[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

On 3/19/2021 at 3:08 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I assume you have the RCS thrust on. It is extremely powerful and you can easily flip due to that. Aside from that, Ranger's stability is rather fair as far as I know. If RCS is not turned on then I must assume your piloting skills are very rusty or very misinformed. JPLRepo fixed aerodynamics problems a long time ago. Camera shake is either due to difficulty settings (affecting your IVA view) or you're accelerating quite a lot and tumbling wildly.

Yeah, my piloting skills were pretty bad :P

I got used to the Ranger, and now it's easy and fun to fly :) 

The shaking camera was probably a bug with the new update. ;) (P.S. Danny2462 had a similar bug happen, because the shaking camera wasn't the only problem - the game also thought I was landed while I was in the air, just like in the vid)

@JadeOfMaar

Hiya :)

Quick questions -

Why is LH2 better than liquid fuel, and how does it make refueling the Endurance easier? :P

Also, can the lander/ranger docking ports work with the stock docking ports? :/ 

P.S. thx 4 answering a lot of my questions :) 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi
Asked another question

14 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

@JadeOfMaar

Hiya :)

Quick questions -

Why is LH2 better than liquid fuel, and how does it make refueling the Endurance easier? :P

Also, can the lander/ranger docking ports work with the stock docking ports? :/ 

P.S. thx 4 answering a lot of my questions :) 

hi :D

LH2 is better because it's something that can be scooped from orbit so if you plan to get liberal with dV, you can bolt a particle collector from some mining mod onto the ship (though it will immediately get ugly) and visit any gas giant to refuel (in principle. I have or know mods for that. #ShamelessSelfPromotion). You completely remove the need to spend dV to bring heavy mining infrastructure that needs to be landed somewhere, but given the play style that Endurance endorses, you're going to be spending another magnitude of total time throughout your mission by waiting on the scoop to refill the tanks.

I believe Endurance's docking ports are compatible with the stock 1.25m docking port.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

hi :D

LH2 is better because it's something that can be scooped from orbit so if you plan to get liberal with dV, you can bolt a particle collector from some mining mod onto the ship (though it will immediately get ugly) and visit any gas giant to refuel (in principle. I have or know mods for that. #ShamelessSelfPromotion). You completely remove the need to spend dV to bring heavy mining infrastructure that needs to be landed somewhere, but given the play style that Endurance endorses, you're going to be spending another magnitude of total time throughout your mission by waiting on the scoop to refill the tanks.

I believe Endurance's docking ports are compatible with the stock 1.25m docking port.

OK, cool! :D

What kind of mods would allow me to scoop up LH2? :P

3 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

What kind of mods would allow me to scoop up LH2? :P

• Rational Resources (+ Parts) places LH2 everywhere necessary for a couple of planet packs already. The Parts bundle includes one small exosphere scoop and modifies a stock intake to be an atmospheric scoop (however, the atmo scoop is not very useful with Endurance in particular).
  • WBI Pathfinder (a fairly large mod, a base parts mod) includes some all-purpose scoops (from Mk0 ro 3.75m) but only the largest one works in space.
  • A mod I'm making, not released yet (Impulse Party), provides some exo scoops (from Mk1 ro 3.75m). All of these only work in space. I may allow them to work in atmosphere.

This list is surprisingly short...

• 2 weeks later...

@EndAllFilms I can't help you with what seems to be a very bad dll problem but I can give you these things to try:

• Make sure you're not trying to use the recent versions of this mod on very old KSP or very old versions of this mod on recent KSP.
  • Uninstall/Delete KSP. Re-download KSP (and re-download this mod) and install them.
  • Make sure you don't have RAM-heavy software like Discord or web browsers (especially with 1080p or higher res video) running. (Having KSP and a Twitch stream open will crash my GPU and my PC.)
  • See what happens.
  • If your situation is still bad, consider reinstalling your video driver, installing a slightly older version of KSP, or reinstalling your OS.
On 3/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, SpaceX_Boi said:

waterfall configs :P?

I've been working on some. They're practically complete now.

Hi there, this mod looks fantastic!

I have a quick question, is the latest version of this mod(1.13) compatible with KSP 1.8.1?  I wish to use this in RO environment, and my initial try-out found out that Ranger RCS is a little buggy in 1.8.1.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@mark7 This mod should be just fine in KSP 1.8.1.

The Ranger's RCS problem is due to its RCS thrust being super high. You'll have to use the RCS thrust limiter and turn it down most of the way.

Thx about it, I just tried doing so and it worked. However, the FX of the RCS on Ranger is still not displayed correctly, but on Lander it just worked fine. Only thing I have is the RCS sound when I press J to translate.

And also, the Ranger is quite unstable under FAR environment, I moved the center of lift backward so the pitch axis is stable, but the yaw axis is still all over the place. I wonder if this is a known issue, or am I doing things incorrectly?

