How many/what mods will you run once 1.1 and 64-bit KSP drops?

GoldForest

How many mods will you run with 1.1 and 64-bit?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many mods will you run with 1.1 and 64-bit?

• Less than 10
    • Less than 20
    • Less than 30
    • Less than 40
    • I have 64-gigs of ram... I'm not worried about the amount.
    • 128 Gigs of ram! Whoo! ALL THE MODS!
    • I fear the kraken and yee should too!!! Arh! Let us be getting out of here me mateys! *Sails away on the Black Pearl with Jack Sparrow*

At the moment im on 46. Basically the USI constellation and a few part packs so i can actually launch and use them, as well as some qol mods (i include far with those). I get six scene changes before it crashes.

if i could use all of my ram i would put in RO, EL and some visual enhancements as well, and B9. I miss B9.

2 minutes ago, SinBad said:

At the moment im on 46. Basically the USI constellation and a few part packs so i can actually launch and use them, as well as some qol mods (i include far with those). I get six scene changes before it crashes.

if i could use all of my ram i would put in RO, EL and some visual enhancements as well, and B9. I miss B9.

How much ram do you have?

@GoldForest32 atm. Mobo is half full (wife promised me the other half for my birthday, but thats way out in november). Not that it matters in 32bit. Why? Do you think six scene changes is too often? It loads around 2.9, then creeps up to 3.5ish and crashes.  i do use an active texture manager, i cant remember which one, its the one that unloads the textures until you need to use them. I also run with 1/8th texture resolution in the settings. Its ugly. But the physics still work ;)

7 minutes ago, SinBad said:

@GoldForest32 atm. Mobo is half full (wife promised me the other half for my birthday, but thats way out in november). Not that it matters in 32bit. Why? Do you think six scene changes is too often? It loads around 2.9, then creeps up to 3.5ish and crashes.  i do use an active texture manager, i cant remember which one, its the one that unloads the textures until you need to use them. I also run with 1/8th texture resolution in the settings. Its ugly. But the physics still work ;)

Lol. I plan on upgrading to 64 Gigs as well. Running 16 right now.

21 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Since 1.1 is getting unbroken(*crosses fingers*/*Knocks on wood*) 64-bit version of KSP, how many mods will you be running since the 3.5 GBs will be passable?

I won't run any more mods than I already do. I just hope it will use the full capabilities of the processor, instead of most of the program only operating in one core.

1 hour ago, Wild Cobra said:

I won't run any more mods than I already do. I just hope it will use the full capabilities of the processor, instead of most of the program only operating in one core.

I've heard that ksp will still use one core for physics loading(which causes most lag), but other tasks will most likely be multicore.

Difficult to say because it opens a whole new world. I have 20-30 mods I usually use but so far I have not used graphical mods except in 0.90 when I played in Linux. I came back to Windows because I felt it important to be able to run other software when I play. I have 16 GB memory and it gives possibility to use nice mods and certainly I will try something.

Well, my system is sporting the i7-4790, which according to PassMark, is the 7th fasted processor for single core speeds. The fastest is the i7-4790K. Once I go over maybe 400 parts, I max out the one core being used for the critical part of the game. The utility Passmark allows you to download and benchmark with shows I have about a 7% gain if I turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS. A 14.75% increase in physics.

Passmark Test HT ON HT OFF Percent
CPU Mark 7956 8504 106.89%
CPU - Integer Math 10065 10123 100.58%
CPU - Floating Point Math 8096 9044 111.71%
CPU - Prime Numbers 37.6 45.3 120.48%
CPU - Extended Instructions (SSE) 27.9 29.1 104.30%
CPU - Compression 9268 9823 105.99%
CPU - Encryption 1441 1520 105.48%
CPU - Physics 522 599 114.75%
CPU - Sorting 5783 6250 108.08%
CPU - Single Threaded 2331 2380 102.10%

12 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I've heard that ksp will still use one core for physics loading(which causes most lag), but other tasks will most likely be multicore.

