[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 AM, Tonka Crash said:

I install 99% of my mods with CKAN including KPBS. You need to provide more information than "it dont work".

to answer your question, on CKAN it just won't let me push the ''Download Contents'' button, it is just not clickable

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 AM, Tonka Crash said:

All mods go under GameData. You also have to have all the dependencies installed like ModuleManager.

yes i do have the newest ModuleManager

23 hours ago, FracxPlayz said:

to answer your question, on CKAN it just won't let me push the ''Download Contents'' button, it is just not clickable

yes i do have the newest ModuleManager

The "Download Contents" button is only there to cache a mod and to see the contents if the mod is not installed yet, and it does not install it.

To download and install it, you have to tick the left-most checkbox (column header is "Inst") in the modlist.

If there is no checkbox to select, only a "-", make sure to mark KSP 1.6 as compatible under "Settings" > "Compatible KSP versions",
because all dependencies of KPBS are only officially compatible with KSP up to 1.6 (Community Category Kit and Community Resource Pack), but should work fine nevertheless.

Edited by DasSkelett

2 hours ago, DasSkelett said:

The "Download Contents" button is only there to cache a mod and to see the contents if the mod is not installed yet, and it does not install it.

To download and install it, you have to tick the left-most checkbox (column header is "Inst") in the modlist.

If there is no checkbox to select, only a "-", make sure to mark KSP 1.6 as compatible under "Settings" > "Compatible KSP versions",
because all dependencies of KPBS are only officially compatible with KSP up to 1.6 (Community Category Kit and Community Resource Pack), but should work fine nevertheless.

[Snip] THANKYOU!!!! IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been beaten to death yet I can't seem to quite get the keywords right when Googling; Has anyone figured out a reliable way of dealing with the base flipping over when docking new modules?

I'm in the process of building a Minmus base for research and refueling, but it's almost impossible to get new parts connected due to the base launching in the air and flipping over as soon as the new module is docked.

Edited by winterchillz

On 5/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, winterchillz said:

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been beaten to death yet I can't seem to quite get the keywords right when Googling; Has anyone figured out a reliable way of dealing with the base flipping over when docking new modules?

I'm in the process of building a Minmus base for research and refueling, but it's almost impossible to get new parts connected due to the base launching in the air and flipping over as soon as the new module is docked.

Do you use landing legs or do you have the base directly on the ground?
If you use landing legs, it might be an idea to retract them prior to docking.

1 hour ago, Greg Cooper said:

Why I cant find this mod in CKAN?

It is on CKAN, the problem is, that it depends on the mods Community Resource Pack(CRP) and Community Category Kit(CCK). These two mods are not yet listed in CKAN as compatible with KSP 1.7.0. Therefore KPBS also wont appear in the list of compatible mods. If you remove the filter for compatible mods in CKAN, you should be able to find it. As far as i know CRP and CCK work fine with 1.7.0

Edited by Nils277

1 hour ago, Nils277 said:

Do you use landing legs or do you have the base directly on the ground?
If you use landing legs, it might be an idea to retract them prior to docking. 

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I am using the little foot with the standard wheels attached so I can move the components from the landing zone to the base location. Usually every module begins with a corridor so I can keep the somewhat distanced from the main base body. As I approach the corridor port, I retract the wheels and leave just the little foot legs extended so that the corridor ports of the base and the module I'm about to dock are somewhat aligned; Then I go forward at around 0.1/0.2 of speed until it docks.

I'll try with retracting the entire base down to the ground and see if that makes it easier, thanks for the suggestion!

5 hours ago, Greg Cooper said:

Why I cant find this mod in CKAN?

You most likely need to set your compatible KSP versions under "Settings" > "Compatible KSP versions" and mark "1.6", because, as @Nils277said, the two dependencies are only officially compatible with KSP up to 1.6, but they should work fine nevertheless on 1.7.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but KPBS habitat, lab, and greenhouse modules do not contribute to contract requirements for having room for X Kerbals in contracts.  They also don't register as viable TAC LS locations.  Pretty sure this is not intended behavior.

8 minutes ago, SkyRender said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but KPBS habitat, lab, and greenhouse modules do not contribute to contract requirements for having room for X Kerbals in contracts.  They also don't register as viable TAC LS locations.  Pretty sure this is not intended behavior.

In folded position they cannot house Kerbals, that’s probably why.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:41 AM, SkyRender said:

Like @Kerbart said, its because these parts are not able to holder kerbals when retracted (which is the default case) therefore they do not count unfortunately. Its the way this contract in managed internall in KSP which cannot be changed for all i know.
I did not know that TAC-LS also had special contracts will look at it, but i'm afraid it will use the same mechanic and therefor cannot work with the parts you named.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Asidem said:

Hi,

The planetary cupola doesn't seem to contribute to the "have a viewing cupola on your outpost" contract requirement :( 

Normally it should. Did you install KPBS after you accepted the contract? KSPs mechanic only accept parts that already installed at the time the contract was accepted.

11 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Normally it should. Did you install KPBS after you accepted the contract? KSPs mechanic only accept parts that already installed at the time the contract was accepted.

You're right. I should have thought twice. Thanks for the clarification!

