[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

Greetings! First, fantastic mod! First-time posting, so hopefully this is the correct spot for such a question - 

Just recently started using KPBS with TAC-LS. TAC-LS no longer requires oxygen on Kerbin/Laythe, so Kerbals no longer consume oxygen. This is causing the Carbon Extractor and Elektron to cease functioning when the oxygen is full, and there is no way to vent excess oxygen. I noticed you updated the Greenhouse so that it can still produce if oxygen is full. Would it be possible to do the same for the Carbon Extractor/Elektron?

Long story short, I'm trying to balance an equation for a self-sustaining, food-surplus base with 5 Kerbals and 1 Greenhouse. The waste from either the Carbon Extractor or Elektron is necessary to feed the Algae farm for fertilizer... 

1 hour ago, OscarJade said:

Yeah...embarrassingly I have a magnetometer that might be sticking...but I would have expected at least some lateral wiggling if that were the only issue. Still, I'll remove it and see.

EDIT: Nope, not the issue. The garage simply won't let me go.

That's very curious.  Sometimes what it takes is turning on and off the brakes.  Other'n that, could you have accidentally attached it via a front node to a middle-of-the-garage node instead of attaching via the decoupler?  I managed to get a Buffalo with a somewhat clipped-in magnetometer out of a K&K Garage, so I'm sure a lynx can.

@Nils277 I've noticed that the KPBS ISRU unit isn't counting for contracts. I was first running into it with another mod's ISRU, then put it together that neither were counting. I've tried making an MM patch to tweak the contract to no effect, and I've tried looking at them compared to the stock ISRU, but can't figure out what's necessarily different, unless the localization changes make the contract unable to count the modded ones. Do you have any ideas?

10 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

@Nils277 I've noticed that the KPBS ISRU unit isn't counting for contracts. I was first running into it with another mod's ISRU, then put it together that neither were counting. I've tried making an MM patch to tweak the contract to no effect, and I've tried looking at them compared to the stock ISRU, but can't figure out what's necessarily different, unless the localization changes make the contract unable to count the modded ones. Do you have any ideas?

Hmm, i thought, i already added it to that type of contracts. Will take a look and add it

On 3.7.2017 at 9:41 PM, OscarJade said:

Yeah...embarrassingly I have a magnetometer that might be sticking...but I would have expected at least some lateral wiggling if that were the only issue. Still, I'll remove it and see.

EDIT: Nope, not the issue. The garage simply won't let me go.

That is really weird. I would try the approach @Krakatoa mentioned by locking and unlocking the wheels. it might be that one pair of them is locked for whatever reason.
Are all the wheels spinning? And are all wheels spinning in the same direction? Maybe some of the wheels spin in the wrong direction and cancel the movement?

If this does not help, can you upload the craft file so i can take a look into it? Maybe i find the reason.

On 3.7.2017 at 10:25 PM, KosmicRay said:

Greetings! First, fantastic mod! First-time posting, so hopefully this is the correct spot for such a question - 

Just recently started using KPBS with TAC-LS. TAC-LS no longer requires oxygen on Kerbin/Laythe, so Kerbals no longer consume oxygen. This is causing the Carbon Extractor and Elektron to cease functioning when the oxygen is full, and there is no way to vent excess oxygen. I noticed you updated the Greenhouse so that it can still produce if oxygen is full. Would it be possible to do the same for the Carbon Extractor/Elektron?

Long story short, I'm trying to balance an equation for a self-sustaining, food-surplus base with 5 Kerbals and 1 Greenhouse. The waste from either the Carbon Extractor or Elektron is necessary to feed the Algae farm for fertilizer... 

Thanks :) I really must have missed this update of TAC and i can understand that it is not good to not be able to have a self sustaining base especially on Kerbin and Laythe.
As far as i remember, dumping excess O2 for the Carbon Extractor and the Elektron causes a slow but constant depletion of oxygen (and/or other resources) on planets that do not have oxygen.
Maybe i can find a way to get around this issue. Not sure how though at the moment.

24 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm, i thought, i already added it to that type of contracts. Will take a look and add it

That is really weird. I would try the approach @Krakatoa mentioned by locking and unlocking the wheels. it might be that one pair of them is locked for whatever reason.
Are all the wheels spinning? And are all wheels spinning in the same direction? Maybe some of the wheels spin in the wrong direction and cancel the movement?

