Most Creative Use of the New Inflatable Heat Shield

As you know, we are getting the long-awaited 1.1 update, complete with Porkjet's new amazing inflatable heat shield.  This Challenge is to encourage creative use of the new part.  

We all suspect it will work as an epic heat shield, but what else can it do?

Will it work as a bouncy bottom for a Spirit-style Duna lithobrake?

Can it function as a sunshade for your Laythe beach resort?

Can it handle Jool-Kerbin aerobrake transfer retrograde burning in at 20K?

Will it work as a bouy to raise your submarine?

Can Jeb wear it as a hat?

Show me your best use of this new part!

wkN8nDc.png

Sadly, I purchased this game directly through Squad, so I don't have the Steam early access.  I can't show my attempt for a week or 2, but go ahead.  Taunt me.  Show me what the new version can do!

Edit: Yes I know Experimental is still going. But HYPE!

Edited by Jetski

Yeah, only a select few people are currently playing with the new toys in 1.1, and they can't show us anything yet. We all gotta wait, but I'll be sure to see what I can do for your challenge when it comes out!

1 hour ago, luizopiloto said:

It's not really a heatshield... It's more like a giant airbrake... it reduces speed faster so the craft creates less heat...

So can it be used as a parachute???

12 hours ago, cubinator said:

I wonder if deploying and retracting several of them in the right way would allow for a vehicle that 'crawls'?

I'm hoping really for a bouncy effect on deploy for some sweet lithobrake ng effects. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 at 5:52 PM, cubinator said:

I wonder if deploying and retracting several of them in the right way would allow for a vehicle that 'crawls'?

Apparently they can't be retracted? Can anyone confirm this?

2 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Yep. Disposable heat shield. :(

I'm sure someone will create a simple .cfg patch/mod that will reverse the animation and put it's internal physics data back to it's retracted state, it's not all that hard to do, actually.

but I'm glad this part exists, now my giant asparagus-fueled Eve return rockets don't need the 49x 3.5m heatshields under the main engines.

Edited by Xyphos

22 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

I'm sure someone will create a simple .cfg patch/mod that will reverse the animation and put it's internal physics data back to it's retracted state, it's not all that hard to do, actually.

but I'm glad this part exists, now my giant asparagus-fueled Eve return rockets don't need the 49x 3.5m heatshields under the main engines.

Pics please :)

5 hours ago, Xyphos said:

of what?

The title of this thread is "Most Creative Use of the New Inflatable Heat Shield".  Thought you were saying you were using or had used the new heat shield.  Upon a closer reading, this appears to not be the case :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.