[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

(Note: I'm running in 1.3.1, so if this has been added since, I'm sorry for not knowing)

One thing that I've noticed about this mod is that there are no adapters/docks for your Lynx rover system. While the Lynx rover has two docking ports - the rear airlock docking port and the side docking ports - there's no good way to get it to dock with a base. I've tried clipping some corridors together to make a sort of tube going up for that rear airlock, but it never really looked good.

It'd be really nice to have some dedicated parts to dock the lynx rovers with the base, in case we don't/can't use a garage (for example, having attachments that make rover too tall), or if we need to transfer tourists (since tourists can't EVA), etc. While, sure, I can sort of replicate this using KAS/KIS pipes, I have a hard time picturing tourists squeezing through a 0.1m pipe.

Additionally, (I'm not sure if you've added this since 1.3.1) it'd be nice to have a tweakscale patch for the garages. I've tried making my own, but I'm rather terrible at making config files, and I never got it work.
Even better would be if you made different sizes for garages, having adapters for larger ones. Perhaps you could even have a hangar part, which is just like an over sized garage that we can fit spaceplanes in.

Again, I'm running 1.3.1, and while I haven't seen any mention of the aforementioned rover docks or tweakscale patches in the changelog, you may have already added them without my knowledge. If so, I apologize for wasting your time.

I really do love your mods. The stockalike look is just amazing, and I use your parts for all sorts of things, from ground bases (as intended) to stations, to even starships (screenshots below). Keep up the great work!

Spoiler

screenshot168.png?width=809&height=456

screenshot528.png?width=809&height=456

screenshot3.png?width=809&height=456

21 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Yes, but when I try to grab it, it detaches from the bottom of the base

have you tried the to do the same thing withe the base from KIS/KAS? Does this happen there too? The part uses the very same modules to work exactly like the ones shipped from KIS/KAS. I'm also not quite shure what exactly you meant, so it might be that i misunderstand you, screenshoots might help to illustrate the issue ;) 

20 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

(Note: I'm running in 1.3.1, so if this has been added since, I'm sorry for not knowing)

One thing that I've noticed about this mod is that there are no adapters/docks for your Lynx rover system. While the Lynx rover has two docking ports - the rear airlock docking port and the side docking ports - there's no good way to get it to dock with a base. I've tried clipping some corridors together to make a sort of tube going up for that rear airlock, but it never really looked good.

It'd be really nice to have some dedicated parts to dock the lynx rovers with the base, in case we don't/can't use a garage (for example, having attachments that make rover too tall), or if we need to transfer tourists (since tourists can't EVA), etc. While, sure, I can sort of replicate this using KAS/KIS pipes, I have a hard time picturing tourists squeezing through a 0.1m pipe.

Additionally, (I'm not sure if you've added this since 1.3.1) it'd be nice to have a tweakscale patch for the garages. I've tried making my own, but I'm rather terrible at making config files, and I never got it work.
Even better would be if you made different sizes for garages, having adapters for larger ones. Perhaps you could even have a hangar part, which is just like an over sized garage that we can fit spaceplanes in.

Again, I'm running 1.3.1, and while I haven't seen any mention of the aforementioned rover docks or tweakscale patches in the changelog, you may have already added them without my knowledge. If so, I apologize for wasting your time.

I really do love your mods. The stockalike look is just amazing, and I use your parts for all sorts of things, from ground bases (as intended) to stations, to even starships (screenshots below). Keep up the great work!

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot168.png?width=809&height=456

screenshot528.png?width=809&height=456

screenshot3.png?width=809&height=456

The side docking port of the Lynx is actually able to adjust its height (from the right click menu) to also be able to dock to bases that are lower than the rover:

dhf7zee.png

Edited by Nils277

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen a few reactor questions on the last few pages, but not this particular one: I'm having trouble with the nuclear reactor and TACLS in that the reactor doesn't work in the background / is not recognized as a running power source.