If this does not help, can you upload the craft file so i can take a look into it? Maybe i find the reason.

Thanks :) I really must have missed this update of TAC and i can understand that it is not good to not be able to have a self sustaining base especially on Kerbin and Laythe.
As far as i remember, dumping excess O2 for the Carbon Extractor and the Elektron causes a slow but constant depletion of oxygen (and/or other resources) on planets that do not have oxygen.
Maybe i can find a way to get around this issue. Not sure how though at the moment.

You definitely have it in the config. I can't for the life of me figure out what changed in the coding to make it not work, but I also don't know code much at all. I tried copying yours but rewriting it for the other mod's ISRU to no avail.  Thing is, the same syntax seems to work for letting the appropriate pieces count as a cupola.

39 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

You definitely have it in the config. I can't for the life of me figure out what changed in the coding to make it not work, but I also don't know code much at all. I tried copying yours but rewriting it for the other mod's ISRU to no avail.  Thing is, the same syntax seems to work for letting the appropriate pieces count as a cupola.

The only difference i see is that there are already two stock ISRUs. Maybe the check of Modulemanager for the ISRU does not work when there is more than one in the list already. I will try to find a check that works.

Oh, btw, i'm pretty sure that any changes for the contracts by MM do not have an effect on already accepted contracts but only affect new ones. So it might be that you already found the right solution but it did not affect your contract. 

Edited by Nils277

Just now, Nils277 said:

The only difference i see is that there are already two stock ISRUs. Maybe the check of Modulemanager for the ISRU does not work when more than one ISRU is already in the parts. I will try to find a check that works.

Oh, btw, i'm pretty sure that any changes for the contracts by MM do not have an effect on already accepted contracts but only affect new ones. So it might be that you already found the right solution but it did not affect your contract. 

Hmm. Me thinks that is distinctly possible. Well, I'm pretty sure I had KPBS installed when I accepted the quest, and I didn't get the checkmark when I looked from a base with the KPBS ISRU unit. That I can't check at the moment makes this much more tricky.

6 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Hmm. Me thinks that is distinctly possible. Well, I'm pretty sure I had KPBS installed when I accepted the quest, and I didn't get the checkmark when I looked from a base with the KPBS ISRU unit. That I can't check at the moment makes this much more tricky.

I will try to find a way to check if MM adds the part and play a bit around until a can accept such a contract.

Hi! I'm a noob to Planetary Base Systems and to KIS. Can anyone give me some advice / instructions on flying and building a base? I built a nice base in my VAB. I tried using KIS to store all parts, but when I test the construction procedure once on the launchpad, my engineer is unable to remove a habitat module from a storage container. His own inventory cannot hold it. Is there a way to remove the habitat module directly to the ground? And once I get it in the ground, will he be able to move it around?

Or the way to go is to attach the base modules more or less in a rocket-y fashion, land, then detach and reattach in a base-y fashion? Will my engineer be able to move them around?

Also, even if I fly my central hub (not stored) and land it, how can I then attach it to a cement pylon?

Thanks!

Also, I use the mod XenonISRU for having my ISRU converters produce Xenon, and here I share a CFG to add that capability to Planetary Base System's converter, too. Requires ModuleManager.

I have a contract that requires my base to have a Cupola. Can anyone help me determine what module/text to add to PlanetaryBase's Cupola so that my contract recognizes it?

50 minutes ago, dronkit said:

Also, I use the mod XenonISRU for having my ISRU converters produce Xenon, and here I share a CFG to add that capability to Planetary Base System's converter, too. Requires ModuleManager.

I have a contract that requires my base to have a Cupola. Can anyone help me determine what module/text to add to PlanetaryBase's Cupola so that my contract recognizes it?

If you have multiple Kerbals around the object, their carry weight gets higher, so you could assemble that way.  I usually launch mine up and use either KPBS' landing engines or another light option and land them in place.  It comes with wheels and legs, and I use those to move into place and dock up the various pieces. I'm not sure on attachin to the pylon.  I think you have to be building it in situ for it to work properly.  I tried to slide one under an already existing base and just the act of attaching it to the ground threw the base 1000 feet up or so. The KPBS planetary cupola should already count, at least it does in my game.