13 minutes ago, mark7 said:

Thx about it, I just tried doing so and it worked. However, the FX of the RCS on Ranger is still not displayed correctly, but on Lander it just worked fine. Only thing I have is the RCS sound when I press J to translate.

And also, the Ranger is quite unstable under FAR environment, I moved the center of lift backward so the pitch axis is stable, but the yaw axis is still all over the place. I wonder if this is a known issue, or am I doing things incorrectly?

RCS FX is a known problem. I can't fix that. Watefall (from my learning exercise with it) is immune to that problem. RCS audio is weird as heck, too. I have no suggestions.

I don't think centers of lift have meaning in a FAR system (I don't use it myself, though I understand it enough that I can diagnose things). It would be interesting to know for sure if that works. Yaw instability is perfectly normal since you mention it. The Ranger doesn't have a vertical stabilizer that it can resist that, though, I recently read in the wiki that the Ranger uses air-breathing RCS, so it ought to do very well using that. (This is not applied in the release but I've made it so, in parallel with the existing plasma RCS for personal testing.)

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

RCS FX is a known problem. I can't fix that. Watefall (from my learning exercise with it) is immune to that problem. RCS audio is weird as heck, too. I have no suggestions.

I don't think centers of lift have meaning in a FAR system (I don't use it myself, though I understand it enough that I can diagnose things). It would be interesting to know for sure if that works. Yaw instability is perfectly normal since you mention it. The Ranger doesn't have a vertical stabilizer that it can resist that, though, I recently read in the wiki that the Ranger uses air-breathing RCS, so it ought to do very well using that. (This is not applied in the release but I've made it so, in parallel with the existing plasma RCS for personal testing.)

Okay, I understand, I will try using Real Plume FX to config the RCS to see if it works.

And the FAR patch is based on a very dated version I made back in the KSP 1.2.2 days,  it did stable the pitch axis a lot, but for the Ranger to fly aerodynamically I still have to add fins to control the yaw axis, and use Atmosphere Autopilot to improve the stability.

Thx for your time~

7 hours ago, mark7 said:

Okay, I understand, I will try using Real Plume FX to config the RCS to see if it works.

Applying the RP config seems to solve the problem……Though it is now the standard RCS instead of the cool "hotFlashFume"

On 4/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, SpaceX_Boi said:

Looks sick!! :D 

indeed, sicky-slick.

I did reduce the RCS Thrust for the rangers by a lot in the configs or otherwise it was a hell to control but i am still missing any RCS plumes on it - what RP configs were you guys talking about ?

I would like to suggest adding a 'control from' selector to the Ranger, in this case directly aft. This would make docking a lot easier, atm I stick another docking port on top of the Ranger port and use 'control from here'. This does help but is not quite there, as the Ranger ports and the Endurance Ranger ports are at an angle, therefore it's less than intuitive to dock. I'm not even sure there is a perfect solution to it tbh

8 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

I would like to suggest adding a 'control from' selector to the Ranger, in this case directly aft. This would make docking a lot easier, atm I stick another docking port on top of the Ranger port and use 'control from here'. This does help but is not quite there, as the Ranger ports and the Endurance Ranger ports are at an angle, therefore it's less than intuitive to dock. I'm not even sure there is a perfect solution to it tbh

tbh there is no good solution for that, putting a docking port on the node in the back blocks the Crew Hatch so that's not a good way.

Actually i've put a flat docking port to the bottom of the Ranger and use it with other ships as the angled docking was too annoying

On 4/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, mark7 said:

Applying the RP config seems to solve the problem……Though it is now the standard RCS instead of the cool "hotFlashFume"

hey sorry but what config do you refer to ? i have RP and the Endurance but still am missing any RCS on the Ranger

11 hours ago, Cdodders said:

11 hours ago, Jasseji said:

tbh there is no good solution for that, putting a docking port on the node in the back blocks the Crew Hatch so that's not a good way.

I can make that happen. If my plan is correct, I can easily get the exact angle of the Ranger's hatch for the control point toggle. After that, you'll want to grab this mod to cure the blockage problem.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:18 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I can make that happen. If my plan is correct, I can easily get the exact angle of the Ranger's hatch for the control point toggle. After that, you'll want to grab this mod to cure the blockage problem.

Is it possible maybe to make the transform of the docking node angled on the RangerDock Part ? so the alignment isnt displayed perpendicular to the ports but at an angle, hence DPAI and dockingcam would show the alingment by being proper despite the Pitch being at 30Deg ?
I dont know if that question is clear, i can draw later what i mean (or i'll Discord you when you have the Time)

I'm having an odd issue with this mod, all the vessels have no fuel internally, no way to regenerate EC like it used to and even the endurance fuel cells have zero fuel just EC.  Tried this with zero other mods, still the case.  Is there something I'm missing?