JPLRepo

[1.8.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.10) 20th Oct 2019

Recommended Posts

love this mod, thanks for bringing it back! but is anyone else having issues with the Cooper engine? one of the two engines always seems to run out of intake air pretty quickly after takeoff. i tried adding some extra intakes, but that just delayed the inevitable. i can't remember this happening in the last version, but i could be wrong. i basically have to switch the coopers to closedCycle before i even make it to 10km. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

Thank you for this mod. Does anyone know a good way to launch the Endurance?

What i do is build a station first then build the endurance in space, using Extraplanetary Launchpad.

2 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

The Ranger is also insanely hard to get into orbit. I did it many times with the 1.0.5 version, with fuel to spare, but now I can't no matter how hard I try - I always run out of fuel.

You may want to try Throttle Controlled Avionics mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

What i do is build a station first then build the endurance in space, using Extraplanetary Launchpad.

You may want to try Throttle Controlled Avionics mod.

@dresoccer4 is having the same problem as I am. This is what stops me from reaching orbit. I am quite confident with my piloting skills, but thanks for suggesting the mod anyway. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greythorn032 said:

I feel really bad to say this right after the update, but the Lander looks vertically stretched. Was this intentional to fit the IVA in the craft?

Yes. None of the IVAs fit.. or rather the kerbals didn't fit. they were not scaled for kerbals.

5 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

An annoying thing I've noticed is that the Ranger docking port spams Null Reference Errors. Can anyone confirm?

Upload a log and I will take a look at it.

3 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

The Ranger is also insanely hard to get into orbit. I did it many times with the 1.0.5 version, with fuel to spare, but now I can't no matter how hard I try - I always run out of fuel.

Is that with FAR installed or not?

51 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

love this mod, thanks for bringing it back! but is anyone else having issues with the Cooper engine? one of the two engines always seems to run out of intake air pretty quickly after takeoff. i tried adding some extra intakes, but that just delayed the inevitable. i can't remember this happening in the last version, but i could be wrong. i basically have to switch the coopers to closedCycle before i even make it to 10km. 

What speed are you going? What does the engine say the air input is when this occurs?

Edited by JPLRepo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job JPLRepo! Thanks again for all the work you put into this! I'm having soooo much fun in KSP now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

 

What speed are you going? What does the engine say the air input is when this occurs?

I get this same issue... always seems to be the right engine. speed around 200m\s says air starved or something like that. not at my gaming machine but i'll check when i get home... on the lander it seems the centre of gravity should be lower when the vtols are installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phers said:

can someone please post craft files?

Is it just me of is the lander crazy hard to fly.. with the Vtol engines on the center of gravity is off and when you thrust the ship ends up rotating end over end..

 

I'm having this same issue, during when trying to fly at a note the nose wants to keep raising up unless I use RCS to try and keep her steady on point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like everyone is having hard time with atmosphere flight. I also have FAR installed and both Ranger and Lander would flip when it reaches certain airspeed. Both of them are not so aerodynamically shaped so I can see why, but I'm afraid it would be hard to solve it because you can't really do something about actual aerodynamics for these crafts. Blame Nolan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are Sci-fi constructions that clearly didn't have any aerodynamic input into their design.. I think the creators of this mod knew that and gave them way overpowered SAS modules built in. Problem with that now is you will notice they wobble around when you use the auto-pilot etc. this is a known issue with SAS. All I can suggest is use SAS and RCS. I was able to fly them in atmosphere with/without FAR using both. If anyone wants to play around with the config settings for CoM CoL lifting body module, etc - by all means go for it. If you can come up with a better config setup share with us all and if all agree I will include the changes.

Edited by JPLRepo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

They are Sci-fi constructions that clearly didn't have any aerodynamic input into their design.. I think the creators of this mod knew that and gave them way overpowered SAS modules built in. Problem with that now is you will notice they wobble around when you use the auto-pilot etc. this is a known issue with SAS. All I can suggest is use SAS and RCS. I was able to fly them in atmosphere with/without FAR using both. If anyone wants to play around with the config settings for CoM CoL lifting body module, etc - by all means go for it. If you can come up with a better config setup share with us all and if all agree I will include the changes.

Mine is the opposite problem, I can fly in atmo fine, it's on orbit operations that have my nose pushing upward. I'm toying with dropping the CoM down to be more in line with the CoT for the rear engines in the config, I'll let you know how it turns out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TJBombard said:

Mine is the opposite problem, I can fly in atmo fine, it's on orbit operations that have my nose pushing upward. I'm toying with dropping the CoM down to be more in line with the CoT for the rear engines in the config, I'll let you know how it turns out

go for it. If you can come up with something that balances well in atmosphere and not.. Then I will incorporate it in. I tried messing with it a bit, but simply didn't have enough time to spend on it... Literally took me 2-3 weeks of ALL of my spare time just to get all the parts fixed and working and updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JPLRepo said:

go for it. If you can come up with something that balances well in atmosphere and not.. Then I will incorporate it in. I tried messing with it a bit, but simply didn't have enough time to spend on it... Literally took me 2-3 weeks of ALL of my spare time just to get all the parts fixed and working and updated.

