[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

• 2 weeks later...

out of curiosity, how is this different than Porkjet's hab restrictor module?

Also, what all do the plugins do - do you know off hand if they at least load in 1.2.1 (not asking for an update, quite the opposite in fact)? I'm not at the right computer at the moment to test. My guess is at least the hab restrictor does.

What I'm getting at is I'm thinking of making some patches to update it, but if the plugins are broken, not much I can do (except strip the modules I guess).

MODULE
	{
		name = ENdeployableHabRestrictor
		animationName = inflate
		crewCapacityDeployed = 10
		crewCapacityRetracted = 0
	}

//MODULE
  //{
  //	name = deployableHabRestrictor
  //	animationName = deploy
  //	crewCapacityDeployed = 4
  //	crewCapacityRetracted = 0
//}

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

out of curiosity, how is this different than Porkjet's hab restrictor module?

Also, what all do the plugins do - do you know off hand if they at least load in 1.2.1 (not asking for an update, quite the opposite in fact)? I'm not at the right computer at the moment to test. My guess is at least the hab restrictor does.

What I'm getting at is I'm thinking of making some patches to update it, but if the plugins are broken, not much I can do (except strip the modules I guess).

MODULE
	{
		name = ENdeployableHabRestrictor
		animationName = inflate
		crewCapacityDeployed = 10
		crewCapacityRetracted = 0
	}

//MODULE
  //{
  //	name = deployableHabRestrictor
  //	animationName = deploy
  //	crewCapacityDeployed = 4
  //	crewCapacityRetracted = 0
//}

There is a Develop branch in github with modules that work in 1.2.1.

The other issues around the Ranger and Lander are the main thing that needs to be addressed before I can release an update for 1.2.1. but unfortunately I am struggling to find the time to do this balancing work as it is long, laborious, tedius and I had not a lot of success when I last tried a few weeks ago.
If anyone is willing and able to assist in fixing the Ranger and Lander CoM, CoL balance drop me a PM.

7 minutes ago, Dafni said:

If you do anything on this, could you please try to get the Lander back into its usual proportions. I have to admit that squashed distorted Lander from the previous update looks kinda wrong.

Nope I won't be. Too much work.

If you want to do let me know I can give you the model files.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Nope I won't be. Too much work.

If you want to do let me know I can give you the model files.

Too bad.

Man, I would if I could, but I have no idea about these kind of things. I am just a KSP player.

Maybe somebody else will come forward???

36 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Too bad.

Man, I would if I could, but I have no idea about these kind of things. I am just a KSP player.

Maybe somebody else will come forward???

Sorry don't get me wrong.. I'd love to do it. but I don't see myself getting the time to do it any time soon.
The problem is I had to resize it in order to get the kerbals to actually fit inside for the transparent pods... if you then adjust the proportions back to what they were and fit the kerbals the model is very very large. In fact way too large compared to say the Endurance ring. I'll put it on my list, as it's not hard to do, just time consuming.
If someone else wants to volunteer drop me a PM

Edited by JPLRepo

2 hours ago, NemesisBosseret said:

Just a dumb thought,  but you could just enlarge the ring,   it appeared too small anyways.    or segment it so It has to be constructed in space once enlarged.    if you compare the original model to a kerbal there is no way they would ever fit inside any of it.       just my opinion tho

That discussion was had some time ago several times in both this thread and the original thread. (Breaking up the ring).
The kerbals do fit inside the ring. If it's bigger it will be too big for the VAB and launchpad...

Maybe but not as intended.       if it was segmental and bigger and to "scale "    (there is the hanger extension mod and it works)  then it would not only be easier to get into space (kerbal planetary bases mod has an interesting approach to this) but would make sense.    segments would fit in the vab and I think that would fix ur dilemma ,     only trick would be getting the segments to merge in space with rcs(built in rcs and fuel) and building it(flat docking rings? Or permanent built in attachment points).    should be able to fit into a fairing too.       again just an idea,    one I thought of long ago back in 1.0.2 and 1.0.4     going up to ksp 1.0.5 I believe or the unity 5 switch caused issues with the Collison meshes which that would of negated.    I believe there originally was a problem with the middle space being open.     

http://i.imgur.com/HWQ6eOw.png

Scale representation 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/4d/7b/ae4d7b34b6a131e81407c22eefb2411f.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1507265_10201965492938652_6119080973893129480_o.jpg

