[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

7 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Challenge accepted!
so i changes these lines in to landerbody confing

and added fins to the back of the lander, and heres how it flew

<snip>

Thanks for taking the time. I'll see if I can find some time. I'm thinking @swjr-swis suggestion might be something we need. (gimbal engines)

9 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Challenge accepted!
so i changes these lines in to landerbody confing

and added fins to the back of the lander, and heres how it flew

That's the best I've seen it fly yet, even through max-Q. Nice work.

Have you tried that configuration with some payload underneath? I seem to be the only one looking for that use case, so no biggie if you haven't, but I'm curious.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I'll see if I can find some time. I'm thinking @swjr-swis suggestion might be something we need. (gimbal engines)

While I appreciate you considering the suggestion, it appears everyone else is content with having it just drop cargo and return to orbit empty. That should be possible without changing anything to the engines, which would take less of your time and most people would have something they are happy with. 'My' use cases can wait for a next iteration, whenever, or I may even be able to use the fin solution. Go for the low-hanging fruit! :)

(If you are are still considering it anyway: keep in mind that in @Space Kadet's solution the CoL moves an extra bit backwards because of the added control surfaces. It may still be necessary to add that extra offset to the CoL for stability even if the control authority comes from gimbal.)

26 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

While I appreciate you considering the suggestion, it appears everyone else is content with having it just drop cargo and return to orbit empty. That should be possible without changing anything to the engines, which would take less of your time and most people would have something they are happy with. 'My' use cases can wait for a next iteration, whenever, or I may even be able to use the fin solution. Go for the low-hanging fruit! :)

(If you are are still considering it anyway: keep in mind that in @Space Kadet's solution the CoL moves an extra bit backwards because of the added control surfaces. It may still be necessary to add that extra offset to the CoL for stability even if the control authority comes from gimbal.)

I just tried it and it is very close... needs some minor adjustments.(of course not changed the model to actually move the nozzles, just added the partmodule).

[edit] of course FAR will completely change the atmospheric flight characteristics again.. and probably won't fly in that configuration at all.

5 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Have you tried that configuration with some payload underneath? I seem to be the only one looking for that use case, so no biggie if you haven't, but I'm curious.

Not yet, but yesterday was the first time ive tried this mod, and im still trying to finnish up my series in 1.2.2

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I just tried it and it is very close... needs some minor adjustments.(of course not changed the model to actually move the nozzles, just added the partmodule).

[edit] of course FAR will completely change the atmospheric flight characteristics again.. and probably won't fly in that configuration at all.

At some point i need to try FAR, but i still have horrible flashbacks from when if failed to stop me on reentry and i exploaded at 5000ms........

On 6/4/2017 at 2:30 AM, swjr-swis said:

i have now, its tricky and you need more of an aggressive ascent but here's the whole video takeoff to orbit and return (hyperedit cheat just pulling the orbit round) but its difficult with eh box but doable and lending is fairly easy (im a crap pilot) 

the main points are keep the vtol thrusters on through max q then kill, then when it starts to pitch forward reduce to 1/3 power and landing is slow and very gentle with the vtol, i added legs because any thumps that are a bit hard pop engines.

30 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

Just thinking about this, i agree vectoring engines would be cool, but i think this is a good way for it to fly, you wouldent expect it to be easy dragging a square box.....

If you want to try you can just add this to the Lander.cfg it gives you the gimbal (without the animations on the engines).

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 5
	}

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

If you want to try you can just add this to the Lander.cfg it gives you the gimbal (without the animations on the engines).

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 5
	}

Thanks, ill give this a shot.

I will test this as soon as i get out of this bloomin finnish language course! 

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

hi @JPLRepo

i love the mod! great work! second i would like to ask if there is a possibility to add a craft file for us lazy people out there. if you could do that that would be amazing!! thanks allready for this amazing mod!!

There's a link in the OP for pre-assembled vessels.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88993700/EnduranceCraftFiles.zip

I haven't tested them with 1.3.0 but anyone could do that and report back. :sticktongue:

This mod is so nice, the ship looks amazing and the IVAs look fantastic. I love the landers, the whole thing is really well made and is just super cool :-)

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, JPLRepo said:

There's a link in the OP for pre-assembled vessels.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88993700/EnduranceCraftFiles.zip

I haven't tested them with 1.3.0 but anyone could do that and report back. :sticktongue:

That link is dead now but there is this on kerbalx and it works fine in 1.3

https://kerbalx.com/AESA/The-Endurance

Edited by beta546

19 hours ago, beta546 said:

This mod is so nice, the ship looks amazing and the IVAs look fantastic. I love the landers, the whole thing is really well made and is just super cool :-)

That link is dead now but there is this on kerbalx and it works fine in 1.3

https://kerbalx.com/AESA/The-Endurance

@bjornadri
Hmm sorry about that. Try this one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1b1stbcs8tw2tq/EnduranceCraftFiles.zip?dl=0

On 7/13/2017 at 9:59 AM, frencrs said:

Here's some screenshots of the RCS thrust vector. The Starboard/Aft leg's Fore-most inboard thruster.

OH wow.... thanks for finding that.
That would explain the rolling of the Lander. (Adds this to the list to fix).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, ozzyboi123 said:

when i install the mod it doesnt come with the ships and endurance pre built? it used to

Wow that is some lazy posting :-D I mean, it was literally the post before yours lol

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

V1.5 published - balancing and fixing the Lander.
Giant thanks to @frencrs for finding the out of line RCS thruster and others who contributed to CoM and CoL adjustments.

Thank youuuu. Will test the lander the moment I get home :-)

On 26 July 2017 at 1:00 AM, ozzyboi123 said:

when i install the mod it doesnt come with the ships and endurance pre built? it used to

The latest version contains a zip inside it of the craft files assembled

Awesome Mod!

Can you Fix or add the ability to have the rear docking Ranger Docking Port on the Ranger selectable separate from the Ranger Body?

As is the dock cannot be independently selected to set "Control from Here" for any Docking procedures and MechJeb Auto Dock won't work with it the way its setup...

May leave the dock port OFF like on the Lander so we can add ourselves.

This should make it selectable!

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Awesome Mod!

Can you Fix or add the ability to have the rear docking Ranger Docking Port on the Ranger selectable separate from the Ranger Body?

As is the dock cannot be independently selected to set "Control from Here" for any Docking procedures and MechJeb Auto Dock won't work with it the way its setup...

May leave the dock port OFF like on the Lander so we can add ourselves.

This should make it selectable!

Thanks!!!

No.  Been raised and discussed before. You cannot have it seperate. Otherwise there isn't hatch. 

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Also do we have to reinstall the whole Mod or can we just add the new Lander?

No as there is more than one file changed.

Ok Got it.

How about Saved Games?

I have the Endurance Ring Built and In Kerbin Orbit with Landers and Rangers attached...

Will I have to rebuild them in the VAB and Relaunch via a new game or will the new update overwrite everything in my current game state?

Thanks Again!