3 hours ago, sananeabim said:

Just recently updated my KSP to give it a go after a long while. Updated all the mods. Unfortunately, KPBS gives this error when I try to load an existing spacecraft with KPBS elements in it.

http://imgur.com/a/rksgP

Any ideas?

Hmm, it seems that you might have installed KPBS on a slightly wrong diretory.
Can you make sure that the directory looks like this:

6cIDmET.png

There shouldn't be a GameData directory in GameData directory. The paht to the mods must be: Kerbal Space Program/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc

On 7.7.2017 at 6:21 PM, dronkit said:

The cupola will already be recognized as fulfillng the contract. At least when the contract was accepted after you installed KPBS.

1 hour ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm, it seems that you might have installed KPBS on a slightly wrong diretory.
Can you make sure that the directory looks like this:

6cIDmET.png

There shouldn't be a GameData directory in GameData directory. The paht to the mods must be: Kerbal Space Program/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc

It actually is exactly like that.

http://imgur.com/a/ZOCuI

By the way, when I actually remove the mod, I get a message lot longer, stating that all parts are missing. In its current state, it seems like only these 4 parts missing. There are some vehicles which contains a few parts from this mod (obviously not the ones listed), which are currently loadable. It feels like these particular parts are changed, deleted, or renamed (basically, not actually existing anymore, as they were) somewhere in development, so that my game cannot access them anymore. My save is around a year old. Or more..

(Before asking, I tried to reinstall it a few times, downloaded it from different sources etc. Parts are being shown at assembly buildings, and I can build new vehicles using them. The thing is, there are so many bases and saved stuff that I'd like to not lose, and in this current state, I can't even edit them and remove the missing parts, so.. Asking kind of too much, I know.)

Edited by sananeabim

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@sananeabim: you got multiple Module Manager dll inside GameData - prohibited!

Only use the latest that fits your version of KSP.

Oh wow, didn't knew that was an issue. Never had trouble regarding this too.

Removed the older ones. Sadly, it didn't resolve my particular problem..

15 minutes ago, sananeabim said:

Oh wow, didn't knew that was an issue. Never had trouble regarding this too.

Removed the older ones. Sadly, it didn't resolve my particular problem..

Ah, i know what the problem is. You still have the old garage parts that were replaced a long time ago by garages that can hold e.g. the Buffalo Rover. They are not in the mod anymore. But there is a link in the OP to download them: Deprecated parts. The parts will be available when you install them.

1 hour ago, Nils277 said:

Ah, i know what the problem is. You still have the old garage parts that were replaced a long time ago by garages that can hold e.g. the Buffalo Rover. They are not in the mod anymore. But there is a link in the OP to download them: Deprecated parts. The parts will be available when you install them.

Oh, that probably had something to do with it. However, I can now load up my old saves, but it got even messier. Vehicles / Buildings are unselectable (from any part), and most of them are missing. A 815 part demo I was using to check how it would look when completed, almost 4/5 of it is missing (3 garages on the far end was symetrical with the near end for example, although they were exactly the same, near 3 is missing.).

http://imgur.com/a/YXHGe

Before; (You may see why I am so concerned.)

http://imgur.com/a/r6P55

Well, I guess I need to start a clean slate, if you have no more ideas. Big thanks for trying though.

Edited by sananeabim

On 7/3/2017 at 10:25 PM, KosmicRay said:

Interesting... I didn't know that it doesn't need O2 on Laythe. Does it detect Oxygen= true automatically? (I've got another modded planet that I'm about to send kerbals too, which has an O2 atmosphere). I hope it doesn't because O2 containing doesn't = breathable by default.

anyway, if you're not against modding a mod:

GameData>PlanetaryBaseInc>ModSupport>Parts>LifeSupport> Container_Elektron or Container_CarbonExtractor

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            ResourceName = Oxygen
            Ratio = 0.010281226
            DumpExcess = false
        }

Simply change that to true.

