30 Part Challenge

1 hour ago, RocketPropelledGiraffe said:

The Twin-Boar+Can gets you to the Mun but you cannot make orbit. When you launch at the proper time the Twin-Boar+seat can propably get you to Minmus, but I think that's it, unless you want to land in EVA, which is entirely possible of course.

At least that's it from the KSC - Now how much Delta-v do I save when launching from a high mountain on Kerbin *looks at the "Launch from somewhere else" challenge...*  :rolleyes:

Indeed, I was assuming you'd land by EVA.

The two-burn transfer to a 6km Minmus orbit from 70km Kerbin orbit is 938 m/s up, then 158 to capture and circularize. After that, 163 m/s for an optimal landing to altitude 0. Total is 1259 m/s.

With the twin-boar+can first stage (4 km/s) and EVA second stage (300 m/s), you have 4300 m/s on board.

So you have to make orbit in 3km/s. Seems like you're a couple hundred m/s short.

This being KSP, what do you do when you're a couple hundred m/s short? You get out and push! At low TWR, we have an infinite amount of fuel on board.

Oh, if it's 500 m/s in the EVA pack then you're in pretty good shape. Why did I think it was 300? That explains why I have so much EVA fuel left in my pack during rescues! So instead of being a couple hundred short you're right on the nose.

For gravity assists, you can ping-pong for a while to cut costs, but at base minimum, you'll need to pay the transfer to Mun -- 864 m/s. And you'll need to capture at Minmus, which costs 65 m/s (the escape velocity, in reverse). Those are the two big parts you can't possibly get a gravity assist for, but even just those two prove that gravity boosts can't save you more than 170 m/s.

My bet is we could prove you can't save even half that, and in practice you'd be lucky to save 50 m/s. Still, the margins are so tight, that might put you over the edge.

I got it to work with a lander can, liquid booster, and EVA pack last night.  No pics, as I wasn't sure that I could make it go.  Ran out of EVA propellant while moving at about 6 m/s still, but Kerbal survived impact onto Minmus ;)

I was dreaming of ways to get a Kerbal balanced precariously on top of a twin-boar for a 1-part flight, but you can't even light the rocket that way. So I'm pretty sure 2 is the minimum. Physics glitches also seem to always need a pair of objects.

Broke out my Caveman 1.0.5 save last night and did this challenge. Didn't take any screenies or anything though (might do it again tonight for proof). Took Jeb to Minmus under 18T, less than 30 parts, without patched conics, and no solar panels; then bought him home again. My first attempt at landing on Min blew up my engine (no landing struts to save weight); who knew mint ice cream was so hard; so I had to use F9 there; also set my Pe too low on last aero brake returning to Kerbin so smashed into the ground, so had to use F9 again. Not too shabby I reckon.

Will see about recording it and uploading l8er...

Edited by killakrust

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Did this for another challenge, but it fits here:

Five parts, landed on Minmus and the Mun and returned safely. :)

3 things

1: Five parts? That's awesome

2: Mun AND Minmus? That's outrages!!!

3: Why is everything so bright?

On 9.3.2016 at 6:59 PM, Jasonden said:

Okay, with evidence this time.  2 parts to Minmus!  Gotta think that this is the theoretical minimum.  Right?  I mean, right? :)

Damn, just did it with 2 parts as well and now I'm not even first. However I did it without any mods. Would you be able to do it without them too? (Will upload a vid soon btw)

7 hours ago, CallisTrOn Entertainment said:

Damn, just did it with 2 parts as well and now I'm not even first. However I did it without any mods. Would you be able to do it without them too? (Will upload a vid soon btw)

Probably, but I'm happy to allow you to bask in the unmodded glory on this one! :) 

Thank you for this challenge! As a sandbox-only player, who isn't used to part count restrictions, I couldn't believe the framerate I was getting!

I can not possibly compete in the department "lowest possible part count", and I'm not really good at efficient orbital mechanics either.

So instead of trying for best economics, I decided to make full use of the 30 part "budget" allowed by the rules, and tried to make a vehicle that has enough delta-V margin to allow for sloppy maneuvering, is easy and relaxing to operate, and has carefree electrics. On a good day, you can even get it back home, where it shouldn't embarrass you too much if your neighbors spot it in the driveway.

The delta-V margin came in handy, because I immediately botched the Minmus insertion burn. After a traditional plane change, it was already too late for a proper efficient burn, and I was too lazy to wait one orbit. So I hamfistwiggled the radial knob on the node to get some encounter at all, and did a few correction burns on the way.

The "MMC-30P" also proved capable of a Mun return mission in an un-kerballed test flight. However, it's a bit less relaxing to set it onto the surface there, and the fuel does not allow for long cruise flight to the KSC in case the reentry lacks precision. Aerobraking was never tested. All 30 parts are visible without clipping, except for one light.

To demonstrate ease of handling, the mission was flown by newly hired pilot Eillotte, who went to space for the very first time. Did it all by herself, and had a great Minmus vacation in blissful solitude.

Wait, how much parts did Turbo Pumped use for his Minmus shuttle?

Ok, just checked: 25.

Oh, and a message to the OP: Could you maybe post an album or video to certify you completed this challenge yourself?

Edited by Candlelight

11 minutes ago, Radon86 said:

Oh, and a message to the OP: Could you maybe post an album or video to certify you completed this challenge yourself?

That's not a requirement for a challenge, and is generally only asked for when the challenge seems impossible (this one clearly isn't).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.