[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

14 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@The Credible Bulk and @SkyFall2489 the problem with SimpleRepaint has to come from this mod itself.

There is a way around it you can do. Just put this in a CFG file:

Spoiler

@PART[KKAOSS_drill,KKAOSS_MetalOreDrill,KKAOSS_LS_drill_water]:BEFORE[zzz_SimpleRepaint]

{

%SR_Ignore = true

}

This will blacklist the KPBS drill parts from SimpleRepaint.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:34 AM, gameskipper said:

For some reason, the KPBS greenhouse is not appearing for me, is there something I missed in the changelog?

(using all near future mods, far future, OPT and OPT reconfig + Visual and IVA mods)

hmm, I seemed to have figured it out, for some odd reason, it was caused by the TAC Life Support mod

On 4/29/2022 at 2:27 AM, SkyFall2489 said:

There is a way around it you can do. Just put this in a CFG file:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[KKAOSS_drill,KKAOSS_MetalOreDrill,KKAOSS_LS_drill_water]:BEFORE[zzz_SimpleRepaint]

{

%SR_Ignore = true

}

This will blacklist the KPBS drill parts from SimpleRepaint.

Thanks! Will add the blacklist to the next update. Are the any other parts known to have problems with SimpleRepaint?

20 hours ago, gameskipper said:

hmm, I seemed to have figured it out, for some odd reason, it was caused by the TAC Life Support mod

Thanks for the report. I will take a look at this and see why the greenhouse disappears for TAC-LS. It should be moved to the live support category. Maybe something changed and this causes problems.
Edit: @gameskipper I have checked it out and privided that ModuleManager, CCK and CRP are installed correctly too, the greenhouse appears in the "Life Support" main category in the VAB/SPH.

Edited by Nils277

7 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Thanks! Will add the blacklist to the next update. Are the any other parts known to have problems with SimpleRepaint?

Not in KPBS. I have not tried your other mods yet.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:21 PM, Nils277 said:

I have checked it out and privided that ModuleManager, CCK and CRP are installed correctly too, the greenhouse appears in the "Life Support" main category in the VAB/SPH.

Hmm, well I did install the one that was bundled in, but i did write into and overwrite some files due to other mods also having it bundled in, I'm not sure that would cause a difference though.
Edit: I just installed a bunch of mods and I didn't find the greenhouse, BUT it turns out it is in the Life Support category, but for some reason, doesn't appear when searching "greenhouse"

Edited by gameskipper
Clarification

Bug report:

Mass of recycler too high

steps to reproduce:

pull up the info in the editor for the recycler part

I don't think it should be 2 tons, given that the EL recyclers are super light, and @taniwha seems to have done the math for all the other parts of EL...

Hello space travelers,

to satisfy the TAC Live support needs for the Kerbonauts on their Mün base, mission control took a look at the hardware K&K offers.
So far the Kerbals in charge are rather impressed with the product palette offered but there is a question left regarding power management.

During Mün's daytime the Electron can split water into its contents to store energy in a more compact way than it could be done with accumulators.
But K&K's fuel cell operates only with liquid fuel and oxidizer with no way to switch to hydrogen and oxygen for the process.

It is possible to use a fuel cell from several other vendors thus the solution is still in consideration.
Still the question lingers, why isn't K&K offering a closed cycle without the need for foreign parts?

Are the brains at mission control missing something?

Edited by Fendrin
Corrected wrong capitals

• 2 weeks later...

@Fendrin The designers at K&K did not consider a Fuel-Cell converting hydrogen and oxygen into EC because they did not think anybody would be ready to turn the Electron and Fuel-Cell on and off depending on whether it is day or night to have a mixed cycle (they have not heard of any automatic way to do this until now). However, if provided with a good example of an existing version of a fuel-cell from another vendor that does have this ability, the designers at K&K are positive that they are able to work out a workaround for this shortcoming.

Edited by Nils277

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, littlecaptian said:

Are you have interesting to made the base could be print by mod sandcastle?

