[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

hmm. alright, I'll have a go. I'm getting some extra early-game Science Stuff to start a new playthough anyways, so I can check that. if anyone has any idea what might be causing that, I'm sure all of us and Nils would love to know.

4 hours ago, J.Random said:

@Nils277, small bugreport regarding landing legs (not suspension): animation for the underside landing legs seems borked: on deploy, they do nothing for a couple of seconds and then deploy instantly.

Already on it. The underside one is fixed already in my 'Rawhide' version. Still have to find the reason for the locked suspension though.

3 hours ago, Mechtech said:

actually, on further use, I've noticed that Kerbals sometimes have trouble with the airlocks (so far, only noted on the Planetary command segment and the end-cap airlock, though not exhaustively tested,) resulting in the kerbal 'boarding' but with their EVA-self hanging on the outside- going to the space center and back causes the part in question to explode, after which you get a 'failed to load vessel due to missing: unknown part' message for your EVA kerbal. might be weirdness with mods, might be 1.1 issues. not sure.

I haven't heard of that bug in a long time. Can you post a log of that situation? (The KSP.log file in the same folder as the KSP executable)

On a further notice, in the OP of this thread is a compatibility patch from PocketBrotector linked that adds some sort of support for UKS. I don't know though if it is up to date because it is not maintained my me. 

11 hours ago, Nils277 said:

On a further notice, in the OP of this thread is a compatibility patch from PocketBrotector linked that adds some sort of support for UKS. I don't know though if it is up to date because it is not maintained my me. 

Yep, I've seen it.  It's a bit out of date (mostly in that it duplicates some stuff you have in the main mod now), and doesn't deal with what we were talking about really.

20 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@TampaPowers and @DStaal okay, i think i will try to add some sort of (limited) support for/connection to UKS and the wear feature of USI-LS. DStaal has some good ideas and is right, a full support would be a lot of work. Tampapowers,  i will take a look at your parts tomorrow, can't get to a computer right noe. There are templates linked in the OT btw. for all who want to start to create stuff for KPBS. Importing the other models is okay of course too. :wink:

But be warned, this won't be a fast process. I have to make sure to not break anything or outbalance UKS. I have never used it for long, so there is a lot to study. And i don't want to start the module manager war @RoverDude mentioned. 

Additionally there are still many unfinished things (KSPedia, Garage overhaul etc.) and bugs from the 1.1 conversion. And seeing 1.1.1 on the horizon gives me headaches...

@MorePortal Will add at least container for EPL as well. But i can't say for sure when I get the time.

@Mechtech Something like a watchtower? Would be really hard to land but may be possible. Will think about it. 

Well...time for bed now. :wink:

I'd actually rather see you include Simple Construction, which is basically a lot of EPL, but with most of the cruft stripped out and turns some parts into workshops through which to build.  

10 minutes ago, CptRichardson said:

I'd actually rather see you include Simple Construction, which is basically a lot of EPL, but with most of the cruft stripped out and turns some parts into workshops through which to build.  

For what we're talking about, I think support would be the same for Simple Construction or EPL, as Simple Construction (as I understand it) is basically a re-distribution of the EL dll with a different sent of MM files so that it doesn't need to add any parts.  So if we enable workshops/survey functionality it should work with either.

and given we're talking about UKS support, that has its own EPL parts and kills most of the parts anyway- I know I generally just delete everything but the survey stakes and the the nice round tanks (which I re-purpose as ore, Karbonite and H20 tanks) so there's that too.

honestly, Simple construction could likely be supported by the mod in its current state via the same method I used for EPL, namely using +[part] operators and @[part] modifications via MM.

So after starting a new game (IE, one that didn't have all but a handful of techs researched) I noticed that this mod... has some placement issues with the tech tree. while a MM patch for may personal use fixed that little issue, it would be nice if you could bring your parts to be more in-line with the stock parts- for example I ended up basically never using the the PBS lab because it's in advanced science for some insane reason given the stock lab is available about three techs sooner. the same goes for drills and ore containers, and so on. some of the parts seem to be right where they ought to be, but others are just 'why would you do that?' far from their stock counterparts.

please consider bringing some of the parts (particularly the Science lab, as it's about 2/3rds the point of extraplanetary bases in the first place) to be more in-line with the stock parts in the future.

also, very minor bug- the 'fold out' modules don't seem to keep lit when you switch from vessel to KSC or outside craft load range. not sure why that would be.

19 hours ago, DStaal said:

For what we're talking about, I think support would be the same for Simple Construction or EPL, as Simple Construction (as I understand it) is basically a re-distribution of the EL dll with a different sent of MM files so that it doesn't need to add any parts.  So if we enable workshops/survey functionality it should work with either.

Simple Contruction will also be supported at some point. Still a bit short on time at the moment. 

15 hours ago, Mechtech said:

So after starting a new game (IE, one that didn't have all but a handful of techs researched) I noticed that this mod... has some placement issues with the tech tree. while a MM patch for may personal use fixed that little issue, it would be nice if you could bring your parts to be more in-line with the stock parts- for example I ended up basically never using the the PBS lab because it's in advanced science for some insane reason given the stock lab is available about three techs sooner. the same goes for drills and ore containers, and so on. some of the parts seem to be right where they ought to be, but others are just 'why would you do that?' far from their stock counterparts.

please consider bringing some of the parts (particularly the Science lab, as it's about 2/3rds the point of extraplanetary bases in the first place) to be more in-line with the stock parts in the future.

also, very minor bug- the 'fold out' modules don't seem to keep lit when you switch from vessel to KSC or outside craft load range. not sure why that would be.

