30 Part Challenge

Hello fellow KSP forums surfers!

Today I'm going to present you with a simple challenge, which is far easier said than done. You must land on Minmus with thirty parts or less!

Rules:

-Thirty Parts or less.

-MechJeb is allowed.

-No cheats!

-Stock parts only.

Edited by Comrade Xmir
Added rules.

and then there's this (not me, but consider that due to the weirdness of the local system it actually requires LESS delta V to do a return mission to Minmus with landing than it does to the Mun):

Oh yes, and I think there is a smattering of infiniglide exploitation there as well. Which they fixed for 1.0.5, that could make life interesting...

Edited by ihtoit

3 hours ago, ihtoit said:

and then there's this (not me, but consider that due to the weirdness of the local system it actually requires LESS delta V to do a return mission to Minmus with landing than it does to the Mun):

Oh yes, and I think there is a smattering of infiniglide exploitation there as well. Which they fixed for 1.0.5, that could make life interesting...

Woah, that's pretty cool. I'd love to test something like this out sometime.

I read this post about half an hour ago, here's my submission.

I call it the "30min....mus" run. Made it to Minmus on 26 parts, but I forgot the heat shield. I didn't expect to make it back, but knew I didn't need to because the challenge only says land on Minmus. However, after I landed I decided I had nothing to lose, so I went for a re-entry anyway. This was done in a sandbox save I have, but re-entry heating was set to the normal 100%. 

So yup. Purty good way to spend half an hour.

Edited by Maximus97

My latest Minmus lander is 27 parts. Includes science bits (thermometer, antenna, materials bay), and it's good for 2-3 hops. There are two radiators, but it turns out they don't actually do anything for re-entry (their heat outflow is blocked), so they were a waste of parts and mass.

I also have a 24-part version which was my first Minmus lander. It's got lower-tier parts for obvious reasons.

Hodari: do you actually need the extra reaction wheels? Seems like you should be able to do fine with 9 parts, and you'd save 100kg. If you're short on fuel, switch to the lander can, save another 200kg. Your Terrier should be able to break your fall on Kerbin, since you'd be just over 1.6t dry and it delivers 25 kN.

I lost the password to my ships upload directory... I should share my craft with you all. Basically: kickback first stage, with fins; terrier and 4t fuel second stage; ant and 1t fuel lander stage, with the small parachute, lander can, 3 small legs, 4 solar panels, optional materials bay (without it, 0.5t is plenty). Re-entry is at 50km while spinning to make sure I'm spreading the heat evenly; it takes several passes before I land.

Edited by numerobis

Not sure if I absolutely needed it or not, but thought it would help with stability during ascent(especially since I didn't have any fins) and that would be a rather big ship to turn just with the command pod(especially before dropping the first stage.  Anyway, that was a ship I just threw together quickly and didn't completely optimize.  But yeah, if I could have gotten away without the reaction wheels, then I could have put in a parachute or something instead and still kept to 10 parts.  Also could have dropped the mono-propellant to save a bit more weight.  Fuel wasn't even really an issue except for the Duna landing and even that was only because I didn't bother waiting for optimal transfer window and there were a lot of things I could have done more efficiently.  In any case though, I'd say that was WAY beyond the scope of the original challenge :)

With a Twin-boar + lander can, I've got 666 m/s at LKO. If I had another 300 m/s I think that would be theoretically sufficient to get to Minmus and EVA down to the surface.

My launch cost 3273 m/s -- seems a bit high.

8 hours ago, numerobis said:

Twin-boar and lander can: 3996 m/s.

Twin-boar and external seat with a Kerbal in it: 4089 m/s.

Either way I'm not sure it's enough on its own!

The Twin-Boar+Can gets you to the Mun but you cannot make orbit. When you launch at the proper time the Twin-Boar+seat can propably get you to Minmus, but I think that's it, unless you want to land in EVA, which is entirely possible of course.

At least that's it from the KSC - Now how much Delta-v do I save when launching from a high mountain on Kerbin *looks at the "Launch from somewhere else" challenge...*  :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.