Tory Bruno of ULA on KSP Livestream

DasValdez

6 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Awesome! I'm not sure if I'll even have time to watch it today though...

Das, will the stream be archived to your Twitch channel?

Absolutely, will update when the VOD link is ready!

2 hours ago, Sanic said:

@DasValdez Will RSS or any part mods be used in the KSP gameplay?

Sanic... We're sticking to stock for now... at least, until the official ULA mod is released...

Wait, what? :D

1 hour ago, DasValdez said:

We're sticking to stock for now... at least, until the official ULA mod is released...

Is that what EJ's been working himself ragged over?

8 hours a day on his 'mystery project' + streaming made me worry for his health!

Edited by NoMrBond

3 hours ago, UpsilonAerospace said:

(...) But Das is also seemingly on a crusade to critique some aspects of KSP. It's a little weird that one of the saltiest people towards the game will also be the one trying to show off how good it is. (...)

No no no, that is the other Das Valdez you're talking about. At least I assume. The Das Valdez  I watch is hard to surpass as free advertising for KSP, so that cannot be the one you're talking about. Sure, he'll point out the occasional bug/annoyance, but it requires a huge leap to translate that to "one of the saltiest people towards the game"

In case anyone wants the link for the VOD of just the interview you can nab it here. http://www.twitch.tv/dasvaldez/v/53283711 Well worth the time--hear about how Mr. Bruno first started getting into rocketry (a few of his rockets made it into flight before exploding!), and how Das offered one neat trick to improve fuel transfer between vehicles that ULA might have to look into :-P But seriously, a very fun, a very informative, and very real interview--absolutely worth checking out at least once :-)

ULA mod preview (not ready yet) (not 100% sure who's involved, but at least ej_sa, and ULA has been assisting as I understand it, but I don't know in what capacity)

VWmcJAl.png

Edited by kujuman

53 minutes ago, Glaran K'erman said:

I'm confused, so there is going to be an official ULA mod?

As I understand it (and I might be completely off-base), it's official as in "Approved by" or "Developed with Assistance of" ULA, but it might not at all be "SQUAD official", if that makes sense.

Most 'celebrity' appearances on shows are to promote something. The impression I got was that the purpose of this appearance was to discuss their  new orbital tug-esque upper stage concept/technology. Am I being too cyncial/fanboy in assuming that all of this innovation has been brought about by the disrupter known as SpaceX? And ULA is trying to generate some of their own grassroots buzz?

6 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

I think I heard about this back in February from someone, and I was skeptical. Good to know it will happen! (or were you joking about that?)

It is a project we are working on with ULA's input. Squad is in the loop as well. Not sure exactly how to label it as "official" yet... not sure if it's "Asteroid day" style or "ULA Official Mod for KSP" style. Stay tuned. :)

13 minutes ago, SgtSomeone said:

Most 'celebrity' appearances on shows are to promote something. The impression I got was that the purpose of this appearance was to discuss their  new orbital tug-esque upper stage concept/technology. Am I being too cyncial/fanboy in assuming that all of this innovation has been brought about by the disrupter known as SpaceX? And ULA is trying to generate some of their own grassroots buzz?

I've been building "extensible" infrastructure in KSP since I started playing, inspired by the Von Braun style Space Transport System. I think I originally caught the bug when I stumbled across some art from Drell7 on deviantart. STS style tug missions were some of the first things I streamed on Twitch. :)

The ACES concept was pretty close to this, and I floated it as one of the show topics to ULA... really, it gave me some cool ships to show off and fly during the hour long Q&A session, which covered everything from Vulcan to cube sats to Tory making rockets as a youth. :)

18 minutes ago, SgtSomeone said:

This is one situation where I'm finding that even the most nefarious possible motives and backstory still make me grin from ear to ear. If SpaceX eats their lunch, maybe ULA can enjoy a nice corporate afterlife as recipient of royalties paid by SQUAD in exchange for licensing of an official mod with the rockets they used to make. :sticktongue:

On 3/10/2016 at 5:34 PM, HebaruSan said:

This is one situation where I'm finding that even the most nefarious possible motives and backstory still make me grin from ear to ear. If SpaceX eats their lunch, maybe ULA can enjoy a nice corporate afterlife as recipient of royalties paid by SQUAD in exchange for licensing of an official mod with the rockets they used to make. :sticktongue:

I wouldn't make that kind of assumption. I don't think money is involved here, and "official" seems to mean, in this case, that ULA are aware of and a-okay with this. The impression I got from watching the stream is that Mr. Bruno really digs how a lot of people are getting into space and how KSP has been a vehicle for that. Of course positive public perception can help with their bottom line, but the main takeaway I get is that Tory Bruno, like Elon Musk, is really into his work and the more people interested in it, the better for everyone. 

Now I could be wrong, and there could be some licensing going on behind the scenes, but I'd hesitate to assume that Squad is doing anything more than giving a thumbs up to this. The way I see it, a group of talented KSP enthusiasts are putting together a modpack based on ULA's launchers, ULA says "Go for it!", and Squad of course likes it for the visibility it brings to the game. Wins all around, imo.

4 hours ago, jonrd463 said:

I wouldn't make that kind of assumption. I don't think money is involved here, and "official" seems to mean, in this case, that ULA are aware of and a-okay with this. The impression I got from watching the stream is that Mr. Bruno really digs how a lot of people are getting into space and how KSP has been a vehicle for that. Of course positive public perception can help with their bottom line, but the main takeaway I get is that Tory Bruno, like Elon Musk, is really into his work and the more people interested in it, the better for everyone. 

Now I could be wrong, and there could be some licensing going on behind the scenes, but I'd hesitate to assume that Squad is doing anything more than giving a thumbs up to this. The way I see it, a group of talented KSP enthusiasts are putting together a modpack based on ULA's launchers, ULA says "Go for it!", and Squad of course likes it for the visibility it brings to the game. Wins all around, imo.

Oh, you're absolutely right, I'm sure there's no money involved in the actual mod. My scenario was for entertainment purposes only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.