[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

13 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

This is not known yet. I need a log file to see what goes wrong there. But the parts only use the modules that EPL provides. Is KSP build 1622 the new prerelease? I'm not at home at the moment and can't check any of this for the next few days.

This is the current release of KSP as reported by the Launcher app (not Steam). I'll pull a clean copy and install just KPBS, EL, KIS, and KAS and then see if there are any relevant logs to post. It's not that things are broken or crashing. There are just no controls to do anything related to EPL. Is this an EPL problem then?

OK, @Nils277 here are specifics for a clean install with minimal mods, in the order installed:

KSP 1.2.2 (build 1622 as noted earlier) on a Mac

KAS 0.6.2

KIS 1.4.3

EPL 5.7.1

KPBS 1.4.2

Log can be downloaded from http://shotton.com/files/KSP.log

There are no controls/buttons exposed for the smelter or workshop, but the launchpad's open/close button is there. snip.png

12 minutes ago, WissyWassy said:

@cshotton, EPL should come with a dll called 'Launchpad.dll'.

Check if you have this so it can be loaded when you start the game.

Easiest is to simply download the latest EPL installables from Taniwha's personal site directly.

Cheers,

Hmm. Don't see it in the distro I have. That could be the problem! Wonder why it wasn't in the download?

After downloading from the link above and installing its contents into the EPL folder in GameData, things do, indeed, work as expected. That's definitely a problem with the EPL packaging. Sorry for the false alarm, @Nils277

I'm sure it's me just not understanding something. Please excuse me if this has been discussed up thread but I didn't have any luck finding the answer.

I'm trying to recycle parts of a craft docked at a space station using EPL and KPBS. I can build craft at the station using Rocket Parts, so I assume EPL is working. I don't know if recycling has anything to do with EPL anyway, but regardless. I have a smelter and a recycler along with a level 3 Engineer on the station. I have free storage for just about every kind of resource there is. If I EVA the kerbal and send him out to the end of a docked craft, I right click on the part and get the "Scrap part for Equipment" in the menu. Selecting this item results in a poof of the part and a message saying the part was recycled. Yet when I go back to the station I do not see any increase in any of the resources. What I expected to see was some scrap metal added to the smelter, but nope. I've tried doing it with and without the recycler activated.

What am I doing wrong or not understanding about the whole recycle process?

Edited by OldLost

10 hours ago, OldLost said:

I'm sure it's me just not understanding something. Please excuse me if this has been discussed up thread but I didn't have any luck finding the answer.

I'm trying to recycle parts of a craft docked at a space station using EPL and KPBS. I can build craft at the station using Rocket Parts, so I assume EPL is working. I don't know if recycling has anything to do with EPL anyway, but regardless. I have a smelter and a recycler along with a level 3 Engineer on the station. I have free storage for just about every kind of resource there is. If I EVA the kerbal and send him out to the end of a docked craft, I right click on the part and get the "Scrap part for Equipment" in the menu. Selecting this item results in a poof of the part and a message saying the part was recycled. Yet when I go back to the station I do not see any increase in any of the resources. What I expected to see was some scrap metal added to the smelter, but nope. I've tried doing it with and without the recycler activated.

What am I doing wrong or not understanding about the whole recycle process?

I'm not sure that 'Scrap Part for Equipment' is from EL.  I believe that's from Pathfinder.  (And it should be getting you 'Equipment', as it says.)  To recycle using EL, you typically need to have a recycler part on your main ship, and 'dock' the ship to be recycled into it.

Thanks DStaal. Yeah, I was wondering if the "Scrap part for Equipment" was coming from KBPS or some other mod; it's hard to know for sure when you're using several. I'll post my query about that in the Pathfinder thread where it belongs.

However, if I want to use KBPS' part recycler does it work the same as EL's? I didn't try docking the ship I want to recycle to the Part Recycler (from KBPS) I have on the station, but will give that a shot tonight. I'd rather get scrap metal for the craft than equipment anyway, I think.

Edited by OldLost

55 minutes ago, OldLost said:

Thanks DStaal. Yeah, I was wondering if the "Scrap part for Equipment" was coming from KBPS or some other mod; it's hard to know for sure when you're using several. I'll post my query about that in the Pathfinder thread where it belongs.

However, if I want to use KBPS' part recycler does it work the same as EL's? I didn't try docking the ship I want to recycle to the Part Recycler (from KBPS) I have on the station, but will give that a shot tonight. I'd rather get scrap metal for the craft than equipment anyway, I think.

I believe the KPBS part recycler should work exactly the same as EL's - It's just a different part which uses the same part modules behind the scenes.  (Basically: It *is* an EL recycler.  It just looks different.)

Hi! I'm having  problem when my bases get bigger. They start wobbling and ultimately explode. Also, lots parts from lots of different transports make it very laggy. Is there a way to weld the ports together as in Kolonization mod? Or a way to turn off the physics or dunno what? When on my base, it constantly thinks it's flying then not then again... 

