[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

6 hours ago, Aluminator said:

Ahhh finaly my a picture of my MunStation at the Neil Armstring memorial site. Thanks to your mod and KJR i'm going to upgrade and extend it this week. Without KJR extending my base is impossible. It will wobble itself apart after connecting more base-parts.

Have you tried turning on autostrutting and rigid connections? (enable it in the KSP settings menu and I think the option is called advanced tweakables... or something similar. Then you can turn on those options in each part's context menu)

Love this mod, but I've found a bit of a problem with it...  The garage parts that allow attached landing legs will occasionally (read: almost always) cause the gear attached to them to think that they're stowed inside the bay instead of attached to the outside.  The door in particular seems to have a big issue with this.

17 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Have you tried turning on autostrutting and rigid connections? (enable it in the KSP settings menu and I think the option is called advanced tweakables... or something similar. Then you can turn on those options in each part's context menu)

Thanks Starwaster gonna try his. I only have to find out witch way of strutting is best, but I think strutting to grandparent part is best because it sounds like it needs strutting :D:D:D

Edited by Aluminator

Nils

Thank you for your great work.  But if you are accepting suggestions, here is what I would like to see.

1.  A spacer part to be able to match different modules ie when you use the lab or the greenhouse in length .  I have tried this out and I have found that the unmanned control module is exactly the right length, so we can use this as a basis, take all the C2 aspects out and just leave it as a structural part. 

2. auto leveling legs, to level the base in uneven terrain, not enough to make it unbalanced but how about a no more than 5 degree level. Mobile homes do this today so the technology already exist.  It can also be an action group that says level 

Thanks for taking my humble requests

On October 24, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Tarheel1999 said:

Have you looked at the first post (OP)?  There are a bunch of image galleries and linked videos. They might give you some ideas. 

Yes, I figured this out! The day I was posting the images wouldn't load for me. Then I watched some videos and it looks like I can basically build them, fly them over and then can be driven around to attach to each other. It'll be some time before I get there, still have a lot to figure out but these bases look very promising. Thanks.

Edited by Kerbital

On 25/10/2016 at 8:09 PM, Aluminator said:

Ahhh finaly my a picture of my MunStation at the Neil Armstring memorial site. Thanks to your mod and KJR i'm going to upgrade and extend it this week. Without KJR extending my base is impossible. It will wobble itself apart after connecting more base-parts.

Just started to build my Munar outpost few days ago... Aaand guess what? I chosed Neil's memorial site too!) You pic reminded me that i totally forgot to bring some illumination for monument:D

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

I have this strange bug, pbs parts loosing stack nodes during editing in the VAB. This can also happen on a mission when KIS/KAS work is done. Anyone else?

It's not specific to this mod. That's a stock bug. Reload the craft.

11 hours ago, SkyRender said:

Love this mod, but I've found a bit of a problem with it...  The garage parts that allow attached landing legs will occasionally (read: almost always) cause the gear attached to them to think that they're stowed inside the bay instead of attached to the outside.  The door in particular seems to have a big issue with this.

Thanks for the report. Do you attach the K&K Attachable Landing Gear directly on the garage or do you have the K&K "Bigfoot" Low Profile Landing-Leg between garage and wheel?

9 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

1.  A spacer part to be able to match different modules ie when you use the lab or the greenhouse in length .  I have tried this out and I have found that the unmanned control module is exactly the right length, so we can use this as a basis, take all the C2 aspects out and just leave it as a structural part. 

2. auto leveling legs, to level the base in uneven terrain, not enough to make it unbalanced but how about a no more than 5 degree level. Mobile homes do this today so the technology already exist.  It can also be an action group that says level 

A spacer might be a good idea. In fact it could also be a smaller version of the fuel-tank. This gives the part a bit more use that just being there to make bases look more beautiful.

The auto leveling legs would be very difficult. To be honest i don't really know if this is actually possible using the new wheel system. Do you know any mod that managed to get this working in 1.2 or 1.1? 

