[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

What Rover Mods do you have in mind specifically? I know of Karibou Expidition Rover and Ares (The Martian) Rover. I'm not sure if the second one could fit.

The Caribou Expidition Rover will not fit, it is simply too big and the garages would have to be unproportionally big.

Both of those are long-term expedition rovers, and not having them in the garage makes some sense.  The one that annoys me is the PackRat.  It's just centimeters (if that) to tall to fit through the doorways.  (And it fits inside - it just has issues getting through the doors.)  It's a more short-term short-range rover, the type of thing that I'd expect to put into a garage.   (I haven't tried USI's logistics rover, but that would be another one that I'd think would be good for a garage.)

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

What Rover Mods do you have in mind specifically? I know of Karibou Expidition Rover and Ares (The Martian) Rover. I'm not sure if the second one could fit.

The Caribou Expidition Rover will not fit, it is simply too big and the garages would have to be unproportionally big.

Well, we have the Buffalo Rover from the Pathfinder mod and the ERS. I've tried both and the Buffalo -almost- fits (wheels cut through the floor). The ERS, well, is huge since it requires a 3.75m enclosure to get it to where it needs to be. Sure, I could just build a small rover to fit in there, but there is no such thing as "proportional" with me for some odd reason. Anyways, thanks for your reply. 

6 hours ago, Nils277 said:

How about the Buffalo MSEV?

17 hours ago, Secret Hamster said:

You may remember a while back I reported missing menu options for KIS/KAS. Well, with the latest 1.0.6 they appear back again.

Not sure if you posted you had found the solution or this is just an accident, I've not read back on the thread (a lot to catch up on since I last had a chance to look)

Anyway thanks.

Jep, i remember. :wink: I thought, i also send you a PM asking if the bug is resolved. Could you see the KPBS catagory in the advanced filter options of the VAB?
If not, can you still send me the KSP.log file? I just have "cured" the symptoms of this bug but a doubt the real reason is solved :wink:

17 hours ago, daltonater said:

Found a small visual bug in the VAB with certian parts. I put a twin base part mount on top of the new central hub, and while moving the camera around, the bug occured. I had the currently non attached large storage unit between the actively being built craft, and the camera, yet for some reason, the bicoupler turned invisible, but only the portion being obscured. Funny part is that the central hub didnt share this problem, despite also being obscured.

Hmm...might be a problem with alpha/transparency of one of the shaders. I might have accidentally applied one translucency shader to the bicupler. I will check that.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Both of those are long-term expedition rovers, and not having them in the garage makes some sense.  The one that annoys me is the PackRat.  It's just centimeters (if that) to tall to fit through the doorways.  (And it fits inside - it just has issues getting through the doors.)  It's a more short-term short-range rover, the type of thing that I'd expect to put into a garage.   (I haven't tried USI's logistics rover, but that would be another one that I'd think would be good for a garage.)

I will see if i can change the parts from the garage so that at least the PackRat could fit. 

1 hour ago, ComatoseJedi said:

Well, we have the Buffalo Rover from the Pathfinder mod and the ERS. I've tried both and the Buffalo -almost- fits (wheels cut through the floor). The ERS, well, is huge since it requires a 3.75m enclosure to get it to where it needs to be. Sure, I could just build a small rover to fit in there, but there is no such thing as "proportional" with me for some odd reason. Anyways, thanks for your reply. 

If the buffalo almost fits i think that i can tweak the parts just enough so that it will :wink:

1 minute ago, Nils277 said:

If the buffalo almost fits i think that i can tweak the parts just enough so that it will :wink:

The Buffalo is the Rover I use 24/7 on my expeditions to Duna. 

However, on the Moon, I'm waiting for:

1.) Someone (NOT YOU) to make a 4 man lander

2.) OR, for 1.1 so I can run a large lander with a hitch hiker and probe combo with over 200 parts. 

@Nils277 Okay, great :) . Using the goat wheels on the Buffalo rover, the cut into the floor half way into the floor, while the top scrapes the top of the garage ceiling. I would give you screens, but I never thought you'd go for the idea to make it bigger to accommodate a rover mod. But, as I always say, it never hurts to ask. 

