[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

For starters, this mod is awesome, thanks for keeping it up. The only complaint I have is that the Endurance ring doesn't have docking ports on the outside. Some of us are crazy enough to try to dock with a spinning, broken Endurance, so that would be great if there was a docking port on the outer edge of the ring to explode.

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

For starters, this mod is awesome, thanks for keeping it up. The only complaint I have is that the Endurance ring doesn't have docking ports on the outside. Some of us are crazy enough to try to dock with a spinning, broken Endurance, so that would be great if there was a docking port on the outer edge of the ring to explode.

Sorry but are you asking for a docking port? or  a part connect node? to be added to the outside of the ring? and you want it to explode?
I'm not going to add a built in docking port to the ring... I 'might' consider adding a part connect node/s. But it would be an alternative config (not standard)  people can add if they want. 
As for exploding parts... That's another mod. Try KIS explosives.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Sorry but are you asking for a docking port? or  a part connect node? to be added to the outside of the ring? and you want it to explode?
I'm not going to add a built in docking port to the ring... I 'might' consider adding a part connect node/s. But it would be an alternative config (not standard)  people can add if they want. 
As for exploding parts... That's another mod. Try KIS explosives.

In the movie, there are 4 docking ports on the outside of the ring. I don't want them to be explosive any more than other parts are, but yes, I'm asking that you consider adding them for the sake of accuracy. If you've seen the movie, my motives should be clear. I just want to simulate a particular plot event involving an explosion, which can be induced just fine with a simple impact.

Picture showing layout of the Endurance, note the airlocks on the ring by the fuel assemblies: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/interstellarfilm/images/a/a4/Interstellar-spaceships-ENDURANCE.jpg/revision/latest/thumbnail-down/width/340/height/340?cb=20141108235419

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to go watch the movie. It's a really good movie too.

51 minutes ago, cubinator said:

In the movie, there are 4 docking ports on the outside of the ring. I don't want them to be explosive any more than other parts are, but yes, I'm asking that you consider adding them for the sake of accuracy. If you've seen the movie, my motives should be clear. I just want to simulate a particular plot event involving an explosion, which can be induced just fine with a simple impact.

Picture showing layout of the Endurance, note the airlocks on the ring by the fuel assemblies: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/interstellarfilm/images/a/a4/Interstellar-spaceships-ENDURANCE.jpg/revision/latest/thumbnail-down/width/340/height/340?cb=20141108235419

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to go watch the movie. It's a really good movie too.

40 minutes ago, Table said:

Cubinator's right, there are 4 airlocks (docking ports) on the ring you should add them mate :)

I've seen the movie at least 3 times...:huh: I see what you mean now,. Generally I haven't paid that much attention to them or in the movie where Dr Mann was actually trying to dock to.. I had always assumed it was somewhere on the centre ring where the Rangers go. It's very hard to find a half-decent reference shot.
Even on the models used in the movie.. I'll look into changing the ring model to include them.. but the docking ports would remain separate parts (endurance docking port).  

6 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I've seen the movie at least 3 times...:huh: I see what you mean now,. Generally I haven't paid that much attention to them or in the movie where Dr Mann was actually trying to dock to.. I had always assumed it was somewhere on the centre ring where the Rangers go. It's very hard to find a half-decent reference shot.
Even on the models used in the movie.. I'll look into changing the ring model to include them.. but the docking ports would remain separate parts (endurance docking port).  

The scene in question 

Dr. Mann does indeed try to dock with a docking port on the outside of the ring between 2 modules. Then blows it up because he doesn't know about the changes in docking procedures. The explosion puts the Endurance in a spin along its central axis. Leaving the forward and rear docking ports the only two viable options for Cooper to dock to with the lander. And  that is IF he can match the spin while docking. 

It had been a long time since last i was so nailed to my seat in suspense as with that scene. 

JPLRepo, maybe add connection nodes in the ring and "just" add a docking node part that can be attached there like the pods do? 

6 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

The scene in question 

<snip snip>

Dr. Mann does indeed try to dock with a docking port on the outside of the ring between 2 modules. Then blows it up because he doesn't know about the changes in docking procedures. The explosion puts the Endurance in a spin along its central axis. Leaving the forward and rear docking ports the only two viable options for Cooper to dock to with the lander. And  that is IF he can match the spin while docking. 

It had been a long time since last i was so nailed to my seat in suspense as with that scene. 

JPLRepo, maybe add connection nodes in the ring and "just" add a docking node part that can be attached there like the pods do? 

Thanks for that. Hadn't noticed it before. Took a look earlier at some references. I think there are two options. 1) add the docking nodule onto the main ring as one part and you can attach the existing docking ports, or 2) as you suggested. Have a new part that can attach to the outside of the ring, kinda like a big docking port part.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks for that. Hadn't noticed it before. Took a look earlier at some references. I think there are two options. 1) add the docking nodule onto the main ring as one part and you can attach the existing docking ports, or 2) as you suggested. Have a new part that can attach to the outside of the ring, kinda like a big docking port part.

Look at this schematic: latest?cb=20141108235419

Seems like the Ring Airlocks are built on top of the small junction points. These are already present in the model, they only need an attachment node. And the model for the airlock looks like its something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sp9a0hx5fg9pcr/Ring Airlock model.png?dl=0Ring%20Airlock%20model.png?dl=0

STL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4epl9whneykjf5r/Ring%20Airlock%20model.stl?dl=0

10 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks. Yeah, I tend to be particularly nitpicky in movies (although the first time I was 110% suspended). But if you look at the Endurance when it breaks you can see that when Mann opens the docking port, the Ranger impacts the fuel assembly causing it to explode. I understand that the actual docking port part would have to be attached separately, that's perfect.