Well then only the 64 bit addressing will do me any good. That 3.5 GB limit is hit at about 2,300 to 2,600 parts, depending on parts and edits.

I have 32 GB of memory!

I have the GT 720 graphics card in my system which is is capable of handling this game no sweat. I have the GTX 950M in my laptop. It could probably handle 10 times what this game gives it or more. My laptop also does almost as good as my tower with it's i7-4720HQ and 16 GB.

Edited by Wild Cobra

14 hours ago, Wild Cobra said:

I won't run any more mods than I already do.

This is pretty much my thought.  I'm not having a problem with memory, and the mods I run now are the ones I want.  I'll probably lose some due to incompatibility and lack of updates, though.  If more mods I like show up, I'll add them to the list.

7 hours ago, Wild Cobra said:

Well, my system is sporting the i7-4790, which according to PassMark, is the 7th fasted processor for single core speeds. The fastest is the i7-4790K. Once I go over maybe 400 parts, I max out the one core being used for the critical part of the game. The utility Passmark allows you to download and benchmark with shows I have about a 7% gain if I turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS. A 14.75% increase in physics.

Passmark Test HT ON HT OFF Percent
CPU Mark 7956 8504 106.89%
CPU - Integer Math 10065 10123 100.58%
CPU - Floating Point Math 8096 9044 111.71%
CPU - Prime Numbers 37.6 45.3 120.48%
CPU - Extended Instructions (SSE) 27.9 29.1 104.30%
CPU - Compression 9268 9823 105.99%
CPU - Encryption 1441 1520 105.48%
CPU - Physics 522 599 114.75%
CPU - Sorting 5783 6250 108.08%
CPU - Single Threaded 2331 2380 102.10%

There's actually no real world performance gain or loss with turning hyperthreading off. I wouldn't turn it off at all as some of your free performance will be unused.

Here's the best way to explain hyperthreading:

Hyperthreading Takes unused performance of a core, and uses it for another task. Most people think, "Hyperthreading makes my four core an eight core!" This is not the case. HT just takes the idle time of your CPU and makes it into load time.

Example without HT: 
Core 1: Task 1: 64.6% load - 35.4% - idle

That 35.4% is unused cycles, which means your CPU actually idles for that 35.4%. Hyperthreading makes it so that your CPU doesn't idle and works 100% of the time. That 35.4% might be nanoseconds or milliseconds, but it's still unused performance.
Example with HT:
Core 1: Task 1: 64.6%
Core 1 HT: Task 2: 35.4%

LinusTechTips has an excellent video showing that HT on has identical performance most of the time compared to HT off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkDKucAI1M

If KSP is getting HT support, or better HT support, I would recommend keeping HT on, even if the physics load stays single core non HTed load, as the other tasks KSP runs will use that HT performance.

1.1 isn't going to change how many mods I used, considering I use the super forbidden workaround.please don't lynch me

Other than that, I'll be playing with stock until mods get updated. Probably be working on my mod a little bit too.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:18 PM, Sequinox said:

1.1 isn't going to change how many mods I used, considering I use the super forbidden workaround.please don't lynch me

Other than that, I'll be playing with stock until mods get updated. Probably be working on my mod a little bit too.

Mods will most likely be updated before 1.1 even hits your computer as they aren't doing a regular experimental release, instead they are releasing beta's on steam now. All mods have to do is msg one of the staff of Squad, ask for a beta key, and then get to work. I wouldn't be surprised if someone released a 1.1 mod tmrw.

Considering that my highest amount of mods (including tiny tiny patches!) on record for 1.0.5 is SIXTY, on something that I'm pretty sure is around 16 gigs of ram or maybe even 8... 

I feel confident.

48 minutes ago, Wild Cobra said:

Then how do you explain my benchmark testing showing improvement?

Whether or not Hyperthreading increases performance depends completely on the load. KSP's physics is probably the kind of load that does not benefit, but I haven't run any tests. Remember, if you read it in this thread, and it had any of the words "thread", "core", or "hyperthread", it's probably false.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.