[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

Okay, fixed the craft files. The Viper doesn't bounce around all over the place on takeoff and land (I had to learn about KSP landing gear settings). And it was @Phers who wanted the craft files and whoever else, I have them ready! (That sentence totaly made sense)

Edited by skylon7

24 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

got interesting question that might have been asked but just in case not,  Is this RSS/RO/RP0 compatible?   For thoughts of us who wish to be sick in the head and do this in a real solar system... just wondering

This mod is a parts pack - so yes... will it be usable - not really because it won't have enough fuel, etc.
I have a Module Manager config file that I'm about half way through setting up that will modify the parts to be RSS/RO compatible.
RP-0 - that's a different story though. so no, but then they will still work, just probably come up as RP-0 unspported.

3 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

This mod is a parts pack - so yes... will it be usable - not really because it won't have enough fuel, etc.
I have a Module Manager config file that I'm about half way through setting up that will modify the parts to be RSS/RO compatible.
RP-0 - that's a different story though. so no, but then they will still work, just probably come up as RP-0 unspported.

That's totally awsome.   Thank you for the awsome mod btw.  Can't wait for that to be done.   

FlvCeKX.png I've found that thanks to the very efficient engines, I'm able to create reasonably sized interplanetary ships with a low part count. This vessel can go anywhere within the solar system. A trip to Eeloo and back left me with a half full fuel tank in a previous launch.

Edited by Wolfdog

On 14/05/2016 at 7:09 PM, JPLRepo said:

Is that with FAR installed or not?

Sorry, I just realised that I've been quoted. No, I do not have FAR installed. About the docking port, it just stopped spamming errors. Must have been a conflict with another mod.

13 hours ago, skylon7 said:

Hey, just messing around with the mod and I was wondering, why does the ranger have only liquid fuel, and not oxidizer like the lander or endurance?

You need to switch the engine modes on the engine nozzles, usually through action keys, and turn off the air intake on the main body 

4 minutes ago, shaboi said:

You need to switch the engine modes on the engine nozzles, usually through action keys, and turn off the air intake on the main body 

I don't think that was the question. The question was why does the Ranger only have liquid fuel whilst the lander and endurance use liquid fuel and oxidizer. (and they all use EC as well)
The Ranger's build in VTOL engine uses Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. The "cooper" engine that goes on the back of the Ranger however does not.
In Air mode it is configured to use LiquidFuel IntakeAir and ElectricCharge. In Closed mode it is configured to use LiquidFuel and ElectricCharge. Why is this? I have no idea, an oversight by the original author? or that's the way he wanted it. So the question is do people think the "Cooper" should use LiquidFuel, Oxidizer and ElectricCharge in Closed mode? I can make the necessary changes.

Just makes more sense for the ranger to use oxidizer too. It gets kinda annoying hauling extra oxidizer around on the endurance with not nearly enough liquid fuel to burn it. And another thing, seems kinda OP for a generator that produces more ec output than engine input...

Edit: Also, in the movie the ranger can take off of a planet 130% the size of the earth (millers planet). Assuming the ranger's capabilities in the mod was based off of kerbin being like earth, it seems like it should have a teensy bit more liquid fuel, because when I take off of kerbin, go into a low orbit (100,000 -120,000 m) and land back onto the ground, my tank is almost empty.

I'm not asking for drastic changes, the mod is pretty great as-is. Just think these couple things would help optimize what it would be like in Interstellar.

Edited by skylon7

About that Ranger's fuel thing, I've googled for some infos about it and came up with this. Seems like the Ranger's engines are much different from those of Lander's, as they ionise the conventional rocket exhaust into plasma and accelerate it with magnetic force. Also Ranger will generate a lot of electricity for quite a long time with two tokamak fusion reactors built into the craft. So if the mod's goal is to recreate the crafts from the movie as close as we can, it should probably stay this way.

Sounds like it should stay the way it is. It also needs electrical air RCS thrusters... Not sure how they work, I assume only in atmosphere. And it sounds like it needs four DeepFreeze Cryopods.

9 hours ago, Greythorn032 said:

About that Ranger's fuel thing, I've googled for some infos about it and came up with this. Seems like the Ranger's engines are much different from those of Lander's, as they ionise the conventional rocket exhaust into plasma and accelerate it with magnetic force. Also Ranger will generate a lot of electricity for quite a long time with two tokamak fusion reactors built into the craft. So if the mod's goal is to recreate the crafts from the movie as close as we can, it should probably stay this way.