@Nils277 shouldn't have to do anything. Sandcastle uses EL (for non-inventory builds) and EL builds most parts without issue.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, Nils277 said:

@Fendrin The designers at K&K did not consider a Fuel-Cell converting hydrogen and oxygen into EC because they did not think anybody would be ready to turn the Electron and Fuel-Cell on and off depending on whether it is day or night to have a mixed cycle (they have not heard of any automatic way to do this until now). However, if provided with a good example of an existing version of a fuel-cell from another vendor that does have this ability, the designers at K&K are positive that they are able to work out a workaround for this shortcoming.

On Demand Fuel Cells (ODFC)

• 3 weeks later...

Nerd time!

I am playing with RealFuels and was frustrated that fuel cells aren't changed. So, I thought about converting generic Fuel Cell Arrays into proper H2+O2 fuel cells (and CH4+O2, CH3OH+O2 and C2H5OH+O2 after that). Since I didn't want to make fuel consumption and energy generation purely arbitrary, I started some calculations. The biggest struggle for me was the amount of ElectricCharge that needed to be generated, but luckily KPBS has Elektron Container unit, which was a great help.

Another help was this thread: 

So, assuming that Unit of "ElectricCharge" is indeed equals 113 joules, we now have this equations:

Spoiler

unknown.png

As you can see, Elektron container is super effective, having so negligible losses that they can be ignored! Oops!

Related: Why do you use separate module for your resource converters instead of stock ModuleResourceConverter? Does ModuleKPBSConverter have advantages compared to stock one?

Edited by Fisherman

@Fisherman that posting you cited is nine years old and is purely stock-centric. Why go with that when you are using Real Fuels where 1 ElectricCharge = 1 kilojoule? 

Here's some alternate sample fuel cell generator configs (for the small/large stock fuel cells. Just the ModuleGenerator part) these will give you appropriate O2/H2 -> water by mass and I believe I based the EC output by the Apollo fuel cells as a guideline.

Fuel Cell

Spoiler

MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleGenerator
            statusGUIName = Fuel Cell
            requiresAllInputs = false
            INPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Hydrogen
                rate = 0.09023775
            }
            INPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Oxygen
                rate = 0.0456694575
            }
            OUTPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Water
                rate = 0.0000725063088
            }
            OUTPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = ElectricCharge
                rate = 0.75
            }
        }

Fuel Cell Array

Spoiler

MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleGenerator
            statusGUIName = Fuel Cell
            requiresAllInputs = false
            INPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Hydrogen
                rate = 0.5414265
            }
            INPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Oxygen
                rate = 0.274016745
            }
            OUTPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = Water
                rate = 0.0004350378528
            }
            OUTPUT_RESOURCE
            {
                name = ElectricCharge
                rate = 4.5
            }
        }

Edit: Clarification: EC as 1 kilojoule actually only makes sense for storage. Given that the article was specifically talking about solar panels and we're talking about generators, we should actually be using watts, where output in EC is in kilowatts.

Edited by Starwaster
Clarification on joules and watts

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Fisherman that posting you cited is nine years old and is purely stock-centric. Why go with that when you are using Real Fuels where 1 ElectricCharge = 1 kilojoule? 

Probably because I didn't find anything related beside that thread.

That said, if EC=1kJ and Fuel Cell has efficiency of 70% then with input you proposed Output of Fuel Cell is closer to .81 per second. Which is, honestly, not bad. I guess I can scale it up somewhat to get 1,5 kW Fuel Cells.

Edited by Fisherman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@jebycheek by “stock friction parts“ i assume you mean the grip pads from breaking ground dlc. try downloading KAS (kerbal attachment system) and use the base ground anchor parts that will appear with that mod installed, or just use the stock ground anchor parts if you are using 1.12. Hope this helps!

19 hours ago, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

@jebycheek by “stock friction parts“ i assume you mean the grip pads from breaking ground dlc. try downloading KAS (kerbal attachment system) and use the base ground anchor parts that will appear with that mod installed, or just use the stock ground anchor parts if you are using 1.12. Hope this helps!

It worked!thankyou!