[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

36 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

To this

So there is an issue? My post was about the fact that you can't have two control from here points. For now you cannot 'control from here' on the rear port. This is not a bug. It's a stock limitation. But other than that The docking port works. This is low priority.

Edited by JPLRepo

Sorry, i have a 1000 things on my head and i'm not communicating my thoughts clearly :D

What i mean is, for those who need "Control From Here" on the docking port, you need to place the Ranger Docking Port on that node, but it will then block the exit hatch, so as a workaround, Nertea's Station Parts Expansion has a Radially Placed Crew Hatch which can be placed on top of the Ranger to allow EVA

5 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Sorry, i have a 1000 things on my head and i'm not communicating my thoughts clearly :D

What i mean is, for those who need "Control From Here" on the docking port, you need to place the Ranger Docking Port on that node, but it will then block the exit hatch, so as a workaround, Nertea's Station Parts Expansion has a Radially Placed Crew Hatch which can be placed on top of the Ranger to allow EVA

https://github.com/JPLRepo/Endurance/issues/13

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with the Ranger... I take off and switch to the cooper engines and when they spool up the electric charge runs out and the craft is screwed.

Is there a power generator or solar cells I am missing somewhere?

21 minutes ago, NeoMorph said:

I'm having a problem with the Ranger... I take off and switch to the cooper engines and when they spool up the electric charge runs out and the craft is screwed.

Is there a power generator or solar cells I am missing somewhere?

It has a built in generator, and in the last version I re-balanced it all very nicely. So I would suggest you have something else going on causing your problem.
What mods are you playing with? Can you supply a log please as per the OP instructions.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

It has a built in generator, and in the last version I re-balanced it all very nicely. So I would suggest you have something else going on causing your problem.
What mods are you playing with? Can you supply a log please as per the OP instructions.

Figured it out... I was hitting 100% which flattened the generator... reduced throttle and took it up at a 30 degree angle and no flat battery and got to orbit with no problem. Next problem... not blowing up during re-entry... Got too used to my mini shuttle heh.

Great pics Denko.  Excellent idea for the OUV tug.  Where ya plannin' on goin' when yer done? 

TCA & Endurance -  Allista has released and update that solves the auto engine activation at loading causing your craft to tumble forward and nosedive.  I was able to lift off my Lander, have it follow a series of waypoints and land gently at the final point. 

On 27/08/2016 at 0:01 PM, RocketSquid said:

I assume based on the recent, happy replies that this works just fine in 1.1.3?

The silence is probably your best answer. No one has started compaining... :confused::sticktongue:
Yes it works just fine. There is just an issue with the landing legs being a bit wonky. Hope 1.2 will allow me to address that issue.

Edited by JPLRepo

• 3 weeks later...

Now that KSP 1.2 Prerelease is out, PLEASE do not expect mods to be updated quickly.  
Prerelease is for the purpose of further debugging, and gives us modders an opportunity to see the new code and work with it.  
Since prerelease is typically a moving target, I will not be releasing any "official" release of my mods until KSP goes Full 1.2 Release itself.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I do not have the free time to be continually updating and releasing while 1.2 is still a moving target.

Lander

I'm also having a problem with the Lander when I throttle the main engines.  When I active them, the craft pitches forward.  So I looked at the center of thrust in the hangar and...

3ihxoZo.jpg

The thrust direction of the main engine thrust looks to be -15 degrees or so.  This seems to vary with throttle settings

Vertical engines work fine.

Ranger

As others have, I am also experiencing instability with Ranger.  On takeoff everything is good until about 25 km when the air engines start to fade at which point the the Ranger yaws hard to the right.  I get around this by keeping the throttle at 1/3 and by manually switching engine modes  at 20 km or so.  Once you get up into the thin atmosphere you can throttle up.  Still babying the Ranger into space doesn't seem to be consistent with the film. 

Edited by thomash
correction

• 2 weeks later...

* Sorry bad english *

Hello, nice to see this mod revived. I don't play with it since the original author abandoned it so today I'm trying it out for the first time.

Unfortunately I'm having some issues that have already been commented by other people here. The Ranger battery is drained very, very fast. I have to set a very low thrust to be able to fly it for a long period of time, but can't make an orbit.