Edited by Nils277

I will post a couple of pics using the control module as a spacer, although a smaller fuel tank sound great. As for auto leveling I remember a mod that did this on .90 or . 25 ( kerbokatz industries mods currently not maintained)

Edited by Rafael acevedo

On 10/25/2016 at 9:04 PM, Starwaster said:

Tried it did not work downloaded even version of kJR problem fixed

46 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Thanks for the report. Do you attach the K&K Attachable Landing Gear directly on the garage or do you have the K&K "Bigfoot" Low Profile Landing-Leg between garage and wheel?

It was the attachable landing gear part specifically, placed on the attachment points meant for landing legs/gear.  I didn't test it for the landing leg options, but it definitely has a persistent issue with the landing gear part.  It may have something to do with the rotational profile I had it in as well: the garage was at a slight angle relative to the main craft since it was on one of three symmetrical docking ports holding three separate base components.  Whatever the case, it was the left side that always gave the "part is stowed" error.  The right side stopped giving that error when I did a remove-and-replace operation on it.  In the end I bypassed the issue with Cubic Octagonal Struts to get the wheels to sit slightly away from the garage.

Yesterday I found a bug that K&K planetary lab in not present in my VAB parts (I checked all categories). I have lots of other mods installed, so this might not be a bug in PBS mod. Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Edited by raptor_xxl

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

The auto leveling legs would be very difficult. To be honest i don't really know if this is actually possible using the new wheel system. Do you know any mod that managed to get this working in 1.2 or 1.1?

There used to be the AutoBalancingLandingLeg by @SpaceTiger, but it is not maintained anymore.

See here: KerboKatz - SmallUtilities

3 hours ago, raptor_xxl said:

Yesterday I hound a bug that K&K planetary lab in not present in my VAB parts (I checked all categories). I have lots of other mods installed, so this might not be a bug in PBS mod. Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Does it appear again when you restart KSP? Shoule be in the Science Category.
Are you playing career, science of sandbox? If you play career or sandbox, it might get locked again when you install CTT. (Because many parts are moved to other TechTree nodes) 

4 hours ago, SkyRender said:

It was the attachable landing gear part specifically, placed on the attachment points meant for landing legs/gear.  I didn't test it for the landing leg options, but it definitely has a persistent issue with the landing gear part.  It may have something to do with the rotational profile I had it in as well: the garage was at a slight angle relative to the main craft since it was on one of three symmetrical docking ports holding three separate base components.  Whatever the case, it was the left side that always gave the "part is stowed" error.  The right side stopped giving that error when I did a remove-and-replace operation on it.  In the end I bypassed the issue with Cubic Octagonal Struts to get the wheels to sit slightly away from the garage.

Yeah, figured what the reason is. A small part of the Gear pokes inside the Garage, which makes the game think it is inside. Will try to adjust the garages to aviod this problem.

4 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

I will post a couple of pics using the control module as a spacer, although a smaller fuel tank sound great. As for auto leveling I remember a mod that did this on .90 or . 25 ( kerbokatz industries mods currently not maintained)

Yeah, i guess its maintenance was stopped because with the new wheel-system you would basically have to reinvent the wheel (as in write your own wheel system) because we do not have access to source to make the relavant changes. And just using having a parts that just has an extend animation that can be tweaked is not a reasonable replacement for a real landing-leg. 

9 minutes ago, Fendrin said:

Do you have a link to its bugtracker entry?

I think I have found what is going wrong and know how to workaround it.

That would be really good news if this bug can be fixed! I read as similar error report every few weeks :wink: Don't know where it is in the bucktracker though :( 

Edited by Nils277

8 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Yeah, i guess its maintenance was stopped because with the new wheel-system you would basically have to reinvent the wheel (as in write your own wheel system) because we do not have access to source to make the relavant changes. And just using having a parts that just has an extend animation that can be tweaked is not a reasonable replacement for a real landing-leg. 