37 minutes ago, Bom-bombardier said:

Does this have it’s own life support system or do you have to download something like TAC-LS?:kiss:

You need a third party life support mod. (KPBS has support for a number of them including parts that are not ordinarily available without a LS mod)

Edited by Starwaster

@Bom-bombardier No life support is built in, but in the OP the following is posted.

On 3/6/2016 at 7:52 AM, Nils277 said:

Supported Mods

You need the lastest version of ModuleManager to use the supported mods!

Life Support:
TAC Life SupportUSI-LS, Snacks! ContinuedKerbalismDeepFreeze (Continued), IoncrossECLSSIFI-Life Support

Hello,

I just decided to move beyond having just a handful of mods (basically; mechjeb, kerbal engineer, docking port, xscience, alarm clock)  and start using some mods that add other parts.

So I'm trying scansat, stockalike station parts, OPT space plane parts, and this one Kerbal Planetary Base Systems.

So, on the surface everything seems fine. Playing along with a new career and looking to create a Mun base. I have some trees unlocked, so looking to make a first attempt.

First comment, is it normal that parts don't seem to snap attach normally? I am trying to put either of the landing legs on the Engine piece, and I am working with a workflow of; let part snap attach in the vicinity of where I want it, then use the rotate and move tool get it where I want them. Also, is it better to work in the airplane hangar as opposed to the rocket hangar. When looking to attach two legs in the rocket hangar, the two legs are in opposite directions. I am sure this is mentioned somewhere in instructions somewhere... pfft, instructions.

Annotation-2019-06-25-120629.png

Secondly, and after poking around I wonder if this is the problem. I have A LOT of lines in the module manager log like the 3 I am posting below.

"[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_4_2]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_5_1]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_6_1]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS"

My assumption is that the module is removing "something" from the part that relates to a mod references in  the NEEDS[mod_name], which means I don't necessarily have to have these mods. Is this correct?

2 hours ago, decadre said:

First comment, is it normal that parts don't seem to snap attach normally? I am trying to put either of the landing legs on the Engine piece, and I am working with a workflow of; let part snap attach in the vicinity of where I want it, then use the rotate and move tool get it where I want them. Also, is it better to work in the airplane hangar as opposed to the rocket hangar. When looking to attach two legs in the rocket hangar, the two legs are in opposite directions. I am sure this is mentioned somewhere in instructions somewhere... pfft, instructions.

First off: Welcome to modded KSP!  Soon you'll have more parts than you know what do to with.  ;)

For the landing legs - the legs you're showing are designed to be surface-attached to the *bottom* of the parts.  There are other landing legs which are designed to attach to the sides, but they're designed to node-attach.

Personally, where I build these depends a lot on what I'm trying to build - I've used both, and even switched between the VAB and the SPH on occasion.

Secondly, and after poking around I wonder if this is the problem. I have A LOT of lines in the module manager log like the 3 I am posting below.

"[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_4_2]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_5_1]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_6_1]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS"

My assumption is that the module is removing "something" from the part that relates to a mod references in  the NEEDS[mod_name], which means I don't necessarily have to have these mods. Is this correct?

This isn't a problem, and in fact is Module Manager doing what it's supposed to be doing.  And yes, those lines mean that Module Manager is not applying the patches in question, because you don't have the mods needed for them.  (That applying could be add, remove, or change a part.  In these particular cases, it would be moving the part to a different node on the modded tech tree.)

First comment, is it normal that parts don't seem to snap attach normally? I am trying to put either of the landing legs on the Engine piece, and I am working with a workflow of; let part snap attach in the vicinity of where I want it, then use the rotate and move tool get it where I want them. 

That leg is designed to surface attach to the bottom of the KPBS parts. That's why it says "(Underside)" in the name. There is a different leg that snaps to the side nodes.

is it better to work in the airplane hangar as opposed to the rocket hangar.

It's up to you, whatever you find simplest to work with. Eventually whatever you design will have to be packaged for launch.

[LOG 2019-06-25 09:23:17.138] Deleting root node in file PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/CTT/KPBS_MM_CTT node: @PART[KKAOSS_gangway_6_1]:FOR[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

This is just module manager telling you it's not going to apply a  patch because it can't find CommunityTechTree. It doesn't delete anything from the part, it just doesn't change it. In this case the patch is probably intending to change the TechRequired field to one of the new nodes from CTT, so nothing to worry about if you don't have CTT installed.

Quick question. I landed a base on Minmus, and I am trying to deploy the mk2 habitat module and the lab, but it will not give me the option to. Does anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, DRAG0Nmon said:

Quick question. I landed a base on Minmus, and I am trying to deploy the mk2 habitat module and the lab, but it will not give me the option to. Does anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance!

Just curious, is there any kind of command module currently attached to the base and is there a sufficient comm net? If you are on the far side of Minmus and there is no direct line of site to Kerbin or a comm relay, then you won't be able to activate anything. I only know this by experience. I landed part of my first base with a pilot on board, then tried to land an unmanned module, I found I couldn't control it to land until I set up a comm relay network. 

I'm a bit confused trying to attach any of the fuel or battery components of the mod, or any of the other pieces that are "half sections" of the other parts. My problem is there is only one attachment point on these part, and it doesn't allow for proper alignment with say, the mk2 habitat module. Like shouldn't the two half parts attach together to make a whole and then be able to attach to the other full size pieces? Am I missing something obvious? Does this question even make sense?