Favorite Planet/Moon

Zer0Winds

First of all, sorry if there's already a thread on this... I didn't really see any, then again, I didn't really look.

So, what's your favorite planet? Moons will work too, so more like celestial body? My planet would probably be Eve, despite still not being able to land on it... My moon is either Vall or Ike.

Just now, Zer0Winds said:

My moon is either Vall or Ike

Nope, both of them. That's all

Minmus. Because that was what spurred me to abandon the demo and buy the game. I'd been playing around with the demo, getting things to orbit. At that time, I was under the impression that there was the sun (Kerbol), Kerbin and Mun. And that was all!

After I'd gotten good enough that I was consistently getting rockets into orbit and was on my way to planning Mun missions, I began consistently noticing a small green thing on the horizon when I was in orbit. At first I thought it was space junk from previous launches. Then I started wondering if the game had actual UFOs in it. (which would have been ironic in a game about little green men)

I started trying to find it on the map so I could intercept it and became confused when I was able to SEE it in map mode but it had no visible orbit. Then I accidentally zoomed out enough to reveal Minmus orbit and was shocked to realize there was an entire new moon for me to explore. Then I zoomed out a bit more and realized there was an entire STAR SYSTEM!!!

So I ended up buying the game because of Minmus. (Until then, Minecraft had been the game that I consistently spent all my time playing, so it's also Minmus' fault I don't Minecraft anymore)

I also would have to go with Minmus for favorite moon.  I have recently really gotten into building larger all encompassing (not literally, but functionally) bases and with the vicinity, the large flat areas, low gravity, and general environment, Minmus stands above all others.

Planet-wise, I want to say in a non-stock answer, I really like Arkas and Piggie a lot.

My favorite's still Duna, though I haven't back there in a LONG time--a few hundred comic pages, at least :) 

It's not hard to get to, a "just right" atmosphere that allows for easy landings and takeoffs of a variety of craft. Varied terrain, red alien landscapes... I still remember the fun on flying the old Hummlebee spaceplane along "Bigger's Canyon". And as a bonus, Ike is really close and easy to visit once you're in the Duna system. 

Probably Kerbin/Minmus, if for no other reason than Minmus is easy to mess around with and Kerbin looks pretty with my cloud mod. Also it's the only places I usually end up going to.

3 hours ago, RW-1 said:

I wish we could setup a secondary spaceport (VAB / Launchpad) on minmus ..... :)

Ah, wouldn't that make the game so much easier, with that gravity? Eh, my brother said the same thing, but on the Mun. (Though he's clueless about this game. In fact... My whole family is... They don't listen to me talk about it... Hm...)

Planet has to be duna.  I still remember the time when i recreated this massive and i mean massive 5000 or so total part count lunar corporation base on that planet composed of like 10 complexes each ~3km apart so i didnt lag to my death).  Then tried to take out the thing using BDArmory (this was around teh time BDA was released and before it was so popular), and lost tons of tanks/air units trying to deal with the 100 or so sentry guns all over.  Those were fun times, although these days i dont use BDA anymore as its too easy and stock c9ombat is more of a challenge and more fun.

As for moon, id say minmus for a few reasons.  One, its very easy to get to mods or not, which makes sending stuff there even in large quantities not time consuming.  Doing anything there requires minimal dV, which opens the door to flying around with virtually anything.  It also looks amazing (if you have a particular derivative of EVE mod, that ads green clouds which just gives minmus that alien vibe and to some extent makes it look creepy (and reminds me of this planet from another game with evil aliens on it).  Theres a good reason most of my battles are done around minmus, you dont need to have excessive dV to engage multiple targets with a single vessel, you can land even ships that have no reason to try (managed a few emergency landings with 100t capital ships there actually).

Otherwise, i like every place in KSP to some extent, although the 2 places i dont even bother with these days is eve and moho.  Moho has very few defining features, and just takes too much dV and effort to get to for the minimal things you can do there.  Eve, well its Eve, you cant really do anything there that doesnt take tons of effort, and combat is just impossible.  Given that 90% of what i do in KSP is combat related, dropping vehicles on Eve, and then shooting at other things is just too much work and isnt all that much fun.  Really the only super neat thing in the eve system in gilly, since its basically 0 gravity, but again, you cant fight there as such low gravity that vehicles are impossible to use, and if im gonna do starfighter/spaceships, there are many places to do that at that doesnt require that much difficulty in getting to.  Most of the time i spend either kerbin system (mun and minmus offer plenty of opportunities for battles), duna, or jool.  Eeloo is also somewhere i go on occasion, but i guess its starting to become one of those planets that just takes too long to fly over to due to the sheer time requirements.

With OPM: Tekto (as long as cloud mod is installed)

Stock: Quite fond of Pol... But Mün, Laythe, Vall and Minmus are close contenders (In proper order).
I wish Pol could be closer to Jool, even closer than Laythe...  Ummm... I might have to Hyper-edit something and change Jool's texture to Jupiter.  That would be an awesome spot for a base =)

Planet: Eve. Because it's so strange and alien.... beautifully purple from afar yet a torturous place of misery on the surface.

Moon: Laythe. Because it's a beautiful looking habitable moon with great views of Jool. I haven't been there yet, but I currently have a probe heading to it, it's gonna take a loooong time to get there though... My ultimate objective in KSP is to build a large colony on it's surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.