[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

Hi Nils277,

I have some suggestions for "new parts":

• a bigger Ground Construction (Global Construction) workspace, maybe based on the green house module
  • a Ground Construction Assembly line for DIY kits, maybe based on the hangar/garage module
  • add the ability to manufacture material kits to the rover ISRU?

Reason is that the Ground Construction parts have a "uggly" look and no support for Connected Living Space.

Maybe you find this idea cool/good enough.

Sincerely yours Thorsten

3 hours ago, technikadonis said:

... and no support for Connected Living Space.

Fixing CLS support is easy to fix on your own. When I used CLS I ran across a lot of mods without CLS,support, so just got in the habit of fixing them myself. I don't know what parts are in GC, but just put each partname in the following patch and save it to a .cfg file under GameData.  .

@PART[part1,part2,etc]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:FINAL
{
    MODULE
    {
		name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
		passable = true
    }
}

If I may, I'd suggest patching only parts that do not already come with ModuleConnectedLivingSpace, i.e. an explicit HAS[] statement like the following.
Just in case the parts you patch get native CLS support from either the mod author further down the road, or another third-party patch you may install at a later date.

@PART[part1,part2,etc]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]:AFTER[ConnectedLivingSpace]{
MODULE{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
}
}
Edited by Corax
Changed FINAL to AFTER; should be sufficient and less error-prone.

Can anyone tell me if the base pieces still like to continue roll/slide around the terrain even after putting the breaks on or putting up the landing gear on the modules?

That and the physics used to be wonky. Whenever I'd try to dock a rover in the bay the whole base would just snap around & break.

8 minutes ago, DefenderX1 said:

Can anyone tell me if the base pieces still like to continue roll/slide around the terrain even after putting the breaks on or putting up the landing gear on the modules?

It's not just this mod, but all of KSP that does this.  The only way I've found to combat this is to use the USI Inertial Dampener in USI Tools

//
// Add USI-Tools Ground Tether option to command modules
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[USI_InertialDampener]]:FINAL
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = USI_InertialDampener
    }
}

That and the physics used to be wonky. Whenever I'd try to dock a rover in the bay the whole base would just snap around & break.

Physics are still wonky.  I have a base that will be stable for months and then I'll switch to it one day and sections just blow up.

4 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's not just this mod, but all of KSP that does this.  The only way I've found to combat this is to use the USI Inertial Dampener in USI Tools

//
// Add USI-Tools Ground Tether option to command modules
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[USI_InertialDampener]]:FINAL
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = USI_InertialDampener
    }
}

Physics are still wonky.  I have a base that will be stable for months and then I'll switch to it one day and sections just blow up.

Do I need to get the full suite of USI mods? I used to use a lot of those mods before but I started a new play through after being away for a few years and don't really want to make things that complex just yet. (With life support & the extra resources, etc.)

Also where would that code be added? I'm a super noob when it comes to editing parts/modding.

51 minutes ago, DefenderX1 said:

Do I need to get the full suite of USI mods? I used to use a lot of those mods before but I started a new play through after being away for a few years and don't really want to make things that complex just yet. (With life support & the extra resources, etc.)

You don't need any of USI if you use EL (and KIS) as you can support your base on launch clamps, though that does come with its own problems (namely the resulting height of the base and the challenges involved in extending the base).

5 hours ago, DefenderX1 said:

Also where would that code be added? I'm a super noob when it comes to editing parts/modding.

First I'd recommend figuring out how to use CKAN to install mods.  USI-tools can be installed as a standalone mod, but it does get installed as a dependency of many other USI mods.  As to where it goes,  you need to create a text file that ends .cfg.  The rest of the filename can be whatever you want. This file can be located anyplace under the GameData directory.  I create a directory GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches to keep all the custom patches I write myself in one place.  

What @taniwha suggests is another route that also works.  I you are interested in this, you should out his Diamond Grid Trusses which provide an alternative to launch clamps for base supports.  I his supports (modified with a patch to allow surface attachment) for the supports on this launch pad I constructed next to my Mun mine.  The mine in the background just uses the USI-Tools Ground Tether to keep from sliding away.

xOAXgYl.jpg

Man, seeing those containers makes me wanna reinstall USI... those things were so awesome. Besides looking fantastic, it was a nice way to transport materials around.

Oh and, remind me please, what mod is EL? (Extraplanetary Launchpads?)

Edited by DefenderX1
Typos

28 minutes ago, DefenderX1 said:

Oh and, remind me please, what mod is EL? (Extraplanetary Launchpads?)

You are correct.  The USI Kontainers don't play nice with EL by default.  I rewrote their patches to use the EL resources instead of the resource chain used by USI.

How do you land the base? I have a base orbiting Minimus with inline engines on both ends and a control module and I can't land it. It considers Prograde to be along the long side of the base, so all controls are messed up and I can't orient it properly for landing. Is this because I initially built it vertically in VAB? Is there a way to fix this mid flight?