I haven't even built a base yet, but doing test runs with the reactor on a station, I can leave the station only for a short while before TAC tells me that the station runs out of power. Once I switch to the vessel, it's all good -- but I can leave it alone only for as long as the battery lasts.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with a reactor running at less than 100% output, and consuming proportionally less fuel.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:57 PM, Laie said:

I've seen a few reactor questions on the last few pages, but not this particular one: I'm having trouble with the nuclear reactor and TACLS in that the reactor doesn't work in the background / is not recognized as a running power source.

I haven't even built a base yet, but doing test runs with the reactor on a station, I can leave the station only for a short while before TAC tells me that the station runs out of power. Once I switch to the vessel, it's all good -- but I can leave it alone only for as long as the battery lasts.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with a reactor running at less than 100% output, and consuming proportionally less fuel.

I heard already about that problem. But there is nothing a know that i can do about it. It is a problem from TAC not recognizing some converter as EC producer. I'm not sure but i think the problem will also occur for fuel cells and reactors from other mods. It would be somehting that has to be added to TAC. And i think it is a lot of work that has to be done.

@Nils277 Thanks, I guess I'll just rewrite it as a TACLS converter for the time being. That way there won't be any heat, and I don't think it will power down unless electricity is 100% full, but, well, I can't think of anything else.

1 minute ago, Laie said:

@Nils277 Thanks, I guess I'll just rewrite it as a TACLS converter for the time being. That way there won't be any heat, and I don't think it will power down unless electricity is 100% full, but, well, I can't think of anything else.

Now that you say it, i'm pretty sure that the other converter are switched to TACLS converter when it is installed. Will take a look at the code and might do this change for the reactor too.

@Nils277 according to my MM ConfigCache, all your items are using ModuleKPBSConverter. Or are you talking about an actual behind-the-scenes change?

Edit to add:

Making it a TACLS, or even a stock resource converter, both doesn't work. Then again, stock fuel cells do not work, either, so I guess it's really a problem with TACLS.

Edit once more: The only power source that's considered in the background is ModuleGenerator (eg, RTG). Nothing else works. I'm now experimenting with turning off background processing, but that's nothing I need to bother you with.

Last edit (I promise): now that I've seen what it looks like with background processing turned off, I'm pretty confident that this is not the issue. Background processing seems to work nicely, with your converters or all the others I've tried -- or at any rate, the resource amounts are fine whenever I visit the vessel. In comparison, results are noticeably better and more sensible when background processing is on.

The problem is that TACLS doesn't adjust it's predictions, that's all.

Edited by Laie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please, developers, makes  interior for buildings which has a windows! Because when I do transporent shader, I see the inner walls  as transparent. And can you make a separate mesh for windows of building not having it?

Look at this

KSP_x64_2018_09_21_19_12_08_22.jpg

Edited by alexus

On 9/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, krrishtheamazing said:

hi nils how come its not working in 1.4.5 i try to use it in sandbox mode doesnt work no parts apper

It is working in 1.4.5. This problem is very well known. It happens when you install the mod into the wrong folder. The folder has to be: Kerbal Space Program/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc

6 hours ago, alexus said:

Please, developers, makes  interior for buildings which has a windows! Because when I do transporent shader, I see the inner walls  as transparent. And can you make a separate mesh for windows of building not having it?

Look at this

KSP_x64_2018_09_21_19_12_08_22.jpg

All parts with windows have an interior. It is visible when you switch into IVA or have JSI-ATP installed which adds transparend window functionality. You can't just make windows transparend and expect the IVA to be visible. You'd have to add the IVA model via code to be visible. Adding the IVA model to the external model to be always visible is is not really sensible. If you want to have the IVA visible with your own transparent windows, use JSI-ATP or look at it's code to accomplish what you want.

24 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

It is working in 1.4.5. This problem is very well known. It happens when you install the mod into the wrong folder. The folder has to be: Kerbal Space Program/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc

No it is not. The path of folder is correctly.

