[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

20 hours ago, DStaal said:

As for different drills for ore and water - they're different things.  Why should a drill that handles one be the right drill that handles the other?  I'm sure they need a different drill-head and internal pumping apparatus at least.  (Also - if you look in the configs - the water drill only loads if you have a mod that'll require water.)

Actually, no. They are exactly the same, taking in account the whole game-simplification and the fact we're in space.

Whatever we're drilling into - water, rock, 'ore', ice-cream, etc - comes in a solid form. Do we really need some different head to drill through ice or through rock?

41 minutes ago, Bloody_looser said:

Actually, no. They are exactly the same, taking in account the whole game-simplification and the fact we're in space.

Whatever we're drilling into - water, rock, 'ore', ice-cream, etc - comes in a solid form. Do we really need some different head to drill through ice or through rock?

https://kovacsicedrillingequipment.com/mechanical-drilling/high-strength-bits/

http://www.rock-drill-bit.com/types-of-drill-bits.html

You tell me - we seem to use different ones here on Earth.  Even for different types of rock.  I know consolidated drills are nice because they're easy from a player standpoint, but I don't really see any other justification for them.  You could just as easily claim that we should only have one type of rocket engine.

1 minute ago, Operation40 said:

I'm inclined to agree with Bloody Looser, though if you want to take that a step further.. everything you dig is dirt so it needs seperated / refined:

drill -> refinery -> ISRU

Install UKS.  They have that mechanic, if you dig up dirt.  They also have separate drills that can get each resource individually - and we have people in that thread arguing that 'dirt' is useless and irrelevant because the others exist.  :wink:

Update to KPBS v1.1.1

Another update is here. With the new garages, the container for the surface experiment package and a bigger fuel tank in the base profile.

Changelog(s):

v1.1.1

Bug Fixes:

• Adjusted attachment points for the legs on the garage to avoid blocking.

v1.1.0

New Parts:

• Added Big Rocket Fuel Tank for the base profile

Enhancements:

• Rescaled the garages to fit most of the rovers (MaleMute, Buffalo, PackRat)
  • Added Airlock to the Garage Adapter to enter the garages directly
  • The sides of the garages can now be opened separately
  • Enhanced support of KPBS ISRU to fulfil contratcts (thanks to @ShotgunNinja)

ModSupport:

• Added Container to support the Surface Experiment Package
  • Updated support for RealFuels (thanks to @Raptor831)

Download:

MRispXN.pngcNJI52O.png rMKWvsX.png

Note on the rescaled garages:
Ships that were build with the old versions of the garages will still use these. Only ships you build after this update will have the new ones.

Plans for the coming Update(s): UKS, EPL and OSE Workshop

On 31.5.2016 at 2:51 AM, Bloody_looser said:

@Nils277, do you still have plans for adding parts for OSE Workshop?

Also, what's the reasoning behind having different drills for ore and water?

OSE is planned for one of the next updates.
The separate drills were mainly made for gameplay reasons. It would be boring to have one part that can do all the stuff. Also i thought it was logical that different resources need different harvesters. :wink:

Edited by Nils277

42 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Update to KPBS v1.1.1

Another update is here. With the new garages, the container for the surface experiment package and a bigger fuel tank in the base profile.

Question.  How will these new larger garages affect ships/bases of mine that are currently using the old smaller garage?

Thank you again for your continuing work!

@tsaven That is a valid question, i should have mentioned it :wink:

The old garages are basically still in the game and all ships that were build and launched with these will still have the old ones. It would break the crafts otherwise when something was attached to the garages.
To use the new versions, you have to create a new craft.

Edited by Nils277

1 minute ago, Nils277 said:

That is a valid question, i should have mentioned :wink:

The old garages are basically still in the game and all ships that were build and launched with these will still have the old ones. It would break the crafts otherwise when something was attached to the garages.
To use the new versions, you have to create a new craft.

Excellent, so while my current ships/bases will look and act as normal (with the old garage), it's simply not an option in the parts list in the SPH/VAB anymore?

8 minutes ago, tsaven said:

Excellent, so while my current ships/bases will look and act as normal (with the old garage), it's simply not an option in the parts list in the SPH/VAB anymore?

Exactly. Like the old gangways and the old landing-leg/wheel combination. They are basically still in the game and can be used in older crafts but are not available for new ones.

One Idea i have for these obsolete parts, especially the gangways and the old landing leg-wheel combination is to change their texture to look more and more rusty with every update and eventually put them in separate additional downloads to remove some clutter from the mods folder. They are deprecated for a very long time now and i don't think they are used anymore. Especially the leg-wheel combination, which is rendered unfunctional since KPS 1.0. And so far nobody seems to have noticed it.