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

The Buffalo is the Rover I use 24/7 on my expeditions to Duna. 

However, on the Moon, I'm waiting for:

1.) Someone (NOT YOU) to make a 4 man lander

2.) OR, for 1.1 so I can run a large lander with a hitch hiker and probe combo with over 200 parts. 

From my previous post I was able to fit a buffalo river inside the hangar. however it requires me to offset some of the parts as it is a tad to high. You can find a picture of what it looks like and the offset required I the buffalo thread

6 hours ago, davidy12 said:

I think for 1.1, we'll have to wait a couple of days or two weeks. (That's when the Beta ends)

Currently I have no idea, how long it will take to adapt the mod. I'm on vacation right now and will be able to install and tinker with 1.1 at monday at the earliest ;-) But from what i read until yet the only big changes have to be done for the wheels.

But you are right, that there will be no official release of this mod for 1.1 until KSP 1.1 is released officially. The first reason is to be fair to everyone who has not the opportunity to get the prerelease. Secondly because the prerelease is primarily for bug testers and modders to adapt their mods. There will be many changes so I cannot guarantee that it will work after each update.

BUT for everyone who wants to test an early unstable version, i will try to keep the Github Repo as up to date as possible and inform you once a first test build is available ;-)

Edited by Nils277

On March 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM, ComatoseJedi said:

@Nils277 Okay, great :) . Using the goat wheels on the Buffalo rover, the cut into the floor half way into the floor, while the top scrapes the top of the garage ceiling. I would give you screens, but I never thought you'd go for the idea to make it bigger to accommodate a rover mod. But, as I always say, it never hurts to ask. 

On March 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Rafael acevedo said:

From my previous post I was able to fit a buffalo river inside the hangar. however it requires me to offset some of the parts as it is a tad to high. You can find a picture of what it looks like and the offset required I the buffalo thread

Wondering if you guys want me to post pictures of large Rovers I have been able to fit in the hangar

Is there any chance you're working on a way to see the expandable parts deploy in the VAB? Or even a way to start them deployed? I think that would be great to have. Fantastic mod, by the way! It's completely replaced LLL for my base building needs! :)

EDIT:

Also, what do most people do as far as landing legs for surface bases? Do you just spam legs everywhere to keep the base off the ground or are the collision meshes solid enough that I can trust it to sit there steadily without any legs at all?

Edited by Booots

2 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Wondering if you guys want me to post pictures of large Rovers I have been able to fit in the hangar

It would be entertaining, but I find that your definition of 'fit' differs significantly from mine.  ;)

1 hour ago, Booots said:

Is there any chance you're working on a way to see the expandable parts deploy in the VAB? Or even a way to start them deployed? I think that would be great to have. Fantastic mod, by the way! It's completely replaced LLL for my base building needs! :)

EDIT:

Also, what do most people do as far as landing legs for surface bases? Do you just spam legs everywhere to keep the base off the ground or are the collision meshes solid enough that I can trust it to sit there steadily without any legs at all?

I spam legs everywhere.  It's not about the collision meshes, really - it's about KSP's issues with actually being able to hold a ship in place on the ground, rounding errors, and clipping.  Basically, anytime I come back to visit the base it's going to re-land from a *slightly* different point then where it was before, and having landing legs makes that matter less.

12 hours ago, DStaal said:

It would be entertaining, but I find that your definition of 'fit' differs significantly from mine.  ;)

I will do so, starting taking screenshots today.  My interpretation of fit should have enough overhead clearance to move in and out of the hangar, should be able to be launched inside the hangar, undocked after arrival, driving out without braking any parts, go back in and redock...

So, a little update for you on the compatibility to KSP 1.1:

I have been able to compile the plugin part for for 1.1 and as far as i tested, everything i tested seems to work as expected. I'm currently trying to get the wheels and legs to work, which is a somewhat frustrating trial and error work.