Segment idea

Even from a Hollywood standpoint it looks very segmental ,  like it was built piece by piece in orbit over multiple trips with multiple docking points on each segment... probably would only have to add three  or four parts to the part count added by the mod.    part count for the ship might be up around 55 to 75.    but for late game deep space...    pretty sure all of us are running ships upwards of 250 or more on the part count lol.         I just think it would of been way easier to go about it this way instead of like a port over from the movie.    love this mod tho hope you get it all to work again

1 hour ago, NemesisBosseret said:

http://i.imgur.com/HWQ6eOw.png

Scale representation 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/4d/7b/ae4d7b34b6a131e81407c22eefb2411f.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1507265_10201965492938652_6119080973893129480_o.jpg

Segment idea

Even from a Hollywood standpoint it looks very segmental ,  like it was built piece by piece in orbit over multiple trips with multiple docking points on each segment... probably would only have to add three  or four parts to the part count added by the mod.    part count for the ship might be up around 55 to 75.    but for late game deep space...    pretty sure all of us are running ships upwards of 250 or more on the part count lol.         I just think it would of been way easier to go about it this way instead of like a port over from the movie.    love this mod tho hope you get it all to work again

Are you volunteering your time to re-do the models?

• 2 weeks later...

I do know how to model a bit (I used to make lots of stuff for Blitz Sonic 3D on google sketchup, I rigged and fixed textures on FRAGmotion 'O'), and I can do some excellent textures.
After 15 or 16 on December, I think I'll have a LOT of time to spare XD, I'll let you know and help you anyway I can.
On July this year, I was using photogrametry on some objects from Interstellar :3 (almost all ships were actual miniatures and full size props on the movie), I didn't got the best 3D models, but the textures where very nice.
The surface of almost all ships on Interstellar are very similar to the actual space shuttles from 1986-2016 as you can see below @h@
The 3D models for the RANGER and the "MINI_RANGER" are very nice already :3 , I just think that the other models are quite strange (you said that the Lander was having some problems with windows and IVA sizes ;o;), but the polygon count on the Endurance modules are overly heavy, and the textures are quite not "Kerbal" enough, and also not "Interstellar" tho, they are a strange of mix between them. I could try making some new texture files if that helps :3

HI-DEF pics like this one, even with fish-eyes lens are good for photogrametry/texturing
9568h.jpg

iss015e22574.jpg

I think that the best thing I can do could be texturing, and maybe re-make the Endurance modules into a lower poly-count and better textures, for a nicer finish on them.

4 hours ago, NemesisBosseret said:

@sonicfelipemt help @JPLRepo make the model full scale lol and segmental! lol     if you can that would be totally friken awsome ,     if I knew how to help I totally would but I'm clueless on the complexities of ksp modding beyond config files

The Interstellar ships do look like "miniatures" in KSP. I'll try to get some real life shots/size scales for Interstellar.
If we make the models bigger, I think that the LANDER size would fit the Kerbals, as far as I know, the actual model right now is stretched to larger sizes in the vertical axis to fit the Kerbal's BIG FAT HEADS in it! (X o X)
Update: I went through a LOT of websites trying to explain how to mod KSP and... IT'S BASICALLY HELL. Harder than HL1 and 2, harder than Blitz Sonic 3D, harder than GTA SA and GTA V, it's just... very hard, at least for newcomers on the game engine...
 @JPLRepo should have been paid in gold for his determination, wow!

For now, I'll try to mod them textures a bit, or create new ones that fit the "Interstellar feeling" a bit more.

I'm also trying to learn how to actually create those assets, models, objects, etc for KSP.
BTW I found this site: http://endurance.interstellarmovie.net/
It's an official "tour" on the Endurance, the X coordinates even fit the old saying "The Endurance has 64 meters in diameter" X w X , I'll figure out the ships scales using pixel-accurate measuring later. BUUUUUUT I think that they'll bee WAY too big to fit the VAB (vehicle assemble building) in KSP...
I also found a LOT of charts saying that the Endurance is 64 meters in diameter, and on the wiki they say that it's 64 meters between any 2 opposite external inline docking ports, so, we got a correct measuring at least.
And I've never used any forum or anything like this, so I'll just wait until  @JPLRepo tells me what I can do/where I can contact him @h@'
I'm kinda lost, it's just way TOO MANY STUF to do! Nhyuuuuurgh! Ç w Ç