45 minutes ago, poma said:

How do you land the base? I have a base orbiting Minimus with inline engines on both ends and a control module and I can't land it. It considers Prograde to be along the long side of the base, so all controls are messed up and I can't orient it properly for landing. Is this because I initially built it vertically in VAB? Is there a way to fix this mid flight?

Each type of command pod has it's 'forward' in a specific direction.  You need to make sure you have one pointing the way you want it before you launch...

Three solutions for you:

• Send up a small probe core or docking port, attach it with an an Engineer and KIS.  (Docking ports always have prograde as their face, to help you dock.)
  • Install TCA, and use it to land.  (It will ignore the 'forward', and work with the direction the engines are facing.)
  • Land anyway!  It takes some flying, but I've done it...

@poma: More options...

• Build your base on the surface (bit late for your current base, but...)
  • Attach base parts to a a large lander (maybe a skycrane). Sort of similar to @DStaal's first option.
  • Declare your base to be a station and use my first option.
  • As per DStaal's third option: git gud ;)

On a hopefully helpful note: landing (let alone launching) bases never made sense to me, and landing and then docking modules is very challenging due to the need to fight gravity (I've done it, but...). Thus back in the day (circa KSP 0.21) I got interested in Extraplanetary Launchpads (then maintained by its original creator, @skykooler), Orbital Construction [Redux?] (now defunct it seems) and Kerbal Attachment System (before it was split into KAS and KIS). I built a minimum of seed modules in orbit around Minmus using OC[R], landed them (none too close, I was really bad at precision landing then), connected them together using KAS (magic winch cables :P), and then built the rest of what I needed on-site using EL. Since then, Skykooler handed me the reigns to EL and I extended it to do orbital construction (probably why OC[R] faded away), padless construction using surveyed sites (requires KIS to place the survey stakes), and "permanent" attachment extension construction.

Thus, all you need to do to get a pretty substantial base on any body is to land a fairly small construction-capable ship with sufficient RocketParts (EL's default resource, with some careful planning 4t is more than sufficient). You can then bootstrap your way up to any sized base. And the only additional mods required to do so are EL and KIS (assuming KIS isn't already in your set). However, I recommend at least KAS as well, and maybe Diamond Grid (for the non-releasing "launch clamps" (great for keeping your base stable).

Anyway,, DStaal has given some great advice. I hope my post can be some inspiration for future planning.

@poma Another option is to add a patch to insert alternate control points into your command module. I think this should work. I can't remember the last time I would have used the feature.  It should give you the option to change your control axis on the fly.  You might need to play with the orientation settings to get the options you need for your design.  The neat thing here, is you should be able to install the patch, load your save to check if it's working like you need and make changes to the patch  without needing to modify your craft in the game.  You will need to exit KSP and relaunch it to capture changes.

@PART[KKAOSS_*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleCommand]
	{
		defaultControlPointDisplayName = #autoLOC_6011000 //#autoLOC_6011000 = Up
		CONTROLPOINT
		{
			name = forward
			displayName = #autoLOC_6011001 //#autoLOC_6011001 = Forward
			orientation = 90,0,0
		}
		CONTROLPOINT
		{
			name = reverse
			displayName = #autoLOC_6011004 //#autoLOC_6011004 = Reversed
			orientation = 0,0,180
		}

}
}

Edited by Tonka Crash

@Tonka Crash So I figured out how to make my own custom patches. I downloaded USI Tools and threw that into my own config file and now my command modules can use ground tether! Thanks!

Unrelated question: I'm trying to remove the oxidizer requirement from an engine but this isn't working, any thoughts?

@PART[EngineName]
{
	!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {} // remove the Oxidizer propellant completely.
}
Edited by DefenderX1
Updates

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@DefenderX1 The propellant is nested within the ModuleEnginesFX or ModuleEngines node, so to address it you have to do something like this.

@PART[EngineName] {
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] { // or it may be ModuleEngines 
		-PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
	}
}

Thanks! You're awesome! (And I"m blind... lol)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you guys are sick of getting this question, but what am I doing wrong with trying to use the flex corridors? I have one craft with a "K&K flexible corridor" just a couple of metres away from a craft with a "k&k corridor docking port". All the googling I've done had said that it should be as simple as right-clicking the corridor, selecting the connect option, clicking on the corridor docking port. However, when I do this, the message "select a compatible socket or press esc" just stays there and the UI beeps at me. Obviously there is something that I'm not doing right.

3ISiKIN.png

You can see they're lined up pretty well, and are close, so I'm not sure what else to look for.

I'm running PBS 1.6.11 and KAS 1.6 on KSP 1.8.1, if that is relevant. I generally don't update too often so I don't break all of my mods.

I'd really appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Edited by Tokamak

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I'm sure you guys are sick of getting this question, but what am I doing wrong with trying to use the flex corridors? I have one craft with a "K&K flexible corridor" just a couple of metres away from a craft with a "k&k corridor docking port". All the googling I've done had said that it should be as simple as right-clicking the corridor, selecting the connect option, clicking on the corridor docking port. However, when I do this, the message "select a compatible socket or press esc" just stays there and the UI beeps at me. Obviously there is something that I'm not doing right.