Maybe will you  make texture into buldings, at least? You can impose a texture inside of the model so that it is not transparent from the inside.

10 hours ago, alexus said:

No it is not. The path of folder is correctly.

Maybe will you  make texture into buldings, at least? You can impose a texture inside of the model so that it is not transparent from the inside.

What you quoted was meant for @krrishtheamazing  who had problems with missing parts.

It is not simply putting a texture inside. The model would have to be changed with many new triangles to have an inside. I don't see a use in it when there is a plain texture inside compared to opaque windows. You will have tje exact same Problem on all parts, even Stock. Why don't you use JSI Advanced Transparent Pods for transparent windows?

10 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@krrishtheamazing

It is not simply putting a texture inside. The model would have to be changed with many new triangles to have an inside. I don't see a use in it when there is a plain texture inside compared to opaque windows. 

It is only for outside viewer through transparent windows. So it will be more realistic.

Below it is with JSI Advanced Transparent Pods

KSP_x64_2018_09_23_03_40_08_00.jpg
KSP_x64_2018_09_23_03_46_46_60.jpg

Edited by alexus

@alexus I don't think that it will look more realistic with just a plain (gray) texture from the inside but will simply significantly increase the complexity of the parts. I simply have no time at all to do such a work at the moment. 

The IVAs with JSI-ATP should'nt look like the ones you posted. Will try to look at it and fix the bug once i get time.

Update to 1.6.5

Changelog:

General:

• Recompile for KSP 1.4.5

Enhancements:

• The nuclear reactor does not stop when EC if full

Mod Support:

• Corrected Hydrogen output of elektron for TAC-LS  

Bug Fixes:

• All converters now show what they are converting
  • Fixed IVA of the Central Hub for JSI-ATP
  • Fixed Tech-Tree node when USI-LS and CTT are installed at the same time
  • Fixed some typos in the english KSPedia

Download:

oYvtZpW.pngUVVt0OP.pnglMOxt2k.png

@alexus The iva with JSIATP should work now. 

I'm having a small problem with the flexible corridors.  They seem to force an orientation on the parts being connected such that sometimes I end up with connected modules being held off the ground. I've also found that if the landing gear is extended when a flexible corridor is linked it's a guaranteed to explode KPBS landing gear somewhere in the base. I only link when all the components are resting on the ground.

L04WIAc.png

It happened when I connected the large water tower looking tank in the middle of the base. It replaced the command hub part as the heaviest piece component in the base. Prior to connecting the tank all the components appeared to lay flush with the ground. Most of the base is on a 0.6 degree slope, but the large tank is on a slight rise, so when the downhill components were attached they were lifted off the ground.  I tried multiple times disconnecting various parts and changing the order they were attached without any success. I tried with ground tethers on or off.

bqtUtqy.jpg

I would also suggest looking at the new KAS 1.0 Beta code for the RTS-1 resource transfer unit.  Somehow @IgorZ has come up with a way for a flexible connection that remains flexible after connection, provided you don't have autostruts to landing gear locking connected vessels in place.

12 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm having a small problem with the flexible corridors.  They seem to force an orientation on the parts being connected such that sometimes I end up with connected modules being held off the ground. I've also found that if the landing gear is extended when a flexible corridor is linked it's a guaranteed to explode KPBS landing gear somewhere in the base. I only link when all the components are resting on the ground.

[SNIP]

It happened when I connected the large water tower looking tank in the middle of the base. It replaced the command hub part as the heaviest piece component in the base. Prior to connecting the tank all the components appeared to lay flush with the ground. Most of the base is on a 0.6 degree slope, but the large tank is on a slight rise, so when the downhill components were attached they were lifted off the ground.  I tried multiple times disconnecting various parts and changing the order they were attached without any success. I tried with ground tethers on or off.

[SNIP]

I would also suggest looking at the new KAS 1.0 Beta code for the RTS-1 resource transfer unit.  Somehow @IgorZ has come up with a way for a flexible connection that remains flexible after connection, provided you don't have autostruts to landing gear locking connected vessels in place.