Don't worry though, this won't happen anytime soon for the garages. They will be in the main mods folder for at least another 6-12 months.

Edited by Nils277

10 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

One Idea i have for these obsolete parts, especially the gangways and the old landing leg-wheel combination is to change their texture to look more and more rusty with every update

This is hilarious and a great idea.  :)

You know, because I'm sure you don't have enough on your plate with keeping this mod up-to-date...

4 minutes ago, tsaven said:

This is hilarious and a great idea.  :)

You know, because I'm sure you don't have enough on your plate with keeping this mod up-to-date...

Yeah, might be a bit too much overhead for now. :D Maybe after the update for UKS etc. and once i finally had some time for my rover mod. :wink:

2 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Yeah, might be a bit too much overhead for now. :D Maybe after the update for UKS etc. and once i finally had some time for my rover mod. :wink:

Really looking forward to the UKS and USI-LS support! :)

For my own references, what isn't working in regards to USI-LS?  I seem to have some weird things where recyclers on the habitats and greenhouses don't function, and the food production of the greenhouses only works when I'm focused on the base itself.  Didn't want to log an issue if it was a known problem...

3 minutes ago, tsaven said:

Really looking forward to the UKS and USI-LS support! :)

For my own references, what isn't working in regards to USI-LS?  I seem to have some weird things where recyclers on the habitats and greenhouses don't function, and the food production of the greenhouses only works when I'm focused on the base itself.  Didn't want to log an issue if it was a known problem...

USI-LS should work. The support is for UKS(MKS/OKS), with all its new resource chains and gameplay mechanics.

EDIT:

I think the problems with the converters were mentioned before. But it was said, that the same problem applies to the converters etc. that USI-LS adds, so i have not investigated further thinking they are rather a problem of USI-LS than of KPBS

Edited by Nils277

4 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

USI-LS should work. The support is for UKS(MKS/OKS), with all its new resource chains and gameplay mechanics.

EDIT:

I think the problems with the converters were mentioned before. But it was said, that the same problem applies to the converters etc. that USI-LS adds, so i have not investigated further thinking they are rather a problem of USI-LS than of KPBS

Yeah, I think that's actually a stock bug - the same one that's affecting EC usage when in warp/unfocused.  Either way, it's not this mod's problem.

And: Yay for the update!  I've been waiting for this one - I've got a base to build with the new garage.

29 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

USI-LS works and there aren't any issues i know of. The support is for UKS(MKS/OKS), with all its new resource chains and gameplay mechanics.

As I was taking screenshots to ask about what could be wrong, I may have figured out part of it.  It seems that the Cultivator mechanic of the greenhouses shuts down if you're out of storage space for more Supplies? Makes sense so you're not wasting mulch/fertilizer.

Regarding the "Life Support" mechanic of all the habitats and greenhouses though.  Every time I enable them, and then go back to KSC, and then come back to the base, all Life Support mechanics show as "inactive" even though I enabled them all before I left and they still show as started, according to the button.  Is this an issue for the USI thread, or do I not understand the mechanics here?

9gCzNkG.png

*Edit* Looks like my question was answered a split-second before I posted this.  Seems to be a stock bug regarding EC usage.  Thanks guys!  At least I know I'm not insane now. :)

Edited by tsaven

20 minutes ago, tsaven said:

As I was taking screenshots to ask about what could be wrong, I may have figured out part of it.  It seems that the Cultivator mechanic of the greenhouses shuts down if you're out of storage space for more Supplies? Makes sense so you're not wasting mulch/fertilizer.

Regarding the "Life Support" mechanic of all the habitats and greenhouses though.  Every time I enable them, and then go back to KSC, and then come back to the base, all Life Support mechanics show as "inactive" even though I enabled them all before I left and they still show as started, according to the button.  Is this an issue for the USI thread, or do I not understand the mechanics here?

9gCzNkG.png

Hmm, that is weird. Maybe the USI mechanics are not able to correctly work with the converter from KPBS. Will try out what happens when it uses the stock module.

Edit:

Thanks @DStaal. Hope it gets fixed soon^^

Edited by Nils277

On 5/30/2016 at 1:55 PM, DStaal said:

For anyone who's using my UKS configs - I've updated them on Github.  Changes:

• Add EL survey to cupola.

• Added logistics to all tanks.

• Added logistics consumer to all base parts.

• Added power distributor to central hub and command module.

• Re-balanced tanks logistics ranges.

