[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

31 minutes ago, Der_Geraet_named_Jeb said:

I'm begging you. Please make your Mod compatible with 1.2.2 so we can use it together with the Kargantua Mod by Artyomka15. That would be GREAT.

If someone gets it to work with 1.2.2, please let me know.

This is the zip for v1.3 which worked in 1.2.2. It is linked in the thread history but here it is again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6ok01pynb20vzf/Endurance_V1.3.0.0.zip?dl=0

On 1/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, Kilo60 said:

Anyone else have problems with "UP" RCS Thrust with the Viper?

163315CFE961D8BB7763EE54EA3AA99ABD0B57F2

96BBCB1747C0AE8570501F54E7172BAC76EA9C44

It only has two downward pointing RCS thrusters at the front bottom and when they fire the upper pointing RSC thrusters try to keep attitude (nose from rising) alignment which only pushes you further downward...

Impossible to dock like this...

A set of rear bottom downward pointing RCS Thrusters would probably fix this.

Can this be fixed as I love this little craft!

refer to the example craft files zip. It wasn't designed for docking.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, JPLRepo said:

refer to the example craft files zip. It wasn't designed for docking.

I got that...

Can the RCS thrusters be fixed at least?

Just need some downward pointing RCs thrusters added..

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

@Kilo60 The Viper is not an Orbital craft, it is designed as High-Altitude Atmospheric Scout, no Docking capability, the RCS Thrusters are only there for Attitude Control

@Helltrooper509 propably but a loooong time ago, most special mods seem not to be on CKAN as it is an additional upkeep for the author

@JPLRepo i noticed, in the latest Spacedock downloads there arent any craft files included anymore, there is a zip file in the main package but it contains Assets, Parts and Plugins folder

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:24 AM, Jasseji said:

@Kilo60 The Viper is not an Orbital craft, it is designed as High-Altitude Atmospheric Scout, no Docking capability, the RCS Thrusters are only there for Attitude Control

@Helltrooper509 propably but a loooong time ago, most special mods seem not to be on CKAN as it is an additional upkeep for the author

@JPLRepo i noticed, in the latest Spacedock downloads there arent any craft files included anymore, there is a zip file in the main package but it contains Assets, Parts and Plugins folder

Got it!

However...

It's impossible to use the Viper as a H-AAS due to no VTOL engines or landing skids...!

The craft slides on the ground and explodes before it can get airborne....

That's why I expected it to be a non-atmospheric orbit only craft, hence docking RCS capability...

Can landing skids at least be added?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the mod, dude. It is pretty great, and accurate, too! My only gripe with it is that I get a TON of lag and stuttering when using the Lander, especially when I'm trying to dock it with the Endurance ring, which is already in LKO. Can you please make it less laggy? I'm not having any lag at all with the Rangers and the Endurance itself (with only the Rangers, no Landers attached), though. Other than that, the whole mod is awesome! Thanks for making it a reality!

Side note: I usually get ~25 FPS while piloting the Endurance without the Landers attached, only the Rangers. However, when I approach it while inside a Lander, my FPS drops down to about 15. Then, once I dock it, my FPS reaches 13-11. However, if I have 2 Landers docked with the Endurance, my FPS just drops to the ground. The game itself isn't playable at all.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, L0NE_PH4NT0M said:

Thank you so much, man. I'm excited to see a lag-less Lander soon. :)

Not likely sorry. I meant actual bugs. Lag - is probably due to the number of mods and the specs of your machine... as I experience no lag on my machine.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:04 AM, Kilo60 said:

I got that...

Can the RCS thrusters be fixed at least?

Just need some downward pointing RCs thrusters added..

Thanks!

They don't need fixing. They aren't broken. As stated before the Viper is not designed for docking.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:25 PM, Helltrooper509 said:

Wasnt this MOD on the CKAN?? Would be cool if it was again. thx for all the work you do.