@Rafael acevedo I'm too interested in how you made the rover fit in there :wink:

Edited by Nils277

57 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

So, a little update for you on the compatibility to KSP 1.1:

I have been able to compile the plugin part for for 1.1 and as far as i tested, everything i tested seems to work as expected. I'm currently trying to get the wheels and legs to work, which is a somewhat frustrating trial and error work.

@Rafael acevedo I'm too interested in how you made the rover fit in there :wink:

Will do I started taking a screen shots yesterday, Hopefully I'll start posting today. can I do so here or will you rather have me open another thread? I also remember you mentioning a rober mod, however I can wait for the promised :D ice Kream rover, you just need the take some time off and then focus on 1.1 at your pace, I can wait for the upgrade. Obtw yours is one my 10 must have mods for playing ksp

2 minutes ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Will do I started taking a screen shots yesterday, Hopefully I'll start posting today. can I do so here or will you rather have me open another thread? I also remember you mentioning a rober mod, however I can wait for the promised :D ice Kream rover, you just need the take some time off and then focus on 1.1 at your pace, I can wait for the upgrade. Obtw yours is one my 10 must have mods for playing ksp

Well, i already have some ideas for a rover mod and have already started with some concepts :wink: But i realized that it is really hard to make a rover that fits inside the garage height wise.

Regarding the other rover mods: Are they all too high or is the width also a problem to fit them into the garage?

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Well, i already have some ideas for a rover mod and have already started with some concepts :wink: But i realized that it is really hard to make a rover that fits inside the garage height wise.

Regarding the other rover mods: Are they all too high or is the width also a problem to fit them into the garage?

I have only tried 2 rover mods, and building a rover out of KPBS parts (which i really like to do).  karibu expedition rover and The buffalo rover

Here is what I found out - the Karibu is a non starter it is simply too huge in all directions- however the retractable wheels show promise if they were smaller.

Using KPBS parts you have two choices either set an infrastructure underneath to attach the wheels which makes the rover too tall, or use existing attachment points which makes it too wide

The Buffalo Rover is probably the best compromise I have found, it fits snuggly but with enough side clearance, but it is just a tad to high.  I  was able to solve the issue by offsetting the chasis, which keep its functionality and aesthetics.  surprisingly if i use the herbal foundries medium tracks, it fits perfectly without the need to offset. I f i could recommend a solution it would be to have wheels that hydraulically retract about halfway height wise and can return to full size after leaving the hangar (basically the same type of wheel that are in the karibu, but make it standard wheel size. Below you will find some picts

C3MLPzL.png

This picture shows that the rover as offset has enough vertical clearance, a plus is that you are able to launch with the rover inside

BtZNDBM.png

This picture lets you appreciate side and vertical clearance as seen from the front of the hangar.  Again is a tight space but no different that some of the parking spaces you find in most cities

spXPFVc.png

Rover ready to be uncoupled, notice vertical clearance

VoaLZYo.png

Rover exiting the hangar

VY1WUTJ.png

Rover reentering the hangar front first

LClnZsb.png

All the way inside proof that it can maneuver in and out regardless of orientation

3Vl7HQo.png

going in on reverse to redock

R57tWoR.png

Docking complete

XIElsRC.png

What it looks like otsde

CUdveo3.png

required offset

Edited by Rafael acevedo
fixing pics

3 hours ago, Steel Dragon said:

Just wanted to start by saying how much I love your work. GREAT JOB!!!!

To show my thanx here is some eye candy.
(Not just for building bases makes great stations too)

http://imgur.com/a/M8LVL

Fantastic job, my only critique is that on one of the science modules the telescope gets obscured by the hangar :wink::wink::wink: . Not really can you show the lv to put this giant in orbit

Each section is modular, meaning if I break a part I can detach it and fly up a replacement piece.

As for the delivery system well there are a lot of different versions. As I said it is a modular build so I fly up whatever piece I need at the time. I use a combination of SSTO's and Rockets. (Pics coming)

Edited by Steel Dragon
pics added