Browsing around internet found a you tube video of someone who did something similar using infernal robotics. so the landing leg is basically a variable length actuator. Levelling would be manual instead of automatic....

Edited by Rafael acevedo

2 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

That would be really good news if this bug can be fixed! I read as similar error report every few weeks :wink: Don't know where it is in the bucktracker though :( 

Please have a look at this part.cfg snippet:

node_stack_outer_starboard = -10, -7.2, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2
   node_stack_inner_starboard = -9.42, -7.2, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2

Some c# code I wrote debug logging the id of the stack nodes revealed they are both sharing the id "starboard". Renaming them to "node_stack_outerStarboard" resulted in unique stack node ids and solved all the problems I had with the part. I have seen that the parts in pbs I have troubles with use the same non working name scheme for the stack nodes.

1 hour ago, raptor_xxl said:

Restarting didn't help, I play Career and I have CTT installed, but on the tech tree it is present

In which node do you see it as unlocked? In CTT is is placed in Long Term Science Tech. You may still see it in the Advanced Exploration when you have unlocked it and installed CTT afterwards. This is a bug in stock KSP because it kees unlocked parts in their old Node in the Techtree although they are now in a different one. The Science Lab should be available once you unlock Long Term Science Tech

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

Please have a look at this part.cfg snippet:

node_stack_outer_starboard = -10, -7.2, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2
   node_stack_inner_starboard = -9.42, -7.2, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2

Some c# code I wrote debug logging the id of the stack nodes revealed they are both sharing the id "starboard". Renaming them to "node_stack_outerStarboard" resulted in unique stack node ids and solved all the problems I had with the part. I have seen that the parts in pbs I have troubles with use the same non working name scheme for the stack nodes.

Oh thanks, never would have figured that this may be the problem.
To be honest i am in a lose-lose situation now. :huh:

The two options i have are:

1. Rename all the stack nodes to the "good" naming scheme. This does break all existing crafts though. From experience i know that renaming a stack node causes the game to glitch extremely when loading an already launched craft.
  2. Keep the nodes of the names but accept that many won't be able to remove and reattach parts to a craft.

The only option that i see which would really solve the issue would be a fix/tweak from Squad by either allowing such names or adding a check that renames nodes that share the same name. (But i suspect this would also break all crafts using the old names).

1 hour ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Browsing around internet found a you tube video of someone who did something similar using infernal robotics. so the landing leg is basically a variable length actuator. Levelling would be manual instead of automatic....

Will think about it :wink: 

2 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

1. Rename all the stack nodes to the "good" naming scheme. This does break all existing crafts though. From experience i know that renaming a stack node causes the game to glitch extremely when loading an already launched craft.
  2. Keep the nodes of the names but accept that many won't be able to remove and reattach parts to a craft.

The only option that i see which would really solve the issue would be a fix/tweak from Squad by either allowing such names or adding a check that renames nodes that share the same name. (But i suspect this would also break all crafts using the old names).

Squad should fix it in the backend and release a 1.2.1 soon. Your mod is not the only with that problem.

But first it needs confirmed. Can someone reproduce my claims?

3 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

In which node do you see it as unlocked? In CTT is is placed in Long Term Science Tech. You may still see it in the Advanced Exploration when you have unlocked it and installed CTT afterwards. This is a bug in stock KSP because it kees unlocked parts in their old Node in the Techtree although they are now in a different one. The Science Lab should be available once you unlock Long Term Science Tech

I see it in the Advanced Exploration, I installed CTT recently, thanks for clearing this out :)

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

I kept browsing and found that roverduse also did something similar on his konstruction mod.... you also did it with the garage Doors,  still not automatic but better than none ... thanks for considering it

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

There's actually a third option: take option #1 and code a tool that goes through a designated save file and renames all instances of the old part names to the new part names.  Then put in bold colored text in the next update "You need to run the PBS Repair Tool on your existing saves that use Planetary Base Systems parts, or your bases might break!".