Why would you be a terrible space colonist?

Nightside

Reading about Scott Kelly's year in space I realized I would not be a happy space camper. My main weakness (aside from totally not being an astronaut)? I love cooking and eating fresh food too much. I couldn't make it on space grub.

Why wouldn't you be able to live in space?

I'm overweight. But I'm in the process of fixing that.

Other than that...oh, yeah, I dropped out of highschool because I loved developing video games too damn much.
That might actually be a good thing, I suppose things will need programming on Mars?

I would be the most awesome space colonist ever. I would make hot coco for my crew mates, organise neat board game evenings (gravity not included) and knit sweaters out of asteroids for everyone.

I'm an idiot. (I might accidentally flip the wrong switch on an airlock door.)

I'm lazy. (I might say "Eh, we've got 2 days until the air bleed becomes a problem. I'll fix it tomorrow...")

I'm extremely introverted. (The Station Commander will learn about this through email, and I'll probably ignore his texts.)

But most importantly, I'm brutally honest. (I'll tell the recruitment guys the above and they probably won't send me up to begin with.)

Definitely not Space Colonist material.

Oh yeah, and with my fix-it skills, I usually have to take something half-apart again when it's almost together because I realize that I forgot to put this piece in. Like, almost always, my wife is so used to it that if I don't have to take something apart again she asks "Are you sure you didn't forget something?"

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh yeah, and with my fix-it skills, I usually have to take something half-apart again when it's almost together because I realize that I forgot to put this piece in. Like, almost always, my wife is so used to it that if I don't have to take something apart again she asks "Are you sure you didn't forget something?"

That sounds perfectly normal. Everyone knows The Machine God need to be appeased with The Rite Of Assembling Things Partially and Taking It Apart Again.

I'd probably snore in zero-G. Chances of me making it to Mars without being murdered by irate sleepless crewmates, mulched, and recycled into fertilizer are about zero.

I'm a lazy procrastinator who suffers from claustrophobia when stuck in a group of people. I also need silence in my life, so a noisy spaceship is not a place I would be comfortable working in for too long.

So I will probably not go to space any time soon. :P

Edited by Mitchz95

3 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I'm a lazy procrastinator who suffers from claustrophobia when stuck in a group of people. I also need silence in my life, so a noisy spaceship is not a place I would be comfortable working in for too long.

So I will probably not go to space any time soon. :P

Lots of peace and quiet if you go EVA. Just turn off the radio. And the fans, pumps, and other life support equipment. Okay, maybe only a few minutes of silence

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Prone to motion sickness and congestion headaches. I would probably barf non-stop the whole time. 

"like a dog in a station wagon." - Gillette, Archer

I would need a second craft to come along, just to haul the amount of tea that I'd need until we'd established a plantation.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.