2 hours ago, Psychokiller1888 said:

Hi! I'm having  problem when my bases get bigger. They start wobbling and ultimately explode. Also, lots parts from lots of different transports make it very laggy. Is there a way to weld the ports together as in Kolonization mod? Or a way to turn off the physics or dunno what? When on my base, it constantly thinks it's flying then not then again... 

Some of that is just plain KSP - the game's limitations mean that vessels with lots of parts are always going to be a problem.  'Lots' being variable dependent on their size/shape, how powerful your computer is, etc.

If you're using the Kolonization mod, my KPBStoMKS will help by bringing in some of the mitigation strategies that RoverDude implemented in that mod.  (Notably construction ports and tethering.)

Thank you for the answer!

Yeah, I know it's the basic limitations of KSP that are engaged here. I tend to solve temporarily the lots of parts by having my kerbals dismentle the once landed useless stuff and recycle them. The wobbling is the terrible part, as as soon as the station gets bigger I can fear the apocalypse and loss of everything as parts gets propulsed even into orbit... I saw that UKS has a welding system on their ports, is that something that would "fix" the wobbling part? I also saw another mod that let's you place concrete plates on ground, to have a perfect even ground for your bases, would that help the wobbling?

@Psychokiller1888

Try out to aktivate the autostruts in Situ.

Enable advenced tweckables. Rightklick on the wobly part and try out the combination (heaviest, root, grandparent) 'till it works. It may need to autostrut other parts too but mostly most exposed at heaviest may work.

The weelding helps mostly for Reduce the partcount (no docking parts and ergo more stable) and the groundpilars (maybe you mean this?) Work like launch clamps. They enable you to stabilise your base => no unplaned orbital insertions.

Funny Kabooms

Urses

Edited by Urses
Maybe better answer?

25 minutes ago, Psychokiller1888 said:

Thank you for the answer!

Yeah, I know it's the basic limitations of KSP that are engaged here. I tend to solve temporarily the lots of parts by having my kerbals dismentle the once landed useless stuff and recycle them. The wobbling is the terrible part, as as soon as the station gets bigger I can fear the apocalypse and loss of everything as parts gets propulsed even into orbit... I saw that UKS has a welding system on their ports, is that something that would "fix" the wobbling part? I also saw another mod that let's you place concrete plates on ground, to have a perfect even ground for your bases, would that help the wobbling?

The welding fixes some of it - docking nodes are weaker than regular nodes, so welding things together means they can't flex as much.  The tethering is actually actively cancels internal invisible forces, which in theory should get rid of it.

Having a perfect even ground may help.  Having landing legs may help.  Not having landing legs may help.  It depends a bit on the ship, the location, and how KSP is feeling about the phase of the moon today.  :wink: 

On 3/10/2016 at 1:03 AM, Nils277 said:

I will try to add TweakScale support to the corridor parts :wink:

Are you opposed to the rest of the parts getting tweakscale, I'm going to update my local file for it since I'm doing all the rest of the mods I'm using. 

EDIT:  Thank you for having sanity in naming your parts, I did a pull request with the update if you want to use it. 

ZWbYyit.png

Edited by eberkain

8 hours ago, eberkain said:

Are you opposed to the rest of the parts getting tweakscale, I'm going to update my local file for it since I'm doing all the rest of the mods I'm using. 

EDIT:  Thank you for having sanity in naming your parts, I did a pull request with the update if you want to use it. 

ZWbYyit.png

I'm not directly opposed to support TweakScale for all of the parts. Just thought that it would not be really needed and sensible for e.g. the parts that are inhabited. (Is the IVA scaled too and are the kerbals in the IVA really small then? Or is the IVA still small and does not fit the external part?)

I have not added support for TweakScale for all parts because i have not checked if there are any interferences between some custom plugin code for the parts and tweakscale. Saw you made a pull request on GitHub. It looks sane to me. Will add it for the next release. Will take some time until 1.3 is officially out though :wink: 

2 hours ago, Nils277 said:

I'm not directly opposed to support TweakScale for all of the parts. Just thought that it would not be really needed and sensible for e.g. the parts that are inhabited. (Is the IVA scaled too and are the kerbals in the IVA really small then? Or is the IVA still small and does not fit the external part?)

I have not added support for TweakScale for all parts because i have not checked if there are any interferences between some custom plugin code for the parts and tweakscale. Saw you made a pull request on GitHub. It looks sane to me. Will add it for the next release. Will take some time until 1.3 is officially out though :wink: 

Yeah, I don't like scaling crew parts with IVA's for that very reason, which is part of the reason that I started working on Tweakscale Limited.  It removes scaling from some parts like wnything with crew seats, and restricts how big or small you can scale a part based on its default size. 

On 20/03/2017 at 1:32 AM, cshotton said:

It seems that the current config is broken with respects to smelting, rocket part manufacturing, and Extraplanetary Launchpads. Specifically, there are no buttons showing up for smelt or any of the other "manufacturing" functions when parts are clicked.