You could also make water drills produce waste water instead of pure water, so that they have to go through a purifier, and then waste is produced (and again change dump excess to true)

For my part, I modded this mod so that algae farms can also convert ore into waste, and they don't need ore to make fertilizer - I also tweaked some other values so that closed cycle life support is possible with just greenhouses, algae farms, and water purifiers. (If they produce food fast enough for 1 kerbal, they should also produce O2 fast enough for 1 kerbal). Greenhouse mass was increased a bit, but surface bases are still desirable to produce excess food/water/O2. In my game all I need to produce excess is water and ore, and nothing is needed to maintain kerbal nearly indefnitiely (with losses due to rounding errors, but easily making supplies last 1000x longer) with just 1 container greenhouse per kerbal, 1 algae farm per 3 greenhouses, and water filters.

5 hours ago, Nils277 said:

The cupola will already be recognized as fulfillng the contract. At least when the contract was accepted after you installed KPBS.

Thanks! Indeed, the contract was accepted before PBS was intalled.

2 hours ago, sananeabim said:

Oh, that probably had something to do with it. However, I can now load up my old saves, but it got even messier. Vehicles / Buildings are unselectable (from any part), and most of them are missing. A 815 part demo I was using to check how it would look when completed, almost 4/5 of it is missing (3 garages on the far end was symetrical with the near end for example, although they were exactly the same, near 3 is missing.).

http://imgur.com/a/YXHGe

Before; (You may see why I am so concerned.)

http://imgur.com/a/r6P55

Well, I guess I need to start a clean slate, if you have no more ideas. Big thanks for trying though.

Oh, I know what causes this. I renamed some stack nodes from parts, because their name caused KSP to think that there are multiple nodes with the same name, which cause some weird bugs. I renamed them and wrote a script that updated the saves to use the correct nodes. I removed it in one of the last updates because I thought it was not needed anymore. As far as I know this only affect saved crafts that are loaded in the editor. Already deployed crafts should not be affected. 

I will upload an alternative dll with the script tomorrow. This should fix the problem. 

@sananeabim I feel like you're kinda lucky the game is loading at all.  Your picture of your gamedata folder has some mods that haven't been updated in 2+ years.  Some of them, particularly pure part mods, should mostly work okay, but I don't know that a 1.2.2 or earlier build of mechjeb or firespitter will work properly.

18 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Interesting... I didn't know that it doesn't need O2 on Laythe. Does it detect Oxygen= true automatically? (I've got another modded planet that I'm about to send kerbals too, which has an O2 atmosphere). I hope it doesn't because O2 containing doesn't = breathable by default.

anyway, if you're not against modding a mod:

GameData>PlanetaryBaseInc>ModSupport>Parts>LifeSupport> Container_Elektron or Container_CarbonExtractor

Simply change that to true.

You could also make water drills produce waste water instead of pure water, so that they have to go through a purifier, and then waste is produced (and again change dump excess to true)

For my part, I modded this mod so that algae farms can also convert ore into waste, and they don't need ore to make fertilizer - I also tweaked some other values so that closed cycle life support is possible with just greenhouses, algae farms, and water purifiers. (If they produce food fast enough for 1 kerbal, they should also produce O2 fast enough for 1 kerbal). Greenhouse mass was increased a bit, but surface bases are still desirable to produce excess food/water/O2. In my game all I need to produce excess is water and ore, and nothing is needed to maintain kerbal nearly indefnitiely (with losses due to rounding errors, but easily making supplies last 1000x longer) with just 1 container greenhouse per kerbal, 1 algae farm per 3 greenhouses, and water filters.

Your suggestion to "mod-the-mod" is exactly what I needed. To answer your question on Oxygen checks, this is from the TAC-LS release notes:

v0.13.1

• Update for KSP 1.3.
  • Localization support added. All languages in English for now. Other Language contributions welcome! :)
  • Unloaded Vessel Resource processing. TAC LS now processes Life Support resources for unloaded vessels.
  • Fix Issue with Electric Charge not being calculated and reported correctly.
  • Now checks if vessel is on or above a body that has an atmosphere that contains oxygen and allows the windows to be opened, or vents opened (if enough EC) to use the air from the atmosphere instead of on-board Oxygen.

@KosmicRay

I found a solution to that problem with TAC-LS:
There will be a toggle button for the Elektron and the Carbon Extractor which can be used to toggle whether excess oxygen can be dumped or not. You will just have to enable/disable this depending on which planet you are.

PS: if needed i can also extend this to other resources!

Edited by Nils277