Originally the parts for KPBS were earlier in the TechTree. But there was a long discussion about it in the development thead about it. It basically sums up to that it is more logical that base part are further back in the TT because building a base is harder that building spacestation in RL too. So i put them further back. Maybe the lab and the resource parts should be earlier in the TT though.

The lights will stay lit when you come back to a part in the next version. I had fixed this issue some time ago but forgot to adapt the module to some changes i had to make.

@Nils277 do you plan to replace all those gangways to corridors? I really miss the straight (short without the adapter and long) ones, the curved and eht 3-way one, their still in a folder labeled 'OLD'. They still work? I can put them back somehow? Thanks!

1 hour ago, VaPaL said:

@Nils277 do you plan to replace all those gangways to corridors? I really miss the straight (short without the adapter and long) ones, the curved and eht 3-way one, their still in a folder labeled 'OLD'. They still work? I can put them back somehow? Thanks!

The modular corridor parts are meant to replace the gangways (which was a bad name chosen for their purpose :wink:) You can reenable them when you edit their config files (the *.cfg ones) you have to change to values: 

category,which is currently set to none. Best would be structural.

and 

TechRequired, which is als none i think. You can change it to start to have them always available or look at the corridors for Inspiration for places in the techtree.

yeah, I can see where that's going, but a few things don't make a great deal of sense- putting a drill in a small structure isn't all that much harder than strapping a drill to the side of something, and the attendant container is, well, a box, it makes sense to not have it until you actually need it, and so on. the gap between the PBS Lab and the stock lad, however, is particularly egregious- especially if, like me, you're using a mod that allows all six seats in the stock lab to be used. I can generally get behind some things (the hab modules, for example) being one tech further along than their space-equivalent counterparts, but a few things really need to be in line with stock to make logical sense.

additionally, I had further thought on this- It occurred to me that the colony hub actually looks like it's two parts stacked atop each-other, so perhaps splitting that up into a baseplate with the four connectors on it (even possibly using the same model-switching trick as the corridors to 'pretty up' the thing when you stick it on the end of a base) and modular 'mission packages' like a Command Center, larger science lab, workshops/manufacturing doohickies, and maybe a couple of mounting plates for standard-size components might be something to look into- I know I sometimes power my Science bases with a Nuke Reactor, so having a way to mount those in a non-crappy-looking way would be nice.

plus, it'd make it a lot easier to support other mods 'out of the box,' since you could make a small stable of modules and then MM-patch functions into them for various mods.

Edited by Mechtech

just a little something I found out: as it turns out, these happen to interface nicely with the Wildblue Buffalo rover:

screenshot92_zpsybbzzl0u.png

SPACE CAMPER IN- Well, I guess it's not in space, but W/E, you get the idea.

... did I mention how much I like the SPACE CAMPER look this mod has going? because I really do.

11 hours ago, TampaPowers said:

When taking the models apart there were two sets of the same boxes in there. I assume they are for simplified collisions, but how come there are two of each?

There is actually one one set of boxes. But when you use the .mu importer for blender, it create on box for the mesh the i used to generate the collision box and one box for the physical collision box itself.

@Mechtech The camper looks cool. I user the buffo myself, but never had the idea to combine them.

Edited by Nils277

Hey @Nils277, reading around on some of the other mods I follow may have revealed the source to the 'can't get in the ship' bug- namely, apparently the recent updates kriffed up the Mesh colliders, so if your airlock doors are using them that's likely the problem. box colliders seem to be causing less problems all around now, so you may want to use those for the airlocks if you aren't already. otherwise, I have no idea.

Ladies and gentlekerbs, its update time! 

Changelog:

Update to 1.1.2:

• Recompiled plugin dll.

Enhancements:

• Added the first KSPedia entries (still more to come).
  • The Attachable Landing Gear is much more robust and better handable now.
  • Some rebalancing of the TechTree.

Mod Support:

• Added support for ScanSAT (Thanks to Dr. Jet).
  • Cry-5000 was updated to support latest JSIAdvTransparendPods features (Thanks to JPLRepo).

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed lights going off on expandable parts when loading (again). (Thanks to Svizel).
  • Fixed visual appearance of the drills.
  • Excess Fertilizer is not dumped anymore, this closes a hole in the lifecycle for USI-LS (Thanks to Svizel).
  • Added missing "Transfer Crew" option on deployable parts.
  • The deploy animation of the underside landing leg now works properly again.
  • The syspension of the attachable landing leg now works again.

Download:

MRispXN.pngcNJI52O.png rMKWvsX.png

This one is mainly a bugfix and compatibility update.

Next things to come: (not neccecarily in that order and without time estimation)

1. Resized Garages
  2. Hatch for the Garage Adapter
  3. (Limited) Support for UKS and Wear from USI-LS
  4. EPL and Easy Construction.

16 hours ago, dirtbikerxz said:

Any chance we can get the files for the ships you used to launch the parts, and the sky crane you use to land them in http://imgur.com/a/oacfT#5

I can't send you the vessel used in that album, because it is not from me. You have to ask @SSMI for that.
Another vessel can be found in the here. It is not the exact craft from the images (that one does not exist anymore) but it is very similar to it. :wink:

8 hours ago, Mechtech said:

Hey @Nils277, reading around on some of the other mods I follow may have revealed the source to the 'can't get in the ship' bug- namely, apparently the recent updates kriffed up the Mesh colliders, so if your airlock doors are using them that's likely the problem. box colliders seem to be causing less problems all around now, so you may want to use those for the airlocks if you aren't already. otherwise, I have no idea.

All the ladders and hatches have been collision boxes all the time already. Always thought they were the easiest to configure. This is sadly not the cause.
Btw, what other mods do you have installed? And does this happen always when you want to enter?