I hope this mod will be  very similar to the one in the movie :)

BTW are there internals for the command module yet?

BTW, I would love actual plasma engine sounds, maybe almost like the sound NASA's ion engine, maybe you could incorporate that?

6 minutes ago, Table said:

I hope this mod will be  very similar to the one in the movie :)

That is a subjective question. I would suggest you download it and decide for yourself. :P

7 minutes ago, Table said:

BTW are there internals for the command module yet?

Yes

7 minutes ago, Table said:

BTW, I would love actual plasma engine sounds, maybe almost like the sound NASA's ion engine, maybe you could incorporate that?

Probably and it is do-able. But most likely post KSP 1.1. If anyone can source the sounds that would help.

Hey man, thank you so much for re-uploading this mod as it was one of my favorites. I always remembered the time when I first docked my ranger to the endurance and boosted for jool, unfortunately I was not so efficient and the endurance crashed into jool xD. Thanks again!

@cubinator @Denko666 @Table Working on the outer docking node part as requested.
It will be a separate docking node part that will attach to four points on the Endurance Ring (therefore optional).
PICS:

Spoiler

VrL6NLD.png

b4DClhu.png

(and yes I am aware a couple of normals are reversed)... I'll fix it over the weekend and try to get an update ready and out.

Oh and the next version will have new emissives, flame and smoke trails for most of the engines...
Spoiler pics:

Spoiler

djMEPrb.png

YfA4hIU.png

Edited by JPLRepo

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

@cubinator @Denko666 @Table Working on the outer docking node part as requested.
It will be a separate docking node part that will attach to four points on the Endurance Ring (therefore optional).
PICS:

Hide contents

(and yes I am aware a couple of normals are reversed)... I'll fix it over the weekend and try to get an update ready and out.

Oh and the next version will have new emissives, flame and smoke trails for most of the engines...
Spoiler pics:

Hide contents

Very cool JPLRepo... i like the emissives. Very Hollywood :)

new emissives, flame and smoke trails!!! Nice to hear! cant wait for the update.

is it just me or did the Lander get a bit of a  performance update in one of the last updates? I feel like it has less SAS torque, slightly less dv and thrust too. But it might be just me, because I flew some stock landers alot lately maybe.

cheers

Daf

@Dafni No the lander engines have not been changed since v0.91.

Update on the Outside Endurance ring docking port:
I'm trying to decide the best idea here... I have a docking node part as per the pictures I posted above.. but.....
As it is not Angled, to match the Ranger, docking for the Ranger is very awkward. 
I know the part I have is not really like the original in the movie... but it makes the most sense to allow enough clearance for docking. See pics on current docking port with ranger attached as well as what the one in the movie looked like. I'm not thinking of trying to replicate the original one, simply for the clearance reason.
I am wondering if perhaps a second docking port that is angled for the Ranger is a better option?
Looking for input?

Spoiler

and yes... the docking node is magically attached to the cupola on the ring... I'll be changing that once I have this new part sorted.
rFF2uz8.png

wZcSqWH.png

citOL21.png

and this is what the one in the model from the movie looked like for reference:
AS5M6h7.png

On 3/22/2016 at 7:19 PM, JPLRepo said:

That is a subjective question. I would suggest you download it and decide for yourself. :P

Yes

Probably and it is do-able. But most likely post KSP 1.1. If anyone can source the sounds that would help.

Can it be non interstellar? B/c I can't find any sounds for the plasma engines from the movie, how about just find some sounds of other plasma engines?

2 hours ago, Table said:

Can it be non interstellar? B/c I can't find any sounds for the plasma engines from the movie, how about just find some sounds of other plasma engines?

see what you can find... Can't be copyright material either.

ok so i have an issue with this mod and mechjeb... so i construct the Endurance and launch it into orbit then i make the lander and use a stock docking port and when i launch it into orbit and rendezvous with the endurance i use mechjeb auto pilot but for some reason the docking autopilot has no window!!! COMPLETELY BLANK... no text at all... and when i switch to another ship the window opens normally with the text... also i should mention this now i AM using the 64 bit "workaround" on windows... so i dont know if that is what is causing this or mechjeb or your mod so any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Here is the output log if needed!

https://mega.nz/#!hxhCmZYI!RDaWsHfn9nQyZzyUEO6g4oNLuw554f4-bta5k2L1Y9Y

14 minutes ago, Thorman said:

ok so i have an issue with this mod and mechjeb... so i construct the Endurance and launch it into orbit then i make the lander and use a stock docking port and when i launch it into orbit and rendezvous with the endurance i use mechjeb auto pilot but for some reason the docking autopilot has no window!!! COMPLETELY BLANK... no text at all... and when i switch to another ship the window opens normally with the text... also i should mention this now i AM using the 64 bit "workaround" on windows... so i dont know if that is what is causing this or mechjeb or your mod so any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Here is the output log if needed!

https://mega.nz/#!hxhCmZYI!RDaWsHfn9nQyZzyUEO6g4oNLuw554f4-bta5k2L1Y9Y

You log file is full of null reference errors, no doubt related to 64 bit workarounds... like this:

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.ShowHideMasterWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) RUIToggleButton/OnDisable:invoke_void__this__ ()

at RUIToggleButton.SetFalse (Boolean makeCall) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RUIToggleButton.SetStateFromLastState (Boolean makeCall) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RUIToggleButton.MouseInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DispatchInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I doubt it is this mod causing your isssues. Sorry but I don't support 64 bit workarounds.

Edited by JPLRepo