I must say again that I appreciate all the love and attention you put into this beauty to get it into 1.1.2. I honestly can't imagine all the time and effort that it's taken since I can barely make a cube or fuel tank in Blender. So please don't take my observations as complaining, the ships are totally flyable if I take a little extra thought and finesse (I'm generally lazy) and I'm more happy just to have them in my game again than anything else. So thank you so much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TJBombard said:

I must say again that I appreciate all the love and attention you put into this beauty to get it into 1.1.2. I honestly can't imagine all the time and effort that it's taken since I can barely make a cube or fuel tank in Blender. So please don't take my observations as complaining, the ships are totally flyable if I take a little extra thought and finesse (I'm generally lazy) and I'm more happy just to have them in my game again than anything else. So thank you so much! 

And all I'm saying is that I think a better approach to maintaining this mod is for some volunteers to assist going forward. I simply don't have the time to do it all myself. (Don't worry, Probably would take me just as long in Blender now as well as I don't use it any more having now switched over to Autodesk Maya past 6 months).

I've already reached out to @Dafni and @googbo to be the official testers for this mod. Assuming they agree, then I am now asking for a couple of volunteers to help maintain this mod. I probably just need a couple of people familiar enough to tweak part file/config settings and do some modelling when required. Preference for people familiar with part configs, modelling, etc. I can handle the general code work, overall lead and packaging of releases, etc. What do people think? and do I have any volunteers?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

And all I'm saying is that I think a better approach to maintaining this mod is for some volunteers to assist going forward. I simply don't have the time to do it all myself. (Don't worry, Probably would take me just as long in Blender now as well as I don't use it any more having now switched over to Autodesk Maya past 6 months).

I've already reached out to @Dafni and @googbo to be the official testers for this mod. Assuming they agree, then I am now asking for a couple of volunteers to help maintain this mod. I probably just need a couple of people familiar enough to tweak part file/config settings and do some modelling when required. Preference for people familiar with part configs, modelling, etc. I can handle the general code work, overall lead and packaging of releases, etc. What do people think? and do I have any volunteers?
 

/*raises hand* 

Not sure if i have enough xp yet but i'm certainly willing to help out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be able to help a bit, I've messed around with config files in a text editor and I have a basic understanding if what I'm doing (Like changing KIS inventory space in parts or adding ISRU capabilities to some parts that should have them, like warp drives). I'm not entirely sure where my skills lie on the spectrum of mod making, I just know I'm not a noob at it, but I could by no means make my own mods. :P

Oh, I forgot to mention, I added some KIS inventory space in the Lander because, to me at least, it only makes sense. It just seems like there was a bit of space in the back for light science equipment in the movie.

Edited by skylon7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question. Could we fix the lander by setting the mass of the Vtol engines to 0.

This way the centre of mass is correct for main engines when under thrust in a vacuum.. and the ship doesn't flip up?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zero333 said:
 

Lander have problems with the release of the crew (EVA). How to fix?

Yeah, I noticed this like five minutes ago XD I'll let you know if I figure anything out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zero333 said:
 

Lander have problems with the release of the crew (EVA). How to fix?

Yeah, the Hatches are blocked. I thought I had checked that. But maybe I changed something before the release. The only way to 'fix' it is for me to fix the model in Unity and release a fix and for you to install it and then you will be able to EVA them out.
If you don't want to wait you can recover the vessel, dock another vessel with it and transfer the crew (if you have a docking port installed)... or use the claw and another mod like Ship Manifest to transfer them.
I'd recommend you wait. Just fixing it now and I can put the one file needed on dropbox to get you going again.

Edited by JPLRepo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JPLRepo if it is okay with you, can I test for bugs and suggest ideas that I have along the way?

Edited by skylon7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

... I'd recommend you wait....

OK we will wait. And thanks in advance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Zero333 said:

OK we will wait. And thanks in advance :)

@Zero333 @skylon7 and anyone else:
Ok fixed the Lander model. Go to this link and download the file (one file landerbody.mu). Put this file in \GameData\Endurance\Assets folder (make sure you replace the existing file).
Restart KSP. Should be able to EVA again from the Lander.
I'll do a proper release/update when I've got a few more fixes to include.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't someone want craft files? I have some that I rigged up, the best I could do with what I found about the Endurance's structure (Mostly where the research and habitat modules go). However, this Endurance uses a part from a previous version of the mod that had HabitatPack (the inflatable Habitat), I can remove that if necessary. Also, I added some lights to the Lander and Ranger, and some landing gear to the Viper. If anyone wants these crafts, just let me know!

The Endurance was pretty easy difficulty-wise to get into orbit. I have sub-assemblies that do get it into the air. You might only have half of your fuel left after achieving orbit, so you're going to need some sort of refueling rocket to get that extra fuel back. The major drawback: you either need to have beefy computer or seriously minimize some settings for it to not be so laggy. I recommend lowering any lighting settings or physics settings, this seems to be the base of the problem for me. If that doesn't work, try changing your screen resolution.

Edited by skylon7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously love this mod. During my experimenting I have been using the Lander with a docking port on the underside to land sections of the Planetary Base Systems mod onto Duna, drop them off, and return to orbit. It has made colony making 1000x easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope some more people with config and modelling skills will come forward and volunteer to help @JPLRepo getting this mod fully up to its former functionality again.

I´ll be here for any test assignements, but unfortunately my programming skills are non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.