Maybe you didn't read the opening post where it says this:
Whilst I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that can't use Zip tools. I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining the CKAN mod metadata for my mods.
Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

19 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Not likely sorry. I meant actual bugs. Lag - is probably due to the number of mods and the specs of your machine... as I experience no lag on my machine.

Welp I guess I'll have to uninstall even MORE mods, lol. Anyways, thanks still for continuing the mod!

On 19/02/2018 at 2:56 PM, Jasseji said:

put wheels on it...

It is flat enough to be sit on its belly if you go quietly in retrograde and pitch down at the right moment, or add parachutes just on the sides of the canopy (align them with CoM).

For take off you can attach it to a stability enhancer pointing slightly upwards about 30 degrees.  This craft can do a Kerbin-Minmus flight. To land on Minmus, do as you wold aith an SSTO space plane, point retrograde, slow down and pitch down slowly at the last moment. The craft can "glide" on its way back into the atmosphere, control your descent with pitch angle and RCS.  Use added parachutes for landing. 

BTW, is it by design or because of a bug, the Landers appears somewhat blackened, not completely black, hull details are still visible but they appear dark greyish instead of the original white. It is also doing it on my 1.3.1 version. Nevermind, I saw the same on someone's pictures. It looks nice that way, makes it less monotonous.

Also the Habitat assessement unit is not working when I put in on the ship an orange message says it "cannot implement". The module appears and I can put it on the ship, but that is all.

For those who have difficulties controlling the Landers on take off, their aerodynamics is crap because of their shape, that's why, aerodynamic forces push it into a spin. There is a sweet angle of ascent however, difficult to maintain but it works, use fine tuned controls (CAPS LOCK) to avoid maneuvering too harshly.

For those who have enough cash in carrier mode, you can built the Endurance completely on the ground and launch it with four Saturn V-ish attached to it (1.4.1) put a Saturn V first stage with eight Mastodon Engines instead of four, and put a Rhino as a second stage engine. Attach the second stages to the Crew/Command modules, autostrut everything but not the same way (Endurance parts to the Ring, rocket second stages to the modules and first stages to the second stages or you'll have rapid unscheduled disassembly happening).  If everything goes well, the second stages will still hav some Delta-V after circularization to take the Endurance somewhere before spending its own fuel ! My ship was loaded with lots of experiments in the Rangers/Landers and cargo modules inventories and has 15 Kerbals on board at launch. Yes the aerodynamics is kinda bad, but it works. Don't forget to put stability enhancers on the boosters, or their structure will collpase under the weight on the launchpad.

You could be tempted to build a refueler ship for the second stage boosters to save Endurance fuel for later...  somewhat overkill I know, but still. I bet the fully refueled second stages could give you at least half of the velocity to go to Jool.

Trivia: I find the Endurance Deep Space Engines to be good Asteroid pushers. Way better than nuclear engines. One engine surely eights over 10 tons, but has much better ratio than a nuclear engine for about the same consumption. So instead of puting lots of NERVs, I put only two EDSEs and you save a lot of weight on launch and money as well. However, you must esure you have enough electric charge, big solar panels (at least Gigantors or Near Future tech big solar panels) and of course, radiators, or your ship will overheat (or run out of power)

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ozzyboi123 said:

is there a way to get the craft files so i dont have to build the endurance from scratch?

They should be included in the mod download as a zip. Or, there is a download link in the opening post.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe diggin for some blasts from the past and repo strikes again having this available for 1.4.x

once i added in USI getting these two errors on the lsconfigs with MM

[ERR 13:08:26.936] [ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Endurance/Parts/LSConfigs/@PART[ENhabEndurance]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[Endurance]:BEFORE[USILifeSupport]

[ERR 13:08:26.937] [ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: Endurance/Parts/LSConfigs/@PART[ENdeployableHabitat]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[Endurance]:BEFORE[USILifeSupport]

Edited by COL.R.Neville