The last one is worth a note: I decided the tanks were to small to qualify for the 'large warehouse' standard for Planetary Logistics.  The small ones now share to the immediate area (150 meters, unless there's a distributor/rover nearby) and the larger ones share to the local base site - up to 2km, but not to Planetary Storage.  If you need Planetary Storage, something bigger is needed, like a large Kontainer.  If there was a way to say 'everything in this storage rack gets Planetary Storage' I'd add that to the large racks, but I don't believe that's possible.

Doing a quick look I think I have a couple of tanks (RCS, Xenon) in the wrong categories - but it's a minor issue, and they don't actually have large tank versions so it may be reasonable to have them having the longer range anyway.

Feel free to drop me any questions/comments/concerns.  (And, as before, Nils is free to use this without attribution if he feels like it.)  This should be a fairly complete set, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not sure if there is something specific needed to get Kolonization bonuses - if I figure that out and there is, I'll add it.

Hey DStaal, newbie question here, but to what location am I supposed to copy your configs? Somewhere in the KPBS ModSupport folder? 

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Hey DStaal, newbie question here, but to what location am I supposed to copy your configs? Somewhere in the KPBS ModSupport folder? 

Thanks

Pretty much anywhere in GameData.  Personally, as they aren't official KPBS configs, I'd make a separate folder for them, and any other personal/extra config patches you install/make.  (Actually, personally I have a separate folder which is synced to Github, which these are in a sub-folder of. :wink: )  As long as you have Module Manager installed, it'll read anything in GameData.  (Well, it skips folders named 'PluginData', so avoid that for these.  Anything else.)

@DStaal, you've missed the part about 'the whole game-simplification'. We can imagine interchangeable heads on the same ol' drill, can't we? :)

Drill-heads argument is valid, though it puts us on a slippery path to separate drills for various ice caps, Minmus,Duna and bodies with liquid water (though chemical composition of Laythe's oceans is a subject for another discussion).

8 hours ago, Nils277 said:

OSE is planned for one of the next updates.
The separate drills were mainly made for gameplay reasons. It would be boring to have one part that can do all the stuff. Also i thought it was logical that different resources need different harvesters.

Glad to hear about OSE.

Well, I totally understand your reasoning. Thank for your answer. Your drills are convenient (and damn good modelled) so packing another one is not a big deal.

P.S. But ... But we do have 'one part that can do all the stuff', don't we? It's called ISRU unit. :D

P.P.S. Great update btw. Rescaling garages is really appreciated.

Edited by Bloody_looser

12 hours ago, DarkonZ said:

Maybe itz silly to say this, but the spacedock text doesn't mention support for Kerbalism. Its every where else but there.

And yes, huge salute to the dev(s) of this mod. Slick.

Updated the descriptions on Curse and Spacedock, they are now up to date :wink: 

1 hour ago, tajampi said:

Hi:

Awesome mod! Thank you for your effort.

Is the new 1.1.1 update CKan indexed? It does not show up for me. CKan is instead indicating 1.0.12 as latest version...

Cheers!

Indexing should be automatically done via Spacedock. It should be available once the Crawler from CKAN spots the new version. Typically this should not take longer than one or two days.

15 hours ago, Bloody_looser said:

@DStaal, you've missed the part about 'the whole game-simplification'. We can imagine interchangeable heads on the same ol' drill, can't we? :)

Drill-heads argument is valid, though it puts us on a slippery path to separate drills for various ice caps, Minmus,Duna and bodies with liquid water (though chemical composition of Laythe's oceans is a subject for another discussion).

Glad to hear about OSE.

Well, I totally understand your reasoning. Thank for your answer. Your drills are convenient (and damn good modelled) so packing another one is not a big deal.

P.S. But ... But we do have 'one part that can do all the stuff', don't we? It's called ISRU unit. :D

P.P.S. Great update btw. Rescaling garages is really appreciated.

Jep, but the Water is not used by the ISRU :P All resource meant for the ISRU are harvested with one drill.
And don't worry, there won't be additional drills for special biomes etc. There will be special ones for UKS though, because this is part of the gameplay mechanic. But this won't affect you if you don't have it installed :wink: 

Edited by Nils277

51 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

And don't worry, there won't be additional drills for special biomes etc. There will be special ones for UKS though, because this is part of the gameplay mechanic. But this won't affect you if you don't have it installed :wink: 

Just to say: If you're thinking special drills for UKS, it'd be worth watching the UKS thread at the moment.  RoverDude's re-balancing his tech progression, and there have been several comments on where the drills get introduced, and what resources get bundled with what.