Oh, cool! Glad you found that! I guess benjee knew what he was doing :P Thanks for answering that, clears things up.

Edit: I kept reading and noticed where the Vipers come into play. Man, these people turned interstellarinto a reality, noticing every little detail... I luv wikia!

Edited by skylon7

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the MB-50 Mobile Analysis Lab, when I deploy legs the whole lab rotates 90deg Up/Down.

Jmj39Go

It's not showing the picture in the preview and this is my first post, maybe. Love the work done so far, thank you for continuing this awesome mod!

6 hours ago, Shepelepsy said:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the MB-50 Mobile Analysis Lab, when I deploy legs the whole lab rotates 90deg Up/Down.

Jmj39Go

It's not showing the picture in the preview and this is my first post, maybe. Love the work done so far, thank you for continuing this awesome mod!

Does that happen in the atmosphere or outside of it? Or maybe on the ground? If it freaks out on the ground that's probably not a problem for this particular mod. The whole landing gear mechanics are quite messed up for now, so you might want to wait patiently until Squad releases another fix for this.

On 2016. 5. 24. at 5:37 AM, skylon7 said:

Oh, cool! Glad you found that! I guess benjee knew what he was doing :P Thanks for answering that, clears things up.

Edit: I kept reading and noticed where the Vipers come into play. Man, these people turned interstellarinto a reality, noticing every little detail... I luv wikia!

Pretty much everything is described in that page, but I still can't get how it initially ignites the fuel and generates exhaust. Still good to have a source to confirm some things :)

Edited by Greythorn032

Please make the Lazurus missions habitation pod and can you please fix the control of the Lander ….. oh ya one more thing is it ok if you make the Ranger just coloured orange because to match the colour of the Lazrus pod please….   but Great mod i love it :)

Edited by LochanLightning

Anyone who has this mod installed via CKAN is advised to uninstall it, delete the "Endurance" folder from GameData, and then reinstall. There have been some significant changes to the metadata including the removal of the dependency on Habitat Plugin. If you are not using Habitat Plugin for any other mods, you can uninstall it, too.

@Greythorn032 hmmm.it didn't do that when I tested it, but it doesn't surprise me as landing legs are bugged in 1.1.2. I can only suggest don't extend them and you should be ok.  Hopefully 1.1.3 might give us more leg fixes. Otherwise I'll put it on my list and maybe disable them for now until there is a fix

Edited by JPLRepo

Hey JPL!

Should the Ranger docking port be working? i can't get it to connect. I tried Ranger to Ranger Docking Port and Ranger Docking Port to Ranger Docking Port. But in all cases they seemed dead as a dodo.

Thanks for keeping this Mod alive!

28 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

Hey JPL!

Should the Ranger docking port be working? i can't get it to connect. I tried Ranger to Ranger Docking Port and Ranger Docking Port to Ranger Docking Port. But in all cases they seemed dead as a dodo.

Thanks for keeping this Mod alive!

Yes it should be and it doesn't matter what docking port you use they are all the same and should connect same as the stock docking port. Is this in craft construction or actual flight docking? Is anyone else having problems with the docking ports?

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Yes it should be and it doesn't matter what docking port you use they are all the same and should connect same as the stock docking port. Is this in craft construction or actual flight docking? Is anyone else having problems with the docking ports?

It's in flight, in the editor it works as expected.

3 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

It's in flight, in the editor it works as expected.

Hmm. I'll test it out when I get a chance. Probably later in the week. Very busy this week with real work. In the meantime curious to know if others are also having issues

Edited by JPLRepo

Just tried out the docking ports on the ground with wheels on them. They simply don't want to couple once detatched, and attaching an additional docking port on the Ranger's one won't help.

Edited by Greythorn032

1 hour ago, Greythorn032 said:

Just tried out the docking ports on the ground with wheels on them. It simply doesn't want to couple once detatched, and attaching an additional docking port on the Ranger's docking port won't help.

So its not just me... Me happy.

But... so sorry JPL. Those ranger docking ports are hexed i tell ya! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.