3ISiKIN.png

You can see they're lined up pretty well, and are close, so I'm not sure what else to look for.

I'm running PBS 1.6.11 and KAS 1.6 on KSP 1.8.1, if that is relevant. I generally don't update too often so I don't break all of my mods.

I'd really appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

You need a flex corridor on both sides of the connection.  They only attach to each other.

6 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

You need a flex corridor on both sides of the connection.  They only attach to each other.

Ah, I see! Thank you. I was confused, because the top of the thread says:

"Important update Note:To be compatible to KAS 1.0 the flexible corridor now consists of two separate parts. The active part is called "K&K Flexible
Corridor" it can now be connected by a Kerbal to any "K&K Docking-Port" or "K&K Corridor Docking-Port". It is not possible
anymore to connect two "K&K Flexible Corridor" parts with each other like it used to be before."

It might be best for that to get edited.

Hi @Nils277, first of all, I'd like to say KPBS is a great mod! Thank you for doing this!

I've recently noticed one thing in the integration between Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and OSE Workshop. And I'm not sure whether it was something overlooked or it's intentional, so I thought it would be better to ask.

As I can see, OSE Workshop added ExoticMinerals and RareMetals Harvesters directly to the stock drills, as well as scanners, resource distribution, etc. This was done some time ago, back in 2015, it seems. So, since then there were two ways to perform OSE - either sift Dirt or setup a base in place rich in ExoticMinerals/RareMetals (maybe secondary base or just a mining outpost).

https://github.com/Aelfhe1m/Workshop/commit/24fb688579a176937373c518945e1fed25c108ff#diff-0d360eca26d9f578a6a98c910971ef1a

However, as I suddenly found, there are no similar patches to add ExoticMinerals and RareMetals Harvesters to K&K Inline Drill. And, unlike Dirt, there are no dedicated K&K parts for these resources. (I learned it the hard way after landing the "mining outpost" with K&K inline drills on Duna).

I just want to ask if it was a design decision or just something overlooked & not implemented.

I've tried to make an MM patch with the corresponding ModuleResourceHarvesters for KKAOSS_drill with the Efficiency and other parameters taken from the Ore harvester (in between small and large stock drills). Overall, it seems to be working as expected. I can put it all together and make a pull request, if you interested.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:41 AM, Tokamak said:

Ah, I see! Thank you. I was confused, because the top of the thread says:

"Important update Note:To be compatible to KAS 1.0 the flexible corridor now consists of two separate parts. The active part is called "K&K Flexible
Corridor" it can now be connected by a Kerbal to any "K&K Docking-Port" or "K&K Corridor Docking-Port". It is not possible
anymore to connect two "K&K Flexible Corridor" parts with each other like it used to be before."

It might be best for that to get edited.

Ah, you are right, will remove it

On 7/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sibiro said:

Hi @Nils277, first of all, I'd like to say KPBS is a great mod! Thank you for doing this!

I've recently noticed one thing in the integration between Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and OSE Workshop. And I'm not sure whether it was something overlooked or it's intentional, so I thought it would be better to ask.

As I can see, OSE Workshop added ExoticMinerals and RareMetals Harvesters directly to the stock drills, as well as scanners, resource distribution, etc. This was done some time ago, back in 2015, it seems. So, since then there were two ways to perform OSE - either sift Dirt or setup a base in place rich in ExoticMinerals/RareMetals (maybe secondary base or just a mining outpost).

https://github.com/Aelfhe1m/Workshop/commit/24fb688579a176937373c518945e1fed25c108ff#diff-0d360eca26d9f578a6a98c910971ef1a

However, as I suddenly found, there are no similar patches to add ExoticMinerals and RareMetals Harvesters to K&K Inline Drill. And, unlike Dirt, there are no dedicated K&K parts for these resources. (I learned it the hard way after landing the "mining outpost" with K&K inline drills on Duna).

I just want to ask if it was a design decision or just something overlooked & not implemented.

I've tried to make an MM patch with the corresponding ModuleResourceHarvesters for KKAOSS_drill with the Efficiency and other parameters taken from the Ore harvester (in between small and large stock drills). Overall, it seems to be working as expected. I can put it all together and make a pull request, if you interested.

Looks like an oversight from my site. Will work an the appropriate patches.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, DefenderX1 said:

i found that avoiding landing legs of any sort on bases doing ISRU or change mass over time is very dangerous, I only use structural parts as landing legs here as long as they are not flexing they are safe. 
This is extremely important if you build an base connecting parts with KAS piping.

The problem is then some parts has changed weight and all are suspended on landing legs with shock absorbers, then base physic is re calculated after time warp, switch to or come into range the new weights might act as an  trebuchet in worst case. 

If you don't use warp then refueling an lander with landing legs from an base its no danger but do an quicksave and if you can not refuel in one go, disconnect before warp.