I'm afraid that i can't do much about some parts being held off the ground. The flexible corridor is just the hose from the KAS with a different model, all the work of connecting the parts is done by KAS alone. There is nothing i can think of that i can do from my side.
I will take a look at the landing legs though, they got more fragile when Squad updated/changed things on the wheels again.

Maybe both of your problems are caused by the physics easing of landed crafts. It changed in the last updates and might cause some side effects.

I will take a look at KAS 1.0 when i have some time. A flexible version of the corridor might really be a cool idea.  

@Dutchbook  KIS & KAS 1.0 (not the original 0.6.4 KAS) for EVA assembly/disassembly and the ability to run a hose out to landers to refuel. I ship base components to the Mun as a flyable vessel, once landed and positioned I'll use KIS/KAS to strip the flight components off and connect it into the base. To me this game is not playable without KIS/KAS.

USI-LS adds the life support mechanism to my game and  pieces for greenhouses, recyclers and resource containers, but I did patch the hell out of most of the USI-LS parts to allow surface attachments and to fix some other gripes.

I have Tweakscale, but I only use it as a last resort when I just can't work with the parts I have. It could be I only use it on odd shapes instead of cylinders. The big storage tank are 5m domes bumped up to 7.5m. For the next one I think I'll create one with a patch file. The antenna on top of the big storage tank is just a Communotron-16 scaled up to the limit of 400%. Again I wanted it bigger.

In the screenshots most of the mod parts (other than KPBS) come from the Modular Fuel Tank Expansion. This mod is rarely mentioned, but I think it has one of the best varieties of tank parts out there. It has some radial fuel tanks I like for engine/landing strut mount locations. Spherical tanks are just two of the domes from this pack stuck together. I use this along with Modular Fuel Tanks for tank content switching if needed. (Links Below) I think MFT is cleaner than IFS and doesn't try to add any parts. 

I also recommend Suicidal Insanity's Stockalike Expansions (mk2, mk3, mining). Unlike some other "stockalike" mods I think these are actually styled to look like stock parts. The Mining Expansion has an excellent large vessel retractable landing leg (on the big tanker below) and different sized ore containers, converters and drills. The Mk2 expansion I use for rovers. The Mk3 adds some heavy RCS thrusters (also on the tanker) and radial attach tanks.

Missing History adds variant paint schemes to some of the 1.25m parts and expands on the 1.875m parts selection.

I do have the Near Future electrical and solar packs, but I don't think any of the parts are visible here except maybe some batteries. The other Near Future packs drift too far from stock to me without adding features I've needed.

Aviation Lights are used to add the red beacon lights on the storage tank. A design constraint I impose on myself is all probe cores/RGUs get an amber always on light on the front panel. This started with some of the probe controlled landers where I couldn't tell which side was which. Stock lights are used for general illumination around the base, I hate for my Kerbals to wander around in the dark. As soon as I possibly can I ship nuclear reactors to bases to quit worrying about power. You'll notice there are some solar panels scattered around but all the ones on the base are retracted. Reactors also get green lights around them to give a "radioactive" glow around them.

Last night I got around to hauling gas. You can see a Kerbal below the tanker where she's just hooked up the refueling hose. 

BHesxH4.jpg

I've included the links for these two mods because they are too easy to confuse. Everything else is easy enough to search for and it's all available on CKAN.

Edited by Tonka Crash

On 9/26/2018 at 12:07 AM, Nils277 said:

I will take a look at KAS 1.0 when i have some time. A flexible version of the corridor might really be a cool idea.  

Feel free to ping me in PM if you need any help. I'm a fan of your mod and would love to help migrating it to KAS 1.0. Note, that the bug that forces the flexible connections to be rigid. It's already fixed and the new version is on its way.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Tonka Crash said:

L04WIAc.png

bqtUtqy.jpg

Wow where did you get that water tower dude? I want it, that's too friggin cool.