[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

23 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@Starwaster Good find! You are right. I just looked at the loaded dlls and searched for any "[EXC"  and only saw that the dll from KPBS was missing. Weird that a DLL that can't be loaded is only mentioned as an error. I would think that this is something more severe. 

So yeah, @progressiveMonkey it seems that the DLL is way out of date, it is actually for KSP 1.1.2 way back from June 2016.
Oh btw, do you by any chance also have problems with the B9PartSwitch or USITools or others? There are multiple errors for an "UnauthorizedAccessException" for these dlls so they might not be able to load or save some of their settings. 

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll try reinstalling all of these. Thanks also for the help with understanding what the log file actually means :-) 

19 hours ago, DStaal said:

taking into account that docking in KSP isn't really designed for bases/rovers

How is docking in KSP not designed for bases or rovers? If that is true, then docking in KSP isn't designed for ships in orbit, either.

Really, landed docking is more intuitive than orbital docking because the target is held steady by the ground. Not only that, but you have many more options for getting the two docking ports lined up.

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

How is docking in KSP not designed for bases or rovers? If that is true, then docking in KSP isn't designed for ships in orbit, either.

Really, landed docking is more intuitive than orbital docking because the target is held steady by the ground. Not only that, but you have many more options for getting the two docking ports lined up.

It's that 'held steady' bit that's the problem, actually.  KSP requires parts to be precisely aligned in five axis (by stock - there are features to require full six axis alignment, but stock doesn't use them) to dock - and attempts to help by giving the docking ports some attraction force to pull each other into that alignment.  Friction of wheels against the ground (and the fact that most ground in the game isn't level - so you're often off in two or three axis by a small amount) is often enough to overcome that, so that the vessels can't get themselves aligned the last few degrees automatically.  You have to do it manually instead, by being *very* precise.

In space it's less of a problem, as the ships will have full six axis of freedom to line up - the only thing the docking force needs to overcome is the mass and relative velocity of the ships.  On the ground you're often missing several axis of freedom and the docking force needs to overcome not only the inertia of the vessels but also the friction against the ground and gravitational effects to get the vessels into alignment.

It works, and I do it fairly often - but the docking system definitely feels optimized for space to me.

3 minutes ago, Madmax said:

@DStaal Give Flexible Docking Ports a try :)

Yep, I've got them.  They make things easier.  :wink:  (Though my current preferred solution is the docking ports from Feline Utility Rovers, actually.)  Doesn't change that the stock docking behavior makes docking on the surface more difficult than it needs to be.

@The_Cat_In_Space Sorry for the late reply about spawning inside of the craft instead of outside. You are right, it would be cool to be able to walk around with a kerbal inside of the crewed parts. But it is not really feasible with the current state of KSP. First we have the IVA existing as a seperate model in its own coordinate system which is rendered in a seperate scene and then merged into the image. When using e.g. JSI Advanced Transparent pods, one can see, that the IVA is actually occluding the kerbal in the image although he/she is in front of the IVA. This would mean, that you can't actually see the kerbal when the IVA from the game is used. So i would have to make the 'real' IVA invisible for the time and add the model for the IVA to the model of the part itself. Which i then would have to hide when viewing from stock IVA because it would cause all sorts of rendering errors when they overlap.

Additionally the interal model would need to have a lot of colliders to allow the kerbal to move inside of it. I guess it would at least triple the number of needed colliders for each crewed part. This would slow down the physics simulation a lot. 

Last but not least, there would be nothing you can do inside of the parts. All the props (e.g. Knobs, Switches, Throttle and so on) are part of the internal model and can't be used (and aren't even visible) when controlling a Kerbal in EVA. 

Edited by Nils277

14 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@The_Cat_In_Space Sorry for the late reply about spawning inside of the craft instead of outside. You are right, it would be cool to be able to walk around with a kerbal inside of the crewed parts. But it is not really feasible with the current state of KSP. First we have the IVA existing as a seperate model in its own coordinate system which is rendered in a seperate scene and then merged into the image. When using e.g. JSI Advanced Transparent pods, one can see, that the IVA is actually occluding the kerbal in the image although he/she is in front of the IVA. This would mean, that you can't actually see the kerbal when the IVA from the game is used. So i would have to make the 'real' IVA invisible for the time and add the model for the IVA to the model of the part itself. Which i then would have to hide when viewing from stock IVA because it would cause all sorts of rendering errors when they overlap.

Additionally the interal model would need to have a lot of colliders to allow the kerbal to move inside of it. I guess it would at least triple the number of needed colliders for each crewed part. This would slow down the physics simulation a lot. 

Last but not least, there would be nothing you can do inside of the parts. All the props (e.g. Knobs, Switches, Throttle and so on) are part of the internal model and can't be used (and aren't even visible) when controlling a Kerbal in EVA. 

