[1.05] Interactive DV map calculator

solderflux

I made a thing.

I hope it's useful :)

http://davidhyman.github.io/ksp_bodies_graph/

It's intended as something for quick estimates rather than a full blown mission planner, but I hope it neatly fills the gap between the static dv maps for KSP (of which there are several) and the various calculators for detailed mission planning.

I took some inspiration (and data) from @Kowgan@swashlebucky and @interwound (http://deltavmap.com/) - thank you!

Bug reports, corrections and improvements welcome at github: https://github.com/davidhyman/ksp_bodies_graph

References:

http://deltavmap.com/

swash's delta v map

https://github.com/merlinthered/ksp_cheat_sheets

E23eveq.png?1

Edited by solderflux
hint bug reports

1 hour ago, juanml82 said:

looks cool, but it doesn't work on Firefox for some reason

Ah ok, will have a go with that shortly. Can't believe there's still x-browser problems in 2016!

1 hour ago, Citriodora said:

Nice work!
Maybe a silly question, what does +A stand for?

No, fair point as there's no legend ... as @Nukeknockout hints it's an indicator that you can use aerobraking on that transition.

How do you control what's pinned? I tried double-clicking and dragging, and clicking the "pinned" button but none of those work.

It looks really cool but it begs to be extremely interactive (I can see dragging the Duna node to Jool to see how much flying to Jool from Duna would cost me...)

16 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

How do you control what's pinned? I tried double-clicking and dragging, and clicking the "pinned" button but none of those work.

It looks really cool but it begs to be extremely interactive (I can see dragging the Duna node to Jool to see how much flying to Jool from Duna would cost me...)

It pins your current start location. So click to unpin, pick a route (say, Duna to Jool) and then pin again - now you can try Duna to Pol with a single click. Yes, it could probably be done with double clicks or something. Also documentation.

16 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Hey, thats pretty good! Don't suppose I could persuade you to do one for RSS/RO?

I was thinking of adding a selector for different solar systems - if there's some existing dv maps it's easy enough to add them. RSS/OuterPlanets/6.4x

30 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Pretty cool, thanks!

cheers :)

Nice! Useful for calculating more basic missions without having to add it all up.

Question, what are the margains of error added to this thing? I usually like to keep a buffer of 100-200 delta V for most interplanetary craft, but if this already adds extra then I don't want to have too much buffer.

Edited by nosirrbro
misleading numbers

1 hour ago, solderflux said:

It pins your current start location. So click to unpin, pick a route (say, Duna to Jool) and then pin again - now you can try Duna to Pol with a single click. Yes, it could probably be done with double clicks or something. Also documentation.

I was thinking of adding a selector for different solar systems - if there's some existing dv maps it's easy enough to add them. RSS/OuterPlanets/6.4x

cheers :)

I see... sweet!

Would it be an idea to make Kerbol the root of the tree? Currently the map tells me that in order to go from the surface of Moho to the surface of Duna (as if anybody ever would...) you have to go through a Kerbin orbit...

It's simply walking the shortest path between the nodes--this can way overstate the dV needed.  I just tried Mun surface to Minmus surface and it wants over 3000 m/s when in reality I think it could be done for half that.  The problem is that it has no concept of how far up a gravity well something is.  My impression is that this could be solved with arrows between all the "intercept" points within a gravity well.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

I see... sweet!

Would it be an idea to make Kerbol the root of the tree? Currently the map tells me that in order to go from the surface of Moho to the surface of Duna (as if anybody ever would...) you have to go through a Kerbin orbit...

I have sort of two answers for you ...

1. Ah. Oops. Indeed Moho and Dres were both connected at the wrong place, now fixed.
  2. I see what you mean, though I don't know if a simple re-root (in graph terms) is sufficient. Although 'crossing' branches won't give *wrong* values, they will indeed be much higher than needed, so I wouldn't do that just yet, but ...

Mostly I've been playing based on 'I want to visit x' -> 'build a rocket with y dv', probably from a map or graph. I need to swot up on my orbital mechanics - once I'm at the edge of a planet's SOI (i.e. in Kerbol's SOI), the (average) dv to any other planet for a direct transfer isn't a simple vector sum of the transfers from kerbin.

3 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It's simply walking the shortest path between the nodes--this can way overstate the dV needed.  I just tried Mun surface to Minmus surface and it wants over 3000 m/s when in reality I think it could be done for half that.  The problem is that it has no concept of how far up a gravity well something is.  My impression is that this could be solved with arrows between all the "intercept" points within a gravity well.

This. Well put.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.