[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

1 hour ago, SkyRender said:

There's actually a third option: take option #1 and code a tool that goes through a designated save file and renames all instances of the old part names to the new part names.  Then put in bold colored text in the next update "You need to run the PBS Repair Tool on your existing saves that use Planetary Base Systems parts, or your bases might break!".

This might be an option. I think it is possible to add this functionality to the plugin itself, so it is assured that everyone using the new plugin will have the correct saves. @Red Iron Crown would this be allowed? Haven't found anything against it in the rules.

It would definetely take some time though to write and verify this. There is a remaining risk in automatically changing the savegames, and it would make ppl very angry if this destroys all their saves. 

Edited by Nils277

33 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

This might be an option. I think it is possible to add this functionality to the plugin itself, so it is assured that everyone using the new plugin will have the correct saves. @Red Iron Crown would this be allowed? Haven't found anything against it in the rules.

It would definetely take some time though to write and verify this. There is a remaining risk in automatically changing the savegames, and it would make ppl very angry if this destroys all their saves. 

From my reading of the add-on rules it is permissable. If I were writing such a thing I would be sure to notify the user that it was happening and give them the option to backup their save before proceeding (bonus points if your plugin backs it up automagically for the user before attempting the repair). 

On 26-10-2016 at 3:04 AM, Starwaster said:

Have you tried turning on autostrutting and rigid connections? (enable it in the KSP settings menu and I think the option is called advanced tweakables... or something similar. Then you can turn on those options in each part's context menu)

KJR dev-build did the job. No need for autostrutting anymore.

3YvCWid.png

11 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

From my reading of the add-on rules it is permissable. If I were writing such a thing I would be sure to notify the user that it was happening and give them the option to backup their save before proceeding (bonus points if your plugin backs it up automagically for the user before attempting the repair). 

You are absolutely right. A backup and a message about the procedure will be obligatory.

12 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

You are absolutely right. A backup and a message about the procedure will be obligatory.

Why don't you use the built in SaveUpgradePipeline.UpgradeModule to do this for you. That's exactly what it's for and how Squad upgraded the Wheels to Unity 5 for save games. Not sure it can actually do part renaming. Worth investigating. Pretty sure it can actually.

Edited by JPLRepo

Hi, I'm pretty new to modding but i've looked a bit into the heatshield_g.cfg file

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleJettison
        jettisonName = Fairing
        bottomNodeName = bottom
        isFairing = True
        jettisonedObjectMass = 0.5
        jettisonForce = 15
        jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
    }    

ODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAblator
        ablativeResource = Ablator
        lossExp = -7500
        lossConst = 0.1
        pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
        reentryConductivity = 0.01
        ablationTempThresh = 500

useChar = True
        charModuleName = shieldChar
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Ablator
        amount = 600
        maxAmount = 600
    }

Is this correct or should i change it to Module ?

9 hours ago, Knatterkiste said:

Hi, I'm pretty new to modding but i've looked a bit into the heatshield_g.cfg file

Reveal hidden contents

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleJettison
        jettisonName = Fairing
        bottomNodeName = bottom
        isFairing = True
        jettisonedObjectMass = 0.5
        jettisonForce = 15
        jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
    }    

ODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAblator
        ablativeResource = Ablator
        lossExp = -7500
        lossConst = 0.1
        pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
        reentryConductivity = 0.01
        ablationTempThresh = 500

useChar = True
        charModuleName = shieldChar
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Ablator
        amount = 600
        maxAmount = 600
    }

Is this correct or should i change it to Module ?

You are right, that should be MODULE not ODULE. :wink:
Will fix that for the next release.

Thanks so much for this mod! It's amazing. 

I'm having trouble with the base docking port, though. I've been testing my base on the runway at KSC, and can't get two sections to dock (I decouple the two docking ports then try to reconnect). I remember reading about a similar issue in an earlier version; is it fixed now or is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm using 1.1.4, which is the latest version that CKAN recognizes for my version of KSP (still haven't upgraded to 1.2).

Thanks,

Jared

@jared not sure it is relevant to your problem but *I think* that docking port need to back off a little from each other before they can dock again.

If you just spawn your base at the runaway and have no way of moving it you can't test the docking mechanism *again, I think*.

PS : welcome to the forum :wink:

Update to v1.3.3 for KSP 1.2.1

Update for KSP 1.2.1 and a few bugfixes. Mainly the garages got some attention this time. 

Changelog:

Update for KSP 1.2.1

• Recompiled plugin dll

Bug Fixes:

• Renamed multiple stack nodes to avoid redundant names, fixed missing nodes when detaching part
  • Fixed ablator for heat shield
  • Placed the attachment point for the legs on the garage struct to the right position
  • Slightly adjusted colliders of garage and legs to avoid the leg being stowed
  • Enhanced general stowed detection of the garage parts
  • Removed flickering from the edges of the garage parts
  • Dockiing ports can now again connect to stock docking ports of size1

Download:

MRispXN.pngcNJI52O.png rMKWvsX.png

Note on the renamed stack nodes:

Multiple stack nodes have been renamed to counteract a bug that causes some stack nodes to dissapear when a parts is
detached in editor or via KIS/KAS. KPBS will perfrom an update of the save files but will pop up a dialog to create a backup
If you encounter any problems with any older crafts. Please immediately inform me of the problem (with provided save file)

@jared Is it possible that you try to connect a docking port from KPSB with a stock one? I just realized that they are not able to connect, although i changed that some time ago. It is fixed in the new version. Can you try this out and tell me the result? If the problem persists, can you send me the save-file, might see the problem in there. 