Yeah, you're right. I have had some bugs with the mod, such as the speed-meter (that tells you in m/s how fast you're going), it appears outside the craft near the command module, and sometimes I have to EVA a Kerbal and get them in again for the other Kerbals to spawn in the planetary greenhouse, mkII crew thing, and the science lab. I have also discovered that the mod works fine with version 1.0.0 of KSP, even though it's for 1.0.5! And what use are the landing legs if you have them and you use a garage ramp, if the landing legs aren't tall enough than the garage ramp, so the ramp hits the ground?

@Nils277 I absolutely love this mod it makes really really nice bases for planetary surfaces.  It would be wonderful if you made a bigger size of these parts so they had 2 floors instead of 1.

Also I like to use these parts base to base to make a rough cylinder shape for space stations but if you could make space station parts in these styles that would be amazing!  Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, jtmcalli said:

Great, this mod is so good that I now have to seriously consider whether or not to use usi or this. Don't worry, it's a good problem.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Use both! :wink:

I have to second this. I think it's important to remember that USI's MKS and KPBS aren't really competitors, per se.

MKS is about expanding gameplay. The parts could all be white cylinders and they still add the same amount to gameplay. 

KPBS doesn't look to add the crazy resource chains, life support, off-world Kerbal spawning etc. that MKS does. It adds gorgeous parts that work well with other mods. You can use them with an otherwise vanilla game to make bases which are functionally pretty similar to stock bases, but are way more aesthetically pleasing. Nils has also done a good job of adding support for other mods (like his recent addition of parts for EL and all of the life support parts which only appear when their respective mods are installed). Some mods makers, like Angel-125, extend support for their mods (WBI suite) to KPBS through their own configs. DStaal's integration pack is yet another way to make KPBS play very well with other mods. 

The beauty of KBPS is that it gives you beautiful parts that can be used with whatever other mods or systems you want. Since it's "just" a parts mod (I don't mean that negatively), it's basically never going to be completely incompatible with another mod. At most, it's only ever waiting for someone to write configs to make it compatible. 

In short, always install KPBS no matter what other mods you have installed. 

Hey Nils277! I love the work you have done on this mod! I was wondering how I get the 4 parts that go with extra planetary launch pads mod. I would really like to send those parts to my two bases that are identical on eve and duna. Please respond! Thanks.

8 hours ago, gmonkeyone said:

Hey Nils277! I love the work you have done on this mod! I was wondering how I get the 4 parts that go with extra planetary launch pads mod. I would really like to send those parts to my two bases that are identical on eve and duna. Please respond! Thanks.

Install EL and then the 8 parts will show up automanagerically

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

I had installed the mod, but i can't get the latest parts, the lunchpad, workshop etc. I get all the other parts and they work fine.. I have the modulemanager 2.7.6. 

I don't know what to do, I want to have the new parts for a new base. Help please :(

1 hour ago, DifNine said:

I had installed the mod, but i can't get the latest parts, the lunchpad, workshop etc. I get all the other parts and they work fine.. I have the modulemanager 2.7.6. 

I don't know what to do, I want to have the new parts for a new base. Help please :(

Do you have EL?  Is everything correctly installed?  Are you sure you've unlocked them in the tech tree?  (Three most common reasons for these types of problems.)

One thing is was expecting when I used the HAL, and I suspect with the MAL as well, I thought it would orient the prograde up perpendicular from the top of the base structure.  Is the current orientation there for a reason?  Is there a way it can be changed or customizable?  I suppose I could use a planetary command pod.  I haven't tested the orientation settings for that one.

15 minutes ago, racnic0404 said:

One thing is was expecting when I used the HAL, and I suspect with the MAL as well, I thought it would orient the prograde up perpendicular from the top of the base structure.  Is the current orientation there for a reason?  Is there a way it can be changed or customizable?  I suppose I could use a planetary command pod.  I haven't tested the orientation settings for that one.

MAL should have the orientation you want - I believe the intent is that MAL is your landing aid, and HAL is your on-planet controller.

3 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Quick Question: Is this mod compatible for 1.3? if not, will there be an update?

I know that you love his mod as much as anyone, however let nils work it at his own pace. I Am sure He will update KPBS and FUR soon. Please remember than this mod has functionality connections to LS mods, EL and deep freeze. So being able to see changes to those will help ensure that he doesn't have to go through multiple iterations in very little time. I have had the opportunity to work with nils as an alpha tester and he is very diligent and thorough on his mods. Based on the experience his release will be soon. But let's remember Nils as other modders have a life beyond KSP, so let's be patient, and not start filling the thread with request for updates, and give him time to work.  Thanks 

As a heads up, the part 'KKAOSS.KIS.Tank' isn't compatible with 1.3. I've been trying to mess with it and make it work, but as of yet, to no avail. It causes 2 of my stations to not load, and when I try to remove it from the save file it causes huge chunks of my stations to not load at all, not really sure where to go from here.

Edited by Sluggo
Grammar