Problems with Lander too. It tends to point down, so I'm also unable to fly it at full thrust. By the way, the model seen from the back is not very accurate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/84gwubajmugnxux/LanderComparation.png?dl=0 (the KSP screenshot is not deformed, Landers engines are actually modeled with egg shape... I suppose that by mistake)

Tested with no other mods (just ModuleManager.2.6.25).

Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiksctaut167e2z/KSP.log?dl=0

Also, something that I always wanted to propose: Ranger engines should not work like RAPIER engines. As the Interstellar wiki says (http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Ranger), the Ranger has electric air jets (powered by twin miniaturized tokamak fusion reactors) wich enables the Ranger to propel itself through a planetary atmosphere. When there's no atmosphere, it uses chemical rockets which exhaust is ionized into plasma and magnetically accelerated to very high velocities.

So, basically, could you make the Cooper engines to consume no fuel and not needing oxygen when in air breathing mode? and also delete the particle effects, as air jets obviously don't produce flames.

Edited by vistaero

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2016 at 5:24 AM, thomash said:

Lander

I'm also having a problem with the Lander when I throttle the main engines.  When I active them, the craft pitches forward.  So I looked at the center of thrust in the hangar and...

3ihxoZo.jpg

The thrust direction of the main engine thrust looks to be -15 degrees or so.  This seems to vary with throttle settings

Vertical engines work fine.

Ranger

As others have, I am also experiencing instability with Ranger.  On takeoff everything is good until about 25 km when the air engines start to fade at which point the the Ranger yaws hard to the right.  I get around this by keeping the throttle at 1/3 and by manually switching engine modes  at 20 km or so.  Once you get up into the thin atmosphere you can throttle up.  Still babying the Ranger into space doesn't seem to be consistent with the film. 

That thrust vector looks correct to me... you do have the VTOL engines on. So the thrust vector takes into account ALL engines. Take the VTOLs off and it will move.

I've been playing around in 1.2, and it seems that everything is fine except for the ranger landing gears. The 'deploy landing gear' is gone from the ui when I click on it. Other than that, everything works fine. I really loved the movie Interstellar, and this is one of my favorite mods! Thanks for continuously updating the mod.

On 27/10/2016 at 0:08 AM, JPLRepo said:

That thrust vector looks correct to me... you do have the VTOL engines on. So the thrust vector takes into account ALL engines. Take the VTOLs off and it will move.

I don't want to sound rude but, why don't you try it for yourself? I also mentioned that problem in my comment. But don't worry, I have recorded this video for you: 

On 29/10/2016 at 1:44 AM, vistaero said:

I don't want to sound rude but, why don't you try it for yourself? I also mentioned that problem in my comment. But don't worry, I have recorded this video for you: 

But you do sound rude...
I have tried it for myself.. and I know the Ranger and Lander need re-balance.
The reason for this is that moduleliftingbody was broken and now in KSP 1.2 it's been fixed again.
But my response was to trying to explain to you why the thrust vector points downwards. It's including the VTOL engines.
So both the Ranger body and Lander body need to be rebalanced there is no doubt.
Unfortunately, that takes time. If anyone else has the time to rebalance them, by all means go right ahead and submit a Pull Request on Github.
Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually.
Here is what the thrust vector looks like without the VTOL engines attached:

Spoiler

q6zJnZF.png

The problem is not that at all.. It's the fact that the CoM, CoL are not optimally positioned.

Edited by JPLRepo

That thrust vector looks correct to me... you do have the VTOL engines on. So the thrust vector takes into account ALL engines. Take the VTOLs off and it will move.

Ah-ha!  I see.  I think.  If you can give me a short paragraph description on how to rebalance the engines, I'll be glad to give it a shot.  thx.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

But you do sound rude...
I have tried it for myself.. and I know the Ranger and Lander need re-balance.
The reason for this is that moduleliftingbody was broken and now in KSP 1.2 it's been fixed again.
But my response was to trying to explain to you why the thrust vector points downwards. It's including the VTOL engines.
So both the Ranger body and Lander body need to be rebalanced there is no doubt.
Unfortunately, that takes time. If anyone else has the time to rebalance them, by all means go right ahead and submit a Pull Request on Github.
Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually.

Hey man considering how much we've paid to contract you to make this you have to deliver resu- Oh wait yeah you're doing this for free with no obligation to anyone.