Update: I made a little test, as for KSP 1.2, you can only fit 50 meters wide structures on the VAB.
We would need some VAB mods for at least 80-100 "free" meters in diameter for objects to fit for at LEAST construct the entire 64m Endurance.
Kerbin is about 10 times smaller than Earth, the gas atmosphere goes on about 64km, on Earth that'd be like 500-640km?
The rockets power/thrust are O.K., but we have 10 times less fuel... Air pressure, drag and other stuff are still the same on KSP, I think (Kerbin's density is 10 times higher that Earth's, the atmosphere has the same density, but it's 10 times smaller - BUT reentry speeds are the same, that's quite buggy, it means that: the ships should have the same speed/velocity as they would have on Earth, that's why we need the same thrust power, but only 10% of the fuel... I think ;-; )
There's this basic idea I had: the KSP Endurance should have the same 64 meters size.
The MK3 Cockpit is about 4.2 meters in diameter. That's half similar to Nasa's actual space shuttles, I even have a mod that adds hull/fuselage/rcs stuff to the stock parts (Cormorant Aeronology 1.2). They are HALF the size... In order to fit the MK3 cockpit.
There are other mods that make the KSP solar system FULL SIZE like ours, then the ships are scaled 2 TIMES BIGGER, but the Kerbals don't scale with those ships, they are tinny next to them (close to human sizes maybe?).
THE SHIPS HAVE HALF SIZES on stock KSP and Cormorant Aeronology 1.2, we only need 10 times more fuel and DOUBLE the sizes if we used Real Solar System mods... the thrust powers are the same still, right?

That means: the Endurance SHOULD be 64 meters in diameter. Then the Kerbals should fit nicely on the IVAs and stuff, I don't know yet surely...
ANYWAYS, I just made this chart to make stuff easier:
http://imgur.com/kBNnHye

http://imgur.com/XIhVC5y

http://imgur.com/88Cqu4t

Ok, now I'll wait for   @JPLRepo   to tell me what he wants to do Ç o Ç

2 hours ago, sonicfelipemt said:

The Interstellar ships do look like "miniatures" in KSP. I'll try to get some real life shots/size scales for Interstellar.
If we make the models bigger, I think that the LANDER size would fit the Kerbals, as far as I know, the actual model right now is stretched to larger sizes in the vertical axis to fit the Kerbal's BIG FAT HEADS in it! (X o X)
Update: I went through a LOT of websites trying to explain how to mod KSP and... IT'S BASICALLY HELL. Harder than HL1 and 2, harder than Blitz Sonic 3D, harder than GTA SA and GTA V, it's just... very hard, at least for newcomers on the game engine...
 @JPLRepo should have been paid in gold for his determination, wow!

For now, I'll try to mod them textures a bit, or create new ones that fit the "Interstellar feeling" a bit more.

I'm also trying to learn how to actually create those assets, models, objects, etc for KSP.
BTW I found this site: http://endurance.interstellarmovie.net/
It's an official "tour" on the Endurance, the X coordinates even fit the old saying "The Endurance has 64 meters in diameter" X w X , I'll figure out the ships scales using pixel-accurate measuring later. BUUUUUUT I think that they'll bee WAY too big to fit the VAB (vehicle assemble building) in KSP...
I also found a LOT of charts saying that the Endurance is 64 meters in diameter, and on the wiki they say that it's 64 meters between any 2 opposite external inline docking ports, so, we got a correct measuring at least.
And I've never used any forum or anything like this, so I'll just wait until  @JPLRepo tells me what I can do/where I can contact him @h@'
I'm kinda lost, it's just way TOO MANY STUF to do! Nhyuuuuurgh! Ç w Ç

Welcome to actually understanding the mostly unappreciated world of modding KSP. 

The number one priority right now is getting the Ranger and Lander to actually fly straight and balanced fuel-wise etc so that a 1.2+ version can be released.

remodelling , retexturing , re-doing lander legs etc are secondary priority after that.

I have 3 people who have volunteered to help on priority one. But as they have found out it is a long time consuming process.

19 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Welcome to actually understanding the mostly unappreciated world of modding KSP. 

The number one priority right now is getting the Ranger and Lander to actually fly straight and balanced fuel-wise etc so that a 1.2+ version can be released.

remodelling , retexturing , re-doing lander legs etc are secondary priority after that.

I have 3 people who have volunteered to help on priority one. But as they have found out it is a long time consuming process.

Hmmmm, I understand... well, if you give me them tools, them config files, I can start working with them as much as I can and give you the best results possible! @w@'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.