Edited by Nils277

53 minutes ago, MrLake said:

Is the CCK folder a requirement or just a life support option?

It is recommended when you use life support mods, but you won't need them if you are not using any life support mods.

In the 1.2 update of USI life support Hab months were reduced to 7.5 days for some reason.

MKS and USI-LS parts seem to be rebalanced for this, but KPBS parts still seem to use the old numbers, making them next to useless for Habitation.

For instance, the planetary Hab MK2 only gives a singular kerbal 30 extra days, whereas an inflatable MKS 'Ranger' Hab gives over 7 years (Which, to be fair, seems a bit overpowered, but still)

7 hours ago, Eggfruit said:

In the 1.2 update of USI life support Hab months were reduced to 7.5 days for some reason.

MKS and USI-LS parts seem to be rebalanced for this, but KPBS parts still seem to use the old numbers, making them next to useless for Habitation.

For instance, the planetary Hab MK2 only gives a singular kerbal 30 extra days, whereas an inflatable MKS 'Ranger' Hab gives over 7 years (Which, to be fair, seems a bit overpowered, but still)

Hmm, i did not know that the values in USI LS changed. I will update the support with the next update. :wink:

It is very hard to stay up to date with all the supported mods. So if a mod is updated and changed in a way that breaks support, it would be nice if someone lets me know. 

@Eggfruit I just looked at the config and documentation for USI-LS and saw following information;

Habitation is calculated in Kerbal-Months. A part with 1 Kerbal-Month will rather obviously support a single kerbal for one month, or 30 days. Please note this is for Kerbin days. If you play using Earth time, you have longer days, so you have shorter months! One 'Kerbal-Month' using Earth time is 7.5 Earth-days. You can also think of one Kerbal-Month as 180 hours.

Is it possible that you play using Earth time? This would fit perfectly. This still does not explain the really(!) high habitation value of the MKS 'Ranger'.

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Seems like many parameters and also names of the modules were changes so any support i added to any part does not work at all. :( 

Edited by Nils277

Planetary ISRU states that:

More engineers will result in a higher efficiency

But this is not true. I've started converting ore from container into liquid fuel and then sent all engineers (one lvl 2 and three noobs) to EVA. Ore consumption and fuel generation rates didn't change at all.

Edited by poma

5 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Seems like many parameters and also names of the modules were changes so any support i added to any part does not work at all. :( 

I also caused some confusion. Apparently only Hab time per seat has been reduced.

From the notes of the 0.5.0.0 release of USI LS (https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/releases/tag/0.5.0.0) :

Crew capacity only results in a 7.5 day hab bonus as opposed to 30 days.

Okay, this may seem like a real silly request, but I like the parts here, only I tend to prefer (for the time being, at least), space stations to planetary bases. Mostly because I've been terrible landing in the same spot. I don't suppose there's anything similar to this, but for building stations?

I've tried putting this together in station form, but due to balance issues, the parts aren't ideal since they're not designed to be symmetric 

9 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Okay, this may seem like a real silly request, but I like the parts here, only I tend to prefer (for the time being, at least), space stations to planetary bases. Mostly because I've been terrible landing in the same spot. I don't suppose there's anything similar to this, but for building stations?

I've tried putting this together in station form, but due to balance issues, the parts aren't ideal since they're not designed to be symmetric 

A long time ago, when this mod was still in early development, i also considered making a variant of this mod that is designed for space stations. Which is also kinda the reason for the manufacturers name "K&K Advanced Orbit and Surface Structures". I have given up on this idea because i don't have nearly enough time for adding all the needed parts. I may be making another mod for station in the far future, but don't count on it :wink:

There are of course some really nice mods already: The best ones i think is the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion. Another good mod ist he CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack. The Construction and Spacecraft packs from Near Future Technoligies are also good for building stations. There is also the FusTek Station Parts, which is unfortunately on hold at the moment but the parts still work in 1.2.1. Last but not least you can also try out the parts from MKS. It comes with a whole new eco system.

Edited by Nils277

@Nils277 @Li0n I worked out the problem. I had to manually rotate the docking module during assembly, since the inline base I was testing with was not facing the right way by default (looked the same though). The stock docking ports don't have this quirk so I overlooked it. Thanks for the support!

8 hours ago, Nils277 said:

There are of course some really nice mods already: The best ones i think is the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion. Another good mod ist he CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack. The Construction and Spacecraft packs from Near Future Technoligies are also good for building stations. There is also the FusTek Station Parts, which is unfortunately on hold at the moment but the parts still work in 1.2.1. Last but not least you can also try out the parts from MKS. It comes with a whole new eco system.

There's also HabTech, which looks great but I think the creator's abandoned it at this point.

16 hours ago, Nils277 said:

A long time ago, when this mod was still in early development, i also considered making a variant of this mod that is designed for space stations. Which is also kinda the reason for the manufacturers name "K&K Advanced Orbit and Surface Structures". I have given up on this idea because i don't have nearly enough time for adding all the needed parts. I may be making another mod for station in the far future, but don't count on it :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions! I use Nertea's mods pretty heavily, but I'm also fairly picky when it comes to art style for the mods. There's few that I find look nice. I like the style of your parts, so I thought I'd ask. :)