg

* Compatibilty with the top life support mods (Kerbalism, Snacks, TAC, USI)

Spoiler

MilG4Qw.png

* Engines and reactors have better behaviors, performance and requirements, and Isp's are sufficient to allow Endurance to operate in large star systems and alongside mods that involve B9 Part Switch, LH2 fuel, fusion power and interstellar travel. The provision for LH2 makes it easier to refuel Endurance without trying to land it (or anything) to mine fuel.

* Built-in antennas should be much better (as far as reasonable for not having a visible large dish somewhere) than before.

* There's a new crew compartment to install on the ship ring. It's a medical bay purposed for Deep Freeze and radiation therapy (as in Kerbalism or Kerbal Health).

* The habitability assessment experiment is better when Wild Blue Tools is installed. It will only work at planets that are designed to potentially be new homeworlds for kerbalkind (not all planet packs that have these are supported) as it's meant to, like in the movie, so you can't cheat science out of it by running it at every planet that has atmosphere, but at planets where it does work, you'll need to spend time on the experiment, and you'll get a lot of science (orbital and landed).

There are several other little details. Try it out and find them. :)

55 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@SpaceX_Boi I've made several contributions to this mod in the time that you've been away, so it's very much/ more worth it now than it was before.

* A new experiment to carry

Reveal hidden contents

The MB-30. It's (a squashed down freight box with stuff welded on :sticktongue: ) an all-in-one experiment suite (holds 7 stock experiments and the 4 sensor modules related to them) with its own fuel tank, fuel cell, RCS and drone capability (so it can attach itself to a Lander while in orbit, be well able to save on part count, produce science, and endure ;) the cost of transmitting a lot of science). I've also added and fixed attach nodes in the mount areas to accommodate it. (I have not broken anything. The other large boxes will still fit perfectly.)

It has some ability to allow you to spam it in a new star system and get lots of data while potentially saving part count.

441WaWS.jpg

* Engine and RCS plumes

Reveal hidden contents

sIiLUKq.jpg

z0VZLI2.jpg

* Compatibilty with the top life support mods (Kerbalism, Snacks, TAC, USI)

Reveal hidden contents

MilG4Qw.png

* Engines and reactors have better behaviors, performance and requirements, and Isp's are sufficient to allow Endurance to operate in large star systems and alongside mods that involve B9 Part Switch, LH2 fuel, fusion power and interstellar travel. The provision for LH2 makes it easier to refuel Endurance without trying to land it (or anything) to mine fuel.

* Built-in antennas should be much better (as far as reasonable for not having a visible large dish somewhere) than before.

* There's a new crew compartment to install on the ship ring. It's a medical bay purposed for Deep Freeze and radiation therapy (as in Kerbalism or Kerbal Health).

* The habitability assessment experiment is better when Wild Blue Tools is installed. It will only work at planets that are designed to potentially be new homeworlds for kerbalkind (not all planet packs that have these are supported) as it's meant to, like in the movie, so you can't cheat science out of it by running it at every planet that has atmosphere, but at planets where it does work, you'll need to spend time on the experiment, and you'll get a lot of science (orbital and landed).

There are several other little details. Try it out and find them. :)

Wow, you're right! :o

Thanks! :D 

Hi :/ 

Tried the mod, got a few concerns:

• The Rangers are extremely aerodynamic, and easy to lose control with
  • When I was flying the Ranger, the camera was shaking uncontrollably

pls help :( 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

On 3/16/2021 at 9:34 PM, SpaceX_Boi said:

Tried the mod, got a few concerns:

• The Rangers are extremely aerodynamic, and easy to lose control with
  • When I was flying the Ranger, the camera was shaking uncontrollably

I assume you have the RCS thrust on. It is extremely powerful and you can easily flip due to that. Aside from that, Ranger's stability is rather fair as far as I know. If RCS is not turned on then I must assume your piloting skills are very rusty or very misinformed. JPLRepo fixed aerodynamics problems a long time ago. Camera shake is either due to difficulty settings (affecting your IVA view) or you're accelerating quite a lot and tumbling wildly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.