This is with KPBS 1.4.2 running on a Mac under KSP build 1622, with current KIS, KAS, and EL from project GitHub releases.

Having never had the mods working the past with EL, I can't say for sure what I am supposed to be seeing, but with power, engineers, workshop, etc. all in place, the smelter does nothing with metal ore and it all goes downhill from there. All other KPBS functions seem OK (open/close base parts, etc.) so it seems to be borked with the EL functions only. But right-clicking on modules just shows resource levels with no other buttons or controls showing.

Is this a known problem with a work-around? Happy to help debug if not.

Im having this exact problem. Metal ore exists in a container next to the smelter, but there are no options to activate it - its just a container itself.

Same thing for the workshop - it appears to function as a habitat only.

Havent tried the launchpad yet.

I have a suggestion. As I love using this parts to make circular centrifuge stations, it would be really awesome to have upside-down variants of these modules that could go on the bottom of these ones. Basically rotated interiors, no windows on the part that is now the roof, etc.

I imagine one could also use them for rovers, zeppelin gondolas, or bases hanging from under the Mun archs? Or submarines, or whatever, people are creative.

Edited by MarethyuGamer

Hmmm...can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  (Must be me, the mod seems to be working fine...)

I have a mining rover that I use to mine "Metallic Ore", which is stored in a case on the rover as it gets mined.  I drive the rover from the mining location next to the metal ore storage building, grab the connector on the winch (which is attached to the rover's storage crate) and plug it to the Metal Ore storage building (docked).  At this point I should be able to transfer the ore from the rover into the storage building, right?  Nope.

I've tried Alt-Right-clicking until I'm blue in the face and get nothing, I've tried using Ship Manifest (it recognizes the ore stored in the rover's crate but says there's no other storage location available to transfer it to), I even tried threatening the ore with being dumped out if it didn't transfer (let's just say there's a big pile of ore outside the Metal Ore storage building now).

Is it because I've got "Metallic Ore" mined and the building only accepts "Metal Ore"?  There's no setting on the MEU-100-A to mine 'Metal Ore'.  Or am I doing something obviously stupid...or not doing something just as obviously stupid?  (Either of which are pretty likely...)

1 hour ago, ZuluDoggy said:

Hmmm...can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  (Must be me, the mod seems to be working fine...)

I have a mining rover that I use to mine "Metallic Ore", which is stored in a case on the rover as it gets mined.  I drive the rover from the mining location next to the metal ore storage building, grab the connector on the winch (which is attached to the rover's storage crate) and plug it to the Metal Ore storage building (docked).  At this point I should be able to transfer the ore from the rover into the storage building, right?  Nope.

I've tried Alt-Right-clicking until I'm blue in the face and get nothing, I've tried using Ship Manifest (it recognizes the ore stored in the rover's crate but says there's no other storage location available to transfer it to), I even tried threatening the ore with being dumped out if it didn't transfer (let's just say there's a big pile of ore outside the Metal Ore storage building now).

Is it because I've got "Metallic Ore" mined and the building only accepts "Metal Ore"?  There's no setting on the MEU-100-A to mine 'Metal Ore'.  Or am I doing something obviously stupid...or not doing something just as obviously stupid?  (Either of which are pretty likely...)

A pic of the ship often helps diagnose these - but in this case I can tell you that 'Metal Ore' is not the same thing as 'Metallic Ore', and they require different drills, containers, and processors.

What are you actually trying to do?  This sounds like a situation where my KPBStoMKS pack might help...

On 29/03/2017 at 7:32 PM, eberkain said:

ZWbYyit.png

Where are the tanks from? I don't have those parts here!

4 minutes ago, FellipeC said:

Where are the tanks from? I don't have those parts here!

They're only visible if you have a Life Support mod that uses the resources they hold.  I'm guessing he runs TAC-LS.

(Or my KPBS to MKS pack - which re-purposes them into Kontaniers.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

They're only visible if you have a Life Support mod that uses the resources they hold.  I'm guessing he runs TAC-LS.

Thanks

55 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Kerbalism

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

A pic of the ship often helps diagnose these - but in this case I can tell you that 'Metal Ore' is not the same thing as 'Metallic Ore', and they require different drills, containers, and processors.

What are you actually trying to do?  This sounds like a situation where my KPBStoMKS pack might help...

Thanks, I downloaded the patch to see if that will help.  I'll attempt to post some pictures later, but as simply put as I can make it: I'm using a Buffalo rover that has a storage container on it.  I also added 4 of USI's MEU-100-A drills, set to mine metallic ore.  I take the rover to the mining location, drill (which fills the storage container), bring the rover/ore back to my base, and attempt to transfer the ore into KPBS' Metal Ore storage structure.  The transfer into the Metal Ore storage structure is where I'm having problems.

Any help is appreciated, and again, I'll try installing your patch to see if it helps as well.  Now to see if I can get some pictures and post them...